Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The last time the Rangers and Kings played each other in the playoffs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_KKCQTUwwI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I feel like it's a little easier to get off work early and catch the 5pm game than it is to stay up until 1am watching a game but that's just me

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ThinkTank posted:

I had a good employer in 2011 and was allowed to leave just after 3:30PST each day so I could get downtown for the games I went to, but it was a nightmare. Anyone who has a rigid 9-5 would be in trouble. As someone who has spent larger portions of his life in both time zones, I've always felt that 8:30EST/5:30PST would be an acceptable compromise, but I guess that clashes with a lot of TV programming.

Yeah true the LA area is crap for getting home if you're commuting by car and all that

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

CBJSprague24 posted:

This series sounds like it's going to be a boring matchup and I don't know who to pull for. Plus, Nash vs. Carter. Oh God.

Root for Brassard and Dorsett, they seem likeable

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

If McDonagh has another monster series AND the Rangers hold Doughty in check, he might be a decent candidate but that requires more to happen than if Lundqvist just Lundqvist's

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

CBJSprague24 posted:

Dorsett was likeable until he left Columbus, so I don't know what happened.

He's likeable when he's on your team, not so much if your team is playing against him. He had a bit of a rough start with the Rangers and did some stupid poo poo resulting in dumb penalties, but he got sorted out and when he's healthy and ready to play he's quite good in his role. I like him as a fourth liner with Boyle and Moore, he skates a lot faster than you'd think by looking at his stride and never passes up a chance to throw a big hit on the forecheck.

quote:

Nash yielded Dubinsky (owns, probable captain), Anisimov (owns), Erixon (ehh), and Rychel, who sounds like he could be a stud.

Carter lost Columbus Voracek, but became JMFJ (mixed bag, but the CBJ needed help on the blue line at the time) and Marko Dano, who I guess the Jackets are excited about, too. I wouldn't be disappointed to have Voracek back, though.

Brassard (center depth), Moore (Dalton Prout, Tim Erixon), and Dorsett (punchman who can score sometimes) were expendable at the time they were traded for Gaborik, which felt like a worthwhile deal. Jarmo himself admitted it didn't go like they would've liked it to, but I'm still not sure trading him at the Deadline was totally necessary other than "getting something out of him" seeing as he'd had 14 points in 22 games this season.

In some ways the trades probably worked out alright for both teams, though I still wish the Rangers had Dubinsky. Nash hasn't been amazing for the Rangers but he's still been pretty good, even if his playoff stats aren't great. I actually like Brassard a lot even if he'll also probably never totally live up to his talent level, Moore as well. They've all just kind of gelled nicely with the team and I can't complain about the position they're in now.

Really the only guy I miss a lot is Dubinsky, but what are you gonna do?

Habibi posted:

Haha like that would help.

Meh just get up in the morning and drive to the beach for the day. LA traffic blows but it's still doable if you avoid the times you know are high traffic.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

That seems obscenely high to me :stare:

Has anyone here spent that much on just one ticket?

That's what happens in a city full of investment bankers and poo poo like that...takes a lot of money to live in Manhattan so those people probably have the cash to spend on hockey games.

Still, that's a loving lot. I can't imagine they won't sell out but it sucks for the people who are big fans but can't afford those prices

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

onemillionzombies posted:

As a bitter Hawks fan who can unfortunately relate to Dominic Moore the Rangers are the clear choice here.

dang dude :(

ThinkTank posted:

New York is largely in the same situation. There was a spike of interest in 94, but it faded quickly. Tickets might be expensive, but as I understand it the hype in the city is still fairly muted. All it will take is the Jets to sign a new running back or the Yankees to go on a 5 game winning streak for everyone to forget about hockey again.

The lockout immediately after the '94 cup was a killer, and '94 itself was special in a lot of ways, can't really hope to compare this run to that.

I think if the Rangers won you'd see a pretty big explosion in fandom

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The "easier path to the finals" part is dumb but the Rangers did get 5 days off which could be a pretty big deal at this stage with both teams having played a bunch. I guess the theory is also that the Kings have played more physical series' and therefor might be more beat up but I'm not betting on that one.

I think the rest could make a difference but it's something the Rangers have to exploit, not just something that will hand games to them on a platter

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zodijackylite posted:

Seemed like Lewis and Clifford were benched when things got tight in game 7, and Richards got some more ice time. I think the Rangers fourth line is great because they have two guys who could be third line centers on there (Moore/Boyle) and Dorsett has even been playing well - I didn't know until recently that he was fast and good on the forecheck.

What I like about the Rangers fourth line is that there's no need to bench them in a tight game, AV can just keep rolling his lines. They're great on draws, defensively, forechecking and sustaining pressure in the offensive zone, and can score some goals.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah Richards needs to step up, get more of his shots on net and distribute the puck better. Also really needs to step up on the powerplay.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

and they've only faced average defenses and goaltending

rabble rabble rabble

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

DOOMocrat posted:

And this is why the Rangers can't fall into the same trap they almost fell into with Montreal getting frustrated. You last a lot longer if you don't bother with that type of game and wear yourself out trying to counter-punch. Chicago could have gotten itself into way worse trouble.

Hell, the Bruins have made a career out of that lately.

what same trap with Montreal?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

yessssssssssss get that mans name on the cup

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Emetic Hustler posted:

He's already there. I guess a second time wouldn't hurt.

I know, I just like the idea of Carcillo getting his name on the cup some more

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

CBJSprague24 posted:

Has anybody mentioned that Carbomb was a member of the Kings earlier this season yet?

I didn't mention it but I knew it.

Gotta admit him scoring the cup winning goal on Quick would be awesome.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I don't get why anyone really gives a poo poo. I haven't seen people argue this fiercely over suspensions from dangerous hits.Ya'll just seem to be eager to bitch about the NHL

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Stickarts posted:

It's because for generations the NHL was a borderline mockery precisely because it allowed events like this to go unpunished. I don't like when my favourite sport reveals itself to be irredeemably bush. Why don't we have players climbing into the stands to confront fans again? The NHL is dumb, hypocritical, and does not give a flying gently caress about safety more than what saves them from public opinion. I can't wait for that concussion lawsuit that started to pick up steam.

This is true of every loving sport, it's not limited to the NHL.

The NFL actively interfered with scientific research on concussions because they didn't want to be assed (or liable) to deal with the fact that their sport causes brain damage among its players. Not to mention they're more concerned about fining players for social media infractions or not wearing the "correct brand of clothing" than they are about seriously dealing with dangerous hits.

e: I just get annoyed when people act like the NHL is some sideshow compared to other sports leagues that are held up on this pedestal of greatness. They're all run by rich white guys who would prefer to make as much money as possible and hardly give a gently caress about anything else that goes on unless they're forced to.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I read this and can only think "holy poo poo gently caress you Martin Madden"

http://nypost.com/2014/06/02/the-incredible-saga-of-how-rangers-lucked-upon-lundqvist/

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ZeeBoi posted:

Please don't read the post

It's actually a decent article about how the Rangers selected Lundqvist

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Vicas posted:

That Henrik Lundqvist was taken in the 7th round in a draft where Rick DiPietro was taken first overall really speaks volumes on how goalie drafting is only barely a step above literal voodoo

I mean that was also nearly 14 years ago I'd like to think scouting has maybe progressed a bit...

Still I'd really like to see the Rangers start picking some Finnish or Swedish goalies in the draft as Lundqvist gets older. They seem to go for guys who play in the CHL and maybe I'm just wrong but there seem to be fewer later round CHL goalies that turn out.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I have no idea, hadn't heard that but I haven't been diving into draft rumors as much these days.

I figure Lundqvist has 4 years of great play left in him and hopefully the remaining 3 on his contract will be pretty good and the Rangers can be transitioning to another goalie at the end there, which means in 2-3 years they should really be going hard to find a replacement and start developing him.

And maybe I'm being optimistic about Lundqvist's longevity but here's hoping anyways

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

they just recently signed the goalie they picked in 2013, the ridiculously named Mackenzie Skapski, to an elc, and he looks better than their last handful of goalie picks (scott stajcer and antoine lafleur and i guess there was another one in there somewhere i dunno), so maybe there's hope that they're starting to figure out what a decent junior goalie looks like

Yeah, Skapski was really good in the playoffs for his team. Still, I'm not the timeframe is right for him to come in as Hanks successor, but whatever, even if he can be a good backup that helps.

Zamboni Jesus posted:

apparently cam talbot has some kind of injury and david leneveu (who?) is the backup so don't get hurt hank because lol the rangers are really hosed if that happened

Used to be the goalie of the future for the Coyotes! Was traded to the Rangers for Al Montoya back in the day, then fell off the face of the earth for awhile. Rangers signed him to play in Hartford this past season because the Wolfpack's goaltending was a complete disaster and they needed someone competent at at least the AHL level

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Vicas posted:

"The Rangers/Devils/Islanders beat/lost to <x>, and in the NBA the Knicks..."

Still suck

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Aye Doc posted:

I think that this hypothetical player would be okay with it. in fact, im pretty sure if there were a guy on the rangers who never dressed or played, but was just responsible for tonguing hank's rear end in a top hat clean after every poo poo he took and during particularly sweaty intermissions, he would be overwhelmingly happy to have â€The Human Toilet Paper, John Moore†engraved in size 2000 font on the cup

You mean Justin Falk

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

xzzy posted:

Gotta feel bad for him, I'm sure he had a moment of "oh bloody hell what the gently caress do I do now?" And then promptly did what he's been programmed to do, and it all went to poo poo.

I guess chip it behind the net and hope reinforcements can do something? He did have some help looping back into the zone. I guess I don't know what the NHL player's view of putting the puck into an area like that with absolutely no support, but giving to an opponent standing on the blue line was never going to work out well.

Well basically the bouncing puck kinda hosed him...his teammates thought he had it and were headed the other way (or for a change), instead he's scrambling for the puck with 3 Kings in the zone after him. He panicked and threw it up the boards when he should have at least reversed it around the other way.

It's partly his fault for panicking, and partly his teammates fault for leaving him all alone with three opposing players in the zone with him. That said, Girardi has the problem of defaulting to "bang it up the boards" when he's pressed for time and it's not really a good strategy. He has come a long ways and actually makes some good exit passes these days but he needs a little time to do those.

Sucks they lost but it was a good game, game coulda gone either way IMO. The third period looked bad for the Rangers but most of the Kings shots weren't threatening ones. They did a good job blocking Rangers shots and controlling the puck during that time but not a lot of hard saves had to be made. Rangers came out in OT and pushed back and didn't allow the Kings to do the same thing to them again

Rangers biggest problem...need more offense that's not off the rush and to finish some chances. Also, shoot the puck, don't look to make the perfect pass to the guy who's already covered.

They need to get the split and I think they can do it but basically they need to cut down on the mistakes and capitalize on their chances a bit more.

I could see this series going long or being short but I think every game will be pretty close like this

e: also anyone who watched that game and didn't realize that Ryan McDonagh is really loving good and deserves to be talked about among the best D in the league needs to have their head checked

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Habibi posted:

On which note, that 3-on-1 with Nash was brutal.

yeah I mean the defenseman got back to make it more difficult but he either needs to move that puck sooner or just shoot it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Again I really think that third period looks worse stats wise than it was for real scoring chances. A lot of shots from above the circles with little traffic in front doesn't scream to me dangerous possessions, but since there's no way to quantify that stuff at the moment...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zamboni Jesus posted:

they also have a tendency to give huge money to not quite elite talent (scott gomez, brad richards, rick nash) or guys who have an injury history (marian gaborik - though gaborik dd have a couple quite good seasons with new york)

also every once in a while they give giant contracts to guys who are in the midst of a massive career collapse (wade redden)

The issue is more that when you have to pay for the top UFA's on the market you will end up having to pay a lot. Add in that most UFA's are hitting the market as they are starting the downside of their careers AND they generally want a big long contract, and that's the most of it.

Also, the Rangers didn't give Nash his current contract

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

He's had sweet rear end goals for the Rangers.

He's basically a pretty good goalscorer, he would have broken 30 easily this year if Brad Stuart didn't shoulder him in the jaw in like game 2 of the season. His problem is that he's not a particularly smart player...he doesn't see the ice that well so he's not really useful to setup his teammates etc, and his style is usually "do it all by himself". He's gotten a bit better but that's also probably a reason he's not scoring a lot in the playoffs...it's harder to create your own offense like that. He is really good at curling around off the boards to the middle of the ice but he needs to do that more often and get his shots through. He did that like 2 times in the first period last game but didn't get a shot through, and then never really did it again.

His shot also is amazingly not that great for a goal scorer. He's not super fast with it, it doesn't have a lot of velocity, it's just when he's on a scoring streak he's really accurate, and when he's not, well his accuracy sucks. His balance also blows.

If he was making closer to $6 mill I'd like that a lot better, it's at least closer to fair value for a guy who will probably score 30 goals for you any given year

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Also he's a ton more effective if he can get the puck when he's already skating at speed instead of trying to get up to speed with the puck himself

He's really loving amazingly good at stickhandling in tight around his feet and past people, it's mindblowing sometimes, but that skill is only useful in certain situation

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

HOW COULD YOU posted:

there is no sports game on tonight. what kinda stupid world is this

The worst.

On the other hand I'm exhausted and it'd be nice to get to sleep before 11:30 tonight. poo poo, I'm old.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Bottom line is the Rangers need to hold a loving lead regardless of luck or whatever bullshit

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yo Rangers please try to not get swept at least

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

It's weird. I would have said before the series that the Rangers would have been outplayed a lot and end up losing in six. Turns out it's been a mostly even series and they might get swept. what can you do.

I had a feeling it might be full of pretty close games but still be a short series (and figured the Kings would be on the winning end if that happened). Rangers really hosed themselves by blowing those first two games, especially game 2

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Wamsutta posted:

You can't blow consecutive 2-0 leads and expect to win the Cup against anyone, let alone the Kings. Between that and the absolutely back-breaking buzzer goal at the end of the first last night, it's been made obvious how outmatched the Rangers are. I'm still gonna watch game 4, and am hoping really really hard you guys, but they've made all the wrong mistakes, haven't gotten some key calls, and are flat-out being beaten by a better team. It's hard to be mad when you see where they were in October, but here we are, and it sure is disappointing to watch everything just unravel.

Well that's the frustrating thing, it's not like the Kings have actually LOOKED like the better team, they just...score the timely goals or get timely saves or whatever the gently caress. Which isn't to say that the Kings aren't an excellent team or aren't better than the Rangers, it's just the frustrating feeling of "if that bounced the Rangers way instead we'd be looking at the Rangers being up in this series" and since there's no real way to quantify hockey "luck" it's tough to point to something exactly and say "well here's exactly why the Kings are winning" other than they scored the clutch goals in OT and got the deflection goals last night and Quick had a good game but those things are pretty superficial for analysis

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

well you can probably track any event back far enough to "someone hosed up"...in that case the Rangers gave up a 2 on 1 and the end result was a goal, but the specific play was pretty lucky

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mind_Taker posted:

"Making your own luck" to me is just taking more shots than the opposition, which means that your team has more opportunities for a bullshit bounce than the other team.

Except the Rangers wildly outshot LA last night and didn't get one bullshit bounce into the net :argh:

e: a net that wasn't their own net that is

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

LmaoTheKid posted:

I hear there's gonna be cake!

oh poo poo Rick Nash might actually show up tomorrow

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

can someone point me to an explanation of why relCF% is a meaningful stat (i.e., not utterly confounded by other factors) for evaluating individual players?

it's not +/- is the only useful stat

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rotten Cookies posted:

More like bored meeting, right?

yeah buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Austrian mook posted:

Doughty is better at hitting and being Canadian over Karlson. That's about it

E: also don't use career playoff points to qualify a players worth do we need to have the clutch argument again

Doughty's better at defense too, Karlsson really isn't very good at actually defending despite what Ottawa fan boys want to say. excellent at transition once he gets the puck in the defensive zone, yes, but bad positionally

• Locked thread