Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
Loaded it up again and I'm just really not enjoying the flight model right now :(

I'm certain it will get better as they tweak it and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops, but for now it makes me want to play more Elite instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NostrilBreaker
Mar 8, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

What's a cheap and decent joystick if I want to go all sperg mode on this? I hate controllers and won't spend more than like $30.

e: http://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-Extreme-Joystick-Silver-Black/dp/B00009OY9U oh my god this is perfect, is this horrible? Logitech products generally rule.

I own one of those and it's still going strong after ~5 years. I wish it had more buttons, but it most definitely does the job it was supposed to do.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just ordered one, should be here tomorrow, thanks guys. Logitech makes the best peripherals in my opinion, and the occasional time I've had to do a warranty exchange after like 2 year it's been a fast easy new replacement thing.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I finally got in and tried some free flight with a 360 controller.

Is there any way to turn off rumble that anyone has figured out?

Also bugs me that "invert controller" doesn't actually invert it all. The look is still stuck on pull-down, push-up while the flight is where it's supposed to be with pull-up, push-down.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
An alternative recommendation for a low-price stick http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-2960706-Thrustmaster-T-16000M-Flight/dp/B001S0RTU0

Had it for a while, no complaints.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
a pub on RSI sums it up pretty well:

quote:

Flight model atm seem to have 3 major issues.

Time to Top speed is too short, so acceleration does not matter.

Time to Turn is in less than a few seconds, so turning does not matter.

Time to Full stop is less than 2 seconds so speed does not matter.

"that's pretty much basic "basic as in bare bones" dogfighting, if all of that does not matter then what matters is damage output, its Very easy to aim and shoot right now, and "turrets" compound the issue but that can be balanced in other ways.

Then you have the 2nd part of combat, of arrows showing you exactly where the enemy is, which has the infinite loop issue found in most Space Mplay games.

ED used a Max turn rate at half speed, this means you create far more possible dogfighting outcomes, so the fights in ED look more like the starwar fights or the BSG fights as things have mass.

ATM right now this looks like helicopters in space, it might not show as SP, but in in Mplayer it will be quite clear. regardless of stick or Mouse or mind control, the results will be the same.

At the moment it's a bouncy, floaty, slow, lovely experience.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

THF13 posted:

An alternative recommendation for a low-price stick http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-2960706-Thrustmaster-T-16000M-Flight/dp/B001S0RTU0

I have this and the logitech 3d, if you can spare the extra $15 go for this one.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

THF13 posted:

$50 on the .ca site versus $30, nah. I'll be very happy with the Logitech one I'm sure.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I'm still downloading it, but it sounds like it controls exactly like Wing Commander. Ultra fast acceleration, crazy turn speed on every axis, massive afterburner boosts, powerful missiles, fragile ships and relatively slow projectiles. All about dodging every shot and trying to get as close to the enemy as possible so your slow shots can hit a dodging enemy.

It's the opposite of Elite's model - but they're both valid. It's just that the Wing Commander model sucks for multiplayer and is awesome for singleplayer.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

THF13 posted:

Anyone running this on a Nvidia 770 2GB that can comment on performance at 1080? Was planning to pick one of those up.

That's what I have, and I have no problems running maxed out at 1080p.

As for my impressions of the game, I will wait for multiplayer to be sure but this has the same feeling as the start of the MWO beta. Unpolished and rough, but the core experience seems fun.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ijyt posted:

So is this thing "good" good or "denial" good?

Better than BF4 at launch by virtue of actually working.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Banano posted:

a pub on RSI sums it up pretty well:

At the moment it's a bouncy, floaty, slow, lovely experience.

I hate to say it, but you are both right and it's exactly what I expected it to be and I'm okay with it.

This is basically just like how Wing Commander worked. High maneuverability and very fast acceleration. Relatively low ability to soak damage and Missiles that were worthless against competent pilots unless launched on a near perfect trajectory. Rapid fire guns that required multiple hits to kill instead of a single hit. TTK is long if you suck and short if you don't. Missiles launched poorly are useless except against fodder targets.

Since this game was based on Wing Commander what we got is pretty much exactly what I expected it to be.

This game is Wing Commander writ large. I wonder how many people donated to this without knowing that that meant.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 4, 2014

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Didn't cr say he wanted ww2 dogfights in space? The current fm looks like you're a stationary rotating turret

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ethanol posted:

I bought it in 2005 and it wore out after a month or two, which turned out to be the case a lot of people. It looks exactly the same, but I dunno if they fixed the problem that plagued them back then, they probably have if they're still selling them

Yeah, in my experience the boots on Logitech joysticks tend to wear out really quickly.

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

Both Reddit and the brown sea have massive threads full of joystick users whining that the mouse control is OP. Haven't done enough pew pew to know if they have a point, but the tears are delicious.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Didn't cr say he wanted ww2 dogfights in space? The current fm looks like you're a stationary rotating turret

He says that but none of his games have really worked that way from a physics point of view. By saying that I think he essentially means slower moving ships that rely on guns and no BVR combat, not a literal WWII dogfight.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Really bummed they don't have thrust on the left/right and up/down axes.

On the positive side the game is gorgeous and it'll only get better.

Edit- thanks vv

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 4, 2014

Parias
Jul 17, 2000

My Generosity is again
LEGENDARY!

The Royal Scrub posted:

Really bummed they don't have thrust on the left/right and up/down axes.

Other the positive side the game is gorgeous and it's only gona get better.

They do. Depending on your flight mode (i.e. Capslock I think) you can use QWE/ASD to maneuver laterally and vertically.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Harabeck posted:

Both Reddit and the brown sea have massive threads full of joystick users whining that the mouse control is OP. Haven't done enough pew pew to know if they have a point, but the tears are delicious.

Mouse/Keyboard is actually pretty great if you're used to Freelancer. Once you get into the groove of FCS decoupling to whip turn into things, it becomes very reminiscent of using engine kill effectively in FL.

Exnihilation
Mar 2, 2013

3 posted:

Mouse/Keyboard is actually pretty great if you're used to Freelancer. Once you get into the groove of FCS decoupling to whip turn into things, it becomes very reminiscent of using engine kill effectively in FL.

Having played a lot of Freelancer PvP this was the first thing I tried in Arena Commander, but I didn't actually notice any turning speed differences between coupled and decoupled modes. This was only in an Aurora so other ships might be different.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
All this launch talk, and no one is answering the important questions.

Someone confirm/deny existence of beer during WMH.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
No beer. :(

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Exnihilation posted:

Having played a lot of Freelancer PvP this was the first thing I tried in Arena Commander, but I didn't actually notice any turning speed differences between coupled and decoupled modes. This was only in an Aurora so other ships might be different.

Since you don't gain any more maneuvering thrusters in one mode versus the other why would you turn faster? I would think the turn rate would be the same regardless.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Game is a failure. Shut the whole thing down.

E:

BitBasher posted:

Since you don't gain any more maneuvering thrusters in one mode versus the other why would you turn faster? I would think the turn rate would be the same regardless.

The only thing that should affect turn rates are the G-Protection and COMSTAB modes. Decoupled is, from my understanding (having not played yet due to work), independent of these.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Strafing should be an option regardless of what mode you are in.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Exnihilation posted:

The point of decoupled mode is to let you do crazy poo poo like travel along one vector while your nose is pointed in another. Say, flipping around in place to empty your guns into the rear end in a top hat on your 6.

Exnihilation
Mar 2, 2013

BitBasher posted:

Sorry, maybe I should have prefaced that comment with the fact that I don't think the physics in Star Citizen are wrong. In Freelancer to turn you would kill your engines and use reverse thrust to help "whip" your ship around quicker. Killing your engines in Freelancer is a lot like how the decoupled mode works in Star Citizen. I was commenting that in Star Citizen it didn't feel like there was any noticeable difference, so I don't think using the decoupled mode offers any turning advantages over just turning in coupled mode.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WTF is this crap!?

Now I will never get the game today. My 1.5Mbit Connection has been tapped out since the AC dropped last night. :smith:

Also does anyone know if the game works with multi controllers (with separate Stick/Throttle/Peddles) like a Hotas or Logitech G940? I ask because my X52 does have the broken twist axis as well and if there is no way to remap, then there is probably no way to remove it from the game and ill be yawing all over the place.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

EdEddnEddy posted:

WTF is this crap!?

Turning off the p2p in the advanced settings has intermittently given me 1 MB/s download speeds. Now I'm down to sub-300 KB/s either way :sigh:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Octopode posted:

All this launch talk, and no one is answering the important questions.

Someone confirm/deny existence of beer during WMH.

I've heard rumors that continued gifts (such as beer) would be present on another future program, but I have no idea when that will start. Some people are saying as early as next week but I'd imagine there would be need for more lead time.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

WTF is this crap!?

Now I will never get the game today. My 1.5Mbit Connection has been tapped out since the AC dropped last night. :smith:

Also does anyone know if the game works with multi controllers (with separate Stick/Throttle/Peddles) like a Hotas or Logitech G940? I ask because my X52 does have the broken twist axis as well and if there is no way to remap, then there is probably no way to remove it from the game and ill be yawing all over the place.

There is a default profile set up for the X55, which I believe is two separate controllers, hardware-wise, so it's certainly supported by the game.

Unfortunately, there is no way to remap anything right now, so if it doesn't work correctly out of the box, you're probably out of luck until that gets patched in.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Fun, promising moment: I shoot a scythe in autoslide/DCF mode, and the collision lady sounds off. I deke right, but I notice the target's still flying away from me. That's when I notice I'm dodging the loving RAMMING WING RIDDLED WITH BULLET HOLES AND LASER SCORCHES I JUST BLEW OFF!

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 4, 2014

WARDUKE
Sep 18, 2012

Muscly armed warrior with glowing eyes and shit.
If any of you are having problems with the mixed up yaw/roll axis on a HOTAS, some dude on the forums posted this fix:

When in game, press ` to show the console. Then type:

pp_RebindKeys layout_joystick_spacesim

Not sure if it is a permanent fix, or has to be done every time you log in.
Also not sure how to switch back to default, but it seems to be working well for me on my X52.

Exnihilation
Mar 2, 2013

Not mine, but this video does a good job at showcasing the jerky, bobbly movement particularly noticeable when you yaw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Pkhv3Wylw

Slash621
Dec 11, 2012
The game definitely looks fantastic via the twitch streams. However I think I'm holding off playing until the single player and PU is released. Don't want to burn out on this game before the things I want exist.

Thanks to all you brave alpha testers putting it on the line for the rest of us.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Doesn't at the moment. I have Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, and they're unusable until we can bind controls/axis.

Set a bigger deadzone in windows if it's doing the typical twitching all over the place.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Can I keep his head for a souvenir ?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The point of decoupled mode is to let you do crazy poo poo like travel along one vector while your nose is pointed in another. Say, flipping around in place to empty your guns into the rear end in a top hat on your 6.

the Problem with it right now is, that it doesnt let you really change the vector you are on while in decoupled mode. Sucks, but as with the arcady gameplay in general i have have hopes for improvement.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Ooop, double post, gently caress gently caress.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

so if I want to play this I have to buy some $40 spaceship that does not exist or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

WARDUKE posted:

If any of you are having problems with the mixed up yaw/roll axis on a HOTAS, some dude on the forums posted this fix:

When in game, press ` to show the console. Then type:

pp_RebindKeys layout_joystick_spacesim

Not sure if it is a permanent fix, or has to be done every time you log in.
Also not sure how to switch back to default, but it seems to be working well for me on my X52.

This is the best thing ever. I love you. And him.

E: also... :stare: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/138390/do-you-have-this-awesome-aroura#latest scroll down to the 300 with dual ball turrets

Av027 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 4, 2014

• Locked thread