Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

ethanol posted:

so if I want to play this I have to buy some $40 spaceship that does not exist or what

Yes. If you have not pledged before now then the minimum is a $40 Aurora + $5 for a pass for Arena Commander.
That will also get you access to the actual full game when it comes out.

Don't just pledge for Arena Commander though. It isn't worth $45.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hot drat, I was getting 20.1 MB/s towards the end. Just waiting for it to stop saying "please wait."

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Hot drat, I was getting 20.1 MB/s towards the end. Just waiting for it to stop saying "please wait."

Mine did that. I restarted the launcher and it was fine.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

macnbc posted:

Yes. If you have not pledged before now then the minimum is a $40 Aurora + $5 for a pass for Arena Commander.
That will also get you access to the actual full game when it comes out.

Don't just pledge for Arena Commander though. It isn't worth $45.

you have to buy a spaceship and a pass to the one module that is out?

that is so loving stupid I hate this game already

sell the pass to us so we can try your bad game without buying your made up spaceships for a different game

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Exnihilation posted:

Not mine, but this video does a good job at showcasing the jerky, bobbly movement particularly noticeable when you yaw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Pkhv3Wylw

That's sort of what I was experiencing too. Pitching seemed to do it as well.

I kind of hope people who backed the Aurora can also pick the Mustang later on in AC (since new players get the choice between both) but I doubt that will happen.

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

ethanol posted:

sell the pass to us so we can try your bad game without buying your made up spaceships for a different game

Would you be happier if it was a $45 dollar package instead? It's only separate so you can choose to buy a different ship if you want.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Just glorious. Can't wait for SC Launcher to be finished so I can pilot a jankey 300i awkwardly around the verse (small area).

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

ethanol posted:

Arena Commander is just one module that will make up the full game. They're not different games.
Think of it like playing minigames in GTA5 or whatever. You can't just buy the minigames without buying the larger game that comes with.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Welp, it just says connection failed. Guess I'm not playing.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

ethanol posted:

Who is "us" and "we"?

Or are you ironically referring to yourself in the third person?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Zeether posted:

That's sort of what I was experiencing too. Pitching seemed to do it as well.

I kind of hope people who backed the Aurora can also pick the Mustang later on in AC (since new players get the choice between both) but I doubt that will happen.

There is going to be a side-grade conversion option to mash Auroras into Mustangs. Allegedly.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ethanol posted:

If you preorder the game you get to play the alpha for free. This is not a new paradigm.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/138611/how-to-swap-the-x-and-rudder-axis-on-x-52-x-52-pro-and-x-65f

Posting this here, because I think I saw some people ask for how to remap yaw and roll. Throw it into the OP or something.

vvv It always tells me connection failed after a couple minutes, but game works fine.

Truga fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 4, 2014

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

You can play offline with out connection, it said the same for me.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

If you preorder the game you get to play the alpha for free. This is not a new paradigm.

you preordered the game and then you preordered it again for another 5 dollars

if you don't think that is slightly retarded then... I don't know

Rakthar posted:

Who is "us" and "we"?

Or are you ironically referring to yourself in the third person?
really?

tensions are hot I guess

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ethanol posted:

you preordered the game and then you preordered it again for another 5 dollars

if you don't think that is slightly retarded then... I don't know

really?

tensions are hot I guess

wghat

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.
^^^The "alpha with preorder" slots were limited to like 500,000. They now sell alpha slots to newer backers for an additional $5. ^^^

Cojawfee posted:

It sometimes happens during connect, which bounces you back to desktop. Try it a couple times, and failing that, reboot, and try again.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Av027 posted:

^^^The "alpha with preorder" slots were limited to like 500,000. They now sell alpha slots to newer backers for an additional $5. ^^^

It sometimes happens during connect, which bounces you back to desktop. Try it a couple times, and failing that, reboot, and try again.

Oh, that's slightly retarded. Carry on thread.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Cowcaster posted:

Oh, that's slightly retarded. Carry on thread.

Raising the price with a fiver is retarded?

How is that different from other early access games were price went up as the game was developed? Am I missing something here?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fredrik1 posted:

How is that different from other early access games were price went up as the game was developed? Am I missing something here?

Comparing Star Citizen to a regular early access game or preorder is loving insane.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Fredrik1 posted:

Raising the price is one thing but selling it separate from a preorder seems weird to me. The long and short of it though is I don't really care about any of this, at all.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
The launcher theme reminds me of the theme from The Last Starfighter, and I'm ok with that.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Cowcaster posted:

Raising the price is one thing but selling it separate from a preorder seems weird to me. The long and short of it though is I don't really care about any of this, at all.

The logic they go by is that since it's a multiplayer game then they budgeted for a certain number of players in the early alphas. They advertised how many of those slots they had left until they ran out about 2 months ago. The $5 fee is to compensate the extra overhead they'll need to accommodate extra people over that amount.

Everyone who pledges regardless of getting a pass or not will get access when it moves from alpha to beta.

(I don't necessarily agree with all of that, but that's what CIG's philosophy on it is.)

macnbc fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 4, 2014

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
Just got done trying out the free flight and Vanduul Swarm modes, and I have to say, not bad! Please note that my impressions come from being a long time FPS player, and having virtually zero experience with flight sims or dog fighting (with the sole exception of Battlefield 1942, the paragon of WW2 realism).
  • Of the three ArCom ships, the 300i seems the most maneuverable by far. In comparison the Aurora and Hornet feel like delivery vans.
  • Turning off COMSTAB/"traction control" makes for a MUCH more enjoyable flight. The slightly float-y "powerslide" effect feels a lot more natural.
  • I'm running an Intel i5/3.3 GHz processor with 16GB RAM and an Nvidia 560 GTX, and was only managing about 12 FPS in Vanduul Mode on Low settings. Clearly it's time to start planning an upgrade for when the game releases...
  • Getting used to a joystick is going to be a hurdle, although remapping the pitch and yaw controls will help a lot. The default controls are exactly the opposite of how I controlled things in BF1942, so it's really throwing me off. I'm using a Logitech E3DPro, FYI.
  • I can already see how toggling Coupled/Decoupled modes will be almost essential to good piloting. I already had the awesome experience of having a Vanduul on my tail, losing all of my rear shields and in a panic hitting Decouple, spinning around, unloading everything and blasting the Vanduul to bits. Then I quickly re-coupled, which slammed my ship to a dead stop and rocketed back the other direction. It was definitely a moment that sold me on the possibilities of the final game.
  • I just watched the live-action movie version of Space Battleship Yamato last night, and although it was pretty cheesy, the space combat felt like it might be a pretty close depiction of how Star Citizen might turn out. As a childhood fan of Star Blazers that would suit me just fine.
Skip to 4:07 to get to the dog fighting bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H53WoGIF8rM

Goredema fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 4, 2014

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
Really enjoyed the Vanduul Swarm mode, it made me happy I pledged when I was initially worried. I'm using an Xbox controller and the controls feel superb, if anyone has one I would really recommend it over mouse+keyboard!

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Cowcaster posted:

The insanely staggering price of :5bux: is to pay for extra bandwidth. There was a countdown on the website for available alpha slots since the beginning.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well that was actually fun, messing around in free flight mode. If you are like me and have an Avenger, you get a loaner Hornet to crash into asteroids with. The Aurora feels like a starter ship, but I expect the LN will be a lot better to murder dudes in. The gamepad controls will take some getting used to, but I found it pretty easy to get going in one direction, flip off the guidance, and spin around on my center to face every direction. I am also pleasantly surprised with how well it ran on my old-rear end HD5xxx series card, I had a few visual bugs but nothing gamebreaking. Well, aside from the hanger still running like poo poo but I think it's just how it will be until I eventually upgrade my hardware. Overall, I like what I see so far.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

WARDUKE posted:

If any of you are having problems with the mixed up yaw/roll axis on a HOTAS, some dude on the forums posted this fix:

When in game, press ` to show the console. Then type:

pp_RebindKeys layout_joystick_spacesim

Not sure if it is a permanent fix, or has to be done every time you log in.
Also not sure how to switch back to default, but it seems to be working well for me on my X52.

You can create an autoexec.cfg text file in your game directory and slap that line in there to avoid having to re-type it every time you launch.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Captn Kurp posted:

Really enjoyed the Vanduul Swarm mode, it made me happy I pledged when I was initially worried. I'm using an Xbox controller and the controls feel superb, if anyone has one I would really recommend it over mouse+keyboard!

I just can't get over forcing rumble, or that the ship controls are inverted and the look isn't.

It doesn't feel natural to have one hand doing one control scheme and the other doing the polar opposite.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also does anyone know if the game works with multi controllers (with separate Stick/Throttle/Peddles) like a Hotas or Logitech G940? I ask because my X52 does have the broken twist axis as well and if there is no way to remap, then there is probably no way to remove it from the game and ill be yawing all over the place.
I've got an X-55, and even though the .pdf manual has assignments displayed on both the stick and throttle, my game isn't detecting the throttle. Fortunately, I have an old ST290 to use that the game works fine with.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.
Just a quick 3 hour download and I can watch my game crash too!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

macnbc posted:

For future hilarity: Currently on the community poll that accompanied the DFM release notice, 70% of people prefer that CIG share their internal release date targets rather than waiting until they know for sure when it's coming out.

Looks like nobody learned anything from this past week.

If this is actually real they need to flat out ignore the community, jesus christ

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Dreadwroth posted:

Well that was actually fun, messing around in free flight mode. If you are like me and have an Avenger, you get a loaner Hornet to crash into asteroids with.

Strange, I have an Avenger but my loaner was a 300i.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Welp, guess I'll just have to live vicariously through you guys. I get nothing but connection fails.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

BULBASAUR posted:

If this is actually real they need to flat out ignore the community, jesus christ

Yeah I thought this too, pretty ridiculous. I guess people want to see something to bitch about instead of waiting in silence.

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Welp, guess I'll just have to live vicariously through you guys. I get nothing but connection fails.

No idea if this works, but some dude on reddit posted a work-around: http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/27aah9/arena_commander_not_launching_problem_post_here/chyzn9m

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The fact that it now exists doesn't change that it's a wonky piece of crap. It has the same loving phone home to big brother roberts connection issue the hangar had when it launched how many months ago now? And that loving server trouble stops you from playing the swarm mode they specifically put in because they expected server trouble. It's hilariously inept.

The Aurora also wobbles like a motherfucker (and rolls into turns when you Yaw - what the gently caress?), which means they've either got some serious problems in their physics model or they simply didn't bother to make sure the Aurora works and instead only checked the Hornet and 300i. But hey, only 75 bucks to upgrade to a ship that maybe works and isn't lovely. That's how you monetize an Alpha I guess.

The controls in general are a mess and more than half of the functions are pointless and don't need to be there. There's no reason to have 3+ different flight models apart from "realism" which is another way of saying "wasted dev time". There's no reason for the mouse controls to be so bad just for the sake of being different - they had the perfect mouse controls in Privateer 2 and Freelancer. There's no reason for the throttle display to be offscreen half the time because of "G-forces" and realism, while 30% of the screen are taken up by gigantic pointless displays about the status of every bit and bob complete with huge hologram of your ship. The UI placement seems completely random instead of functional.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 4, 2014

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

Goredema posted:

I just watched the live-action movie version of Space Battleship Yamato last night, and although it was pretty cheesy, the space combat felt like it might be a pretty close depiction of how Star Citizen might turn out. As a childhood fan of Star Blazers that would suit me just fine.

Skip to 4:07 to get to the dog fighting bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H53WoGIF8rM

Ha! I just got that a week ago. I can't wait to watch it. My fiancee can however.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Almost like it's an alpha or something. Man, this sure isn't how a finished resale product should look.

DatonKallandor posted:

they had the perfect mouse controls in Privateer 2 and Freelancer.
You do understand this is the exact reason they can't use that mouse control scheme, right? Because then mouse would be the only viable option. They did say over a year ago they weren't straight lifting the scheme from Freelancer.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Can anyone who has played E:D and this compare how the flight models feel?

• Locked thread