Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Defiance is a multiplatform MMOTPS that takes place in the Defiance universe that the SyFy show takes place in. It's recently gone free to play, and undergone a lot of changes for better or worse depending on who you ask.

The game launched over a year ago, and the show first aired a little less than a year ago. Season 2 is about to start, and when it does I'll put a link to the TVIV thread for it.

Gameplay

Defiance is a third person shooter that plays a bit like Diablo and borderlands. Originally scaling was flat, but recent changes means that gear now gets significantly more powerful as you gain levels, known as EGO in this game. Enemies scale based on the number of players and their ego around, and a system is in place to raise the level of lower players up to the encounter level, known as the Threat level. This feature was introduced in May, and is still rough around the edges.

The game itself is rather open world, with game play taking place anywhere on a large map. Numerious vehicles from 4 man combat vehicles to ATV's are available to make getting around easier. You can also teleport to various hubs in the world, or any one on your friends list. There are a number of quests, but the meat and potatoes of the game revolves around things that happen outside the quest lines. Arkfalls, which are large events that take dozens of players happen at random. Sieges show up as well, where players defend points. The roads are lined with emergencies, which are small random encounters you can drive by or stop and take on at your whim.

As of June 4th the game has gone free to play, allowing anyone to try it out. Free to play players get 2 character slots and have a limited inventory. See the differences here.

Other recent changes include the ability to hot swap your load outs, which is a very welcome change.

DLC

The game also has 5 DLC's available for it, which added content for people who own the DLC, in addition to some content shared by owners and non owners alike. Users without the DLC can join users with them in the various arenas and such added, but any special weapons granted by the DLC's, such as the charge blade will be unusable unless you own the DLC. The following DLC's are out:
Castithan Charge Pack - A DLC that adds blood sport arenas and charge blades, which are basically light sabers.
Arkbreaker - This DLC adds stims, new weapons, and deployable spikes you can use to provide area buffs.
7th Legion - Be a post apocalyptic samurai! This added incursions, which are chains of emergencies that end in big sieges.
Gunslinger Trials - Be a post apocalyptic cowboy! This added a number of gun related arenas and quests.
Arktech Revolution - Adds high end things, powerful weapons and shields and things to do for the very high ego rating players. Endgame stuff.

Tips and FAQ

For PC owners there are a number of things you can do to make the game more enjoyable. On release the game suffered from a lot of obvious console port issues, making the interface clunky and frustrating. Much has changed. You can now break down items directly from your inventory, individually, or with one click. One click mass breakdown filtering can be adjusted in your settings to change which items you want to break down.

In video settings you can increase the memory used for player models, which will stop people from turning into the default player model during arkfalls and large groups.

Auto aim defaults to on and can be adjusted in the controls.

Driving is a lot easier with a controller. The game supports Xinput and PS4 controllers natively. You'll want one when you do any of the racing challenges or pursuits.

Pursuits give you ego levels, but don't unlock things for your ego grid. Still, now that stuff scales with ego, they're easy ways to boost your ego and get better weapons.

http://www.defiancedata.com/ Fantastic resource.

Community

There were a number of goon guilds for various platforms. If any are still around, let me know and I'll add them here.
My guild, DatakTarrDidNothingWrong is open to all US PC players. Just hop on my TS at gooncave.com and ask to get in. Feel free to use the TS to work with other goons/friends.
PGS thread for goon clans: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643631

Screenshots
I'd put some here, but I'm too busy playing the game to take any!

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Reserved for future expansions.

Also it should be noted that the FTP patch hasn't hit just yet. It'll be up today (June 4th). Just decided to get the thread up first.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
This game? this game is a good, simple game. :unsmith: It was pretty raw at first, and my current experience is that America is a better side of the world to play on then Europe, but its a real fun dumb game for shooting guns at giant robots that feels pretty honest in what it is.

The big events are fun, the bosses never feel overly scripted and the writing is Grade A Sci-fi Ham.

If you gave this a go in the past, i recommend trying it again. If you never touched it, its free to play so why not? Just get a buddy or two because its much more fun with more people to talk too as the pubbies can be a real letdown sometimes.

Some advice, ill add more or correct it as time goes on:
    You can change your voice in the options menu, and what grades you break down when auto-disassembling items, its a real timesaver.

Dont spread yourself out over too many guns, 2 you like with 2 support/quirky guns is a good call.

Ammo is shared across loadouts, so multiples of the same gun isn't so great.

You can run over the little things, but bigger monsters are going to break your car.

What side you get into on your car affects if you are a passenger or driver!

Ablative armour flat reduces your damage taken, get a way to repair it in the field early on or get to the main ammo crates in towns to repair it. Its kind of a big deal.

Weapon damage types: Electricity (Blue Lightning) is good against shields, Biohazard (Dark Blue Biohazard) removes enemy ablative armour stacks. Radiation (Green Radiation) bypasses armour and Fire (Red Fire) is good at eating health sponges. Siphon (Purple swirl) steals health, also they have an amazing death animation to boot. :haw:

Currencies, There's Cash, Salvage, Arc Keys (key in a stone) and Arc Forges (a hammer). Cash is used to buy things at the various vending machines. Check them! You can sometimes find really good things in a vending machine as its personal. Salvage is used to upgrade and modifying weapons. Arc Keys are used for Goodie Boxes alongside some cash. Arc Forges are used to flat upgrade weapons, both their Ego progression and rarity.
    Thus, you use Keys and Cash to get goodie boxes, which turns into MORE GUNS! and you use Salvage and Arc Forges to upgrade the guns you like. Dont get attached however, once you've mastered a gun it doesn't hurt to replace it as soon as you find the next shiny thing. Thats pretty much this game in a nutshell, Get newer, shiner guns.

When worrying about cash or salvage, keep a reserve of both and top off as you need too. Theres no clear answer here.

On the topic of "Goodie Boxes", higher Tier stuff has a higher chance for purple/orange drops, lower tier ones are good for Arc Forges.

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!
I'm glad we have a new thread for this :unsmith:

This game was always a really fun time waster for just mindlessly shooting mans, but I always was a bit disappointed with how little I felt they supported it post-launch. I only bought the first DLC which was fun for the goofy lightsabers but it really didn't add much more to the game. I was hoping for more interesting quests, like for them to pick up on the cliffhanger the main quest leaves off on, and maybe a new area to explore. Hopefully we might see some of that once S2 of the show stats.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
According to some of the Dev QA's recently they did say they were working on a new area. Also the new seasons quests are in and tie in with the show, so it should be interesting at least.

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?
Have they added a way to change your character's appearance?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You can respec, but it's a paid item that I think they gave one of to everyone that bought the game when they introduced it.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
I played this game for about 10 hours and had a blast, then I completely forgot about it as other stuff had come out. Thanks for the reminder. I'll definitely play this again.

I was playing with two friends, and if I remember correctly one of my friends didn't like going back to town all the time to get quests. Too much travel time. Are there any good/fun ways to level that are just non-stop murder sprees? We never did any dungeons or instanced stuff, so maybe that would fit. I hope I can get them to try it again! We all enjoyed it, I think.

Edit - Another issue we ran into was that I wanted to play alone when they couldn't, and felt like I couldn't because I was going to 'outlevel' them. Is that an issue like it is with traditional MMOs? I think I ended up making an Alt but all the characters seem pretty similar so I'm not sure how different of an experience I would have playing an alt. I don't necessarily want to do the exact same thing twice.

Scags fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 5, 2014

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Scags posted:

I played this game for about 10 hours and had a blast, then I completely forgot about it as other stuff had come out. Thanks for the reminder. I'll definitely play this again.

I was playing with two friends, and if I remember correctly one of my friends didn't like going back to town all the time to get quests. Too much travel time. Are there any good/fun ways to level that are just non-stop murder sprees? We never did any dungeons or instanced stuff, so maybe that would fit. I hope I can get them to try it again! We all enjoyed it, I think.

Edit - Another issue we ran into was that I wanted to play alone when they couldn't, and felt like I couldn't because I was going to 'outlevel' them. Is that an issue like it is with traditional MMOs? I think I ended up making an Alt but all the characters seem pretty similar so I'm not sure how different of an experience I would have playing an alt. I don't necessarily want to do the exact same thing twice.

You can just travel the world, riding around doing the events that spawn such as arcfalls and the long chains of small events called Incursions that ends in a Siege. Thats pretty much two good ways for non stop murderspee's :black101:

With the update, i think the only way you "outlevel" your mates is in raw killing power, but you also bring up the challenge level of the monsters, meaning you wont be causing a problem unless you run off to leave your mates to have a harder time of it. :haw: But dont make an alt, you wont grossly overpower your mates. Even with the time/Ego difference between me and some of the guys i play with, we all still feel like a unit that relies more on coordination and not being carried by "That guy with a cannon three times larger then his character."

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Does anyone know if there was any advantage of using Trion's Glyph client to install this instead of Steam? I mean, with Glyph being new is Trion giving out incentives right now to use Glyph so people would be more willing to try it out?

The reason I'm asking is because Glyph is installed on my SSD for ArchAge and Steam is on my regular disk drive. Defiance isn't a SSD-worthy game so if Trion isn't showering me with cool crap I'm just going to use Steam to re-install.

muizvoid
May 14, 2014
Is it sandbox or theme park mmo?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I hope this injects more players into the PVP, when I bought the game some months back and tried out the instanced PVP stuff it was dominated by the same 4-5 people with sniper rifles rolling over anyone naive enough to venture in for the first time.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
It should be mentioned that the last DLC completely ruined the balance of the game. Last I checked about half a month ago they hadn't fixed it either.

Maybe that's changed now but when I checked up on the game everything was completely hosed with the PR guys frantically playing damage control to try and convince people they hadn't pushed out the game's equivalent of the NGE from Star Wars Galaxies. Most people on the forums were even saying to stay far away from the game to the people asking whether it was safe to come back yet. :(

Heck, the game was so bad that the original thread was closed. If you're thinking of getting this I'd say buyer beware until someone reports on whether they fixed up the scaling issues and reverted the damage sponge mobs. Also probably fixed up the horrible cash grab cash shop features that were inherent with ark forge.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 6, 2014

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, the games totally different. I don't really expect any of the old guard to like playing now, after reading the last thread. I enjoy it, though. They've been working on the scaling regularly through the last month, and it's not to bad. Certinaly it's better then what I remember before scaling when large mobs just lead to everything dying instantly.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I really played this a ton while the show was still airing, and interest slowly petered once I finished the single-player missions. A few weeks back, I tried to give this a go again, but was just overwhelmed by all the changes: finite grenades, tons of waypoints on the map to god-knows-what, and kept on getting all sorts of messages that I just couldn't comprehend. Really would love to give this game a try again. The one thing I'm mostly interested in is just going through the single-player missions and possibly join some events if I pass them. What sort of weapon am I supposed to be wielding right now, at what level/damage output? Or does the game still have that "Just use whatever you want", because I really liked that.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I wield whatever I feel like and do alright. Some of the tougher enemies, like the volge and such might be easier with the right nano effects, but I mostly run with explosives.

The only fight I know of that absolutely requires specific weapons is the Warmaster raid boss, which is a big DPS race and I don't think I've seen it beat anyways.

Once I'm done playing today I'll post my impressions with how the balance has come. I think it's gotten a lot better. A month ago it was all dogshit, now that they've tweaked things it's actually not bad.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
So I decided to give Defiance a chance again, especially with the show coming back soon, and having heard that there were new season-related episode missions. I didn't notice any of the difficulty problems people were reporting earlier, was happy for that. In fact, I felt I was doing far more damage than usual and disposing enemies easier.

After finishing the storylines, I decided to see what the Guntrial missions are all about. Then halfway through one of the missions, I came across a large battle that was going on between players and NPCs. And I have to admit that's where it clicked again what I like about the game: Instant coop, the game being more fun when there are other players around, all the stuff happening where you can easily participate in. It's nice to be able to have something to gun for when doing quests, but the real entertainment are the things happening across the wasteland with other players. I reckon I'm going to give this game another chance, at least as long as when the series starts again. I just watched the 'Lost Ones' webisodes, and I am looking forward for new episodes. It's a pretty fun setting, and I do adore having a game tie into the events of the show as it's airing, instead of it being something after.

I read that they've removed the monolith at the Golden Gate bridge. Boo! I really liked seeing that monstrosity in the distance when I started out, and it was such a rush when you finally got to defeat it and explore what was beyond.

Also, I did come across a few bugs with the vehicles. First off, it takes far longer than I originally remember to spawn(up to 10 seconds, if at all), and I will sometimes be ejected while I'm driving. Any idea what's causing that?

Edit: Oh, and I've really been wanting to create a character that's focused on melee. Is there any way to get a charge blade early on in the game?

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Baron von der Loon posted:

Edit: Oh, and I've really been wanting to create a character that's focused on melee. Is there any way to get a charge blade early on in the game?

You get a free green quality blade once you finish the quest chain, which doesn't take too long.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
This thread also reminded me the game exists. Steam says I only played two hours of it so I suppose I'll try again. I bought Wildstar and it made me go back to Guild Wars 2. We'll see what this one does.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Morshu posted:

You get a free green quality blade once you finish the quest chain, which doesn't take too long.

Whats the quest chain called, or where does it start? I can't seem to find anything that gives a sword

Yaos posted:

This thread also reminded me the game exists. Steam says I only played two hours of it so I suppose I'll try again. I bought Wildstar and it made me go back to Guild Wars 2. We'll see what this one does.

Make you go (back?) to Hellgate London? :v:

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Danith posted:

Whats the quest chain called, or where does it start? I can't seem to find anything that gives a sword

Make you go (back?) to Hellgate London? :v:

I'm pretty sure it starts at the lighthouse, it involves the arena fights.

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.
Goons are coming back to play Defiance? WOOT!

I started playing it a lot again lately, and it seems I am still part of Goon Vach Industries. Not sure if I still have the guild lead anymore, back when I stopped playing, the guild lead was changing everyday due to a bug that assigned guild lead to someone at random everyday.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Ok, so I've seen some hilarious lag and bugs, but they seem to have fixed the balance issues rather well. 99ers have high shield power, but that's it. They lost their ridiculous armor plating. Volge are still spongy, but they're giant war machines, so I think that's acceptable. Raiders are a lot more reasonable, bugs are still tough, Darkmatter is tough but not so much as the volge. It's pretty fun right now. Just make sure you use weapons close to your ego rating and you'll be fine. Bosses go down too quickly because they aren't scaling properly, but they seem to be steadily patching the bugs out.

I think it's hilarious that they've added and removed rarity upgrades twice. As far as arkforges go, they don't bother me too much. You don't need to upgrade weapons, they drop at a pretty regular clip, and for the most part I use whatever I find, with a few special weapons I keep and upgrade if I really need to. Then again, I have the DLC so arkforges aren't as rare for me.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

What exactly did they change that would have someone say that its like they pushed an NGE on the game?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Instead of a flat, level means nothing as far as gear they now have level influencing gear and scaling low level players up for high threat encounters. So the people that really liked that it was basically a 3rd person shooter are upset that it's gotten more rpg like. Also when they first introduced threat it was hilariously broken. Regular enemies could take minutes to bring down, a high ego player driving by was enough to make encounters impossible for low levels, and so forth.

kosbabii
Dec 25, 2010
Anyone else get poor performance on this game?

I more than meet the recommended requirements and I frequently drop to ~30 fps. No can do for a shooter.
Game seems pretty good otherwise though.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I've never had performance issues. A bit laggy right now though with all the new players.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So, with the free-to-play having happened, does everyone just own all the DLC by default now?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
No. The base game is free, with limited load outs and such. The DLC's are still a separate purchase if you want to get the quests/guns/outfits.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014
On a scale of SWTOR to Counter-Strike, how reaction-based is this game? Defiance looks really fun as a third-person shooter but I don't want to play a shooter that feels MMO-slow.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

dangersandwich posted:

On a scale of SWTOR to Counter-Strike, how reaction-based is this game? Defiance looks really fun as a third-person shooter but I don't want to play a shooter that feels MMO-slow.

It's more shooter than MMO, honestly. Everything is based on the shooting. I mean, guns do different damage and have levels and such, but a headshot still does more damage and the combat is fast and frantic.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, but not counter strike fast and twitchy.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

No. The base game is free, with limited load outs and such. The DLC's are still a separate purchase if you want to get the quests/guns/outfits.

I'm able to put down spikes though, and those are listed as being DLC.

Errazial
Aug 27, 2008

Gort posted:

I'm able to put down spikes though, and those are listed as being DLC.
What kind of spikes?
I'm pretty sure there're spikes for calling in an arkbreak, which're DLC,
and your ordinary area-buff spikes, which aren't.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014
I was really confused last night by this game.

I grinded newbie missions and challenges(?) around the crash site until I hit EGO 100, and then the main story planted a huge orange dot on San Francisco which was almost 8km away.

"Okay, that's a bit of a drive, but surely I can get there in no time on my trusty ATV!"

So I set out on my journey and found the different mobtypes in the game along the way: giant hellbugs, afflicted (zombies), robots, etc. and after a few small incursions on the road I eventually made it to the ruins of the Bay Bridge. There were some Bad Guys standing on the bridge, so I was like "no problem, I'll just run them over", except when I ran over the main dude I guess he was standing on a landmine and it blew up my ATV but he was okay because he had a huge shield pool.

These Bad Guys were pissed that I scratched their boss's shield and blew up one of their landmines so I had to snipe 6 of these guys while using rusted-over trucks as cover, and getting grazed by one of their blue laser bullets took out most of my shields and I almost died a couple of times.

After taking out those assholes (seriously I was just trying to get to San Francisco guys), I drove through some more ruins and made it to SF only to discover that it's the main Bad Guy base so it was crawling with dozens of those assholes. But there was a challenge mission going on so I guess I level-synced or something, and was killing them no problem unlike the guys on the bridge.

...am I playing this game wrong?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Depends, really. If you were having fun, then no.

I'd normally expect new players to have more fun doing stuff in the new player area rather than driving as far from the new player area as they can, though. Just because there's a mark on your map doesn't mean you have to go there.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Did you have fun? If so then you did nothing wrong. It's a sandbox game, most of the charm is driving around and getting into trouble.

As far as quests, it usually doesn't take you to sanfran till the end. Maybe they changed it?

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014
I was having a blast experiencing a sense of danger, and running over the dude who happened to be standing on a landmine was both hilarious and infuriating.:legion:

I'll head back to newbie peninsula tonight because it's apparent that I was following the wrong orange dot and wasn't actually supposed to go to SF. At least I unlocked one of the hubs so I can fast travel there for different guns.

Also, is it worth saving up to buy the Tier 4 (purple) boxes or should I mainly be using drops/quest rewards?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I usually spend my keys on boxes of tier 4 mods, but early on the nicer boxes are better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

So now that the nano effects all got changed and mobs now have more specific strengths and weaknesses to them, what is generally considered the ones you want to shoot for, and are guns without them considered significantly worse?

• Locked thread