Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I remember when the game got released, that the topic was

- find cool weapon
- max it
- delete it

Now the game feels less wasteful, it feels somehow that the game is more crafting friendly so you can make good weapon into better and stay with the weapons you really like.

It seems they tried hard to make a chat window, and I have seen people using it, chating with other players.

So.. War, War as Changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I've been playing again after being away since a month after launch, having fun.

But what am I missing about this gun? Just got it during a Siege and it seems to do pitiful damage (like 450 a shot) whereas my green SMG does also 450 a shot except shoots like 10 bullets per second so I do exponentially more damage.

I was all excited to find a new orange too :(

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Might have something to do with its Electric damage type. Here, check this out.

The bonus/malus calculations are a bit confusing but the point is, Electric will blitz shields like nobody's business, but is pretty crap against HP.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Oh that's interesting. That's probably it yeah. I'll have to try it out just for shields, see how good it is.

Also, are any of the DLCs worth getting? The arenas sound kinda fun but I doubt I'll be playing with other players much.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Daynab posted:

I've been playing again after being away since a month after launch, having fun.

But what am I missing about this gun? Just got it during a Siege and it seems to do pitiful damage (like 450 a shot) whereas my green SMG does also 450 a shot except shoots like 10 bullets per second so I do exponentially more damage.

I was all excited to find a new orange too :(

The electricity does help, but I've never understood LMG's in general. They seem worse about in every way to Assault Rifles and Sub Machine Guns.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

TracerM17 posted:

The electricity does help, but I've never understood LMG's in general. They seem worse about in every way to Assault Rifles and Sub Machine Guns.

I haven't played this much since launch but did they nerf LMGs? You use to be able to equip two of them and with the right skills, never need to reload, stop firing or run out of ammo. They were awesome for everything but the final boss who was a complete dick.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Kegslayer posted:

I haven't played this much since launch but did they nerf LMGs? You use to be able to equip two of them and with the right skills, never need to reload, stop firing or run out of ammo. They were awesome for everything but the final boss who was a complete dick.

Equip two, like dual wield or just have 2 on a loadout? I haven't used them enough to really know everything about them. Maybe I haven't played with the right super awesome variant of the LMG. They do seem to have a lot of ammo, if I recall, but I thought you still had to reload. Plus the longer you fire continuously the worse the accuracy gets, so firing forever doesn't seem to be a bonus.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

TracerM17 posted:

Equip two, like dual wield or just have 2 on a loadout? I haven't used them enough to really know everything about them. Maybe I haven't played with the right super awesome variant of the LMG. They do seem to have a lot of ammo, if I recall, but I thought you still had to reload. Plus the longer you fire continuously the worse the accuracy gets, so firing forever doesn't seem to be a bonus.

There's a skill that automatically reloads guns over time you can add onto your build. With it you basically never need to hit the reload key again so long as you have two decent guns. Instead you just swap while the other one magically reloads itself.

Some people figured out a bit after release that this was great for ridiculous action movie hero builds since you could sprint into combat firing a LMG one handed, then swap to another one the moment it ran out. That's what he means. You were basically a deluge of bullets with the right guns with that build.

Some of the enemies will probably gently caress you up if you do that now. Volge especially are incredibly adept at ruining the poo poo of anyone who stands still in the open and fires a one handed stream of bullets at anything vaguely mobile. The scaling system made them even worse too. The PVP metagame is completely hosed in favor of those who bought the DLC so it isn't that viable anymore on that front either. The single shot DLC weapons some people have will outright kill you in one or two hits even with a tank focused shield.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 3, 2014

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Archonex posted:

The single shot DLC weapons some people have will outright kill you in one or two hits even with a tank focused shield.
I was hoping to come back and see if my flare gun character was still viable after all the changes, but ... maybe I should pass.

But seriously, have they ruined fixed northstars by disabling clip size mods on them? I had heard they did that for some notable combinations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So how active is this game? A big problem with a lot of F2P MMOs is that the only people left after a few months are people that spent real money and don't want to walk away. Is it still fairly easy to find other people to play with on US servers?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
There are still a ton of people playing, but not many goons apparently. You don't need to play with anyone to finish anything really, I was able to solo the hardest mission encounter easily, it just took forever (I didn't glitch anything, the mob just has a ton of health). The public events are still populated even really late at night.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Reicere posted:

I was hoping to come back and see if my flare gun character was still viable after all the changes, but ... maybe I should pass.

But seriously, have they ruined fixed northstars by disabling clip size mods on them? I had heard they did that for some notable combinations.

Maybe there was a surprise rebalance fix to it after I quit playing a few months ago, but one particular type of rifle was just OP when I was playing. I'm not sure which one it was since I could never get the name of it, but I think it was some type of arkfall DLC sniper rifle that could fire semi automatically rapidly. It had been that way since it was released too, so I can't imagine it wasn't intended.

It really was absurd either way. Shadow Wars were filled with people who'd bunny hop like crazy and mow down three or four people before they finally died to massed gunfire. Between the hopping and them needing to only smack you once or twice they were pretty much unstoppable with a decent shield. Which meant each Shadow War was determined by who had more people with that rifle on their team.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 4, 2014

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Archonex posted:

There's a skill that automatically reloads guns over time you can add onto your build. With it you basically never need to hit the reload key again so long as you have two decent guns. Instead you just swap while the other one magically reloads itself.

Some people figured out a bit after release that this was great for ridiculous action movie hero builds since you could sprint into combat firing a LMG one handed, then swap to another one the moment it ran out. That's what he means. You were basically a deluge of bullets with the right guns with that build.

Oh, I see. Thanks for explaining that. I know the skill you are referring and now see how it would be an endless stream of bullets. If I find the right set of LMGs, I may have to try it out and see if I care for it.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So how active is this game? A big problem with a lot of F2P MMOs is that the only people left after a few months are people that spent real money and don't want to walk away. Is it still fairly easy to find other people to play with on US servers?

There's a good amount of people playing. I think a lot of newer people as well as veterans who used to pay for the game. I'll see 20+ random players in most invasions.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I just checked the official forums, looking to see when the servers would be back up.

What a toxic loving community, jesus.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Me and a buddy just got into this game on a whim after bailing out of Firefall and we're really enjoying it! I mean, it's nothing super fantastic but the shooting is solid, the driving is fun, and the world actually had interesting things going on in it. Makes it want to check out the show too honestly. Who knows how long we'll still with it but so far we've had a blast going through the story missions and just dicking around with side stuff.

A couple of small things that kinda bug me though. First is that Time Trials are completely busted. For some reason it relies on the server to activate the next checkpoint so if you're going too fast you'll hit the next ring before the server activates it forcing you to loop back and hit it again. That's inexcusable for a racing mode and I know it's not important to the game but the driving is actually fun in this game.

Also am I wrong or is the weapons balance almost always "more bullets = better than." There's ammo everywhere so wasting it isn't really a problem and other than a few sniper rifles it seems like whatever dumps out the most bullets is going to be the best weapon. Explosive weapons almost entirely suck, infectors suck, the flare gun sucks, and shotguns that aren't semi-auto or are sawed-off suck. Maybe it eventually changes but I'm Ego level 340 and my best weapons are far and away assault rifles, SMGs, and some semi-auto shotgun I got as a quest reward at the beginning of the game.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The new area just opened up: Silicon Valley. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet. The F2P opened up the game for them so they need to make a PS4 version.

http://www.trionworlds.com/defiance/en/2014/08/06/silicon-valley-world-expansion-now-live/

http://www.vonbachindustries.com/en/

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

some semi-auto shotgun I got as a quest reward at the beginning of the game.
I think I know what shotgun you are talking about, I kept it for a long time.

I'm still using the gladiator-whatever 3round burst rifle from way way early in the game. I've kept the rating even with my own, and it does way more damage per hit than anything I've seen except those semi-auto assault rifles with the crappy triangle scope.

jabro posted:

The new area just opened up: Silicon Valley. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

It seems pretty pointless to me. It had the next episode to the story, but aren't you supposed to be chasing after Van Bach? Somehow it turned into saving Eren from assassins or some poo poo. That took about 20 minutes.

Other than that, there are three invasions/incursions/whatever that you can do that pay out terrible rewards, and lead nowhere. I figured that once you cleared all three areas it would open up a new one, but nope.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 8, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So does the shooting ever get better?

I started earlier today as a Veteran, and picked the Overload Ego power. I've only just got my vehicle, so I'm still pretty early, but nothing feels good enough to make me want to keep going.

It takes so many shoots to kill these basic grunts I have to reload after every individual soldier. Upping my damage by 10% helps cut it down to reasonableish kill time, but I can't keep that up forever.

The aim/turn speed on the guns is also super sluggish, and nothing feels like it has much weight.

Is it just a case of the starter guns being terrible/some settings I'm missing?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Sluggish? I dunno, I play a shitload of shooters and I think the blasting in this game feels pretty nice. Are you playing with a controller? Mouse and keyboard just has you aiming where you move the mouse with no lag or delay.

And you definitely get some pretty powerful weapons fairly quickly with way different stats and special effects and such.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Haerc posted:

It seems pretty pointless to me. It had the next episode to the story, but aren't you supposed to be chasing after Van Bach? Somehow it turned into saving Eren from assassins or some poo poo. That took about 20 minutes.

Other than that, there are three invasions/incursions/whatever that you can do that pay out terrible rewards, and lead nowhere. I figured that once you cleared all three areas it would open up a new one, but nope.

So did they increase the size of it? Because apparently the devs said it would be as big as Madera, and it's definitely not from the screenshots I saw on the forum during the PTS phase. Looked more like angel island really.

Also, the forums are hilariously pissed about the turn the game's taken recently. I was getting SWG NGE flashbacks reading through that mess.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 8, 2014

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Rookersh posted:

I started earlier today as a Veteran, and picked the Overload Ego power. I've only just got my vehicle, so I'm still pretty early, but nothing feels good enough to make me want to keep going.

It takes so many shoots to kill these basic grunts I have to reload after every individual soldier. Upping my damage by 10% helps cut it down to reasonableish kill time, but I can't keep that up forever.

The aim/turn speed on the guns is also super sluggish, and nothing feels like it has much weight.

The guns/shooting never gets better. It's why I can't play it. The game gets really monotonous.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Trying this game out after I burnt out grinding Firefall and I kinda like it. I played for about 30 min (tutorial missions I think) and got one mission to go like 7km away, and it's the only available mission as far as I know. Am I supposed to go there already or did I miss something? It's on the other side of the bridge if I look at the map

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Skilleddk posted:

Trying this game out after I burnt out grinding Firefall and I kinda like it. I played for about 30 min (tutorial missions I think) and got one mission to go like 7km away, and it's the only available mission as far as I know. Am I supposed to go there already or did I miss something? It's on the other side of the bridge if I look at the map

I think its a season 2 mission so don't waste your time heading there(its the old endgame area over the bridge).
Should be something to do around where you are.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Rookersh posted:

I don't really understand what you mean by aim/turn speed "on the guns", since guns do not have handling characteristics independent of your overall mouse sensitivity in this game. I do have to turn up mouse sensitivity in the main menu options pretty drat high to get it to feel 'normal' compared to other games. Forcing Vsync off may help as well.

As far as balance goes, you're either constantly running into areas with raised Threat levels, caused by higher-level players being in the same area, or else your starter weapons just suck.

See, this game used to be reasonably well-balanced, but after they poo poo all over it by introducing level scaling, you can expect to see wild disparity in difficulty. If your weapons are up to snuff- IE, green or better and within 100 points of your EGO level- then enemies are piss-easy without raised Threat, such that you should be casually mowing down hordes of grunts before reloading and experiencing little to no threat to your person. However, the experience you're describing (and worse) is what large group events are going to be like for a long, long time, because of the increased Threat from vastly higher-level players being there with you. The way the level scaling works, your EGO rating gets temporarily boosted to match the minimum for whatever the local Threat level is at the moment, which gives you the HP to not die outright. It doesn't scale up your damage as much though, so enemies turn into horrible bullet sponges.

So yes, you are missing some settings and your starter guns are terrible, but it never really gets a whole lot better.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Reicere posted:

I think its a season 2 mission so don't waste your time heading there(its the old endgame area over the bridge).
Should be something to do around where you are.

yeah thanks, abandoned that mission and found a few others. But I was already halfway across the map and found some purple quality weapons, so it worked out in the end :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Skilleddk posted:

Look for the big exclamation points on your map. Unlike Firefall there's always a story mission you can do. I'm not sure how the different season missions work themselves in but I've only been doing the main story missions and ignoring the season star missions or season 2 main missions. Side missions are entirely optional but good for experience and mods if you want to dink around with them.

Skilleddk posted:

yeah thanks, abandoned that mission and found a few others. But I was already halfway across the map and found some purple quality weapons, so it worked out in the end :v:

Haha glad it worked out! Yeah it's REALLY easy to just stumble upon things happening in the world and come away with some good loot after a battle. It's neat.

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records
Has anyone figured out a way to increase the lovely xbox looking FOV? I played the game for about an hour and then deleted it due to the nausea from the lovely FOV

meecrob
Jul 3, 2007
I'd scarf down a whole wet bucket full of shit before I ate another plate of meecrob.

FrankenVader posted:

Has anyone figured out a way to increase the lovely xbox looking FOV? I played the game for about an hour and then deleted it due to the nausea from the lovely FOV

Yeah, this is pure poo poo. If I could have a widescreen FOV and first person, then I would be throwing money at this game.

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records
Someone started a FOV thread on their forums. No dev answers yet though...

I'm blown away that in 2014, there's still companies that put games out for the PC with this complete poo poo FOV and no options to change it.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
alright so I'm having a ton of fun with this game, but could someone explain keycodes & lockboxes for me? Where can I find the lockboxes, or are they purchase only? Because I'm nearing the 50 keycode limit

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
You just go up to those low long cases in each "town" and buy one. Depending on the quality of the box it costs a certain amount of keys and scrip. You don't actually find boxes in the environment, it's more like buying those packs of weapons and items in the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. Also don't waste your money on the green cheapest one. You get keys pretty quickly and can buy them even faster, only buy the blue or purple boxes.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Of course unless you shell out for a bigger keycode limit you can only ever I think buy the second-most expensive box.

The orange Dodge that came with the latest Arkfall code is pretty nice, but I've already acquired the Mad Max machine I want to stick with.

If I ain't rolling in pink I ain't rolling.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Cathair posted:

See, this game used to be reasonably well-balanced, but after they poo poo all over it by introducing level scaling, you can expect to see wild disparity in difficulty. If your weapons are up to snuff- IE, green or better and within 100 points of your EGO level- then enemies are piss-easy without raised Threat, such that you should be casually mowing down hordes of grunts before reloading and experiencing little to no threat to your person. However, the experience you're describing (and worse) is what large group events are going to be like for a long, long time, because of the increased Threat from vastly higher-level players being there with you. The way the level scaling works, your EGO rating gets temporarily boosted to match the minimum for whatever the local Threat level is at the moment, which gives you the HP to not die outright. It doesn't scale up your damage as much though, so enemies turn into horrible bullet sponges.

So yes, you are missing some settings and your starter guns are terrible, but it never really gets a whole lot better.

It's another case of a game that could have been really popular if they hadn't of nickle and dimed on the actual post release development. The base game itself started out phenomenal. After that they just kept loving things up though. Hell, the major content updates were all paid DLC's. And this was not completely F2P originally. Which is pretty hosed up for a MMO, F2P or not. Atari got crucified for that poo poo a few years ago.

Plus they spent like a year puttering about pushing out lackluster mission DLC's while slowly bleeding pop, only to then implement the scaling system as part of some F2P scheme. Which itself was tied to a paid expansion that people thought was going to be part of a proper content update. Arkforge is very much a F2P mechanic now and was the focus of that last DLC update, which means that last DLC was an amazing gently caress you to the people who purchased it blindly or had a seasons pass.

I mean hell, go back and look at the map of the game world that was released. It's pretty stunning to think of what they could have done if they had actually given this game a fair bit of development time instead of the crap they did. The world is literally built for crazy shenanigans and they did literally nothing with it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 12, 2014

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
On the plus side the soundtrack during some fights is kickin.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
There's a riff in one of the fight songs that sounds like a bit out of Last Resort by Papa Roach and it drives me loving insane.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
In a good way?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
No.

But the answer would be yes if there was something that sounded like Limp Bizkit's Break Stuff.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

So I am one of the few PS3 people and I have PSN so the game came with a bunch of weapons right from the get-go. I equip all the stuff that I want to equip and follow along with their tutorial, except they didn't count on someone equipping a grenade before the bit in the tutorial where you equip a grenade. It won't let me unequip the grenade and therefore I can't equip something that-.ksadfj;alskdfj;

FUUUCK. So yea... 15 seconds in and it glitches on some PSN poo poo and I guess I'm done. I wanted to play with the other 2 PSN people, too :(.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

I am pissed off.

I logged on after watching the season finale and expected all sorts of crazy poo poo and there was nada! Zilch!

I am displeased by this apparent lack of content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
It does seem they have something planned...

quote:

Defiance, the MMO and SyFy TV crossover series, is prepping for a massive end-of-September Aftermath update. Some apocalyptic changes have come in the Defiance universe (terraforming, anyone?), and you can experience them all in a new series of exclusive missions and events.
I have to admit that I would've liked it more if this had happened concurrent with the series finale.

• Locked thread