Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lamontjb
Mar 31, 2013

Greetings,

I've been following this game for a few months and did not see a post here yet, so I wanted to share what I know and discuss what this game will become.

Brief Description: A MMO zombie survival game developed by SOE.

Developer: Sony Online Entertainment
Release Date: Unknown, currently in Closed Alpha with an early access expected to be available soon
Platforms Confirmed:
Official Website: https://www.h1z1.com/home?cid=1065711
Best link that provides most accurate information: http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/wiki/index

Sony will be using the PlanetSide 2 engine for this game. I've seen some gameplay footage by the developers and I'm really looking forward to this game coming out. About two months ago, the developer said in a video that early access would be about 4-6 weeks away, which was an over statement since the fan base went crazy and started a countdown and early access hasn't been mentioned since. My expectation is that early access is right around the corner and will be available with zero notice.

I've played DayZ, and personally, the User Interface is very cumbersome and I don't believe DayZ will grow to what it should have been based on the Arma Engine limitation. I've also played RUST, which is a great game, but with individual servers (we are talking in the thousands), you only see about 50 people on average on the very few good servers (also in Early access).

I'll continue to add to this post as I think this game has allot to offer and I wanted to get the word out now.

I recommend going to the official website, click the blinking yellow light (its a window on a house) which will give you an icon to sign up for news and updates. I'm hoping this is where notice of early access will be. The reddit site is also very informative, but I'll post here on significant updates that I find from there.

Hope to see you all there... it would be awesome to get an SA coalition together ruling the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Wow cool, looking forward to this zombie apocalypse simulator where you run around a lot then die to a sniper rifle, definitely seems like it has a lot to separate it from other zombie apocalypse simulators where you run around a lot then die to a sniper rifle.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Is anyone actually excited for this? What's the difference between this game and The War Z?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Liquid Penguins posted:

Is anyone actually excited for this? What's the difference between this game and The War Z?

Hopefully everything except 'zombies'

Black Baby Goku.
Feb 5, 2014

by Lowtax
SOE has kinda been on a roll lately, and as a paid corporate shill I am very excited for this game.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Liquid Penguins posted:

Free to play, made on an engine proven to handle thousands of players, and backed by SOE.

As far as setting, not a drat thing.

EDIT:
I love Planetside 2 a whole heck of a lot

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Looking at gameplay videos it also seems to have the fan favorite, tried and true "just ignore the zombies because they're badly coded" mechanic.

I will be very disappointed if this leaves alpha though, I feel being an alpha game is part of the day z clone experience.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I love roguelike massive multiplayer zombie survival games but will this one finally feature Slenderman? He's my favorite SCP scary facecam LP meme

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Greetings,

I don't care about your bad zombie game.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
OP do you work for sony? I can't think of any other reason someone would write those many words about this awful free to play zombie crap.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
Has Smedley explained what the gently caress he meant when he was babbling the following about H1Z1?

John Smedley on Jan 25 posted:

SWG. I would do everything differently. SWG PLAYERS – OUR NEXT GAME (not announced yet) IS DEDICATED TO YOU. Once we launch it… you can come home now.

Did Brad McQuaid get him hooked on meth or something during the Vanguard trainwreck? Zombie deathmatch doesn't seem to scream "Star Wars Galaxies" to me.

I mean, I know some people in Lucasarts were total coke fiends and one dude used to talk to his dick in public restrooms, but I always thought that Smedley was Mister Boring Sober Dude. Or am I missing something here?

lamontjb
Mar 31, 2013

Liquid Penguins posted:

OP do you work for sony?

No, I'm actually in the Army. I've played the other survival games and wasn't into a survival game with 20 people. Their "neat" and all, but I think a zombie survival game (which isn't exactly new) needed an MMO type that was backed by Sony. I'm glad Sony is backing this because they will be able fund the development of this game and not take 5 years to do it.

lamontjb
Mar 31, 2013

Republicanus posted:

Has Smedley explained what the gently caress he meant when he was babbling the following about H1Z1?

I'll look into this one. I actually played SWG a long long time ago, and stopped playing it after they made the Jedi so easily accessible. I wonder if he is referring to keeping the game difficult and staying true to the original player base rather than dumbing it down to appease the masses. But I have no idea.

Basically, my take away was a reference to the play style rather than the actual Star Wars thing.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
One day somebody will make a good zombie survival game. Until then they'll just keep making lovely ones because they make money and it's easier than making a good game.

Edit: Never mind, after watching this I poo poo my pants and I'm willing to pay $1000 to play it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0-aBYPYSYw
It hits every check box on the survival game checklist.
  • Can't see poo poo
  • There's one enemy at a time and all suspense is gone because they immediately show it.
  • Music that has nothing to do with what's happening on screen.
  • Ugly as poo poo.
At least it's not bad as this video which actually shows how lovely the game is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqZOdXP056Y

Yaos fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 5, 2014

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

lamontjb posted:

Basically, my take away was a reference to the play style rather than the actual Star Wars thing.
For a while there, I figured he was just nervously babbling. But then the other day I read where it came from and that was his own posting, typed by his own fingers. Wasn't just offhand, underbreath throwaway comments - he actually typed that deliberately, in all caps at one point.

Have they discussed the crafting? Is it individualized with subassemblies being experimented on and having randomized resource spawns? That could be partially it, there hasn't been any crafting system anywhere close to SWG's - but I haven't heard anything about such complexity. All I see is "zombies, rain, gun, shoot things, and fire burns".

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Imagine how cool a zombie MMO would be if there was more than one zombie at a time. I did not particularly enjoy Left 4 Dead but it was pretty cool when hordes of zombies came after you. Just think, you're walking through a forest, you hear a groan, and then a wave of zombies come running from over a hill at you. But no, that might be fun, just just have slow moving zombies and stationary zombies. Also let's have a car so zombies can't even hurt us any way.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Yaos posted:

Imagine how cool a zombie MMO would be if there was more than one zombie at a time. I did not particularly enjoy Left 4 Dead but it was pretty cool when hordes of zombies came after you. Just think, you're walking through a forest, you hear a groan, and then a wave of zombies come running from over a hill at you. But no, that might be fun, just just have slow moving zombies and stationary zombies. Also let's have a car so zombies can't even hurt us any way.

Ah but don't you see? Zombies become non-threats because we are the real monsters. *sips cognac, wipes cheeto grease on shirt*

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Ah but don't you see? Zombies become non-threats because we are the real monsters. *sips cognac, wipes cheeto grease on shirt*

That is an absolutely disgusting combination of foods. Holy hell.

On the subject at hand: I'm actually surprised no one is excited about this. I think it looks fairly neat and I think pretty much everyone agrees that Sony has done a great job with Planetside 2 and EQ Landmark. What about this is feeling uninspiring?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
People are upset that an MMO in early alpha looks underpopulated and poorly balanced.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pathos posted:

That is an absolutely disgusting combination of foods. Holy hell.

On the subject at hand: I'm actually surprised no one is excited about this. I think it looks fairly neat and I think pretty much everyone agrees that Sony has done a great job with Planetside 2 and EQ Landmark. What about this is feeling uninspiring?

Its a zombie survival mmo being poo poo out by a studio with a history of producing poor cashins

Mr. Giggles
Nov 4, 2009
As long as its not hot featureless garbage like DayZ I might check it out. And planet side 2 wasn't bad at all, I don't look down in soe as much.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
When people are paying for playing the pile of poo poo that is DayZ, I really can't find a reason to criticize this game. At least this game has an engine that can handle loads of people, doesn't look like poo poo / run like poo poo. Oh an SoE probably has more resources to throw at this.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm hesitantly interested in how this game pans out. I still play the dayz mod and enjoy it but I'm totally over the standalone as it seems to be progressing at a glacial pace in a really dull direction.

My hope for H1Z1 is that they make the end game actually enjoyable as that is what will make it have longevity.

The biggest advantage out of the gate is that they will hopefully be building it all on a decent engine. Please let's not have melee combat vs zombies that looks like some sort of bad performance art.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hmm I'm cautiously optimistic for this game, I hope it turns out better than the other zombie survival games!

Wow why are all of you so upset, it's an ALPHA

Huh, I tried this game and killed a pubbie, A+ game of the year

Pubbies in this game are really terrible! Join up with goons, we will give you gear and slaughter pubbies by the dozens!

Yeah this game isn't that great if you're playing by yourself, but get on teamspeak goons for the most fun you've ever had!

Man I really hope they patch the gamebreaking bugs out of this game, I'm kind of losing interest.

Hey are there any goons on this game anymore? I recently got on teamspeak to get my murder on and it was empty.

Wow this game is such an obvious piece of poo poo in retrospect, how did people get suckered into yet another of these stupid things?

Hey guys, if you felt burned on this game, here's a link to a game that does something similar, but it has a new, proven developer that's really likely to get stuff done! Lot's of potential!

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

lamontjb posted:

Platforms Confirmed:

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.
Sony realised that all the money they're losing in their TV division can be made back from releasing "generic zombie game 11367". They probably looked and thought to themselves that they don't even have to release a finished game cos just releasing Planetside with Z's would be more complete by all the other shite out there.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Let's see here

"Features" posted:

- Free emoticons and Paid emoticons
- Gas Barrels (Explode when damaged after lighting on fire)
- Dye Packs
- Lore
:eyepop: WHOA DAY ONE PURCHASE GUYS!!!

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I wish they'd replace zombies with skeletons. Skeletons are much more scary than zombies, and much cooler since they are totally rad and probably animated by magic. Additionally there is no established canon reason skeletons can't run fast, so you can have cool long distance championships with skeletons in-game. Someone hire me to make Day S is what i'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

lamontjb posted:

Greetings,

I've been following this game for a few months and did not see a post here yet, so I wanted to share what I know and discuss what this game will become.

There's a thread in the MMO subforum about it.

• Locked thread