Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The Christmas Pageant was really dumb, though.

I don't know, it's not as bad as that quote makes out, but if you go into it expecting "Oz but with titties" you're going to be horribly disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I don't have a countdown either. An hour-ish is about right? I guess?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

T3hRen3gade posted:

Has anyone actually read Piper Kerman's book this show is based on? I discovered and subsequently binged on this show a few months ago (and am staying up long enough to watch the first new episode, 7 minutes!) and I'm curious if the memoir is as good and/or better than the show.

Someone in the season one thread read it. Apparently it's kind of crap, in that at any point in the show where something interesting or exciting happens, it's a departure from the book.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's out.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Daya and Bennett are at least somewhat sympathetic characters. Larry is a fuckface.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Red's in season 1 doesn't, not specifically anyway. I don't know if she gets more backstory development in season 2.

As an aside, S2E4 Sophia teaching sex ed was great.

Holy poo poo Morello is loving crazy:catstare:

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 7, 2014

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Slightly Toasted posted:

Flaca > Maritza

Psh, who cares about Flacaca.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

gently caress I thought I recognized Healy from somewhere, it wasn't until the scene in the bar in episode 5 I realized he was Steve the drunk horsefucker who wants to take over the Livery on Deadwood.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

As of S2E6 I still hate Larry way more than I hate Piper. And Piper's gotten a little more interesting now that she's no longer quite as precious and innocent and privileged.

That said, the strength of the show is 100% on the ancillary characters, and always has been from the first time we got to see a backstory.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It does for me sometimes but not for this show on the PC for some drat reason. :sigh:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Finished the season. It was good, but not a revelation like the first season.

It bugs the gently caress out of me when drivers on TV don't watch where the gently caress they're going, and I thought for sure when Rosa declined to put on her seatbelt that Morello was going to get her killed. I kept expecting a sudden collision from nowhere everytime they drove to and from chemo.

Also, the corruption plot really fizzles out in a very unsatisfying way. The show really got my hopes up that Piper would go way out there to expose the scam Fig was running. All that poo poo she and the journalist talk about (stealing documents, smuggling in a camera, smuggling out the evidence) would have been a much, much better plot for Piper than her just obsessing over Alex the whole season.

That would have stretched her character too much, I think. The way it played out is probably the best we could have expected.

But what I want to know is why Caputo never looked through Fig's files himself.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Asiina posted:

I think also he wouldn't know how to understand what he was looking at, which is why Piper says she'll explain it to him. The accountant barely understood the shady bookkeeping so I don't know if Caputo would have been able.

Why then Piper has this ability I have no idea.

I suspect the journalist guy explained it to her, at least enough that when she saw stacks of invoices to FitzCORE, who the reporter guy told her was crooked, paying for work that never happened, she was able to at least figure out those were the ones. Caputo might have had a harder time but he still knew Fig was stealing, and invoices for things that never happened would have been a big hint.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 8, 2014

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I think the not-looking-forward-while-driving-and-talking thing is for the benefit of the viewing audience, but you never know when a show is just doing it to make the conversation easier to follow or when they're going play it straight and have a horrible collision out of the blue.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Tucky and Boo and the whole completely straight(ha)-faced discussion of The Gay Agenda to Rule The World was amazing. And Tucky almost looks cute with teeth and short hair.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

I want to, like, start a petition for a spin-off called 'O'Neill is the new black'.

And Lushchek (sp?) got pretty funny this season too. I remember him being kind of a witless d-bag in season 1, but he had a few good zingers this season.

E: maybe somebody can help me out here on what's going on with Healy. His motivations just don't seem to make much sense to me. Half the time, he seems like a guy that WANTS to do good, and make a difference, and have people like him, but then it's like it flips a switch into 'gives no fucks' mode. Though I might have missed some nuances due to binge-watching the Hell out of this season.

And I'm re-watching the finale, and it's kind of overly hit me, and feels really hosed up when the guard with Rosa tells Morello that Rosa has only a couple weeks left, then turns on the radio and starts singing along to Breakfast At Tiffany's, since it doesn't affect him. My mom died from the same kind of cancer Rosa has, and I had that sort of experience when telling people she was in hospice. 'Oh that's too bad' (shrug and resume normal routine) . But like I said, I'm a sucker.

Healy.. wants to be wanted, I think. What he wants is people to look up to him as their protector and rescuer, when he can't protect or rescue poo poo, but his entire self-esteem is dependent on other people being dependent on him.

As for the Rosa and the Guard thing... I don't know if it was meant to paint the guard as a total rear end in a top hat, or if it was meant more as.. it's horrible news that's basically impossible to process, especially not in casual social situations, so people's tendency is to kind of.. avoid it with some sort of distraction or return to their routine, in order to avoid having to actually deal with it:shrug:

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 9, 2014

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

I'd imagine it to be a big part of the plot. For Piper, I imagine most of season 3 will be reconciling with Alex in prison. Then I imagine that the drug boss will find a way to get someone on the inside to try and take Alex out, and it will be up to her and Piper to figure out who it is, and then to deal with the would-be assassin.

I think this is a pretty fair guess about season 3's main plot lines. I hope we don't see Larry or Polly again.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Flagrant Abuse posted:

She just sounds like she's smoked a few too many decades' worth of cigarettes to me.

I thought the same, but because of her hair, instead. It looked just like Flores's hair, but cleaner.

Yeah, she just sounds like a gravelly-voiced old lady version of the accent to me.

And the age of the cars and the way they were dressed made it pretty obvious it was her and not one of the younger kitchen chicas

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Doppelganger posted:

Question about Morello in season 2

She's in prison for mail fraud, right? The only thing they explicitly show her getting busted for is the stalking, but the fact that she planted a homemade bomb under that girl's car means she would probably be in a max facility. Maybe they weren't able to prove that she had anything to do with the bomb?

I always figured she was in jail for the stalking and they couldn't prove the bomb, or they tried the bomb as 'construction of a destructive device' instead of attempted murder, and she just told everyone it was for mail fraud in order to protect her bizarre fantasy engagement. Or the mail fraud came to light during the investigation of the stalking and the bomb that they couldn't prove, and that's what got her the majority of her time. A lot of the backstories are a little bit vague about specifics, like Miss Claudette, who we see cleaning up after a murder, but who apparently went to prison for the immigration stuff.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Lycus posted:

That's what Nichols thinks, but she's probably just wrong and Claudette never talks about the murder. Maybe Claudette was moved to Litchfield for good behavior.

Right, but Healy tried to get her to appeal her case because of a change in immigration laws. A change in immigration laws wouldn't make murder less illegal.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

TinTower posted:

The Golden Girl who cut her husband's dick off with a butcher's knife is my favourite character now. The way she delivered the line. :allears:

And it wasn't even sharp.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

FitzCORP is controlled by that obnoxious fat guy at the party, who apparently takes a cut.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

bubblelubble posted:

Well, Mendez didn't quite have a choice in going to jail: he was already being led away in cuffs when he professed his love publicly. But the implication about John still stands, yes.

Especially since he literally asked Daya if what she wanted was for him to stand up and shout that he loves her and its her baby and she said yes and he said he couldn't because he'd go to jail. Or maybe she asked him if he'd do that. I can't remember exactly, just that Daya and Bennett talked about Bennett doing that and Bennett refused and then a few episodes later, Mendez does it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

got dat wmd posted:

I was the one in the last thread that read the memoir before I even know the show was coming out, expected the worst and ended up liking it but the thought of all these people with real life counterparts was so hosed up. To reiterate: don't bother reading the memoir. It's Piper Kerman basically writing about how great she is and all the smiles and love she brought to the prison and how her family loved and supported her. If someone can grab the passage I posted in the last thread and repost it for others to see as a fair warning I'd appreciate it.

Just finished season 2 and I thought it was pretty good. Loved the finale. Disliked a lot of the Larry and Piper's bff stuff, but moreso because none of those people in her life can have a single conversation without some sort of quirky sexual dialog that seemed so unnatural and forced. Oh and that Larry and his dad scene having a shvitz early on... why the gently caress did that need to happen? It added nothing to their relationship and we never see the dad again afterword. It didn't even establish some sort of "the old ways are dying" kind of cliche. Just seemed like an excuse to throw a bunch of naked men in for.. some reason.

Also they hosed up some of the stock effects for announcements in the prison. Other than the "prisoner transport" alert being played in what must be any episode, they used an announcement in one of the later episodes that was probably recorded from and intended for a scene on a Navy aircraft carrier. I think it said "Flight deck officers to the mess hall."

I liked the gay bathhouse scene. Not because it served the story but because there was finally some completely gratuitous male nudity.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

bobjr posted:

How long was Daya in prison before she got knocked up anyway? She if it was only a few weeks they could have fudged it and said she got pregnant right before.

She came in at the same time as Piper.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

And you could argue that sending Alex back to prison is potentially beneficial to Alex. If there really are evil drug dealers out to kill her.

I would laugh so hard if Alex ended up in another prison altogether and the only interaction she has with Piper are through letters, but the show isn't going to play it that way.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

forever whatever posted:

I just finished season two, and I really liked the Vee-Red conflict and how that spilled over into pretty much all of the other inmate's lives, except somehow for Piper, who was more on the periphery this season, which I also liked.

Poussey is my favorite character and I was glad her role was stepped up this season, her back-story is really interesting and I wish I knew why she was in prison (I don't think that's been made clear). I really thought she was going to get killed when she started drinking to the point of intoxication regularly and loving with Vee's tobacco.

At one point when she's trying to convince Taystee that Vee is evil for selling drugs, Taystee pointed out Poussey sold drugs and Poussey protested that it was just a lot of pot and nothing serious.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

gently caress that. Why did I even click on that. gently caress.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

"A show that addresses womens' issues and treats women like real, whole characters?! gently caress NO! Can't have that! ~~What about the MEEENNNNN?!~"

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

nwin posted:

So why did poussey go to jail? All I saw in her flashback was she was ready to pull a gun on some brass but her dad stopped that before it happened.

Later on somebody mentions her selling a lot of weed but it's never made entirely clear what, specifically, she went to prison for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Red mentions something about crooked contracts being what got her in prison in the first place, or something like that. Remember how she smuggled contraband into the prison through the grocery deliveries because she arranged their contracts with a bunch of hospitals and prisons to provide lovely food and skim profits or whatever it was?

• Locked thread