Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

joeburz posted:

I know that, but you can use graphite to create graphene quite easily. Graphene was manufactured initially by a process as simple as using graphite for rubbings and pulling off thin 1-5 atomic layer thick sheets with scotch tape. No loving joke, I actually tried some rough testing of the process when I read about it because other methods of making graphene have been high in cost while producing arguably worse samples due to impurities etc.

While it's true you can make graphene with scotch tape, it's still crazy to expect graphite pencil lead to start releasing graphene. The forces that repeated scotch tape applications put on graphite are nothing like what pencil lead experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread