Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
There used to be a thread here about how to search for banks/credit unions. I can't seem to find it now. So, I need a hand locating a good bank/CU for a relative of mine who is being an idiot and instead opting to use a cash card from his job (those things are rip offs.)

He is poor so I need free checking with no minimum balance requirements and something not evil and I don't know how to find that. I suspect a Credit Union will be ideal. Please help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I use Alliant credit union and like it, CapitalOne 360 also gets a lot of love around here. Both are high-interest savings and checking.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
If they're going to be keeping a low balance in checking, make sure they opt-out of overdraft protection. Better to get a card declined than rack up overdraft fees.

Where are they located? Do they want a local place or somewhere online?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
They're located in Painesville Ohio, they'd prefer something with a physical branch. Alliant's offer of free financial counseling appeals to me 'cause this guy is an idiot.

Seriously, living off those pay cards from his work. :psyduck:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
There is a trade off between local community bank/credit union which has a limited ATM footprint, and a huge megabank where there is an ATM everywhere. With the former, you will pay ATM fees when traveling, with the latter you will pay weird account fees every month. My preference is a locally owned bank, at least that way if you have a problem you can speak to someone who can make a decision on the spot, without worrying about violating policy.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
How about painesvillecu.org? They are part of the Alliance One CU network just like my CU is, so any Alliance One ATM is free to use (there is an atm locator app) and any shared branching CU (also searchable in the app) can be used to make deposits and withdrawals. I don't know if they have fees though, you will need to call and ask or go in there and ask.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

adorai posted:

There is a trade off between local community bank/credit union which has a limited ATM footprint, and a huge megabank where there is an ATM everywhere. With the former, you will pay ATM fees when traveling, with the latter you will pay weird account fees every month. My preference is a locally owned bank, at least that way if you have a problem you can speak to someone who can make a decision on the spot, without worrying about violating policy.
Some(many?) CUs will waive ATM fees much more generously than big banks do. My community bank has unlimited fee-free ATM use, even for out-of-network ATMs. Not a huge deal for me since I almost never deal in cash, but it's nice to have.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

adorai posted:

A huge number of credit unions participate in a shared ATM network: http://co-opatm.org. They're even in a lot of 7-11s.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yep, basically every 7-11 ATM is Co-Op network and free-to-use with my CU. Also I can walk into any Co-Op network credit union branch and get free basic account services. My CU itself also has a decent local network of well-located full-service ATMs.

But mostly I just don't use ATMs all that much, but when I do I never have a problem finding a free one. And worst-worst case, my CU doesn't charge any out-of-network fee on their end, even if you use some shady no-name ATM in a bar or whatever.

No shortage of Co-Op ATMs near my zip code, way way more than any individual big bank:

Guinness fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 8, 2014

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Space Gopher posted:

They're even in a lot of 7-11s.
That's weird to me, the local 7-11 like chain owns their own ATMs and doesn't charge a fee to anyone. I assume it's a ploy to get people into the convenience store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
After spending several days trying to convince this jerk and doing some research it took his entire paycheck getting stolen for him to finally come around.

He is now banking with a Credit Union and hopefully not being an idiot.

Regardless, if he is it's no longer my problem!

Thank you all for the help!

• Locked thread