Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also there's fantasy that functions significantly better as literature than lord of the rings (not that that's necessarily saying much)

lotr's narrative is mostly just a vehicle for tolkien's language and mythology poo poo

you talking gene wolfe? or you counting that more as sci fi? Sci fi has lovely tropes too though but it's got far more potential to seriously be considered literature than loving fantasy. Fantasy loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
gene wolfe is actually interesting as a writer too though. my problem wit tolkein is the same guuuuuurrrrrm. Great world-building, great lore. a whole shitload of honest effort into making something compelling that is so loving boring to read that i give not a single gently caress about.... anything.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

gene wolfe if you want command of language, ursula leguin or china mieville if you want political consciousness (mieville is inconsistent because at his worst he's like a marginally less lovely neil gaiman but at his best you get stuff like embassytown or iron council), roger zelazny or michael moorcock if you want to see someone take the basic forms and assumptions of pulp paperback fantasy and do clever things with it

basically if you approach literature as the pursuit of form and technique then yes, fantasy isn't worth your time. there's no intrinsic reason it couldn't do those things but the people who are attracted to writing fantasy have neither the inclination nor the ability and it creates an endless feedback loop.

but if you're a great big nerd like me and would like to see the genre de-ghettoize itself some day the first baby step is making it not retarded on a thematic and sociopolitical level, which is why i recommend stuff like the above whenever i get the chance

i actually really loving dig sandman and anansi boys and american gods are at least entertaining if flawed and accessible works. i could def understand how people would not like him

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
battle of the brownwater, abridged and formatted to fit your screen.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
cersei lied, people died.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
less incestuous than the roosevelts, admittedly

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

In Zero We Trust posted:

What is the sexual market value of a midget handjob?

depends. among pedophiles? loving priceless.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Miss Areola Canasta posted:

The nudity and goriness do seem to be gratuitous, but this is HBO. If the show was made by CBS we wouldn't be presented with that naked backbender at Joffery's wedding, but other major plot points would have to be left out. (see: Ygritte)

Well, in the book he soon gets tortured to death. (spoiler alert)

I like the series, and just love Peter Dinklage, but that whole 'beetle' speech... I would have preferred to meet Lady Stoneheart. I hope she's the big surprise at the end. :)

what "causes" her, btw? i need to know. caint be the white supremacists

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Harime Nui posted:

I like Jon Snow the character but Jesus Christ Kit Harrison, could you maybe act pleased to be playing an action hero in a popular TV show for like 5 seconds

it's called taking the black because they're at three fifths strength now

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

gently caress Your Website posted:

Nah the problem with game of thoans is you have to hear people whine about something so utterly meaningless

i find the food and drink to be distractingly apocryphal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

rip lyanna stark. ripped her right in half.

• Locked thread