Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Cool pics, man. No matter which track you go to, NASCAR is always better live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jeff Gordon will be sponsored by Panasonic at Sonoma and/or New Hampshire. Scroll way down for the paint scheme:

http://www.jayski.com/news/schemes/2014/story/_/page/2014-NASCAR-Sprint-Cup-24-Team-Schemes

It stuns me that Gordon didn't have a sponsor for Sears Point until now. Never thought I'd see the day.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

So did mine! Now I have a rally towel for Sears Point! :getin:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

To answer both your questions, NASCAR has only added one track since 2001 - the 1.5-mile Kentucky track in 2011, which wasn't even prepared for race traffic despite intense lobbying by Bruton Smith. And the two tracks added in 2001 were also 1.5-milers.

Pocono has two races just weeks apart. Texas got a second date for no practical reason at all. And rumors still persist about taking dates away from the Martinsville short track.

Yet still we watch. :smith:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

kidcoelacanth posted:

We'll get Iowa one day :kiddo:

Sounds like Hillary's new campaign slogan.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

That's so cool! Congrats to her!

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

While we're waiting through this hilarious early cautions, my first LASTCAR book will be free through Monday the 23rd. Go here http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/272178 and enter promo code HG74S

EDIT:

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm on a boat, what happen

Vickers spun out of 9th on the first lap, collected Kvapil on the apron.

On the restart, Stenhouse tagged the wall and both Larson and Kahne spun on the backstretch.

Gonna be one of the few fun Michigan races, it seems.

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 15, 2014

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

43 cars for 43 spots at Sears Point for the second year in a row with exactly one road course ringer - Boris Said in the #32. Kind of surprising since we saw five or six drivers make their Cup debut here in 2013. Alex Kennedy makes his second start of the season in Circle Sport's #33. Randy Humphrey's #77 team is skipping the race, which is too bad - I wanted to learn more about those guys. BUT we do get the DogeCoin car for Josh Wise and Michael McDowell makes his first start since the 600.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

:siren: I have new NASCAR video for Sonoma Week - NASCAR Sonoma Style! :siren:

One of the all-time best schemes, and it came together quite by accident. Davey didn't even have a sponsor when he qualified outside-pole at Daytona in 1987, so the car looked just like this without the Havoline graphics. But once they added those logos, it went together perfectly.

elmono311 posted:

Jayski is saying Edwards to Gibbs with M&M's as sponsor is a done deal. Monster would step up to become Kyle's primary sponsor.

Well, I guess that means Subway's out as Edwards' sponsor.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Just another day in the office.

Bhester posted:

I thought the story was that Havoline was in talks to sponsor the 28, but it wasn't quite a done deal yet, so they waited to put the logos on.

Either way the scheme is perfect.

You know, I hadn't heard that before, so you may be right.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

VikingSkull posted:

Look pal, I told you once to suck my dick. Don't make me do it again.

:lol:

I can't believe FS1 didn't show Kyle drive the car backwards - under green - after his spin in Turn 10!

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Elfforkusu posted:

There better be a goddamn in-car video feed of Tagliani's 2 lap blitz through the field.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

In lieu of IRC, I'm going to focus on Tweeting through tomorrow's race at Sears Point. Hope to get some more pics and notes for you guys. Here's the link if you don't have it already.

And I have some pretty good footage of the cars rolling off pit road during qualifying (which was noticeably absent from the FS1 coverage).

EDIT:
A couple more pics you need to have:

(not photoshopped)

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 22, 2014

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Awesome! My twitter stopped working durig the driver's meeting, hope to be back up soon.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Oh sweet the forums are back up!

Before we get to Kentucky, wanted to post some things from Sears Point I didn't mention on the blog or twitter:

*Clint Bowyer is hilarious. When asked about his pet peeves while driving on the highway, he went off on a rant about drivers texting and riding in people's blind spots. At the same time, someone wiped out in K&N practice, and he was bummed he didn't get to see it.

*Danica was practically impossible to get even a picture of her. Every time she got out of the car, she was practically in a sprint to get back to the hauler.

*My artist friend sent me down some of his drawings to get signed over the weekend. One was Kyle Larson's Cup car, which Larson signed on the way out of the media center after his win in the K&N race. The other was the pick-up truck from "Sanford & Son," which Ryan Newman signed after the second practice session on Friday. Both were really cool about it.

*Tomy Drissi's a nice guy. After interviewing him on Friday, he introduced me to his wife on pit road before qualifying.

*At Josh Wise's tweetup, I met Phil Parsons' son Stefan, who reads LASTCAR. "I like the dedication," he said. Had a good time talking about him driving Legends cars and how Phil was good at the plate tracks in 1988. I met one other LASTCAR reader who was taking selfies with Michael Annett.

*Got some sweet video from pit road when the cars rolled off for qualifying.

*This was transcribed in one of my articles, but here's video of Jimmie responding to my question about his lack of last-place finishes. (Cue to 9:46)

*Mike Helton is incredibly tall. Talked to him briefly after the finish of Sunday's race to put in a good word for the track, hoping they'd keep coming back. "We'd like to," he said.

*Jack Roush still calls the track Sears Point. :getin: He liked the hat my brother wore to the media center with the old track logo.

*As for the race itself, Allmendinger looked to have the best car early on, then Jimmie in the middle stages. But the biggest thrill was going for Paul Menard in the closing stages - he seemed to have an even better car than Gordon. Have no idea how Edwards made his way through it all. Overall, I thought it was a good race.

EDIT:

haha I've never heard that story before!

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 26, 2014

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Cannot Find Server posted:

They tried to get there, but the traffic was too backed up so they turned around.

haha Not far from the truth, as it turns out.

BK Racing entered a fourth car (#93) at the last minute with Mike Bliss aboard, but then Xxxtreme Motorsport's #44 withdrew before qualifying, so there's still 42 entries.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Looks like we're going to have short fields for the next two races at least. Jayski reported Xxxtreme Motorsports (#44) is reorganizing for the next couple weeks, just like Humphrey-Smith (#77). This is why the #44 withdrew for tonight's race.

Since BK Racing already has four cars entered this weekend, I wonder where the extra team will come from. I agree with what was mentioned earlier that Nemechek's #87 is the best bet. Shepherd parked that car in its most recent appearance at Phoenix while Joe ran the #66.

Then again, Bayne will run Daytona, so perhaps Nemechek will wait until Loudon to enter the #87, where Shepherd made his return to Cup last year.

Humphrey-Smith's expected to return at Indy, and hopefully Xxxtreme will be ready that weekend too. But it looks like the fields are going to be pretty weak over the next month or so.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

mischief posted:

WINS FOR THE WIN GOD.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Soooooo there's now a p. good possibility I'm going to be co-broadcasting the ARCA race at Winchester this Sunday. You guys should maybe tune in and double CBS' viewer count :kiddo:

Awesome! Are you going to be the "in-race reporter?" Because I'm sure we'd all love to send you some mailbag questions. :)

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Stay safe, CBJ - broadcast showed lightning just outside the track.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

NASCAR's got seven checks to write to those teams. That was ridiculous.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

IIRC, the last time this race started in the daytime was in 1997, when John Andretti won his first race in the 98 car.

So, a Josh Wise win tomorrow? :getin:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Can't wait until NASCAR hands down the Curtis Turner treatment and bans the multi-car teams for life, leaving a championship battle between Landon Cassill and Michael McDowell.

New NASCAR's gonna rule. :getin:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

BMB5150 posted:

So LoTR fans got pissed at NASCAR because they couldn't watch their movies (with commercials, cut parts, etc...) because NASCAR happened and another twitter scrum during a Daytona race happened. Best one is NASCAR Wonka.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/07/nascar-daytona-lord-of-the-rings

I request my name to be changed to Lord of the Rings with Jimmie's :smug: grin as my av.

Jeff Burton's is pretty awesome, too.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I also like that they mention that they took back control of NASCAR.com from Turner Sports, when Turner Sports had actually been doing a really good job with it, and the current NASCAR.com is a loving abomination.

This times a hundred. When NASCAR took over the site, they laid off the editorial staff and deleted all their articles. Mark Aumann, who did the feature on my site in 2010, is now semi-retired and doing production work for the PGA.

quote:

One type of fan that France said is essential to develop is millennials (those born from approximately 1980-2000). He called this effort the number-one focus of NASCAR’s strategy. To that end, NASCAR has boosted its digital presence in recent years, including the 2013 re-acquisition of its digital rights from Turner Sports. The company has also launched a partnership with Twitter and created an official iPhone app. France said 100 employees manage NASCAR.com, and the organization’s drivers are highly encouraged to have a strong social media presence.

If I were nine years old today instead of in 1991, I wonder if I'd get hooked on today's product. I honestly don't know.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

This sounds hilarious - I'd watch too. :)

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Morgan Shepherd runs Circle Sport's #33 this weekend, his first start since Phoenix in March, and will beat his own record as the oldest driver to start a NASCAR points-paying race. On Sunday, he'll be 72 years, 9 months, and 1 day. Phoenix also saw Shepherd become the Cup Series' oldest last-place finisher, but not the oldest in NASCAR history. That record still belongs to James Harvey Hylton, whose 2011 run in Darlington's Nationwide race came when he was 76 years, 8 months, and 10 days old.

Also, Eddie MacDonald, who's won three times at Loudon in the K&N Pro Series East, makes his Cup debut driving for Frankie Stoddard in the #32. MacDonald hasn't run in the top three NASCAR divisions since his lone Truck start in 2010, but this season, he's won both a K&N race at Bristol and an ACT late model race this season. The track seems pretty hyped about this kid, which is pretty cool. They even did a special ticket package named after him. MacDonald's car this weekend is sponsored by Androzene, a "High Potency Formula."

EDIT: This owns.

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 11, 2014

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion Driver Name

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

The only thing that surprises me about this RTA thing heating up is that it didn't happen sooner.

If Big Bill France were in charge, it would've been squashed before we ever heard about it.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

That bar graph toward the bottom was what I was going to point to. In Cup, there were all those mergers and team collapses in the 2008-2009 offseason, and NASCAR has yet to rebound from that in the same way they did the 2003-2004 downsizing. The start-ups from 2009 have themselves had to merge since then just to survive, so the quality and worth of the field has suffered as a result.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Hey, SRA, we're still with you, man. Gave it a helluva run today!

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Holy crap that owned.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Absolutely enjoyed that race - I don't know in what way, but it felt even more competitive than last year. DWJ's all right in my book, and Larson's truck was the most beat-up but fast racer I've seen since his Nationwide car at Darlington earlier this year.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Peanut President posted:

Because it looks cool when written in the old curvy modifieds numbers?

This would've been my answer. I actually don't know - he ran the #84 for nearly all of his 281 ARCA starts and once attempted the 500 in that number, too. I did get an unconfirmed report that his switch to the #6 will be permanent. Apparently, he'd always wanted to have a single-digit number.

From the interviews I've done so far, it sounds like independent drivers don't have a firm reason for picking one car number and not another. Apparently, they just take what's available, then stick with it for years. I got that same answer from from Marty Burke, who worked for J.D. McDuffie, and Joe Dan Bailey, the son of H.B. Bailey.

Incidentally, I just posted my interview with Joe Dan Bailey last night. He had some great information about his father, who was the first Cup driver to qualify at Indianapolis in 1994.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

devmd01 posted:

Got a picture with James motherfukkin hylton. :whatup:

Awesome! Is he a cool guy to talk to?

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

CBJSprague24 posted:

Fender-bender in the NASCAR Air Force:

One of Joe Gibbs Racing's Saab 2000s collided on the ramp in Indy with a Stewart-Haas Canadair Regional Jet.

Those are not the two teams I would've expected to get in such a wreck.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

It's been five years, and Carl Long is still start-and-parking for Nationwide teams to pay off that fine.

All for finishing last in a qualifying race to a non-points race - due to engine trouble.

Incidentally, you'll see that Long started 2nd in that race, but it wasn't based on qualifying speed. Quals were rained-out, so the field was set by the order everyone drew for qualifying. Kirk Shelmerdine and Long were on the front row, but both were sent to the back before the green flag - Shelmerdine for crashing in practice and Long, interestingly, for changing engines.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Outlaw Mailman posted:

Interrupting Carl Long chat to say hello from Knoxville! The car I'm crewing on tonight.

Slick-looking ride. Best of luck! :getin:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

quote:

"We've watched Milka develop in the ARCA Racing Series and feel she is prepared for the next step in her stock car racing career," Benton said. "I think that working together with Chris Rice, Milka can find a home in the NASCAR Nationwide Series. She has a very strong fan base and we hope we can attract them to follow her in her NASCAR endeavors."

:getin:

This is gonna be glorious.

EDIT:

Oh, sweet - Nelson Piquet, Jr.'s gonna run Cup this weekend for the return of Randy Humphrey's LASTCAR-leading #77 team! Surprised Tomy Drissi's not on the list driving Nemechek's car, but that could change by Friday.

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

All I can say is it's a good thing Junior won, or this guy might've looked silly:

• Locked thread