Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I would like to point something out:

I liked Wall-E. Great movie.

Here is where it all fell apart: No motherfucker would stay on those ships or even on earth the moment there was warp-drive. The Profit-motive of a capatalistic economy would take over. The ship hyper-drives back to earth from the other side of the goddamn galaxy in like, half a minute.

If earth figured that poo poo out, you better believe that we would be sticking our cock into every planet galaxy wide for nothing other than the sheer satisfaction of it.

I liked what they tried to do, but a ship slow-boating to earth, full of corpses arriving at a dead planet would have been a better ending. Skeletons piled against the exit doors with small scratches in the advanced armor plating.

The last skeletons alive (the ones with the densest bones) scratched out "we lived".

Wall-E sits there, broken, waiting for spare parts. Eve waiting, impatiently, as the ship approaches earth for a half-millennia. She exits the corpse-mess only to find the dead world, with her dead friends.

I think that would have been a better ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

THS posted:

it was a parable and the point was to critique consumer culture using a cartoon robot as the protagonist hth

was your suspension of disbelief ruined before or after you realized this was a 3d animated film made by the same company that brought you toy story

My suspension of disbelief was maintained until they hit hyperdrive.

At that point I realized the technological level of humanity had progressed before they left earth, not after.

Also, consumer culture wasn't the problem. It was indicative of bad storytelling. A capitalist market rewards companies to deal with the environmental problems because the citizens will demand it. As we see today, the green movement is rewarding companies with higher profit margins for providing environmentally sound products.

There is no reason to abstain from technology (a clear subtext of the movie) or consumerism (another clear point), as those two alone would weaken our country. We need to be aware of what movies, especially poorly written ones, will do to the easily molded minds of our kids.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fandyien posted:

i don't think its a gimmick, nobody would be clever enough to come up with poo poo like talking about his fat wife's dirty vagina for like ten pages in the gay jihad thread

I'm sorry your loneliness and self-disgust is being projected onto me.

I don't recall talking about anything other than :siren: My Wife :siren: with no adjectives attached.

I hope this doesn't effect your ability to realize the necessary aspects of capitalism and why movies like this and "The Lorax" are really just crimes against our childrens' education.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

THS posted:

a discrepancy in your gimmick posting :ohdear:

It was a great movie. That is why I said it up front. But unfortunately, the suspension of disbelief, and the subsequent loss of faith in the message of the movie bothered me.

The love story between two robots was very cute and wonderful. Too bad Wall-E wasn't built for pleasure, only speed.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Concerned Citizen posted:

how did you use this thread tag

You can use them now obviously.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sleeptalker posted:

He's also an actual fascist.

I don't know since when this became an insult to thrown around casually, rather than an actual description of someones' political leanings.

I'm a Utilitarian Corporatist, at least attempt to get it right.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sleeptalker posted:

Explain to me the difference.

You should just go into my post history and look up how I explain the aberrations in the political system (and how to outlaw them) and how we need to ensure the societal betters (Job Creators like me) and doing the voting and ensuring this country remains strong by ensuring capitalism is a driving force for culture exportation throughout the world.

It is all very enlightening and helps preserve the law and order we are all used to with the personal freedoms we have grown so accustomed to.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Moridin920 posted:

yeah I think even literal fascists were still more for welfare and helping out the poor than Rhonyn

If the poor bothered to stop eating their WIC or Foodstamps or fat government assistance checks, they may get off their asses and actually get to work at one of the strong companies.

Unemployment for the newly graduated has dropped to only 11%, which is pretty remarkable, considering it was pushing over 35% in 2009.

The stronger the business environment is, the better the poors will be.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Effectronica posted:

Hey, he throws dinner parties, you know

Garden Parties. There is a difference.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

he is a soulless HR drone, he is actually perfectly in line with design standards.

HR Director. The Drones work for me.

They are to design standards, I selected them. I exceed design standards in every way.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Moridin920 posted:

you're a cerebrate, is what you're saying. the employees are the zerg

but in the end you're still just the overmind's bitch

Oh darling,

Capitalism is the overmind, and yes, we are all its Bitch.

I just happen to be in charge of a great many zerg.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Moridin920 posted:

nah that analogy doesn't work because capitalism isn't a sentient thing. capitalism here would be like the overmind's telepathy or whatever it uses to control everything

I don't think you realize that Capitalism is the invisible will of millions of people focusing on the dream of wealth. If that isn't sentient I don't know what you are thinking of, but it isn't correct.

Capitalism is definitely sentient, and it knows our needs and wants and who has what our needs and wants and how to get them to us. We just need to have faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alexzandvar posted:

THE GREAT CHAIN

goddammit goon andrew ryan come up with more original poo poo

I was thinking more like the "great material continuum".

• Locked thread