Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Latest episode (February 3rd): Niccolo's Business Unusual: Part 4

The basics of Item Creation

What is this game?

Legend of Mana is the 4th "Seiken Densetsu" game in Japan and the the 2nd "Mana" game in the states if you don't include Final Fantasy Adventure. Set in the land of Fa'Diel, the game puts you in the shoes of a silent protagonist as you rebuild a desolate land after an undetermined catastrophe wiped out everything. Legend of Mana is a far cry from its predecessors, with a more active combat system and vast crafting system alongside a rather open-ended plot. The game is technically a sequel, but the events are separate from past and future games since the events that unfold depend on the player's curiosity and imagination.

Why are you playing this game?

This is the game that made me love videogames. The story elements really sparks the imagination and exudes charm. The visuals are gorgeous and present an aesthetic that holds up to this day. The gameplay's incredible with a wide berth of variety and a fair amount of depth. You can tell there was a lot of ambition with this game and Square's execution of it was very well handled. This LP is just me expressing my passion of the game.

What're your plans for this LP?

Completion of the main 3 arcs and as many other quests I can cover. There are a few secret quests and extra content as well, which I'll try to cover but there's a fair margin of error. I have backup saves though so I can resort to that.

I also might do supplementary vids covering game mechanics. Some elements are utterly mind boggling.

Update Schedule's gonna be a Tuesday/Friday thing.

Commentators?

So far, its just me. I'd be open to guest commentators, just yell at me on steam/twitter. Highwang/@Highwang1

Thread Rules

-This game is roughly 14 years old, so I don't mind spoilers. Just as a courtesy though, try to spoiler tag stuff that's ahead of the LP please. I might also promote discussion on plot elements I never fully grasped back in the day.

Tutorial Vids

Basics of Combat
The basics of Item Creation

Table of Contents:

Introduction
Niccolo's Business Unusual & The Little Sorcerers
The Lost Princess- Jumi Arc, pt 1
A stroll through Domina
The Gorgon Eye
Faeries' Light
The Fallen Emperor- Dragonslayer Arc, pt 1
Reach for the Stars
Teatime of Danger
Niccolo's Business Unusual 2 & The Wisdom of Gaeus- Faerie Arc, pt 1
Mine Your Own Business
Watts Drops the Hammer, Crafting Introductions
The Mana Orchards; The Seven Wisdoms pt 1
Seeing Double
Diddle's Letter
Diddle Had It!
Huntin' Du'Cate; The Seven Wisdoms pt 2
The Infernal Doll
Daddy's Broom
Summer Lovin'
Professor Bomb's Lab; Golem Go Make'em
Gilbert: School Amour
Drowned Dreams
Lil'Cactus
Siren's Song
The Guardian of Winds- Dragonslayer Arc, pt 2
The Looking-Glass Tower- Jumi Arc, pt 2
Can't Look Back
Where's Putty?
Gilbert: Resume for Love
The Field Trip
The Ghost of Nemesis- Dragonslayer Arc, pt 3
The Murmering Forest- Faerie Arc, pt 2
Two Torches- Faerie Arc, pt 3
Niccolo's Business Unusual: Part 3
Niccolo's Business Unusual: Part 4

Highwang fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Goodness, the music in this game :allears:

Psychorider
May 15, 2009
Saying that this game looks and sounds incredible is the understatement of the century. On the other hand the crafting system is the fever dream of a dangerously insane lunatic. I have never since seen something so ludicrous in anything else. I will be watching and listening to this with interest.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Unrelated to the thread but I had @triplewipe45 draw me a Rabite on twitter, this is the result :3

Edit: Please get a Rabite pet and name him Bitey

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed this game. I actually never got that far into it until one day I decided to 100% it. Of course, I wasn't going to do that myself, so I used a guide. I mastered all the weapons, but barely touched magic (I hope to see what magic can do in this LP, since to me it looked kind of... eh). I hope you show people how awesome the gloves can be.

One thing I never understood how to make work is kind of spoilery maybe, so I'll talk about it when it's relevant.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Get a Chocobo pet. It's really the only way.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats
Oh my goodness, I -love- this game. One of the earlier, yet strongest statements of how a good art style and aesthetic will trump and outlast the -~Latest Hot New Graphics~- of any given day.

And hell, not even to mention the awesome sandbox-plot. Spread love to the world. Here's the world. Have fun!

Chill LP dude :chillpill:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Between this and the Fox Pet LP, I feel like making GBS threads rainbows.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Love the hell out of this game. Great characters, fun gameplay, crazy "plot," beautiful graphics, wonderful music, what's not to love? Besides crafting, I guess, but hey.

Looking forward to more.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Highwang posted:

The story elements really sparks the imagination and exudes charm. The visuals are gorgeous and present an aesthetic that holds up to this day despite being sprite work.

I was totally pissed at you for saying this, but then you use the word "pretense" to mean "backstory" in the video, you mispronounce lucre (it's "loo-ker" not "loo-kra"), and you call pumpkins no spring chickens, which I can't even parse. So I'm assuming you just fumbled your words here are don't actually mean to imply sprite-based graphics are inferior.

And the "seiken" part of Seiken Densetsu is pronounced like "say-ken" not "sai-ken".

To contribute more positively, I'm glad you're doing this! This is a small gem from the happy time when Squaresoft experimented with genres and actually seemed like they had fun making video games. Thank you! I hope you break us in gently when you go over the more arcane and byzantine parts of this game and focus more on the really fun world it develops.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
The Lost Princess

MartianAgitator posted:

I hope you break us in gently when you go over the more arcane and byzantine parts of this game.

Time to start my new miniseries

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
What reason does this game have for having its intro song in swedish. Had to listen to the intro song closely to hear that it is sung at least partly in swedish

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013
Was this game popular over here in the states? It looks great but I've never heard of it.
Also there was a psp version, figures the week after I dust off my old psp to lend to someone I find something I may want to play on it.

Sabbrewolf
Feb 9, 2008

There is no escaping Vanana! Prepare to deehh...

Moronic Farce posted:

Was this game popular over here in the states? It looks great but I've never heard of it.
Also there was a psp version, figures the week after I dust off my old psp to lend to someone I find something I may want to play on it.

I thought the PSP version was just a digital download. Same for PS3 and such. I can't say the game was popular but everyone I've shown it to or I know that has played it loved it if that counts for anything.

I've been streaming this with my brother doing the co-op side of things. Still one of my favorite titles to play due to the combat and the ludicrous crafting you can do. Starting at Luon Highway you can temper goods worth 26k lucre if you know what to do. I never bothered much with the pet training side of things but making Golems was a lot of fun when you got it down.

The fact you could do 1v1 PVP with a friend using your own characters and equipment was awesome. Though to make fights fair you honestly had to ban skills like counterattack and counterstrike.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Moronic Farce posted:

It was, criminally, overshadowed by Squaresoft's other contemporary releases and didn't get much of a print run. I probably wouldn't have ever heard of it either if not for the extremely smart person of excellent taste who ran the nearby rental shop when I was a teenager.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
A stroll through Domina

Uneventful chapter, but Domina's one of those cities where you can miss a lot of small things. We'll come back to that in a future update.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

I think the NPC you missed was on the first floor of the Inn in the room on the right.

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008
This is the chillest LP, I like it. Keep it up.

Legend of Mana's soundtrack is just fantastic; heck, the whole game is fantastic. It feels like its developers were just full of love for the medium and stuffed it full of wonderful things; amazing art, beautiful music, an abundance of deep (although obscure) game systems. It's like the developers were used to making games on the SNES and went:

"Right, we have 16 times more RAM, 8 times the resolution, 20 times more storage space and a capacity to display unlimited colors. What do you want to do with it?"

"Everything!"

This game represents the golden age of gaming for me, and not just because I was a kid when I first played it. Mostly.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Silly Cactus, spelling "spiky" two different ways in the same sentence!

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

That Irish Guy posted:

I think the NPC you missed was on the first floor of the Inn in the room on the right.

Yeah I realized that much later in the recordings. This poor save file wont be able to attain 100% completion.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Highwang posted:

Yeah I realized that much later in the recordings. This poor save file wont be able to attain 100% completion.

Guess that means you're going to have to forge an accessory with that special attribute :getin:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Highwang posted:

Time to restart then. :) That NPC is the best NPC in the game and you should feel ashamed that you haven't gotten them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Highwang posted:

The Lost Princess

Time to start my new miniseries

Actually, you can get this quest even if you antagonize him as much as possible. Which I always do, because I think he is an rear end.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
The Gorgon Eye

I'm sorry voiceofdog, these were recorded in advance and I couldn't process the request.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

This game is charming and silly and I like it :3:

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Faeries' Light

Literally the chillest episode with the goofiest character.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Thanks for adding the dudbear translations, dude. Made things nice and easy to watch.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Wait that dude was a Centaur? Why did I never notice that until the art came up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zain posted:

Wait that dude was a Centaur? Why did I never notice that until the art came up.

Don't worry, I knew about this but I still get surprised every goddamn time I play this part again. I think there maybe some subtile optical trickery involved. (Or we're just both stupid, take your pick. :v:)

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013
I didn't notice it either but for most of the video he was kind of obscured by the town's buildings ect.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
The Fallen Emperor

I was gonna post a combat primer vid with this, but I got tied up in other affairs. I'll get it up soon.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

He did say he was a Dragoon. Which generally has dragon like armor.

Louispul5
Oct 10, 2012
I remember this game now. I had absolutely no idea what was going on, but I had a werewolf dragoon helping me and my chocobo kill dragons and it felt awesome.

And get a chocobo. From what I remember they hit like a truck and evaded everything. If any member of your party was alive, your dead party members slowly heal back up and get up again. So since I had no idea what I was doing, most fights involved hitting things until I died, then watching my pet dodge every enemy attack for 5 minutes until I could get up again.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Louispul5 posted:

I remember this game now. I had absolutely no idea what was going on, but I had a werewolf dragoon helping me and my chocobo kill dragons and it felt awesome.

And get a chocobo. From what I remember they hit like a truck and evaded everything. If any member of your party was alive, your dead party members slowly heal back up and get up again. So since I had no idea what I was doing, most fights involved hitting things until I died, then watching my pet dodge every enemy attack for 5 minutes until I could get up again.

Chocobos are ok. They're a mid-tier pet. The primary reason to use one outside of aesthetics/novelty is its Synchro, Status Recovery, which can help when facing enemies that abuse status ailments.

I think we've seen Shrieknips by now, and those are great pets because while they don't do much damage, they spam area of effect status spells over and over.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
The Flame of Hope

Ever get the feeling you're always late to the party?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

That quest if I remember takes a while to actually complete. Gato though is my favorite area and I'm not really sure why.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Kinda hosed up my workload inbetween steam sales & a review I'm working on, so no update for today.

That Irish Guy posted:

Guess that means you're going to have to forge an accessory with that special attribute :getin:

I can craft it actually, but yeah many of my former comments about team management will be rendered moot when that episode pops up.

biosterous posted:

Thanks for adding the dudbear translations, dude. Made things nice and easy to watch.

Mega64 has a better translation if you want to see what they actually say, but I like the idea that we have a rudimentary knowledge of the language and can barely understand them.

Libluini posted:

Don't worry, I knew about this but I still get surprised every goddamn time I play this part again. I think there maybe some subtile optical trickery involved. (Or we're just both stupid, take your pick. :v:)

It's actually kinda hard to tell initially since he's presented in front of you during this quest. In later Gilbert quests, you see his flank and he is more easily identified as a centaur.

Louispul5 posted:

Chocobos are starter pets. Besides, I have my own personal preference of pets. Or psuedo-pet if you have an idea of what you can get.

Zain posted:

That quest if I remember takes a while to actually complete. Gato though is my favorite area and I'm not really sure why.

Gato's pretty rad. I like the idea of how its focused on nature and spiritualism so much that they didn't construct a single thing in the area, its all carved from the land's rock.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

quote:

Chocobos are starter pets. Besides, I have my own personal preference of pets. Or psuedo-pet if you have an idea of what you can get.

Straight up, if you're not using Mad Mallard, you have hosed up. That dude knows how to party.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Reach for the Stars

Post-vid spoilers:
I honestly think Mephinase was just messing around with Katinja & everyone else. Later events reveal that he's not the kinda guy who would just outright destroy the world, and he didn't exactly do anything menacing with his henchmen either. I think he was just trying to show his students a good time and the Mage Guild just misinterpreted it. That's just my thoughts though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Teatime of Danger

Psychokinesis!

• Locked thread