Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Last week, a once-in-a-decade tempest forced your party to take shelter
in the tiny fishing village of Codcliffe — a hardscrabble settlement far from the heart of the Empire.

This morning, after the storm broke, you were joined there by a Captain-Senator and his bodyguard. These impressive persons are castaways from HMS Relentless, an indigo-sailed Imperial treasure
galleon. She lies beached on a nearby tide flat that is shunned by the villagers, a place where the octopus folk gather to bellow at the comets.

These ragged Imperials come not as guests but as overseers, and they demand the service their Empire is due. For in the chaos of the wreck, Relentless lost her most valuable cargo: the prisoner Mr. Hobart and his notorious crew of corsairs. The Emperor has commanded that Hobart’s marauders be presented to the Court in time for High Season, so that he might proclaim a nine-day execution feast in their honor. The Captain-Senator will do whatever is necessary to fulfill his Emperor’s wishes, and he demands Codcliffe’s assistance.

The villagers are apprehensive. They loathe the tax-hungry Imperials, they are terrified of marauders, and they have known for generations that it is unwise to trespass on the lands of the octopus folk...

----

What is this?
This is a Dungeon World adventure -- the Indigo Galleon, by John Aegard, with some tweaks made by myself. If you find the adventure's PDF, that PDF won't tell you about the important changes I have made.

Style/Setting
Much of this will be made up by you, but I imagine there to be a massive shallow sea, forming up much of the known world. Codcliffe rests on an island on the edge of this shallow sea, where the Dropoff happens, and the shallow sea turns into the Abyssal Ocean, where few dare to go, and fewer return from. Monsters lurk in those waters, as well as vast ancient civilizations both above and below the surface.

How do I join up?
Easy. Post up your Level 1 Character Playbook in this thread, answer my questions, and voila! You're in if you make the cut.

I'm looking for 3-7 Players.

Playbooks: None of the paid-for playbooks. If it's anything other than a default playbook, you'll need to give me the full details on it so I can approve or disapprove of it. A simple link along with your playbook in the thread should suffice.

What are your character-creation questions?

1.) What do you search for?
2.) Do you support the Imperials? Why or why not?
3.) What do you fear?

I don't hang out in an IRC, but if the thread, or my PM Inbox on SA is insufficient, my Skype is arch-striker "Leigh Nutting". You're welcome to message me there; Just make sure you mention that you're from SA or I may accidentally deny any requests to add me as a contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Seems interesting enough. I'll put something together tomorrow.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I think I'm going to app an Initiate (A hand to hand martial artist monk type dude)
The Initiate

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Error 404 posted:

I think I'm going to app an Initiate (A hand to hand martial artist monk type dude)
The Initiate

Initiate is A-OK. Submit whenever you're ready.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Vimmen Viggor, Paladin of the Holy Bolt

Vimmen Viggor was found as a child by the nuns of the Holy Order of Bolt. They took little Vim back to their keep and raised him according to the scriptures, until he was old enough to take on the mantle of the Paladin. For a few years now, he's travelled the country roads, spreading the wisdom of watching the skies, erecting the sacred lightning rods, and striking quickly at those sinners who believe themselves above the law. And where Vimmen strikes once, he needn't strike again.

What do you search for?
Vimmen searches for non-believers to convert and sinners to punish, generally. But more specifically, it is said that the octopus-folk of the sea worship a heretical god - Vimmen would seek to kill this god in the name of Bolt.
Do you support the Imperials? Why or why not?
Support. The Holy Order of Bolt is an officially-recognized religion in these lands, and Vimmen himself is on good terms with those Imperial liaisons with whom he's had dealings in the past. Men who spend their lives in service of the purse and the rod can easily be swayed by the demonstrable might of Bolt!
What do you fear?
Bolt is the light and the power, cutting through air from above to find purchase in the hearts of men. Vimmen fears its opposites - the dark, the cold, being suffocated, being overwhelmed by godless beasts. But there is little need for fear when Bolt has struck your heart and turned its dusty flatness into an orb of clearest glass!

quote:

Look: glowing eyes, helmet, worn holy symbol, bulky body

Level: 3
Damage: d10+1
Armor: 2+1
HP: 26/26

Alignment: Lawful - Deny mercy to a criminal or unbeliever.
Race: Human - When you pray for guidance, even for a moment, and ask, “What here is evil?” the GM will tell you, honestly.

STR: 13 // +1
CON: 16 // +2
DEX: 8 // -1
INT: 9 // 0
WIS: 13 // +1
CHA: 16 // +2

Starting Moves:
Lay On Hands
When you touch someone, skin to skin, and pray for their well-being , roll+CHA.
On a 10+ you heal 1d8 damage or remove one disease.
On a 7–9, they are healed, but the damage or disease is transferred to you.

Armored
You ignore the clumsy tag on armor you wear.

I Am the Law
When you give an NPC an order based on your divine authority, roll+Cha.
On a 7+, they choose one:
- Do what you say
- Back away cautiously, then flee
- Attack you
On a 10+, you also take +1 forward against them.
On a miss, they do as they please and you take -1 forward against them.

Quest
When you dedicate yourself to a mission through prayer and ritual cleansing, state what you set out to do:
- Slay _______, a great blight on the land
- Defend _______ from the iniquities that beset them
- Discover the truth of _______
Then choose up to two boons:
- An unwavering sense of direction to _______.
- Invulnerability to _______ (e.g., edged weapons, fire, enchantment, etc.)
- A mark of divine authority
- Senses that pierce lies
- A voice that transcends language
- A freedom from hunger, thirst, and sleep
The GM will then tell you what vow or vows is required of you to maintain your blessing:
- Honor (forbidden: cowardly tactics and tricks)
- Temperance (forbidden: gluttony in food, drink, and pleasure of the flesh)
- Piety (required: observance of daily holy services)
- Valor (forbidden: suffering an evil creature to live)
- Truth (forbidden: lies)
- Hospitality (required: comfort to those in need, no matter who they are)

Staunch Defender
When you defend you always get +1 hold, even on a 6-.

Deity: THE ALMIGHTY BOLT
• Controls: Electricity
• Represents: Purity
• Worshippers: Priests. priestesses, and paladins
• Enemies: Those that dwell in darkness
• Demands: Truth

Invocation
When you call out for your deity's aid in a time of need, choose a Blessing and roll +WIS. On a 10+, your deity will intervene on your behalf - the GM will tell you how. On a 7-9, your deity will grant your Blessing, but you will also need to choose a Requirement.
Blessing
• Your invocation manipulates the realm your deity Controls.
• Your invocation commands something your deity Represents.
• Your invocation bolsters your deity's Worshippers.
• Your invocation rebukes your deity's Enemies.
Requirement
• Your invocation is obvious and immediate, drawing attention to you.
• The intervention is subtle or takes a while to manifest.
• Your deity demands something in return. The GM will tell you what.
• The divine experience leaves you dizzy with euphoria (or terror). You take -1 ongoing to Invoke until you have time to pray quietly for a while.

Gear:
Dungeon rations (1 weight) - 4/5
Adventuring gear (1 weight) - 5/5
Scale armor (2 armor, 3 weight)
A chunk of rough glass with a jagged bolt of metal in it, on a chain (0 weight) (Sammi)
Long sword (close, +1 damage, 1 weight)
Purified shield (+1 armor, 2 weight)
3 Healing potions (0 weight)
3 Antitoxins (0 weight)
The Forge Hammer (Close, Precise, Forceful, Messy, Weight 1)
3 Merman bows (1 weight, near, aquatic, 3 ammo)
Load: 12 / 12

Current Bonds:
Sia executed a masterful pincer strike on a lobster with me and can be trusted completely.
I respect the dragon-slaying skills of Rory but hope he will someday accept Bolt into his heart.
I let Sammi down back there... Bolt demands I make it up to her.
Luca betrayed my trust, but so far he's helped us... With my help, his plans will do good in the name of Bolt!

Something Else fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 23, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Sia of the Black Hand
Initiate

Sia is a young woman of singular focus, and unique fury. She was found as a baby at the front steps of the Shrieking Winds Martial School, and soon rose to prominence as soon as she could walk. As she grew, so too did her fury and the power of her strikes. She could split steel plates with ease, and kill with a touch, as she demonstrated upon her schoolmates and mentors one fateful day. Now she wanders the world in search of greater challenge.

Sia is boisterous, brash, and foul mouthed. What she lacks in book smarts she makes up for in street smarts and dogged determination.

I search for fortune and challenge, and I'm not picky as to how I get either. I'm gonna be a legend and/or live forever!
I'm fairly ambivalent, my school is was in the empire, and so I suppose I'm an imperial citizen, though I don't particularly care for the empire.
3.) What do you fear?
Never carving a place for myself in history.

quote:

Look:
Sharp eyes, Wild hair, Loose clothes, Slim body
XP: 4/10
Alignment: Chaotic (Prove your kung fu is superior)
Race: Human (Your people are naturally aggressive, and you take +1 forward on the first action of any fight.)

DMG: d10 2 Piercing, Messy, Forceful
Armor: 2
HP: 23

STR 13(+1) INT 8(-1)
DEX 18(+3) WIS 9(+0)
CON 15(+1) CHA 12(+0)

GEAR:
Dungeon Rations (15/15 uses, 2 weight)
Black pearl prayer beads (mark/token from my school 0 weight)
Adventuring Gear (15/15 uses, 2 weight)
Poultices and Herbs (1/2 uses, slow, 10 coins, heal 7 dmg/use, 1 weight)
0/3 Healing Potions (heal 10 dmg or remove one Debility, 0 weight) *out of 24 purchased for the group.
Personal Effects (0 Weight)
Fire Marble Locket (lights up, worn, expensive, 0 weight)

Coins Mostly broke
Load: 6/9

Bonds
  • I have traveled with Rory Watchtower for some time. We share similar interests in fighting, carousing, and causing mayhem.
  • Rory Watchtower and I work well together, he's one of the few people I count as a friend.
    He may be twice my height, and several times my bulk, but when we enter battle, we do so as equals.
  • Luca may be a liar and a thief, but I can count on him to watch my back when it counts.
  • Sammi Cubrick is growing into quite the hellraiser, I should mentor her.
  • I often wonder what it would be like to fight Rags.

LEVEL UP
lvl 2: +1DEX, Skin of Bronze, Bones of Iron
lvl 3: +1DEX, Forging the Temple Body

quote:

MOVES:
Signature Style: Tenebrae Mortis Scorpionis Tripudium Spiralem
TRANSLATION: "Dance of the Scorpion along the Black Spiral of Death" from an Archaic form of the Imperial language, sometimes spoken in Sia's home province.
Hand, 0 weight, Messy, Forceful, 2 Piercing

Focus: Hands and Feet, Precise
Enhancements: Brutal, Dim Mak
Look: Hardened Fury
Fighting styles are often distinguished as 'hard' and 'soft'.
A 'soft' style is focused on fluid and economic movements that redirect an enemy's attacks away from the practitioner, or back upon the enemy.
A 'hard' style teaches that force must be met with overwhelming force and speed, that all energy must be focused toward the killing blow.
Sia prefers to use her own unique style (the Tenebrae Mortis), developed with her own flair and strengths in mind, it combines hard and soft techniques in a way that allows her to maximize force and minimize danger to herself.

She wastes no actions, always moving with maximum efficiency to redirect opponent's attacks and turning that energy around into brutally damaging strikes. She is a master of manipulating the energy channels throughout the body, as well as her own energy.

The kinetic force of a punch spread out over an area the size of a fist?
That won't do any damage at all, it's too weak and spread out.
But when she combines her energy with momentum redirected from a foe and focuses it even further into an area smaller around than a finger tip, or along the edge of a forearm or foot?
The kinetic force of that strike can puncture steel plate, pulverize bone, and obliterate flesh.
That punch can impale a man, a simple forearm block can shatter weapons and armor or tear off limbs with a little leverage, a simple kick can split some obscene monstrosity like rotted fruit.

Ability of Lightness
When you run across a surface that cannot hold your weight, roll +Dex.
On a 10+, you make it across gracefully and without trouble.
On a 7-9, you make it across, but expose yourself to danger somehow. The GM will tell you how.

Sublime Understanding of the Body
When you attack a foe purely to disable them, roll +Dex.
On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1:
  • They are dizzied and unstable.
  • Their muscles are weakened or strained.
  • They feel sick and nauseated.
  • One of their limbs is locked or made useless.
  • Their control of their magical power is loosened.

Skin of Bronze, Bones of Iron
When you wear no armor and use no shield, you get 2 Armor.

Forging the Temple Body
When you have access to a shrine, you may undergo a ritual process of purification and meditation to graft the magical qualities of a weapon directly into your body.
This process destroys the magical weapon, but gives your signature style the magical powers of the destroyed weapon.
Blood Silver (Potential): Works vs Dust. Super effective against undead. Great at channeling Divine magics.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 6, 2015

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Wilem d’Aubric Cantano van Hoff

Wilem d’Aubric Cantano van Hoff is a wandering bard, and occasional thief. Initially he had set out to become a great wizard and even apprenticed for a time, but ultimately parted on unamicable terms with his master due to his lack of focus. He fell in with a troupe of wandering performers who appreciated what little magic he had picked up and in turn taught him to play the horn, fight, and steal in roughly that order. He emphasizes style over substance but is a loyal friend.

1. What do you search for:
Wilem loves to learn and see things that he thought was impossible. He wants to see the world and experience everything that he can.
2. Do you support the Imperials? Why or why not?
Wilem believes that the Imperials have overreached, but do good as well. He has been in an Imperial jail before, but the Imperials also help to keep the roads clean of bandits.
3. What do you fear?
Being trapped. Wilem fears prison, slavery, being trapped in a cave, or even just stuck in the same town for the rest of his life.

Level: 1

DMG: d6
Armor: 1
HP: 14/14
XP: 0

STR9 (+0) INT 13 (+1)
DEX 15 (+1) WIS 12 (+0)
CON 8 (-1) CHA 16 (+2)

Alignment: Good (Perform your art to aid someone else)
Race: Human (When you first enter a civilized settlement someone who respects the custom of hospitality to minstrels will take you in as their guest.)
Look: Joyous Eyes, A Stylish Cap, Finery, a Fit Body

MOVES:
Arcane Art
Bardic Lore (Spells and Magicks)
Charming and Open
A Port in the Storm

GEAR:
A Stolen Horn (0 weight)
Leather Armor (1 armor 1 weight)
Dueling rapier (close, precise, 2 weight)
Adventuring gear (1 weight)
No coins
Load: 4/9

Bonds:
This is not my first adventure with _______________.
I sang stories of _______________ long before I ever met them in person.
_______________ is often the butt of my jokes.
I am writing a ballad about the adventures of _______________.
_______________ trusted me with a secret.
_______________ does not trust me, and for good reason

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Miller

Miller's family had lived on their island for a long time before catastrophe struck. It was a lush home and they lived well with nature, from a young age bonding with various animals and learning the ways of both the land and the sea. It all changed once the Karkanaks appeared. Horrifying crab-like creatures that scuttled from the beaches to take back what they claimed as rightfully theirs. Most of his family was killed in their first raids, but at that point Miller had what it took to survive. He'd do anything. It took six months for an Imperial Task Force on Monstrous Creatures to arrive to deal with the threat, despite numerous requests for help. By the time the creatures were cleared and the island reclaimed for humanity Miller was all alone, only his trusty hawk Roland to keep him company.

I search for creatures that upset the natural order, those beasts that require a true hunter.

The Empire saved my life, that's true. But the numerous others slain cannot go unaccounted for. They are weak and don't care for their citizens.

3.) What do you fear?
There are creatures out there that do not fear man, great ancient beasts and civilizations older than land. I truly fear these monsters, I can only hope that in man's time of need I will face my fears.

quote:

Damage: d8
HP: 20/20

STR: 13 (+1)
DEX: 16 (+2)
CON: 12 (+0)
INT: 9 (+0)
WIS: 15 (+1)
CHA: 8 (-1)

Alignment: Good: Endanger yourself to combat an unnatural threat.
Race: Human: When you make camp in a dungeon or city, you don't need to consume a ration.
Look: Sharp eyes, wide-brimmed hat, camouflage, wild body.

Moves:
Hunt and Track:
When you follow a trail of clues left behind by passing creatures, roll+WIS. On a 7+ you follow the creature's trail until there's a significant change in its direction or mode of travel. On a 10+ you also choose 1:
-Gain a useful bit of information about your quarry, the GM will tell you what.
-Determine what caused the trail to end.

Called Shot:
When you attack a defenseless or surprised enemy at range, you can choose to deal your damage or name your target and roll+DEX
-Head: 7-9: They do nothing but stand and drool for a few moments, 10+: As 7-9 plus your damage.
-Arms: 7-9: They drop anything they're holding, 10+: As 7-9 plus your damage.
-Legs: 7-9: They're hobbled and slow moving, 10+" As 7-9 plus your damage.

Animal Companion:
You have a supernatural connection with a loyal animal, you can't talk to it per se but it always acts as you wish it to.
Name: Roland
Species: Hawk
Base: Ferocity +2, Cunning +2, 0 Armor, Instinct +1
Strengths: Fast, keen senses
Training: Fight humanoids, fight monsters, scout
Weakness: Flighty

Command:
When you work with your animal companion on something it's trained in...
-...and you attack the same target, add its ferocity to your damage.
-...and you track, and its cunning to your roll.
-...and you take damage, add its armor to your armor.
-...and you Discern Realities, add its cunning to your roll.
-...and you Parley, add its cunning to your roll.
-...and someone interferes with you, add its instinct to your roll.

Gear:
Hunter's Bow(near, far, 1 weight)
Short Sword(close, 1 weight)
Leather armor (1 armor, 1 weight)
Dungeon Rations (5/5, 1 weight)
Adventuring Gear(5/5, 1 weight)
Bundles of Arrows (5/6, 2 weight)
Load: 7/12

Bonds:
I have guided Sia before and they owe me for it.
Wilem is a friend of nature, so I will be their friend as well.
Rory has no respect for nature, so I have no respect for them.
Icarus does not understand life in the wild, so I will teach them.

I changed the hood to a hat, hope that's kosher. :D

Bear Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 22, 2014

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Watch this space for a cool rear end Ranger!

I look forward to it!

And thank you to everyone so far who have submitted. I'm really happy with what's been posted up so far, but here are a few more questions you'll need to answer in-character...

Vimmen, it is clear that you are a worthy champion of Bolt, the almighty and far-reaching. What, to you, are the two most important commandments of Bolt?

Sia, I'm sure you've broken many things - boards, bricks, bones, and people - but was there ever someone you ran into that outdid you, or are you still searching for someone to match your martial prowess?

Wilem, what do you regret most in your life?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Nevermore214 posted:

Sia, I'm sure you've broken many things - boards, bricks, bones, and people - but was there ever someone you ran into that outdid you, or are you still searching for someone to match your martial prowess?

People tend to explode like overripe fruit when I hit them, though I have met many challengers, I am still searching for my true equal.

Edit: another way to put it is this. Though I have been defeated before, through trickery, or strength of numbers and the like, I have never faced anyone I felt was an equal.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 12, 2014

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nevermore214 posted:

Vimmen, it is clear that you are a worthy champion of Bolt, the almighty and far-reaching. What, to you, are the two most important commandments of Bolt?

Some of the gods that are worshipped in this world are invisible. Their followers rely on faith to have their prayers answered. Bolt laughs at these gods, his chuckles rumbling across the heavens!! When Bolt is present, everyone knows it, even if they do not acknowledge him as such. Thick black storm clouds fill the sky, arcs of blue lightning flash between them, thunder rolling like barrels barrels the deck of a sinking ship! When Bolt interferes to smite a non-believer, a finger of pure, holy electricity reaches down from his turbulent body and stops their heart between beats.

"Bolt is the Power that Purifies."

But Bolt's almighty finger isn't only used for smiting heretics - it is also used to heal, to teach, to inspire. There is a sacrament, a rite of passage for all the Paladins of Vimmen's order. After a lifetime of training and study, one must climb to the top of the cathedral spire, where the great lightning rod still stands to this day, and open ones heart to almighty Bolt's sweet caress. Is there pain? Of course. But there is also enlightenment, and divine power. Vimmen doesn't presume to have any command over Bolt's power, though he hopes to be a worthy channel for it. If he prays hard enough, opening his heart to the lightning sacrament, Bolt may see fit to empower him in pursuit of a holy objective.

"Bolt is the Light in the Darkness."

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Erik Gotteskeule

Erik is a novice warrior priest of the god Kallak Bor, God of Bloody Conquest. He was orphaned at an early age in one of the Empire's constant wars, his parents (and indeed every resisting adult in the village) murdered beneath the swords of the Imperial Army. As is done in these circumstances, the children were rounded up and dispatched to the nearest Imperial orphanage where they were ruthlessly indoctrinated and sifted for talent, faith, and any sign whatsoever of a rebellious nature. Erik was too young to have much memory of his life beforehand, and his native intelligence, martial gifts, and prodigious patience made him an ideal candidate for Kallak Bor's priesthood. He is currently 22 and on the Wanderjahr each novice must complete in order to experience the world's treachery and prove that he can surmount it with only the god's guidance and his own will. So far, it has been sufficiently uneventful as to leave some doubt as to whether he will even be afforded the opportunity to make that proof to his god, and he is the picture of pent up violence as a result.

1. What do you search for:
Victory in battle, glorious conquest for the Empire and Kallak Bor, and the office of Imperial Chaplain.
2. Do you support the Imperials? Why or why not?
Of course. They have been father and mother to him, and his god has personally blessed the Emperor.
3. What do you fear?
An ignominious death. Failing to prove himself before god and Empire (absolute best case scenario, a severely curtailed desk job as a scribe or somesuch - possibly much worse). Hurricanes.

XP: 1

DMG: d6
HP: 19/19

Stats:
STR: 15 (+1)
DEX: 9 (+0)
CON: 13 (+1)
INT: 12 (+0)
WIS: 16 (+2)
CHA: 8 (-1)

Alignment: Evil - Harm another to prove the superiority of your church or god.
Race: Human - Your faith is diverse. Choose one wizard spell. You can cast and be
granted that spell as if it was a cleric spell. Not entirely sure when I need to pick this or what the restrictions are.
Look: Sharp eyes, thin body, bald head tattooed with the names of his god in a complete circle around forehead level. Red and black battle vestments over chainmail.

Moves:
Deity: Kallak Bor, domain: Bloody Conquest, preaches the sanctity of suffering, add Petition: Suffering (ideally the suffering of someone you have defeated in battle or taken in conquest, but your own will do if you can't manage the former).

Divine Guidance
When you petition your deity according to the precept of your religion, you are granted some
useful knowledge or boon related to your deity’s domain. The GM will tell you what.

Commune
When you spend uninterrupted time (an hour or so) in quiet communion with your deity, you:
• Lose any spells already granted to you.
• Are granted new spells of your choice whose total levels don’t exceed your own level+1,
and none of which is a higher level than your own level.
• Prepare all of your rotes, which never count against your limit.

Cast a Spell
When you unleash a spell granted to you by your deity, roll+Wis. ✴On a 10+, the spell is
successfully cast and your deity does not revoke the spell, so you may cast it again. ✴On a 7–9,
the spell is cast, but choose one:
• You draw unwelcome attention or put yourself in a spot. The GM will tell you how.
• Your casting distances you from your deity—take -1 ongoing to cast a spell until the next
time you commune.
• After you cast it, the spell is revoked by your deity. You cannot cast the spell again until you
commune and have it granted to you.
Note that maintaining spells with ongoing effects will sometimes cause a penalty to your roll
to cast a spell.

Turn Undead
When you hold your holy symbol aloft call on your deity for
protection, roll+Wis. ✴On a 7+, so long as you continue to pray
and brandish your holy symbol, no undead may come within reach
of you. ✴On a 10+, intelligent undead are momentarily dazed and
mindless undead flee. Aggression breaks the effects and they are
able to act as normal. Intelligent undead may still find ways to
harry you from afar. They’re clever like that.

Gear:
Your Load is 25 or 11, if it's modifier and not score. You carry dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight) and
the polished knucklebone of the first man he killed (holy symbol) on a chain.
⃞ Chainmail (1 armor, 1 weight)
⃞ Warhammer (close, 1 weight)
⃞ Adventuring gear (1 weight) and dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight)

Bonds:
Vimmen has insulted my deity; I do not trust them.
There is room for other gods, of course. Kallak Bor is no administrator, and there is much to oversee. But to hold another deity above him! To balk at His rites!

Rory is a good and faithful person; I trust them implicitly.
Oh, he is not a priest and does not know the sacred rites, but he is the very emblem of the god's ideal - unstoppable in combat and constantly seeking out new foes to conquer.

_______________ is in constant danger, I will keep them safe.
Reeeeallly doesn't fit Kallak Bor's priesthood. If you're in danger, it is your responsibility to defend yourself. To do otherwise is weak and unworthy. Gonna do a custom bond instead.
Although Sammi's weakness disgusts me, her monstrous bond could be very useful.
If her method could be learned...oh, imagine what someone who isn't so...quivery... could accomplish with such a tool.

I am working on converting Sia to my faith.
She has the spirit, discipline and drive to work wonders for the god, but it is clear she has not been schooled in his ways. I must remedy this.

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 22, 2014

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Watch this post, it'll turn into a mage if that's okay with you. If it's not, this post might just become a wizard.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 12, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Made a fabulous map the one time I ran this:

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013
I think I'll make a thief/smuggler.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Hey bear enthusiast, you know that at some point Miller is gonna have to be blindsided by his prey and say "clever girl" just before being attacked, right? :haw:

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I want to test out a play book I made myself. Gm of course has veto rights. I'll post a link below for you to have a look.

The Bonded

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

Watch this post, it'll turn into a mage if that's okay with you. If it's not, this post might just become a wizard.

Looks fine! Fire away on your mage.

Arashiofordo3 posted:

I want to test out a play book I made myself. Gm of course has veto rights. I'll post a link below for you to have a look.

The Bonded

It looks really cool/interesting, but what is your Wyrd stat? I didn't see a place where that was set.

GenericRX posted:

I think I'll make a thief/smuggler.
Bitchin'. Can't wait to see it.

Megazver posted:

Made a fabulous map the one time I ran this...
Hahahaha. Nice. "Kitan" got me.

---

Miller, where do the Karkanaks come from, and what did they want? Does anyone even know?

Erik, uneventful journeys bring little honor to Kallak Bor (blessed be his hammer). Have you ever even been in a battle?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Nevermore214 posted:

Wilem, what do you regret most in your life?
Leaving his family behind. He left to became a great wizard, and then failed at that. His parents have a small farm far away, and while Wilem knows he could never fit in with the life there he still missess them.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Nevermore214 posted:

It looks really cool/interesting, but what is your Wyrd stat? I didn't see a place where that was set.

It shifts around as dictated by the Power Of The Wyrd move. I'm still working on the sheets layout and as such don't have a place to record it. But I'll have to keep track of it in my posts.

Effectively it's an additional stat that moves from +0 to +3 (+4 with an advanced move). The higher it is the harder it is to stop the corrupting and warping power getting out, so it's a risk/reward kinda thing. You want the monster to be powerful? Channel as much Wyrd as you can! But the risks increase as you gather more that something awful will happen.

I'll put something together tonight, I'm posting from a tablet so the formatting won't be amazing. But I'll correct that in the days to come.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
Incoming Brute if you'll have me. If no brute, good old fashion Barbarian.

Rory Watchtower, veteran of any war you can name, even that one from two centuries ago. The man is a legend! Did you hear about the north-marches ogres? Of course not, he beat them all in a hell of a fight!

I go where there is sound of battle and glory to be found; and I change the tide of a war. I go where dangerous foes and troves of riches sleep; and I make that my home. I go where the biggest, baddest beasts dwell; and I break their skulls open with fingers. I search for legendary treasure and grand quests and I write my name on the walls of history in blood and ashes. To be the greatest living legend of mankind is the glory I seek, for I'll never die as long as my legend lives on.

The Imperials aren't that bad, they make it legal for me to crack skulls when I go places in their name. It makes fighting blaggards in the street a lot more fun when the army isn't coming to put you in irons. I usually try to go places they don't have influence yet, you see: when the army is around, people get scared to fight. That's not good for my business of breaking bone and splitting men in half like cord wood.

3.) What do you fear?
Fear? I don't often hear that word; I usually just see the look on peoples' faces as I march across a battlefield. If I were afraid to seek out and conquer legendary quests, I'd never be able to immortalize my name in the annuals of history. Am I afraid of being forgotten? No, I don't have time to worry about that existential stuff, just point me in the direction of the meanest cuss and I'll make him remember me.

A wrecking ball of steel and muscles, Rory is a mountain with Herculean appetites, the size of an ogre and the strength to match. Rory is the child of an Imperial soldier, born in the northlands and raised by his mother. The harsh landscape and constant warfare bred him to be a warrior, raised defend to his homestead. There's no tragedy in Rory's past; just that as he grew older, he grew bored. He began to wander and drink of the earth, its many taverns, and its women. The joy of immoral acts was only equaled by the joy of utterly destroying his enemies. Though a seasoned warrior, he never turned dour as the rover lifestyle kept him jovial and his successes in battle kept him hungry. It is his hunger that drives him on, seeking even greater challenges, looking for the next impossible task to overcome.

Should you ever find yourself in a packed tavern with the man, buy him a drink. If a fight breaks out: pick yourself off the floor when you're done counting your teeth and afterwards he'll buy you one. If you stand by his side in battle, rejoice, for even if you die, the cause you fight for will be victorious. If you find yourself on the other side of the battlefield from him, die with dignity. If you feel like you should run when you see him coming, this is natural. Feel free to flee, Rory does love a good chase before he pulls off your legs.

Max HP: 27

Str 18 (+3)
Dex 09 (+0)
Con 15 (+1)
Int 08 (-1)
Wis 12 (+0)
Cha 13 (+1)

Drive: Greed
Amass great riches

Background: Living Legend
You begin with the Renowned move

Hx
  • Aziza has caught your attention on the battlefield. Write Hx+3 for that player.
  • Desiderio shared a emotional drunken argument with you. Write Hx+2 for that player.
  • Write Hx+1 for the others. You're somewhat intimidating.
  • Sammi Hx+1
  • Neram Hx+1

Bonds:
  • I bet I could throw Sia pretty far. Even though she is lightweight, she seems really durable and it sounds like a lot of fun. It'd be like throwing a wolverine into a chicken pen!
  • Vimmen knows a dark secret about me. His god, Bolt, has revealed some of my nature to Vimmen, now he worries I will be loyal only to myself in a time of need.
  • Sia bested me at arm wrestling when I was really drunk and I will never forget the shame. Not even one of the other meat-heads beat me, just this girl. She wants the same things out of life that I do; sounds like I have a rival.
  • Now that Luca is back on the scene, I'm sure he will pull us into his unnecessary schemes. I want to be a living legend, not a notorious villain. The old man has some overarching goal that I don't know yet; he'd just better not get in my way.
  • I hate babysitting, but the enemy wants Sammi, to eat or something, and thats good enough reason to keep an eye on her. Since these things can apparently smell her, keeping her guarded is the best way to keep her safe, but I seriously doubt the ability of Sia or I to remain focused long enough to be good guardians.

Resolved:
  • Sammi would make a tasty snack. Or at least a toothpick, this girl is so tiny. If it weren't for the weird pile of laundry following her around, I'd be worried I'd step on her.
  • Rags looks like a goblin. Or is it Sammi? I can't tell the two of them apart, they're both covered in filth and dirty rags. I guess thats where this thing gets its name, but I wonder what it looks like underneath.
  • Rags has been hiding things, more so than people (if he is a person) normally do. How much can I really trust him? Luca sure knows a lot about Lord Akumu, maybe he and I can expose the monster and find out what it really wants.

Starting Moves:
Armed and Dangerous
Juggernaut (Str)
Is That All You've Got? (Con)
Showboat (Str)
Leap (Str)
*Renowned

Advanced Moves:
Gigantic
Hurl

Gear: 5/15
Fists (Blunt, Hand)
Greatsword (Reach, Two-handed, 2 weight)
Armour of Remembrance (1 Armor, 1 weight, 1 charge)
Magicproof Mitts (hand, 0 weight)
Sheep carcass (6 dungeon rations, 1 Weight)
Adventuring Gear (5 Uses, 1 Weight)
Broken helm (0 Weight)
Fire Marble
Red fungus powder (3 2 uses, 0 weight)
First Aid Supplies (2 uses, slow)
Bag of 40 coins

quote:

Magicproof Mitts
When you grasp a magical effect in your fingers roll+CON
On 10+ you suffer no ill effects. On 7+ you pick up the spell and can use it as a weapon until you let go of it. It has the tags reach, awkward and one of your choosing that's related to the nature of the spell.

quote:

Red fungus powder (3 uses, 0 weight)
When you inhale red fungus powder, your senses elevate, your mind clouds, and you fly into a rage. While in your drug induced rage, you ignore pain and debilities and become immune to fear, mind control, and manipulation; then Roll +Wis to resist the mind altering effects. On 7+, you remain largely lucid, but often go overboard, destroying more than intended or leaving no survivors. On a 10+ your heightened senses allow you to focus control over the rage, take +2 ongoing to damage until the drug wears off.

quote:

Follower:
Sally Fir
Voice 3/3 Loyalty: 3 Cost: Fame and Glory
A bard changed by a contract with the Deinophim. She holds power over sound.
Sally can recover one point of Voice by resting a moment after a fight, she'll recover all of her Voice when she can rest without hurry.

Sentry- When Sally shields you from an attack you increase your armor against that attack by her Voice, then reduce her Voice by 1.

Intervene- When Sally helps you defy danger you may opt to take +1 from their aid. If you do you cannot get a 10+ result, a 10+ instead counts as a 7–9.

Barrier- When Sally has a moment to sing safely, and Voice more than zero, you can have her create a protective dome of sound. Reduce her Voice by 1 when she does so. The dome lasts as long as she's singing. The barrier is not unbreakable but will at least slow down even the strongest of corporeal foes.

A Hero’s Welcome- When you enter a place of food, drink, or entertainment with Sally you will be treated as a friend by everyone present (unless your actions prove otherwise).

Teonis fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 9, 2016

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013
Gustav Waltersson

Gustav was born a bastard son of a small-time merchant in the capital of the Empire. As soon as he could, he left his family to become a ship's boy aboard the HMS Dauntless, and was not missed. He would spend the better part of his life at sea, rising up the ranks to become a petty officer. He was shitcanned after the disastrous Battle of the Silent Sound, where his men's falling asleep on watch allowed Hobart's fleet to close with and maul the Imperial squadron. Sent to the Codcliffe Squadron, where the sailors openly cooperated with smugglers, Gustav fell in with the wrong crowd and became a smuggler himself.

What do you search for?
It's been about the money ever since Gustav went to Codcliffe; an officer's salary is still a pittance. A valuable cargo was smashed against the Codcliffe Heights during the storm, and no search parties have been sent out yet. If Gustav can find it, he's a made man.

Do you support the Imperials? Why or why not?
Gustav is nominally the captain of an Imperial sloop, albeit a disgraced one, and the sloop's been destroyed in harbor. He is more scared of the Imperial delegation than anything else, frightened that the large smuggling operations will be found out. Gustav will cooperate with the Imperials, hoping to get them out quickly so business can continue.

What do you fear?
Gustav is a coward, more of a Milo Minderbinder than a warrior. He abandoned his post at the Battle of the Silent Sound as the pirates boarded his ship, and is only going on the expedition because he's more afraid of his fellow smugglers than the "octopus folk", if they even exist.

Health: 6/6

Stats
STR: 9 // +0
DEX: 16 // +2
CON: 12 // +0
INT: 15 // +1
WIS: 8 // -1
CHA: 13 // +1

Alignment: Neutral
Race: Human
Look: Shifty eyes, messy hair, common clothes, knobby body

Bonds
I stole something from ________.
________ has my back.
________ knows incriminating details about me.
________ and I have a con running.

Moves
Trap Expert
Tricks of the Trade
Backstab
Flexible Morals
Poisoner (Serpent's Tears)

Gear
Load: 5 out of 9
- Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
- Leather armor (1 armor, 1 weight)
- 3 uses of Serpent's Tears
- 10 coins
- Dagger (hand, 1 weight)
- Short sword (close, 1 weight)
- 3 throwing daggers (thrown, near, 0 weight)
- Adventuring gear (1 weight)

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Nevermore214 posted:

Miller, where do the Karkanaks come from, and what did they want? Does anyone even know?

As far as I know they want the systematic slaughter of humanity, but no one really believes me. They'll come for the rest of you someday, I know it. As far as tracking them my attempts brought me a little past the dropoff before going dry.

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Teonis posted:

Incoming Brute if you'll have me. If no brute, good old fashion Barbarian.

Rory Watchtower, veteran of any war you can name, even that one from two centuries ago. The man is a legend! Did you hear about the north-marches ogres? Of course not, he beat them all in a hell of a fight!

Looks good; Gimme the full playbook.

Arashiofordo3 posted:

It shifts around as dictated by the Power Of The Wyrd move. I'm still working on the sheets layout and as such don't have a place to record it. But I'll have to keep track of it in my posts.

Effectively it's an additional stat that moves from +0 to +3 (+4 with an advanced move). The higher it is the harder it is to stop the corrupting and warping power getting out, so it's a risk/reward kinda thing. You want the monster to be powerful? Channel as much Wyrd as you can! But the risks increase as you gather more that something awful will happen.

I'll put something together tonight, I'm posting from a tablet so the formatting won't be amazing. But I'll correct that in the days to come.
Okay. I approve then.

----

Rory, you are known by the Captain-Senator for your ability to break things, but has there ever been something you couldn't break when you tried?

Gustav, knowing that Hobart and his corsairs are free on your island, do you have any kind of grudge to settle?

----

Wow. That's a lot of applications!

I'm going to cut recruitment, then -- you have until midnight tonight US Central to get your playbook in (roughly 6 hours from time of this post).

I think I'll also bump up the number of players for the thread to 9. Ya'll are awesome, and I think 9 is the absolute max I could handle at this point.

Nevermore214 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 12, 2014

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi Cubrick

A timid young woman in her late teens or early twenties. Sammi has learned the hard way that people can be cruel and awful monsters. Born to a wealthy merchant family in a busy trade city, itwasn't until her father was accused of bribery and treason that she was to experience any true hardship. The evidence, though falsified and planted was irrefutable to the lawmakers. They were stripped of their belongings and positions. Sammi's father was put to death, she never learned what became of her mother. As to her own fate, she was 'adopted' by her fathers rival and made to work as little more than a slave. Even now she still bares the scars from his cruel hand.

It was during this time that she met the Monster. It called itself Rags, a strange creature who's body seemed to be made from endless strips of cloth. Yet no flame could burn them, its form shifted almost at will, unravelling and weaving itself into any form it desired. Whatever it weaved itself into, it became indistinguishable from the real thing. It seemed almost human. With Rags by her side Sammi made her escape and has been running ever since. She has grown to hate the empire for what they let happen to her family, all the while growing closer and closer to Rags. They make a strange pair

Sammi wants the family that she feels was stolen from her by the corruption of the Empire. Ether her own, or a new one willing to accept her completely. She has found some of this in Rags. But a darkness still wells up inside of her. A darkness that could only be cured by the love of another.

Having destroyed her family and hunted her as an escaped slave, Sammi holds no love for her homeland. She is not stupid enough to challenge them directly. But she is far from being a happy citizen.

3.) What do you fear?

Discovery. Sammi's bond with Rags marks her as something not entirely natural. Manly would think little of it, but the Empire is known for it's zealots. The times the power of the Wyrd can get out of control are hardly subtle ether. It would not take much for some small minded fool to declare her an abomination and reach for their pitchforks...

quote:

Name: Sammi Cubrick
Monster name: Rags
Look: pleasant eyes, simple hair, casual clothes, thin body

EXP: /10
Damage: d4
Armour:
HP: 23

Drive: For the Towers - act for the greater good at cost to yourself
Monster origin: Wyrd Warped - gain access to the Wyrd Warped list of monster traits, reduce damage die from the Power Of The Wyrd move to d4

SRT: -1 (8)
DEX: +1 (13)
CON: +2 (16)
INT: +2 (17)
WIS: +0 (9)
CHA: +0 (12)

Starting moves

My Closest Friend
Begin play with a Monster companion. By default your Monster is roughly person size and deals 1d6 damage. Your Monster begins play with six points of monster traits, additionally you gain access to the list associated with your Monster origin. Describe your Monsters look and personality and give it a name. Lastly you can make bonds with your Monster (monster description further down)

Quick! Hide!
When you hide your Monster from normal people, NPCs are unable to see your Monster no matter how hard they look for them. Describe how and where your Monster hides. Additionally, pick one:
- your Monster is ready to spring into action at a moments notice
- Your monster can terrify people when it jumps out of hiding
- Your Monster is so good at hiding, that it hides you as well! Moving will break you from your hiding spot.
- Your Monster can hide a single object with it.

Do A Thing!
When you issue a comand to your monster, roll +Wyrd. On a 10+ the monster completes the task without issue. On a 7-9 the monster complies to the best of its abilities but pick one.
- They Wyrd pours into your body. Gain 1 Wyrd and roll corruption.
- the Monsters actions cause unintended side effects
- The Monster draws unwanted attention to yourself
- the Monster needs to be coxed into action, mark one use from your object of desire.

Power Of The Wyrd
You start with 0 Wyrd and may hold a maximum of 3 Wyrd. When you channel the corrupting power of the Wyrd to your Monster gain 1 Wyrd and then roll +Wyrd. On a 10+ the GM picks two, on a 7-9 the GM picks 1.
- you grow a horrific and obvious mutation, it persists until the next time you Nutralize the Wyrd
- Corruption wrecks your body, take +Wyrd d4 damage
- the burst of power twists and warps the environment around you in horrific ways
- The Wyrd calls unwanted attention towards you
- your monster is injured, take -1 to Do A Thing! rolls until you take a short rest

When your Monster neutralises the corrupting power of the Wyrd, reduce Wyrd to 0 and and pick 1:
- you feel refreshed! Heal #d4 health, where'#' is equal to the Wyrd neutralised
- you feel energised! Take +1 going forward for the next number of rolls equal to Wyrd neutralised
- you feel brave! You are filled with courage for a short time
- you feel your bond with your Monster grow closer! Gain 1 Wyrd without rolling for corruption.

Gear, max load = 14

An Obsidian Knife (hand, +1 damage, 1 weight)
A small knife (hand, 1 weight)
An object of desire (3 uses, 1 weight) - biscuits and other confections. (When you make camp, restore Object of Desires uses)
A small bow (near, 2 weight) and some ammo (2 uses, 1 weight)
A small momento from your Monster (0 weight) (a small doll Rags gave to Sammi on their first meeting)
Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1weight)
More objects of desire (+1 use, +1 weight)
The pouch of Endless Scrap (0 Weight)

Monster section

Look: Rags appears as many things, though his true form is a creature woven from thousands of strips of fabric that lash like tendrils at anything which threatens him. For the most part he takes on a Human appearance, hiding in plain sight and protecting Sammi from harm.

Personality: Caring, if a little detached, he seems devoted to Sammi. Though also seems to delight in teasing her. They seem close and can often be found in each other's arms. Both for appearance sake, but also for the same reasons anyone hugs another. To others it depends on Sammi's relationship with them. To threats he is a murdorous, unstoppable force. Tearing his foes asunder with inhuman speed and ever changing forms.

Traits: Brawler, Wicked fast, Shifter, Murderious
- damage die set to d8
- shape changing
- supernatural speed
- add additional tags to attacks (close, forceful, messy)

Bonds

Sia Knows my secrets and have kept them secret from people! I don't know why, but she's always looking out for me. I never thought anyone but Rags would do that. Maybe she's not as scary as I thought she was.

Luca is a strange one, I'm not entirely sure I trust him yet. At least until I can confirm that he's on my side. Rags seems to know who he is, but he's not really sharing. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Rags and me are really good friends. From pretending he's my h-h-husband to ward away men's advances to finding food and shelter for the night and becoming the softest bed I've ever slept in. There's no one else I'd rather have besides me.

Rags has saved my life and I owe them one. He's the closest thing I have to family and he's never let me down. Someday I'll work out a way to repay him for all of his kindness.

I want Icarus to be proud of me, I'll become an inventor, just like him! I don't know why he disappeared, and I can't stop feeling guilty about it and missing him. But when I find him again, I'll be an inventor he could be proud of.

---

I will add more later, once I've got the internet hooked up on my PC and I can add the play book moves and an image. or maybe not given I've only got six hours. I'll do what I can to post as much as possible with what I've got, but some things will only be doable after the time limit has elapsed (the pictures).

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 2, 2015

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Arashiofordo3 posted:

I will add more later, once I've got the internet hooked up on my PC and I can add the play book moves and an image.
I look forward to it.

Sammi Cubrick, slaves are the lowest of the low, and treated as such. What did you hate most about your former master?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
wow, looks like Rory, Sammi, and Sia could be really good friends.

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
No worries. Do what you can. I don't need pictures.

But this is clearly something I didn't think through all the way when I set up that time limit.

Midnight CST is when I normally call it a night, but instead I guess it'd be fine if I set it after I wake up instead.

10 AM CST. Roughly 16 hours. Sorry to jerk you guys around with that time, but 10 AM US Central is the final "deadline". I hope it helps some of you.

Edit: Nevermind! Not a doublepost.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Nevermore214 posted:

Rory, you are known by the Captain-Senator for your ability to break things, but has there ever been something you couldn't break when you tried?

The Captain-Senator has personally seen me go through a stone-brick wall, and I wasn't even trying to knock it down. I invent new ways to break things in my sleep, and look out, I sleep-walk! If the day ever came where I meet something I can't break, throw, or topple I'd use it to build a mighty throne from which I can turnaround and view the destruction from the days before this one.

Come to think of it, there was once this spell-weaver who boasted that his staff was unbreakable, the ultimate defense. I'll admit the old stick stood up pretty well when I used it to break the codger's legs.

Error 404 posted:

wow, looks like Rory, Sammi, and Sia could be really good friends.

Yeah, but Rory is likely a rake, so the gals will literally have to beat back his advances.

PS: full playbook is up, did you want me to type out all of the moves as well?

Teonis fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 12, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Teonis posted:

Yeah, but Rory is likely a rake, so the gals will literally have to beat back his advances.

You'll definitely be able to throw me at enemies too!

Edit: exactly! vv

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 12, 2014

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Edit: sorry, this is probably spam. I think it seems relevant.

Teonis fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 12, 2014

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Teonis posted:

PS: full playbook is up, did you want me to type out all of the moves as well?

Nah. You're fine.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Right I typed up the play book. (I regret making it so wordy! :v: )

Nevermore214 posted:

Sammi Cubrick, slaves are the lowest of the low, and treated as such. What did you hate most about your former master?

P-Please don't a-ask me that-! I-I d-don't want to r-remember...! :(

O-Oh gods.... :cry:

I-I could never decide which was w-worse... The times h-he would cut me, beat me, burn me for h-his a-amusement... Or t-the times he would h-h-humiliate and degrade me... H-He loved reminding me that h-h-he was the o-one who did it! He would l-leave me broken and crying in the d-darkness, so cold and alone, I...I-I wanted to die, I wanted to die so much, but he would a-always have me nursed back to health so he could start over.

But then Rags came, like a light in the blackness. He wrapped me in himself and gave m-me the strength I needed to run and escape. I don't think I could ever face that B-Bastard again, e-even with Rags... S-Some scars run too d-deep.

N-Now if you excuse me I-I'm going over here with Rags and g-getting hugs until the pain goes away.... I-I might be some time.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 12, 2014

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013

Nevermore214 posted:

Gustav, knowing that Hobart and his corsairs are free on your island, do you have any kind of grudge to settle?

Those bastards gave no quarter to my boys at the Sound. I say we give them none, too. If the good Senator weren't wanting them whole, I'd get the town together and show those scum the Emperor's justice at the gallows. There was this one big nasty brute in particular, I think he was one of Hobart's lieutenants, who personally slit the throats of our captain and three of my watchmen. If he's there, he'll be a dead man. Mark my words.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Nevermore214 posted:

Erik, uneventful journeys bring little honor to Kallak Bor (blessed be his hammer). Have you ever even been in a battle?

Not a proper battle. Not the sort that proves the mettle of a man or confirms him in the eyes of the god. Of course every novice is put through training, including live combat exercises, but the starved, feral villagers and such that they use are no true threat. I can only conclude that I have somehow angered Kallak Bor, and he sends this...peace...to test my will.

Chaos Triangle
Dec 9, 2007
DO NOT TRUST
Making a Slayer, if that's cool.

quote:

Name: Cormac an-Harran, the Slayer
Look: Dark eyes, braided hair, scarred body, worn clothes
Drive: Protect the innocent (Destroy a threat to civilization for the sake of others)
Background: Training (You are mere flesh and blood, but your skill is unmatched. Whenever you use Monster Hunter, hold 1 additional Readiness.)

STR 15 (+1)
DEX 12 (0)
CON 9 (0)
INT 16 (+2)
WIS 13 (+1)
CHA 8 (-1)

Damage: d10
HP: 17/17
Load: 7/11 (10 + STR)

MOVES:
Monster Hunter
When you spend downtime researching or preparing against one particular kind of enemy, roll +INT. On 10+, hold 3 Readiness against that enemy. On 7-9, hold 2. On 6-1, hold 1, in addition to whatever the GM says.

When engaged in battle, you may spend Readiness 1-for-1 on the following:
-Maim it (e.g. sever a limb, shatter a bone, slash an artery)
-Take something important from it (e.g. a weapon, an item, a position)
-Predict its movements- take the 10+ result when Defying Danger

Bestiary Knowledge
You are learned about monsters and how to fight them. You take +1 to Spout Lore about dangerous creatures. When you first encounter a monster, you may ask the GM "how can this be killed?" and they will answer honestly or ask you to answer.

Tools of the Trade
You carry an arsenal of specialist monster-hunting tools- silver bolts, wooden stakes, lamp oil, and so on. When you rummage through your arsenal for the right weapon, roll +INT. On a 10+, you have just the thing. On a 7-9, choose one:
-You only have something similar.
-You packed just the thing, but spend 1 Readiness.

Grisly Trophy
When you slay a dangerous creature, you may impart some of its power into a trophy (1-weight)- a horn, a claw, a skull, or some other body part. For every trophy you take, the GM will give you an appropriate nonmagical move related to the monster's move list. As long as you wear the trophy on your person, you may perform that move, though you may have to Defy Danger to do so.

Monstrum
You can always find trouble wherever you go, or maybe it follows you. When you enter a settlement for the first time, the GM will tell you what danger the locals fear most, or at least what the rumors and stories say.

INVENTORY:
-Studded leather (1-armor, 1-weight)
-Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1-weight)
-Arsenal (2-weight)
-Bastard sword (close, +1 damage, 1-weight)
-Crossbow (near, far, reload, 2-weight) and quarrels (3 ammo)
-Rope dart (reach, precise)

BONDS
With Icarus at my back, we can take on anything. Monster hunting is all about having the right tool for the job, and he does make some impressive toys...

Vimmen thinks he knows true danger. We'll see. I don't like zealots. Divine intervention is nice, but only fools and the desperate depend on it.

Something is stalking Miller. I must protect him. No idea what, yet. Doesn't fit the pattern of anything I've killed before. That in itself is disquieting...

Sammi must be careful, lest she become a monster. She tries to hide that... Rag-thing, whatever it is, but not as well as she thinks. I've pretended not to notice- it seems harmless, so far. I hope I'm right.

I was a soldier, once. For the Empire, you know. Sergeant. Was pretty good at it, too- I wasn't the fastest or strongest but I knew how to dictate the terms of battle, which is more important than most realize. I'm not any more, though. My resignation was... Complicated. Turned out one of my superior officers had been covering up a local den of vampires preying on the people we were supposed to protect in exchange for bribes. I... may have lost my cool and ended up killing him, is the short of it. The Empire wasn't happy about that, as you can imagine- thankfully, I'd had the foresight to gather evidence proving his guilt. The Administratum was considerate; they understood my position, but at the same time couldn't allow a precedent to be set for murdering one's superiors. So I was discharged quietly. Played hell with my marriage, I'll tell you. These days I'm what you might call a hunter. I root out things that are too dangerous or wily or remote for the Imperials to bother with, and they pay me bounties- though truth be told, I'd probably do it for free. Dangerous work, yes, but hell, someone's got to do it.

Closure, whatever that means. I'm not a young man any more, you know- I can't keep this up forever. It'd be nice to retire, maybe see my daughters again. I can't, though. Not yet. Not while there's still so much left to do.

That's... difficult to say. They're human. There are good Imperials- my wife, for one. Then there are bad ones. I believe that they're better than nothing, on the whole, but I know better than to throw my support blindly. A scumbag is a scumbag, no matter whose colors they wear.

3.) What do you fear?
There's a saying, in this line of work: fight monsters long enough and you become one. More than anything else, I'm afraid of that- either losing sight of why I do this, or worse, becoming one of the very things I hunt.

Chaos Triangle fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 15, 2014

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
Looks good.

Cormac, does the Captain-Senator's role in your discharge affect you at all?

EDIT: It just occurred to me that I never stated how we'll be doing dice rolls.

Anyone object to Orokos.com ?
My format can be found here as a test: http://orokos.com/roll/200694.

What I'd like for it to be in your posts is as such: [4] <Link>

If you're unsure on what you should be rolling, or you would like me to roll, or if I notice you needed to roll somewhere and didn't, I can (and will) roll for you.

Nevermore214 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 13, 2014

Chaos Triangle
Dec 9, 2007
DO NOT TRUST

Nevermore214 posted:

Cormac, does the Captain-Senator's role in your discharge affect you at all?

A little. Mainly I've been uneasy. I was surprised when they came aboard, and not pleasantly- I hadn't expected to ever see him again. The Captain-Senator and I... Well, let's say we don't see eye to eye on certain things. He was one of the reasons I was discharged instead of granted a pardon, y'see. Felt it'd 'reflect badly' if I weren't punished, the officious bastard. I don't hold a grudge, not this long after, but he's too damned concerned with his own position for me to trust him. I'm not saying he's evil, or even stupid, but he'll happily sacrifice anyone if it means he comes out looking good. That sort of person's bad luck, you ask me.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Nevermore214 posted:

EDIT: It just occurred to me that I never stated how we'll be doing dice rolls.

Anyone object to Orokos.com ?
My format can be found here as a test: http://orokos.com/roll/200694.

What I'd like for it to be in your posts is as such: [4] <Link>

If you're unsure on what you should be rolling, or you would like me to roll, or if I notice you needed to roll somewhere and didn't, I can (and will) roll for you.

I'm totally ok with Orokos.

Edit: So you want us to post rolls like this: 8 right?

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Works for me too.

• Locked thread