Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Marvel Unlimited is the cool-as-hell service that is exactly what it sounds like -- your subscription gets you huge swaths of the Marvel back catalog and, with very few exceptions, all the comics that were fresh and new about six months ago. Every Monday, the new comics go up. usually about a dozen that came out together that long ago, and most weeks at least some older comics get released. All this for only $69 a year (or $9.99 a month, if you feel like binging) makes it an incredible deal, but, of course, there are some downsides.

The first downside is that the comics are streamed. You can download up to 6 at a time to an app, but if you're going to be off-net for more than a few hours, it's a problem.

The second downside is the worst: the interface is lovely, lovely, lovely. Browse by character is spotty at best (Carol Danvers vs. Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) vs. no entry for Ms. Marvel or Binary at all -- and note the total absence of the Brood arc in Uncanny X-Men in the page with actual entries!), some issues are completely bugged, the web interface has no sequential reading mode, and on and on. The recent update to the iOS app improved quality of life enormously (supposedly the Android app was also improved but I can't vouch for that), but there's still a long way to go. To give an example, I've been trying to reread the X-Men run that got me into comics. Try navigating to UXM #143 (that is literally the first X-Men comic I ever read, from a box at camp in the summer of 1991, and I have a completely irrational attachment to it) in any sane or rational way via the web interface and you'll see what I mean.

The third downside is why we have this thread: everyone else is six months ahead of us. Talk about the current and recent releases on Marvel Unlimited here, instead of trying to keep yourself exactly synced in other discussion threads to new comics days half a year past. Talk about the weekly reading club, if it's good (this week certainly is, Grant Morrison's Marvel Boy). Also, recommend classic runs. Or gripe about missing classic runs (Sensational She-Hulk!).

Thread Suggestions:
  • Try and keep the spoilers to a minimum. Obviously, it's impossible to be completely unspoiled unless you avoid all comics sites, but try and keep in-depth discussion of events that aren't in unlimited yet out of this thread.
  • For everyone's convenience, try and give a link to any non-recent comic you bring up or recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

As a complement to the Marvel Unlimited index, I used to use the Unofficial Handbook of Marvel Comics Creators site. It also has a few oversights, and the interface is ugly and odd, but it has a ton of information that you can access quickly on a PC. The biggest problem for Marvel Unlimited PC users is that it links to the old Flash interface for MU issues, and nowadays the HTML interface is the better of the two options (still bad though).

Also, right now you can use the code ODIN14 to get one month of access at 50% off. The regular price is $10 per month or $69 per year.

Baby Proof fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 17, 2014

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I love Unlimited and am saving so much money (and space). I used to spend about $100/month on singles.

I'm currently caught up and waiting for the latest issues of: Daredevil, Avengers, New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Hawkeye, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Thor: God of Thunder. Other than that, I'm just catching up on old runs I've missed. What other current (6 months behind) series should I be reading?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

sleepingbuddha posted:

I love Unlimited and am saving so much money (and space). I used to spend about $100/month on singles.

I'm currently caught up and waiting for the latest issues of: Daredevil, Avengers, New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Hawkeye, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Thor: God of Thunder. Other than that, I'm just catching up on old runs I've missed. What other current (6 months behind) series should I be reading?
Superior Foes of Spider-Man and Avengers Assemble Issues 9+ are both really good that you might have missed. If you missed Venom and Scarlet Spider those are both really great pick-ups too, but both have ended.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
This is a cool list of good runs that are available on Unlimited.
http://www.comicbookherald.com/best-comics-on-marvel-digital-unlimited/

I don't want to steal the Recommendations thread's thunder but should we include some more required reading on Unlimited?
I would say everyone needs to read Ultimate Spider-Man start to finish. It's so good.

EDIT: I think it's worth mentioning that you won't find any MAX stuff on MU. Not sure why they don't release that stuff digitally but there ya go.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 15, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I understand, somewhat, no MAX on Unlimited, as there could be younger readers using the service. But have they answered why they don't sell any of that stuff digitally? It's the one jump on them that DC seems to have. They're not afraid of Vertigo having a digital presence.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I understand, somewhat, no MAX on Unlimited, as there could be younger readers using the service. But have they answered why they don't sell any of that stuff digitally? It's the one jump on them that DC seems to have. They're not afraid of Vertigo having a digital presence.

They are selling it digitally, just not through their own store, and only then a limited selection (no Alias, for instance). They started publishing Punisher MAX on Comixology last year. I know Fury MAX is up there too. They haven't marketed it at all, though, and I don't think any of it has gone on sale either.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 16, 2014

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I started out really liking FF and Fantastic Four, but the whole annihilating combo-action kung-fu grip Doom is just boring me to tears. Side gags in FF almost make it worth and at least the end is in sight.

Sort of an in-between week in xbooks. Squidsy and her brother recapping all the students and their DEEP DARK SECRETS (Broo! No!), a fun shopping trip in UXM (with a totally pointless inhumanity tie-in). Just seems like a set-up week all around. (Though, for the first time ever I read a comic starting x23 and didn't roll my eyes!)

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Test Pattern posted:

I started out really liking FF and Fantastic Four, but the whole annihilating combo-action kung-fu grip Doom is just boring me to tears. Side gags in FF almost make it worth and at least the end is in sight.

Sort of an in-between week in xbooks. Squidsy and her brother recapping all the students and their DEEP DARK SECRETS (Broo! No!), a fun shopping trip in UXM (with a totally pointless inhumanity tie-in). Just seems like a set-up week all around. (Though, for the first time ever I read a comic starting x23 and didn't roll my eyes!)

Yeah FF is definitely the stronger book in that pair.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

What are the good running books that don't get tied up in the events? I read Hawkeye, Daredevil and FF, but Marvel loses me with having to tie so many of their monthlies in to every event.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Asnorban posted:

What are the good running books that don't get tied up in the events? I read Hawkeye, Daredevil and FF, but Marvel loses me with having to tie so many of their monthlies in to every event.

Pretty much all of the books that tie into events these days do it because they want to. If you don't care about those tie ins just skip them.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Punisher MAX and Fury MAX are on Comixology and nothing else in the line sells worth a drat.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Senor Candle posted:

Pretty much all of the books that tie into events these days do it because they want to. If you don't care about those tie ins just skip them.

Also, a lot of the tie ins are totally pro forma. Take this weeks UXM: yeah, it's an Inhumanity tie-in, but that's not the point. The new model crossover seems to be an event book, two or three titles that tie in tightly, and about half the other books nod in the event's direction. Better than the total line take-overs of fear itself and prior.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Test Pattern posted:

Also, a lot of the tie ins are totally pro forma. Take this weeks UXM: yeah, it's an Inhumanity tie-in, but that's not the point. The new model crossover seems to be an event book, two or three titles that tie in tightly, and about half the other books nod in the event's direction. Better than the total line take-overs of fear itself and prior.

Asking as someone who only reads Marvel books through Unlimited, is there a simple way to keep track of what's happening with events (and what books I need/don't need to read to stay somewhat current)?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unlimited actually does a pretty decent job of putting together all bannered books in an event. Just browse under the "Events" tab.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Test Pattern posted:

I really liked the UXM that went up this week. :nyoron: I know a lot of this board HATES BENDIS, but I thought this issue was really cute and I liked the team bonding shenanigans. Though as someone who knows nothing about the Inhumans/Inhumanity event, that bit annoyed me. Especially since I doubt that dude's ever going to turn up again, and it just ain't gonna matter at all.

I'm getting really annoyed with the bugginess on older issues. I love me some guided view, but so many panels get chopped off on my phone. Or you'll end up with panels where all the text is replaced by &&&&&&&&&&& symbols. Or parts of ... I think it was Marvels Project that had some text boxes completely blacked out and empty. That was pretty nice.

I end up switching between guided and single page a lot more than I'd like just because of panels getting skipped or cut off. Such bullshit, but it's still a good way to catch up on all this poo poo I've never read before.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I really liked the UXM that went up this week. :nyoron: I know a lot of this board HATES BENDIS, but I thought this issue was really cute and I liked the team bonding shenanigans. Though as someone who knows nothing about the Inhumans/Inhumanity event, that bit annoyed me. Especially since I doubt that dude's ever going to turn up again, and it just ain't gonna matter at all.

I'm getting really annoyed with the bugginess on older issues. I love me some guided view, but so many panels get chopped off on my phone. Or you'll end up with panels where all the text is replaced by &&&&&&&&&&& symbols. Or parts of ... I think it was Marvels Project that had some text boxes completely blacked out and empty. That was pretty nice.

I end up switching between guided and single page a lot more than I'd like just because of panels getting skipped or cut off. Such bullshit, but it's still a good way to catch up on all this poo poo I've never read before.

You should send in support emails when you find those issues. They do actually go in and fix that stuff when they can. Guided view is also usually pretty crappy on pre digital stuff because I imagine it was just some intern frantically blocking out dozens of issues a week just to keep up with how fast they were putting them out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never read an issue in guided view that didn't skip a panel or block out some text at least once. I read in single page mode vertically on my iPad. I wish there was a way to do one page horizontally that didn't put two pages on the screen so that 2 page spreads were easier to read. I'm okay with scrolling up and down for single pages.

Also, they advertise the "AR" issues but anytime I've ever tried to load up one of the enhanced features it hard crashes the app :shrug:

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
So we're into second-stage NOW, now. Cataclysm seems like the same issue over and over and over again, though. We also got LEXUS PRESENTS AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. IN THE CHASE which was bad, even for an advercomic.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Test Pattern posted:

So we're into second-stage NOW, now. Cataclysm seems like the same issue over and over and over again, though. We also got LEXUS PRESENTS AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. IN THE CHASE which was bad, even for an advercomic.

Speaking of, what are the best NOW comics to jump on?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Black Widow #1 came on Ultimate this week, which has Phil Noto's beautiful art.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

If anyone else here likes guided view on the iphone I suggest not updating. Unless you updated already in which case it sucks to be you.

It's doing a thing where rotating the device makes it jump back to the issue's cover, and then attempts to swipe to the next page make it crash.

I'm submitting a bug report, obviously, but I figured a heads up was in order. (Unless it's just me, but this is MU we're talking about.)

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

I noticed it jumping back to the cover when turning guided view on and off. I thought that was a new bug.

I also noticed they put up Original Sin #5 this morning, which is pretty new. I guess someone probably screwed up.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Yeah, Legendary Star Lord #1 and Rocket Raccoon #1 are both up there currently as well as Original Sin #5. All of those came out yesterday, so read 'em while the readin's hot. I assume Marvel will take them down, but maybe not! Who knows!

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I subscribed to Unlimited back in the winter and then all of the sudden the Android app wouldn't load anything. Can anyone comment on the state of the current Android tablet app?

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

Cithen posted:

I subscribed to Unlimited back in the winter and then all of the sudden the Android app wouldn't load anything. Can anyone comment on the state of the current Android tablet app?

It works, but it crashes probably every other book I read.

Is there a good way to read series on Unlimited? It seems like a minor, but silly, pain in the rear end to have to queue each issue to my library, then remove when I'm done... if there was a way to actually just keep track of where I was and follow series instead of issues, I'd probably be more inclined to pay beyond the $0.99 trial, but as it is, yikes.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Cithen posted:

It recently got a lot better. It updated to 2.0 and fixed a lot of the issues, and the latest update fixed a bunch of the crashes for me. Still not perfect, but way better than it used to be.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

I haven't been using it much in the last month, but I think they've been having more issues with the increased user base due to the 99 cent sale. Hopefully they will get it sorted soon. I agree that it really needs a way to remember the last issue of a series you read. When I stop reading, I just add the next book to my library.

It still beats paying full price for books.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Faustoan Bargain posted:

It works, but it crashes probably every other book I read.

Is there a good way to read series on Unlimited? It seems like a minor, but silly, pain in the rear end to have to queue each issue to my library, then remove when I'm done... if there was a way to actually just keep track of where I was and follow series instead of issues, I'd probably be more inclined to pay beyond the $0.99 trial, but as it is, yikes.

The apps actually add a "next issue" link at the end of the comic. But no, your best bet for saving your spot in a run is adding it to the library and picking up there next time.

They've improved a lot (they fixed Loki #1 in LESS THAN A WEEK (GASP!)), but we really need some kind of curation tools.

lordofthefries
Dec 8, 2011

sleepingbuddha posted:

I haven't been using it much in the last month, but I think they've been having more issues with the increased user base due to the 99 cent sale. Hopefully they will get it sorted soon. I agree that it really needs a way to remember the last issue of a series you read. When I stop reading, I just add the next book to my library.

It still beats paying full price for books.

I'd be more interested in them actually making the apps work better. After reading a dozen or so books, the whole thing seems to fall apart for a while. I can open some stuff I've read, but I can't open anything new.

That said, it does beat paying full price. And not having to worry about storage. And being able to skip to random books that are tangentially related to the book you're reading. I've easily read the cost of subscription in less than a month.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
So the 99 cents thing is over, right? I can't find it as a subscription option on the Unlimited site.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Unmature posted:

So the 99 cents thing is over, right? I can't find it as a subscription option on the Unlimited site.
Was only for a week almost a month ago as a Comicon deal.

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

Just throwing this comment out there as a warning to anyone considering signing up for Marvel Unlimited. Ever since the promotion at SDCC, I have had to contact the company that provides the service for Marvel Unlimited to pursue a refund for the two accounts I cancelled before the month subscription re-enrolled back in August. In each month that I have contacted them I have been assured that the accounts are now cancelled, only to see the charges show up again the following month. This is now the third time that I have had to pursue getting two $9.99 charges refunded.

Maybe my experience is unique, but at this point I would actively discourage anyone from using this service and most especially providing their credit card information to them.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Ebenezer posted:

Just throwing this comment out there as a warning to anyone considering signing up for Marvel Unlimited. Ever since the promotion at SDCC, I have had to contact the company that provides the service for Marvel Unlimited to pursue a refund for the two accounts I cancelled before the month subscription re-enrolled back in August. In each month that I have contacted them I have been assured that the accounts are now cancelled, only to see the charges show up again the following month. This is now the third time that I have had to pursue getting two $9.99 charges refunded.

Maybe my experience is unique, but at this point I would actively discourage anyone from using this service and most especially providing their credit card information to them.

I, uh ... I have to ask, why did you create multiple accounts for that? You can use the 99 cent promo by canceling and re establishing an existing account. No new account creation required.

Not to say that getting charged repeatedly is cool and it sucks that you had those troubles but yeah.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Ebenezer posted:

Did you contact the social media team? They resolved the problem I had and threw in some free months of Unlimited.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Ebenezer posted:

Unfortunately I've had the same problem in the past. They were pretty quick to give me a refund though.

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I, uh ... I have to ask, why did you create multiple accounts for that? You can use the 99 cent promo by canceling and re establishing an existing account. No new account creation required.

Not to say that getting charged repeatedly is cool and it sucks that you had those troubles but yeah.

One was for me, the other for my son.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I've enjoyed the service for years without issue, ymmv.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

hadji murad posted:

I've enjoyed the service for years without issue, ymmv.

Have you ever tried to cancel it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I've had my subscription run out without problems. Renewed a month later. Never had an issue.

• Locked thread