Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
School teachers, taking them by and large, are probably the most ignorant and stupid class of men in the whole group of mental workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It was morality that burned the books of the ancient sages, and morality that halted the free inquiry of the Golden Age and substituted for it the credulous imbecility of the Age of Faith. It was a fixed moral code and a fixed theology which robbed the human race of a thousand years by wasting them upon alchemy, heretic-burning, witchcraft and sacerdotalism.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Of all escape mechanisms, death is the most efficient.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Truth would quickly cease to be stranger than fiction, once we got as used to it.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Bachelors know more about women than married men. If they didn't they'd be married, too.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
gonna wait for some other wise posters to drop wisdom tidbits to live by for a bit here.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

if u don't love me at my worst, u don't deserve me at my best.
- marilyn manson

exceptionally wise quote from Mr. Manson imo

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The final test of truth is ridicule. Very few dogmas have ever faced it and survived. Huxley laughed the devils out of the Gadarene swine. Not the laws of the United States but the mother-in-law joke brought the Mormons to surrender. Not the horror of it but the absurdity of it killed the doctrine of infant damnation. But the razor edge of ridicule is turned by the tough hide of truth. How loudly the barber-surgeons laughed at Huxley—and how vainly! What clown ever brought down the house like Galileo? Or Columbus? Or Darwin? . . . They are laughing at Nietzsche yet . . .

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
No healthy man, in his secret heart, is content with his destiny. He is tortured by dreams and images as a child is tortured by the thought of a state of existence in which it would live in a candy store and have two stomachs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The bitter, of course, goes with the sweet. To be an American is, unquestionably, to be the noblest, grandest, the proudest mammal that ever hoofed the verdure of God's green footstool. Often, in the black abysm of the night, the thought that I am one awakens me with a blast of trumpets, and I am thrown into a cold sweat by contemplation of the fact. I shall cherish it on the scaffold; it will console me in Hell. But there is no perfection under Heaven, so even an American has his small blemishes, his scarcely discernible weaknesses, his minute traces of vice and depravity.

• Locked thread