Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Randandal posted:

If East Austin is so tired of being poo poo on why doesn't it just secede and form its' own municipality?

Poor parts of the country seceding to rule themselves don't have a good track record of success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
So some people threw a bit of a poo poo-fit about Wendy Davis getting Texas Monthy's Bum Steer award.

Here's the original Texas Monthly announcement of the award..

Here's RH Reality Check going way overboard claiming that giving her the award was sexist and undemocratic.

And Here's Texas Monthly going into more detail on why the gave the award.

Basically Wendy Davis hosed up big time, completely mismanaged her campaign, and set the party back 10 years. She gets called out for how bad she did and the clickbait advocate media decides that they need to leap to her defense despite the fact that it's their side that she let down.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, pretty much everyone I know thinks it was justified. Plus TM so rarely gets to give the Bum Steer to a Democrat.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

e_angst posted:

Wendy Davis hosed up big time, completely mismanaged her campaign, and set the party back 10 years.

The first two parts are true, but she didn't hurt the TDP or set them back at all. That assumes they had progressed at all towards winning races which is false.

She deserves the bum steer still.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

zoux posted:

Yeah, pretty much everyone I know thinks it was justified. Plus TM so rarely gets to give the Bum Steer to a Democrat.

To be fair, Texas Democrats are mostly punch-clock politicians. Show up, don't make too many waves, collect your graft. There's generally not a huge amount of pressure to do or say something incredibly stupid.

Meanwhile, Texas Republicans have to out-do each other's anti-intellectualism or face getting elected out. Which is prime material for Bum Steer awards.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
Well, Dallas is semi-freaking out about their bag ban. So much so that the DFW-based Inside Texas Politics show devoted a huge segment to it.

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/01/04/inside-texas-politics-looking-ahead

Prediction: There won't be any other bag bans in the rest of the Metroplex, so it'll be like the weird wet/dry/damp situation where you'll have to check which block you're on and which city you're in to know if you'll need to bring a bag or not.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2015/01/the_most_harrowing_stories_of_dallasites_affected_by_the_plastic_bag_ban.php

quote:

On January 1 Dallas residents faced a 5-cent charge on grocery bags for the first time. These are their stories.
The Woman Who Wonders What Her Bill Would Have Been Had She Waited
A Kroger customer went shopping on December 28, four days before the law went into effect. She reflected on her fortuitous timing in an interview with NBC. "If I would have come in and it had been in effect, then I would have had to skimp back on my groceries to pay the cost of the bags," she said. Only a cruel God would allow someone to purchase so many groceries that the cost of the 5 cent bags forces them to cut back on their groceries.

The Shoppers Who Held Boxes Without the Help Of A Bag
A Dallas Morning News reporter on the front lines of a Best Buy parking lot reported that "many customers were spotted carrying out large boxes without a bag." Presumably, they had to carry the boxes from the bottom. The DMN reporter then went to a store manager for answers, only to be stone-walled: "A store manager declined to comment without corporate approval."

A New Year's Eve Surprise
When a shopper stepped into a 7-Eleven after midnight on Wednesday, she was surprised to learn of the 5-cent charge for her plastic bag. She reportedly feels "50/50" about it. Half of her cares about the environment but the other half of her likes having something to line her trashcans with. Human beings are complicated creatures.

The Corporation That Cannot Forget
Plastic bags in Dallas now must be emblazoned with their thickness and a store logo. While there has been much confusion with merchants over the specifics of this rule, no one has suffered as much as Kroger, that big national corporate grocery chain. "We've had to produce new signage. We had to order separate bags at our nine city of Dallas stores at an extra expense to Kroger," Kroger's Gary Huddleston told NBC. Huddleston has been talking about this for months. Other consequences facing Kroger include the poors Dumpster-diving for shopping bags. "We've got a real concern with this new ordinance that charges a nickel per paper and plastic bag that customers may go into our [recycle] barrels to take out plastic bags to reuse them," he warned in March.

The Bishop Arts Pet Shop Owner Who Must Buy a Stamp
A local pet shop owner supports the bag fee, but also thinks that he does not have to charge customers five cents for his paper bags. That's because a loophole in the Dallas bag ordinance allows some paper bags to still be given away free-of-charge. His paper bags, made from 100 percent recycled paper, meet that requirement, he says. But the bags themselves don't say that anywhere, "so we're probably going to have to invest in a stamp that indicates that," he tells WFAA. That is fascinating. No, I'm not asleep. Please tell us more.

The Dallas Observer Writer Who Left A 7-Eleven Confused, With Her Hands Full
After a trip to 7-Eleven New Year's Day, I struggled to get out of the car with a pack of candy, a drink and a newspaper in my hand. It was only after I arrived inside and threw the things on a counter that I realized: the cashier never gave me a bag. He never even offered me a bag. What the hell.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Randandal posted:

Dallas posted:

Mah bags :cry:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The best part of the Austin bag ban is that I don't see bags in all the trees, bushes, and streams. It is a huge change.

The second best part is watching people too proud to spend the 25 cents for a reusable bag at HEB try to juggle an arm full of loose goods to their car.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You forgot the third best part: watching good ol' boy "small government", "local decision-making" conservatives run crying to Austin, begging the state to come in and pass a state law to stop cities from passing ordinances about plastic bags that they don't like.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
For god's sake, how hard is it to carry around a few extra bags in your backpack? And if you don't have a backpack, fix that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I get paper bags where ever I shop so it's never an issue. Even Central Market gives you bags.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Shifty Pony posted:

The best part of the Austin bag ban is that I don't see bags in all the trees, bushes, and streams. It is a huge change.

This is really true, and shopping in places that still give out plastic bags now seems barbaric to me. Sounds like people in Dallas are being incredible babies.

Some creep ran for Austin city council (probably won) mostly on an END THE BAG BAN platform, if I recall.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Shifty Pony posted:

The second best part is watching people too proud to spend the 25 cents for a reusable bag at HEB try to juggle an arm full of loose goods to their car.

Considering that Austin is a heavily wooded and incredibly beautiful city, it really is amazing and wonderful to just not have bags stuck in all the bushes.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

zoux posted:

I get paper bags where ever I shop so it's never an issue. Even Central Market gives you bags.

The lack of plastic is a demonstrably good thing and I usually have a bag in the car but I prefer not to pay $1 for a re-usable bag because I had an unplanned shopping trip and the re-usable bags are in the other car. California has it right, let me buy a disposable paper bag for a dime(heck, even a quarter is fine).

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
There's a local election in parts of San Antonio Texas Senate District 26 and House District 123, so if you didn't vote early, you can still go vote, the polls are open until 7 PM.

Voting is anemic as hell elections like these, and with 5 or 6 candidates running in each race, two or three votes could literally make a difference in who the winner is, so go vote!

Election day sites can be found here.

Not quite sure if it's quite kosher, but here's my voting recommendation:

Trey Martinez Fischer for Senate
One of the most liberal/left members in the Texas House. Republicans loving hate him, and have (unofficially via a PAC) dumped a ton of money into a smear campaign against him.

Diego Bernal for the House
Dude who was the force behind San Antonio's non-discrimination ordinance. He is awesome.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 7, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

So can someone explain that Circle C Scruggs race? I don't know poo poo about south Austin politics.

I live in Cedar Park, and voiced my concern about the runoff in District 6 to maybe a dozen people who live within the voting district. None of them voted. Zimmerman really does have pull with the Tea Party crowd, and Flannigan's fancy hammer signs and ridiculous video didn't do anything to sway my lazy, fat, tech-industry friends, though his platform was pretty much built for them.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

fade5 posted:

Trey Martinez Fischer for Senate
One of the most liberal/left members in the Texas House. Republicans loving hate him, and have (unofficially via a PAC) dumped a ton of money into a smear campaign against him.

I saw some of the anti-TMF ads on TV when I was visiting my folks for the holidays. It was basically the most Republican ad ever. "TRIAL LAWYERS!!!! :freep:"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All three specials are going to runoffs, the SD 26 race is going to be between TMF and Jose Menedez, so whoever wins, we also win. Both are fine candidates, though I prefer TMF.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Amusingly also yesterday the 911 truther and "fluoridation is poison" candidate for Austin City Council ponied up the 13.5k deposit required for a recount.

It resulted in her gaining two votes. Her opponent gained three.

So she lost 64.61% to 35.39% instead of 64.62% to 35.38%

She considering filing a lawsuit for... I dunno maybe mole people interference with the election or something?

* Original results: Casar 2851/Pressley 1561
* Recount: Casar 2854/Pressley 1563

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Another year of our state government wasting time loving around with cities and bitching about Austin and California.

Austin Statesman posted:

Declaring that freedom and private property rights should not be bound by city lines, Gov.-elect Greg Abbott on Thursday called for doing away with a “patchwork quilt” of local bans on everything from paper and plastic bags to fracking that he said threatens to turn Texas into California.

“Texas is being Californianized and you may not even be noticing it,” Abbott said, addressing a downtown Austin conference hosted by the conservative Texas Public Policy Foundation, an influential think tank. “It’s being done at the city level with bag bans, fracking bans, tree-cutting bans. We’re forming a patchwork quilt of bans and rules and regulations that is eroding the Texas model.”

“Now think about it,” Abbott said. “Few things are more important in Texas than private property rights, yet some cities are telling districts that you don’t own some of the things of your own property that you have bought and purchased and owned for along time — things like trees.”

“This is a form of collectivism,” said Abbott, who will be inaugurated as governor on Jan. 20. “Some cities claim that trees that are on private property belong to the city, not the private property owner.”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Collectivism? But that's another word for.......COMMUNISM!! BAG BAN IS COMMUNISM!!!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

VitalSigns posted:

Another year of our state government wasting time loving around with cities and bitching about Austin and California.

"We're going to show what small government, hands-off conservatives we are by overriding local governments and forcing them to act against the will of their citizens."

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This doesn't do away with local bans does it? Because that's loving nonsense.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nonsense posted:

This doesn't do away with local bans does it? Because that's loving nonsense.

The plan is to pass a state law (like Oklahoma's law banning municipal minimum wage laws) to overturn local bans.

Because local government is only good until it does something Republicans don't like.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a lot of presession bloviating. If you're following state politics right now, realize that most of the poo poo they say they want to do ain't gonna happen.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Speaking of bag bans, my parents went grocery shopping in Austin the other day and had about half of their reusable bags stolen out of their cart when they weren't looking.

The situation was so bizarre that all I could do was imagine it as a Kelly cartoon.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Speaking of bag bans, my parents went grocery shopping in Austin the other day and had about half of their reusable bags stolen out of their cart when they weren't looking.

The situation was so bizarre that all I could do was imagine it as a Kelly cartoon.

Liberalism spawns new-crime that wasn't there before!

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
Patrick is still withholding the money for the Public Integrity Unit.

quote:

Incoming Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick vowed Thursday to keep even his most fiercely conservative promises, saying Texans are counting "on Republicans to lead."

Patrick, who will oversee the state Senate, also pledged to drop funding for the state public integrity unit, which investigates wrongdoing by elected officials, in the next Texas budget.

That's the unit for which outgoing Gov. Rick Perry faces two felony counts for abuse of power after he publicly threatened and then carried out a veto of $7.5 million in state funding in 2013. That followed the unit's Democratic head, Rosemary Lehmberg, refusing to resign in the wake of her conviction and jail sentence for drunken driving.

Patrick instead suggested a special prosecutor in new Republican Attorney General Ken Paxton's office.

Patrick, the tea party favorite from Houston, also promised hefty tax cuts.
more here:
http://keranews.org/post/dan-patrick-vows-drop-funding-texas-public-integrity-unit

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

e_angst posted:

Well, Dallas is semi-freaking out about their bag ban.

All I can say about the bag ban is that I'm loving glad I don't work as a cashier.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I know it is all just pre-session posturing because when it really comes down to it overturning the bag ordinance is very low on their priority and they'd rather the very precious space on the legislative schedule be filled with other things. Still I really do hope they don't gently caress with it because after the initial pain and accumulation of a few reusable bags everything is fine. Dan Patrick intending to keep his insane tax jut promise is much more worrying, especially in conjunction with ending the gas tax reallocation (which would be a good thing by itself). Education is gonna get walloped.

On the subject of bags I think where the Dallas ordinance isn't going to work out as well as the Austin one is that it allows for you to keep using the cheap disposable bags if you pay a nickle or whatever. In Austin if you forget your bags and have to pay for them you get a reusable bag which is reasonably durable and eventually even the more forgetful person has so many of these reusable bags that they can't help but have some in their car when they go shopping.

Unless Abbott does something insane like call a special session to pass a bag ban ban.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There are two things I'm legit worried will pass: vouchers and campus carry.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Could they do anything about Robin Hood?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Aliquid posted:

Could they do anything about Robin Hood?

They probably won't do anything about school funding until the current round of court cases is over.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

zoux posted:

There are two things I'm legit worried will pass: vouchers and campus carry.

Campus carry is almost certainly going to pass, but it'll be a fight. Honestly, though, I'd rather they waste the very limited session time fighting over that kind of red meat stuff that will ultimately have a fairly limited effect on things than on stuff that. It'll be like the big anti-"Sanctuary Cities" bill in the last session. Ultimately kinda pointless except for scoring points with the conservative base, but it was enough of a fight that it helped push other things further off the agenda.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nothing that they want bad enough is going to get put off for time's sake. Abbott can call as many specials as he likes.

Also, even the most bitter, contentious issues won't take more than 24 hours of floor time. The only reason that this session won' t be a complete smorgasboard of ALEC's greatest hits is because most of that stuff is on the books already.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'm most worried about the drastic tax cuts they keep promising, even in the face of the massive revenue hits caused by the drop in oil prices.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They'll use RDF money to pay for them. We'll know how bad it is when the Comptroller's rev estimate comes out later this month, but people I know who know say this is going to hurt funds more for the 2017 session than the next biennial budget.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Comptroller is giving the revenue estimate for the next biennium right now, and he put it at $113 BN. Last biennial estimate was at $101 BN. He's projecting moderate growth in the state economy and revenue, with a stronger national economy offsetting potential losses from the oil and gas industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Comptroller is giving the revenue estimate for the next biennium right now, and he put it at $113 BN. Last biennial estimate was at $101 BN. He's projecting moderate growth in the state economy and revenue, with a stronger national economy offsetting potential losses from the oil and gas industry.

11% growth. Not terrible. We may be able to avoid some terrible cuts, but we can also expect a lot of push for "tax relief".