Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

What great timing by Perry of his cashing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The boom/bust cycle is why my older brother didn't go back into the industry after being laid off from Schlumberger. My little brother works for Shell, but doing GIS stuff, so maybe he's safe. Who knows.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I got a couple of landman friends that are freaking the gently caress out.

Comptroller said on Monday in his revenue estimate that he predicts the price of oil will end the year at $75/bbl but historically the Comptroller's office hasn't been great at forecasting oil prices.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ReidRansom posted:

The boom/bust cycle is why my older brother didn't go back into the industry after being laid off from Schlumberger. My little brother works for Shell, but doing GIS stuff, so maybe he's safe. Who knows.

The majors will be fine. The main risk to his job would be Shell buying up another company and firing him because of a redundancy.

The small firms and contractors are going to be hosed sideways. Especially because outputs continue to rise due to the vicious cycle companies find themselves in. They have to pump and sell oil to pay debt service, which leads to the price dropping, which leads to having to pump and sell more oil which leads to...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's giving that speech at 2:30 and what I'm seeing from advance text is that he's striking a conciliatory, bipartisan tone which means he's expecting to challenge Jeb and Mitt in the primaries and not the rightwingers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4tWZNxnABk

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is there a reason Hegar has given for assuming $75 per barrel?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Is there a reason Hegar has given for assuming $75 per barrel?

He said during his PC but I can't remember. It's all up on the Comptoller's website.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
So our court of criminal appeals banned a lawyer who does work filing appeals for death row inmates because he was "late" filing an appeal.

quote:

On Wednesday, the judges of Texas’ highest criminal court told a defense attorney named David Dow he would not be able to practice in front of them for the next year. The Court of Criminal Appeals decided that Dow had filed a motion to stop the execution of his client, Miguel Angel Paredes, too late, and that since he’d done the same thing in a different case in 2010, he will now be suspended.

Neither the court nor Dow, a professor at the University of Houston Law Center and one of the best known death penalty defense attorneys in the country, will comment publicly. But this move is the latest evidence of an ongoing feud in Texas between lawyers who appeal on behalf of inmates facing executions, Dow chief among them, and the judges who rule on their claims. On the surface, the fights have been about deadlines, but, as criminal justice blogger Scott Henson described Dow’s relationship with the judges back in 2009, “Basically these folks just don't like each other on a level that transcends any given issue.”

Dow filed an appeal and a call for a stay seven days before the execution. The court said he should have filed it the day before. The court has explicitly said the deadline is seven days before an execution, but in practice, attorneys know that they must have it in eight days before.

Our courts are just absurdly hosed up.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

e_angst posted:

So our court of criminal appeals banned a lawyer who does work filing appeals for death row inmates because he was "late" filing an appeal.

Jesus! Any chance of this appealing this to the Texan supreme court (or was that court the highest) or SCOTUS? Because that is extremely petty, I could understand if it was consistently done and with a significant portion of their filings but not two and with four years between them.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Communist Zombie posted:

Jesus! Any chance of this appealing this to the Texan supreme court (or was that court the highest) or SCOTUS? Because that is extremely petty, I could understand if it was consistently done and with a significant portion of their filings but not two and with four years between them.

I'm pretty sure a court's rulings on the cases it will hear can't be appealed. But yea, it seems like this guy embarrassed some hanging judges and now they're getting their payback.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Xibanya posted:

Psh gently caress that. I'm from here (Texas, not Austin) and I didn't learn a drat thing in 7th grade Texas history class because I was too busy getting referrals for not saying the Texas Pledge of Allegiance.

That was in 2002 :911:

Open Carry Texas is pretty hosed up. I know a hardcore teapartier gun enthusiast who doesn't like them. I'm pretty stunned though that just anybody can stroll into the capital to start harassing people. Can you do that in other states?

Here's what I learned in Texas History in 1999:
-OIL. TEXAS. BIG, SMUG VOICES ON VIDEOS. Seriously, if any of y'all moved here and missed out on the Texas civics movies they show in classes, you should dig them up on youtube watch them, the guy they get to narrate them is legit amazing. One of my favorite narrator voices, both ironically and non-ironically.
-There is a county in Texas named Glasscock. This was very important to me in seventh grade.
-Any class taught by the school's football coach will be 3/5 busywork 2/5 videos. This carried on to be true in high school as well.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

I just remember that it was the first and last time I cheated on a test.

Also, the Alamo and Sam Houston and strangely, the Indians. I mean we talked a lot about the Indians. Then of course, independence and joining the states. I did remember my teacher was a cutie and daughter of one of the eighth grade teachers.

So yeah, basic 2003 Texas History.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Alkydere posted:

-There is a county in Texas named Glasscock. This was very important to me in seventh grade.
-Any class taught by the school's football coach will be 3/5 busywork 2/5 videos. This carried on to be true in high school as well.

I used to live in Georgetown, which is also named for Mr. Glasscock. It's actually got stuff like Starbucks and cinemas and strip malls now but when I moved there in Feb 2001 it had like 20k inhabitants and gently caress all to do and only one high school serving multiple thousands of students because nobody wanted to build a new school through a combination of ARE TAX DOLLARS and ARE AAAAA FOOTBALL.

I remember starting ninth grade in the fall of 2003. The war was on and in full swing. I was never in a habit of saying the pledge (why the gently caress should I promise loyalty to Texas? I get that I have some sweet benefits from being a U.S. citizen, but what has Texas ever done for me?) so I would sit down during the Texas pledge but everyone was freaked out about terrorists and my non pledge-saying ways became conspicuous. I was always known as a weirdo whose only friends were Latinos before but this somehow got rolled into school-shooter paranoia and once after the daily PA announcements (which included both pledges) the teacher - who liked me - took me out to the hallway and said that they got an email telling them to be on the lookout for loner weird kids to prevent a tragedy from happening and that by not saying the pledge I was painting myself as a potential danger to the school so I had to say the pledge or someone would probably report me as being a potential Harris/Klebold. I started to argue but he told me that if I didn't like it I should take it up with the principal. Being the smart rear end I was when I went back inside the classroom I loudly demanded to be sent to the principal - so I was. The principal then lectured me about how people died for my freedom so if I don't say the Texas pledge I'm disrespecting their memory. I pointed out that non-Texans also died for my freedom and I didn't have to pledge my allegiance to Ohio or something but then he said that if I don't go through all the motions I'll be scaring people so I should just stick my hand out and mouth the words if I hate saying the Texas pledge so much. I did that to avoid further trouble but I hated every moment of it.

This past December I went to see one of my brothers graduate from A&M. During the Texas pledge I sat down and some Aggies in the seats near me gave me the stink eye. Felt good man. The Texas pledge can go to hell.

Back on Texas politics, do you think the drop in oil prices could have a knock-on effect on the tech industry in Austin? I'm wondering how much of the tech nonsense is tied in with business in Houston. Given I work at an accounting firm I feel my job is solid and I'd love to see Austin thin out a bit!

EDIT: phone posting drat you autocorrect etc etc

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 20, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I fuckin' hope so, rent is insane.

I grew up in Leander, Georgetown was a football rival and Mason Crosby used to dink field goals against us all day.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xibanya posted:

Back on Texas politics, do you think the drop in oil prices could have a knock-on effect on the tech industry in Austin? I'm wondering how much of the tech nonsense is tied in with business in Houston. Given I work at an accounting firm I feel my job is solid and I'd love to see Austin thin out a bit!

Nah, but it is connected with Silicon Valley and they're approaching the "IPO and bust" stage of the bubble.

I hope it's soon because they're one of the two cities I hope to live in if (probably when) I can't find a job outside of Texas.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

While Houston might be sad about the decline in oil prices, they aren't as sad as Midland/Odessa or OKC.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Xibanya posted:

I used to live in Georgetown, which is also named for Mr. Glasscock. It's actually got stuff like Starbucks and cinemas and strip malls now but when I moved there in Feb 2001 it had like 20k inhabitants and gently caress all to do and only one high school serving multiple thousands of students because nobody wanted to build a new school through a combination of ARE TAX DOLLARS and ARE AAAAA FOOTBALL.

It is only recently that Georgetown has grown enough as a bedroom community for Austin that residents have gotten the numbers to outvote the childless tax-dodging assholes of Sun City Georgetown (with 90% turnout) and vote in some school spending.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Trabisnikof posted:

While Houston might be sad about the decline in oil prices, they aren't as sad as Midland/Odessa or OKC.

There are (still) signs on I-10 West after the beltway that say "Hate traffic, turn right 460 miles" for Continental Resources in OKC, trying to bank on a better commute. The thing to remember these are billboards headed towards the Energy Corridor for counter traffic commuting, not withstanding the fact that the large independent is not likely hiring anymore. I am actually waiting for our company to announce layoffs because I am in new ventures and this is going to be one of the first groups to get cut. At least we are likely to be on higher priority to move to other groups than low performers that are there now. That and I haven't wasted my salary in the past five years and can survive a downturn compared to the to those that spent for a few years of backpacking or hiking in South America.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Xibanya posted:

My grandfather lived in Georgetown in the 1990s (before Sun City) and my uncle used to work for the Georgetown Sun, so I remember it reasonably well. You're absolutely right that it was pretty boring, all things considered. I mean, this was back in the days when the second biggest draw was the Candle Factory. And yeah, that should say something about how dinky Georgetown was, all things considered.

Of course the big thing then wasn't the current Austin tech boom so much as "Will Georgetown get the Power Computing campus?" Which naturally became completely irrelevant once Jobs came back to Apple, so... :shrug:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I hate Sun City. Those fuckers blocked up the creek that used to run through my neighborhood. It's been a dry creek bed for years. I didn't know you could just dam a creek upstream but here we are.

My Grandma has some friends who live there. She says every time someone dies everyone jokes "looks like another golf cart's for sale!"

Old people are twisted fucks.

Edit: goddamn I can't believe I forgot the candle factory. At least Inner Space is still around.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Xibanya posted:

Pledge stuff

Exact same thing happened to me, only on the first anniversary of 9/11. Pledges in schools are immensely creepy.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I've already seen rents and housing prices drop over the past month or so in Houston, which, thank god for that. I'm hoping the glut of new construction, combined with the slowdown will saturate the housing market enough for me to be able to get a little less than 200 a square foot

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I always thought doing the Texas pledge after the US pledge was dumb because the US PoA ends with "indivisible" and then you immediately divide it by pledging allegiance to Texas.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

My mom was actually talking about football players who don't put their hand over their heart, a freeping rant from my stepfather.

I politely told her that people died for a choice to do it or not, that's why this country is different.

It just boggles my mind, that people forget because ARE FREEDOMS should really translate to choice. That's liberty.

Goddamnit, I need some whiskey.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Other states don't do state pledges? Oh, Texas

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PostNouveau posted:

Other states don't do state pledges? Oh, Texas

Michigan does and it's worse.

quote:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of Michigan, and to the state for which it stands, two beautiful peninsulas united by a bridge of steel, where equal opportunity and justice to all is our ideal.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

computer parts posted:

Michigan does and it's worse.

Excessive drinking may have reduced my short-term memory however, I grew up in rural Michigan going to public school and I have no recollection of saying that in school like Texans.

Sidenote: We do have two beautiful peninsulas, would just be nice if they were united by jobs instead of seeing my generation leave.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Pledges are stupid and border on indoctrination as is. A state pledge is even worse. However, what are you really accomplishing by not doing them? I'll admit I'm a teacher and am on the opposite "side" now, but it's just a stupid thing you do and move on with.

And when you don't do it, everyone in the class has to make a big deal about it and how they shouldn't have to do it either. Meanwhile the teacher is trying to just move past the situation and get to the lesson, but we've got to deal with district policy, etc.

It's not like a real issue where you can actually make a difference by standing up for yourself. It's just a stupid thing you deal with, don't make a big deal about it, and move on.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

mastajake posted:

Pledges are stupid and border on indoctrination as is. A state pledge is even worse. However, what are you really accomplishing by not doing them? I'll admit I'm a teacher and am on the opposite "side" now, but it's just a stupid thing you do and move on with.

And when you don't do it, everyone in the class has to make a big deal about it and how they shouldn't have to do it either. Meanwhile the teacher is trying to just move past the situation and get to the lesson, but we've got to deal with district policy, etc.

It's not like a real issue where you can actually make a difference by standing up for yourself. It's just a stupid thing you deal with, don't make a big deal about it, and move on.

I'll tell you my thought process. I was constantly tired as a teen because it's fuckin' unfair to make teenagers wake up at 7AM. (Now that I'm a grown-up I have a job that lets me arrive at work at 9AM -- sure I often have to leave at 7PM but in my mind that's way better than arriving at 8 and leaving at 6 because pushing the start time of my day out by just one hour makes me feel way way better.) I didn't wanna stand up because I was exhausted. So it started not as political protest but as :effort: . But then everybody started making a big deal of it and that just made me more mad. Think about it from my teenager point of view: everybody around me was telling me that there was something wrong with me - I'm being ungrateful to people who died to save my life. I could either accept that accusation ("Wow, I'm being really disrespectful to people who died for me. Someone who would do that is a terrible person.") or reject it ("I am not a terrible person, therefore you are full of poo poo.") My decision? There's nothing wrong with me - YOU'RE the jerks for thinking something is wrong! I decided it was a personal attack on my character, and regardless of my original motivations (sleepiness) I then decided I was being denigrated and not fighting back was the equivalent of admitting I was a lovely ungrateful person.

Teenager logic.

However, now that I'm an adult and I can do whatever I want, I take a certain glee in sitting down if I ever hear the Texas pledge, which is now a mercifully rare occasion, as a special gently caress you to everyone who ever harassed me about being a terrorist-lover when I was in school.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmm are you sure you are an adult?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

zoux posted:

Hmm are you sure you are an adult?

Are you sure you're not an rear end in a top hat?

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
It's pretty depressing to see people advocating the participation in pointless jingoistic rituals just for the sake of moving things along.

If you feel that way, how'd you feel about it being mandated at places of employment? You may consider that ridiculous (as I do), but if that's ridiculous, then why isn't it ridiculous for it to be mandated in public schools?

There are certainly bigger problems in the world. :smith:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

You should never try to rock the boat in Texas, you will fail, utterly.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

As a teacher you have the power to tell students it's voluntary or even skip the garbage altogether. The district can gently caress themselves, just call the media if you actually get reprimanded for it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Randandal posted:

As a teacher you have the power to tell students it's voluntary or even skip the garbage altogether. The district can gently caress themselves, just call the media if you actually get reprimanded for it.

What, you think Texas local media would support the unpatriotic teacher forcing his students to ignore the pledge?!?! News at 11.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

e_angst posted:

I had Professor Dow in law school. He's a cool dude and very passionate about his work. What a crock of poo poo.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Xibanya posted:

I remember starting ninth grade in the fall of 2003. The war was on and in full swing. I was never in a habit of saying the pledge (why the gently caress should I promise loyalty to Texas? I get that I have some sweet benefits from being a U.S. citizen, but what has Texas ever done for me?) so I would sit down during the Texas pledge but everyone was freaked out about terrorists and my non pledge-saying ways became conspicuous. I was always known as a weirdo whose only friends were Latinos before but this somehow got rolled into school-shooter paranoia and once after the daily PA announcements (which included both pledges) the teacher - who liked me - took me out to the hallway and said that they got an email telling them to be on the lookout for loner weird kids to prevent a tragedy from happening and that by not saying the pledge I was painting myself as a potential danger to the school so I had to say the pledge or someone would probably report me as being a potential Harris/Klebold. I started to argue but he told me that if I didn't like it I should take it up with the principal. Being the smart rear end I was when I went back inside the classroom I loudly demanded to be sent to the principal - so I was. The principal then lectured me about how people died for my freedom so if I don't say the Texas pledge I'm disrespecting their memory. I pointed out that non-Texans also died for my freedom and I didn't have to pledge my allegiance to Ohio or something but then he said that if I don't go through all the motions I'll be scaring people so I should just stick my hand out and mouth the words if I hate saying the Texas pledge so much. I did that to avoid further trouble but I hated every moment of it.

This past December I went to see one of my brother's graduate from A&M. During the Texas pledge I sat down and some Aggies in the seats near me have me the stink eye. Felt good man. The Texas pledge can go to hell.

This is so weird to me. I grew up in Dallas, and Austin. I went to public schools both places. I went to college is Dallas. I was never forced to do a Texas Pledge, and until this discussion, I literally did not know that such a pledge existed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reminder that the Inauguration is today and begins in fact in seven minutes!

Tribune is livestreaming.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
http://austin.culturemap.com/news/city-life/01-20-15-austin-unhappiest-place-work-country/

quote:

On January 16, an article appeared in Forbes counting down the 10 happiest and unhappiest cities to work in the U.S. Based on an annual study by CareerBliss, a career information site, Austin is the No. 5 unhappiest city to work in right now.

Wait, what? What about our reputation as a top city for job seekers? And the fact that we're a great city for STEM careers? Sure, our traffic is so terrible we have to talk about it all the time just to make ourselves feel better, but we see sunshine 300 days a year and live in a city where it is culturally acceptable to eat tacos for every meal.

According to Forbes, certain key factors (not including tacos) were considered in this study "including work-life balance, an employee’s relationship with his or her boss and co-workers, general work environment, compensation, opportunities for advancement, company culture and resources."

Maybe people will see Austin sucks and finally go away, making it suck less.

What would it take to get a rail initiative past the NIMBYers? I think traffic is a huge component to Austin hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Xibanya posted:

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/city-life/01-20-15-austin-unhappiest-place-work-country/

Maybe people will see Austin sucks and finally go away, making it suck less.

What would it take to get a rail initiative past the NIMBYers? I think traffic is a huge component to Austin hate.

It would take finding a revenue source they don't get to vote on.