Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I just wanted to give you a quick thanks because everything is working perfectly now. I highly recommend the FireTV!

Didn't you say in the retro games thread that you have a Shield as well? If so, any chance that you would be willing to sideload Limelight on the Fire TV and do an A/B comparison of that vs. the official Steam streaming on the Shield? Because I've gotten Limelight to work pretty well on the Fire TV, but unfortunately the input lag makes a lot of games pretty difficult to play. I'd like to know just how that compares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Limelight/game streaming/RF stuff

If you already have Geforce Experience installed and configured on your PC then all that you should have to do is install the Limelight APK on the Fire TV and then pair it to the computer the same as you did the Shield. You shouldn't even need root unless you want mouse support. Limelight is just an alternative game streaming client that doesn't care if the client device is a Shield or any other Android device, and in fact it can apparently be installed on a Shield alongside the official game streaming client, which you could also do if you really wanted to be a dear.

I really think my input lag issue is probably a fault of Limelight and not anything else. The PC I'm streaming from is an AMD FX 4ghz 8 core with 32gb of RAM and a Geforce 660GTX, the controller is a 360 wireless with a generic dongle (so RF, but there is no input lag when using the dongle with the PC and frankly works perfectly there) and it's connected through ethernet so interference/network lag can't be blamed. I've thought of buying a USB Gigabit adapter to see if it's the ethernet controller, but that not only seems unlikely but also a bit overkill along with giving my rats nest of a Fire TV one more cord to go along with the USB hub, mouse, keyboard, controller dongle and external HDD. Even still, the input lag is significant enough that of the games that I've tried on it RTSes, Skyrim, or slower things of that nature work fine, but FPSes, the Arkham games, MGS Revengeance and the Tomb Raider reboot are all not really worth it. Shovel Knight is particularly bad, so the prospects of playing New Super Mario Bros dolphin emulated aren't looking promising either, which is pretty much the whole reason I wanted to use Limelight in the first place.

I just got a DS3 working last night but I haven't noticed any real lag to speak of with it. I've got a few other controllers I should test against it, but I don't think it's anything hardware related. The best controller I've used for the FTV so far is actually one of these, though getting it to work with things is often tricky. I don't notice any input lag difference one way or another when comparing wired and Bluetooth, and frankly playing emulated SNES with SNES9X EX and that controller is about a million times more responsive than playing emulated SNES on my hacked OG Xbox with a wired controller. I will do some tests later tonight with using the NES30, DS3 and a Wiimote to see if it's something in my controller configuration for now.

Thanks for doing this, by the way. I really appreciate it.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
Has anyone in here had any success with the Rom Collection Browser for XBMC? This guide has gotten it to where I've got my whole collection scraped and at least visually working, but getting an emulator to actually launch is another story altogether.

Limelight/Gamestream stuff

Don't worry about testing it. I figured out my problem. It's not input lag that's holding me up but video lag. I tried playing Dolphin through limelight with a Nintendo branded Wiimote paired to my PC (the PC is about 8 feet from my TV) but the lag is still the same. When playing New Super Mario Bros you can quite noticeably hear the Wiimote speaker's response to a coin pickup way before Mario walks into a coin. I have no idea if this is a problem on the client or server side, so to hell with it. I'm not about to upgrade my computer so that I can do something that I can already do with an HDMI cable running to the TV with much better results :/

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
That version of Netflix appears to be the stock Android app which is designed for touch screen devices and doesn't work with the remote. You're either going to have to use a mouse with it or find and use the Netflix app that comes stock on US Fire TVs.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Linco posted:

I just installed XBMC today, and have been using 1Channel. It is pretty great, but everything seems to be in SD. Is there anything else out there that has better quality stuff?

Genesis is amazing and has lots of stuff in HD.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

sedative posted:

The new Netflix app requires the latest software update (51.1.4.0_user_514006420) and it doesn't currently work on the pre-rooted version. Don't upgrade yet if you're rooted and you want to watch Netflix.

Upgrading to the newest pre-rooted firmware breaks both the old and new Netflix app for me, which is fine for the moment for me as my PS3 does Netflix a million times better anyhow. Unless you need UK time zones there's really no reason to upgrade to this version at all.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

delfin posted:

My Fire TV Stick arrived today and now has the basics running on it -- Netflix, Pandora, Zen Pinball, Flappy loving Bird.

I read the XBMC steps that were linked and got stopped cold. Do I need an Android phone or tablet to sideload things onto this, or will my laptop work if I have an APK on this? (I am a complete Android novice for the most part.) Will something like Bluestacks work for that purpose?

EDIT: Pretty sure this will suffice.

You don't need any other android device to sideload. Use this to download whatever APK you need and then this or this to sideload it on to the stick.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

tesilential posted:

Ok I suck at XBMC and Android stuff in general.

How do I get a browser (any) on my firetv?

Side load the apk for whatever browser you want to use. I believe Chrome requires google play services and root, but other browsers might work as-is.

quote:

edit: Also how would I get UFC FightPass? I have a subscription and on the website it says compatible with Android devices, but no mention of Fire TV. I imagine I have to sideload the APK like I did with XBMC, but where would I find it? I'll admit I just followed a quick tutorial posted here the day I bought my Fire TV and have not played around with anything other than loading XBMC repos and Netflix.

Again, sideload the APK for it. You shouldn't have to do anything special, though you often need a mouse to navigate these things since they're usually designed with a touch screen in mind.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

FogHelmut posted:

Is anyone using any aftermarket video game controllers? I'm seeing mixed reviews on whether they work or not.

I'm using an Xbox 360 controller with wireless dongle and an NES30. Both work perfectly, except the NES30 won't work in Limelight for some unknown reason. I've also used a Dualshock 3 with the Sixaxis app but enabling that means that normal bluetooth functions are disabled so you can't use the Fire TV remote again until you turn off Sixaxis. Supposedly the Dualshock 4 works really well out of the box, though the keymaps are a bit messed up and can only be corrected with root.

In short: if you sideload a normal android 4.2 settings.apk most things that connect through bluetooth will work fairly easily. I've also used one of these with a hacked together with electrical tape USB cord and it works pretty flawlessly. The vast controller compatibility is one of the best aspects of the Fire TV/Android set top boxes.

http://www.aftvnews.com/alternate-game-controllers-compatible-with-the-fire-tv/

Jadius fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 1, 2014

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

FogHelmut posted:

So if I don't want to screw around with a bunch of stuff I should just pay the $40 for the official controller?

If sideloading settings.apk and clicking the pair button qualifies as screwing around with a bunch of stuff, yeah.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

FogHelmut posted:

I mean it seems silly that a controller is unfortunately competitively priced at $40. That NES one is $32, but they should have shaped it like the SNES controller, as I'm having memories of childhood blisters. And buying any adapters to get XBox controllers to work makes the whole thing a wash. Unless the Amazon controller is somehow awkward or crap quality, it just seems like you might as well for the cost, despite it basically doubling the price of the FireTV if you want two controllers.

I've never used the Amazon controller but everything I've read on it says that it's an okay controller but nothing special. It's basically a 360 controller without the build quality of the 360 controller and with a D-pad that hasn't had anything nice said about it. Is this for a stick or the original Fire TV? Because if it's the full size FTV you can always just use a wired 360 controller. That doesn't require anything special at all and works on everything without any setup whatsoever. Just plug it into USB and go.

The NES30 is a great controller, but I hear you on the blisters. My left hand is full of callouses from playing emulated Super Metroid on it for 8 hours last weekend. There's also this which is the same thing only modeled after the Famicom controller so the edges are rounded. It's probably a good deal more comfortable.

It's also worth noting that even if you use a controller with a messed up keymap most emulators will allow you to remap it to whatever you want, so it doesn't matter if that's all the gaming you plan to do on it. The .emu emulators are the best emulators around and this has a bit to do with it, since they also allow you to disable any system specific keys (like home, menu and back) on a per device basis. These keys are usually mapped to start and select on most controllers, so doing this allows you to regain those buttons on the controller for use inside of emulators while still retaining their functionality on the Amazon remote. Remapping keys inside of actual app store games is totally up to the developers including the feature, though, so YMMV.

CrashCat posted:

Awesome, thanks for the link, I might fool around with this later on my Stick to see what works. If I break it I only paid $20 for it in the first place. Unfortunately didn't think to check about root stuff so it's probably already blocked out of that. If I can't find some sort of pointing device that works on Bluetooth then none of that is much use on the Stick anyway.

The Stick doesn't have root at this point, and who knows if it will ever get it, seeing as how the regular Fire TV can only be rooted if you manage to get an old stock one with an older firmware. Bricking the stick should be a rather involved task anyhow simply because of the lack of root and lack of a usable USB port, provided you don't do something like disable bluetooth altogether.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
In my experience playing DC games on Reicast is glorious for about five minutes before causing a kernel panic that reboots the Fire TV. It happens on every single game every single time.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

catch22 posted:

Got a Fire TV stick recently to give as a gift, have a few questions:
1. XBMC or SPMC? (ease of use is a concern)
2. Can the stick handle SNES/Genesis emulators?
3. Can the normal Fire and/or the stick handle two gamepads for two player games?

1: SPMC. It has a number of Android specific fixes over regular XBMC. Use this keymap for the remote.

2: It shouldn't have any problem with either provided you don't go crazy and turn on HQ2X or something ridiculous.

3: They can both handle it fine.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Gonna disagree with this one. There's no real reason to use SPMC over regular XBMC.

The Fire TV being able to go to sleep correctly counts as a pretty good reason to me, but that really wouldn't be a concern for someone non-rooted that doesn't want XBMC to be the launcher.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

catch22 posted:

Snes9x only recognizes one button press on the Fire TV remote

:what:

All of the .emu emulators have detected every keypress of every controller I've thrown at them, including the FTV remote (which I use all of the time in emulators as I've bound fast forward to the FF key on the remote). Is this an older version of Snes9x or something? Because I know a few revisions back you could only edit input settings on a global level, but newer releases allow you to change the input settings on a per device basis.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

catch22 posted:

This is the one I downloaded. Got a link for the Snes9x you're using? I'd like to give that one a shot

I'm still using 1.5.19 because I haven't updated in a while, but the most recent version is free from the developer's site. I wouldn't trust a random mediafire upload as a good way to source APKs, by the way.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
Do any of you know of a way to edit app start up order/priorities on boot? I have all of my XBMC thumbnails on a thumb drive and am using a launcher variant of SPMC, but unfortunately SPMC boots first thing and stickmount always likes to go last. This causes every thumbnail to be one of those puzzle piece "hey there should be an image here but there isn't" things until I exit and restart SPMC. It's a pretty minor annoyance, but I have to reboot the Fire TV way more than I should thanks to my USB hub being a piece of poo poo that likes to disconnect the thumb drive at random, so this is something I sometimes have to do 5 or more times a day.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

KKKLIP ART posted:

If I'm going from the last release candidate of Kodi to the full fledged release, do I just sideboard it or should I uninstall the release candidate first?

Backup your userdata and addons directory at the very least just in case something does go wrong, then run "adb install -r kodinamehere.apk". Sideloading with the -r switch allows you to just update the app while (hopefully) retaining all of your settings and such from the previous install. You should be able to update apps this way for every app you sideload on to the thing.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Malt posted:

What's the best way to navigate a browser on the Fire Stick? Trying to use the remote app on my phone and that is doing nothing in Firefox.

A bluetooth mouse. The stick's lack of a functional USB port really limits your options here, and rooting being impossible means that things like Droidmote don't even work.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Call Me Charlie posted:

I was reading at XDA that you'd have to "sideload settings.apk from one of the post in General" to get that to work.

That, sadly, is the case with most bluetooth devices on either FTV. I've heard that the Dualshock 4 pairs as an official Amazon controller (with a messed up keymap as a result), but every BT controller I've thrown at it needed to go through Android settings. I really think it should be in a checklist of things that everyone should sideload first thing after buying the device. It doesn't break anything to do so, and it opens up a lot of options that Amazon otherwise wouldn't allow, like bluetooth keyboards, mice, speakers, headphones, etc.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
This isn't specifically for the Fire TV, but the Android port of KOTOR was released the other day and sideloads to the Fire TV just fine. I've been playing it on mine and it's great. It works just fine with my 360 controller, the graphics at 1080p are really crisp, and overall it just plays awesome. The install size loving sucks, though.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

hitachi posted:

Just going to the menu on the Fire and holding down the share and PS button on the controller. The controller starts doing the fast blinking thing and then it pops up on the FireTV. I select the controller that popped up with the Fire remote and then it just sits there for a few minutes and says unable to pair.

sideload a regular android settings.apk and then try to pair it through that.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
Speaking of the upcoming wave of Android boxes, what do guys think of the new Razer Forge? Hardware feature wise it's almost the same as the FTV except it has a snapdragon 805, AC wifi, gigabit ethernet, usb 3.0, 16gb of storage and Lollipop for $99. If external storage works out of the box and/or it's rootable I'm gonna switch in a second, if only because Android 5.0 would solve most of the issues that I have with the Fire TV.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm going to update the OP. Would anybody like to see a guide on emulation? I've been messing around with it lately and it's pretty solid once you get everything set up.

I just wish the Fire TV had more onboard storage. Has anybody tried a setup with a USB hub, a USB drive with all the stuff on it and a wired 360 controller?

That's my current setup. I have a no-name USB 2.0 hub that I found in a box somewhere and a 64gb SSD in external enclosure, though my 360 controller is wireless with dongle. I can happily answer any questions you might have about it.

The Gunslinger posted:

I can't get the 360 controller to work properly, the controller itself will sync with the hub once its plugged in but the guide button blinks endlessly which is too distracting. Some people said this is a problem with the knockoff 360 hubs so I bought a real one and it had the same problem. I've had zero luck getting a bluetooth controller like the PS4 working with it either since it requires root. I'm nearly ready to just order the Amazon controller but it supposedly has problems mapping buttons in various emulator apps so I'm kinda throwing my hands up at this point.

The constantly blinking light thing is just par for the course. As far as I know there is no cure for it. I don't even notice it on mine anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Call Me Charlie posted:

So no performance issues? That's the thing that was worrying me.

Also what manager are you using? I have Gamesome but it's been having issues matching certain games.

I haven't noticed any performance issues. I have mine rooted and until this latest update I had actually used a script to mount the external drive as /data and it seemed just as fast as installing games on the internal memory. This last update broke that, though, so I converted it to fat and reinstalled everything. I'm currently using foldermount to move the data and obbs from games and such to the external drive, and it certainly seems zippy enough. AFTVnews.com had some guide on external hard drives, and the gist of it was that it all came down to the speed of the hard drive. I just happened to have a spare SSD that I wasn't using and I'm sure that factors in a good deal.

The only major complaint that I have about my setup is that the hub is a piece of poo poo that likes to lose connection if you even slightly bump it, which requires a restart before the drive (and the 4 other things plugged into it) is accepted again. I really should just get a decent hub.

quote:

Also what manager are you using? I have Gamesome but it's been having issues matching certain games.

I assume you mean for emulators? I use Rom Collection Browser inside of Kodi to manage my emulation needs. It's a bit of a learning curve and will take a good while to setup, but once it's is the thing looks and works pretty classy. One of the things I like most about it is that you can add your own entries for games that can't be scraped (rom hacks for instance) with a little text editing and photoshop.

On the subject of emulators for the Fire TV, I'd like to say I'm a big fan of the .emu emulators made by Robert Broglia. They're really customizable, they accept any controller you can throw at them, and it's really nice that they all have the exact same interface.

• Locked thread