Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

http://thinkprogress.org/default/2014/06/18/3450333/in-landmark-decision-us-patent-office-cancels-trademark-for-redskins-football-team/

The United States Patent and Trademark Office has canceled six federal trademark registrations for the name of the Washington Redskins, ruling that the name is “disparaging to Native Americans” and thus cannot be trademarked under federal law that prohibits the protection of offensive or disparaging language.

The U.S. PTO’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board issued a ruling in the case, brought against the team by plaintiff Amanda Blackhorse, Wednesday morning.

“We decide, based on the evidence properly before us, that these registrations must be cancelled because they were disparaging to Native Americans at the respective times they were registered,” the board wrote in its opinion.

“The Trademark Trial and Appeal Board agreed with our clients that the team’s name and trademarks disparage Native Americans. The Board ruled that the Trademark Office should never have registered these trademarks in the first place,” Jesse Witten, the plaintiffs’ lead attorney, said in a press release. “We presented a wide variety of evidence – including dictionary definitions and other reference works, newspaper clippings, movie clips, scholarly articles, expert linguist testimony, and evidence of the historic opposition by Native American groups – to demonstrate that the word ‘redskin’ is an ethnic slur.”

“I am extremely happy that the [Board] ruled in our favor,” Blackhorse said in a statement. “It is a great victory for Native Americans and for all Americans. We filed our petition eight years ago and it has been a tough battle ever since. I hope this ruling brings us a step closer to that inevitable day when the name of the Washington football team will be changed. The team’s name is racist and derogatory. I’ve said it before and I will say it again – if people wouldn’t dare call a Native American a ‘redskin’ because they know it is offensive, how can an NFL football team have this name?”

The Trial and Appeals Board previously rescinded the team’s trademark protections as part of a case filed in 1992. A federal court later overturned the ruling on appeal due to a technicality that the plaintiffs say has been fixed in this most recent case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Countdown to Cafe Press Redskins shirt empires being built.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Initial thoughts: :lol:

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Hahahahaha

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

About time. Hopefully this is what will ultimately end up forcing the change, since Snyder isn't going to do it himself.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, "my #brand!"

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Guys I'm selling shirts for $10 just paypal me.

Cav
Jun 7, 2002

I'm a (3 star) Highway Star.
Wait, wait.

So how does this affect Dan Snyder's Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Doesn't this mean you could legally make and sell bootleg Redskins t-shirts now?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Time for my Seattle-based yukon gold potato business to swoop in and get it.

For real though, this is huge. gently caress that stupid racist-rear end name. Good on the government.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Countdown to the Washington Lobbyists RG3 jersey being a best seller.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Thauros posted:

Doesn't this mean you could legally make and sell bootleg Redskins t-shirts now?

Go hog wild.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The trademark was canceled because it was offensive "at the time it was registered" so hopefully Dan submitted a new request before someone else does.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Thauros posted:

Finally, my empire will thrive. Generic boy pissing on generic logo

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Still laughing at the patent office being the ones that will force a name change.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

Time to start guessing new names, then.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The trademark was canceled because it was offensive "at the time it was registered" so hopefully Dan submitted a new request before someone else does.

You really think they're going to find that it's not offensive now?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thauros posted:

I believe so! But Snyder will appeal this, and during that (I have no idea, unemployed lawyers help) the court will probably put an injunction against the sale of items until that appeal is heard.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Harlock posted:

As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, "my #brand!"

It's just one voice, the voice of Darren Rovell.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
You have one choice, Snyder:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ozu posted:

Still laughing at the patent office being the ones that will force a name change.

It did almost happen back in the 90's, but the case was thrown out on a technicality.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't think this forces anything. If anything it kind of forces Snyder into keeping it, or else it makes it look like he cares more about t shirt sales than allegations of racism. I mean I know he's incapable of shame and all, but still.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Frackie Robinson posted:

I don't think this forces anything. If anything it kind of forces Snyder into keeping it, or else it makes it look like he cares more about t shirt sales than allegations of racism. I mean I know he's incapable of shame and all, but still.

He's #1 an rear end in a top hat who is used to getting his way, always, and #2 a tightwad who doesn't want to pay to have millions of dollars in redskins stuff thrown out including pens and clipboards.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Frackie Robinson posted:

When he has to sell T-shirts for $10-$15 to compete with all the dudes selling them outside the stadium, he won't care what it looks like, he'll care about the fact he's losing millions per year.

quote:

He's #1 an rear end in a top hat who is used to getting his way, always, and #2 a tightwad who doesn't want to pay to have millions of dollars in redskins stuff thrown out including pens and clipboards.

If and when they change the name, there's no way they won't be able to sell the rest of the stuff as "vintage."

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
Snyder will fight this as much as possible, but there's no way the NFL will let a team logo/name be unprotected.

E: I don't give the slightest of shits about the name being offensive. Snyder should only change the name if it costs him money, which this makes it do.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Washington Birdmen

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So if I'm reading this right, the original case against the name was filed in 1992, Washington lost, but won on appeal on a technicality in 1999, and then this most recent case was filed in 2006.

That's pretty impressively slow.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

When he has to sell T-shirts for $10-$15 to compete with all the dudes selling them outside the stadium, he won't care what it looks like, he'll care about the fact he's losing millions per year.

Is there any reason he can't keep the logo trademarked? There's nothing remotely offensive about the logo, unless we want to make the argument "Anything resembling a human being is, by law, offensive".

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nail Rat posted:

You really think they're going to find that it's not offensive now?

I think they're going to try.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Washington Birdmen

I like the Washington Shinobi, personally.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Great White Hope posted:

Is there any reason he can't keep the logo trademarked? There's nothing remotely offensive about the logo, unless we want to make the argument "Anything resembling a human being is, by law, offensive".

I suppose so, but stylized city/team shirts and hats without logos also sell pretty well.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Dan Snyder registered "Washington Warriors" a long time ago. That would still continue using an Indian moniker probably, which I think would be a mistake.

Do the right thing, Snyder. "Washington Red Pandas"

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Currently in talks with a printer to start making posters of this totally legal image

whoops cropping, well whatever you get the "joke"

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
Washington Bengazis

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

Washington Anti-Air Defense System That's Supposed to Protect the Pentagon

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If they do have to make a change they should just call themselves "Washington" and stick with a generic W logo, that way the fans can just call them what they want.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Kalli posted:

So if I'm reading this right, the original case against the name was filed in 1992, Washington lost, but won on appeal on a technicality in 1999, and then this most recent case was filed in 2006.

That's pretty impressively slow.

Washington F-35's

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Frackie Robinson posted:

If they do have to make a change they should just call themselves "Washington" and stick with a generic W logo, that way the fans can just call them what they want.

The Washington What-The-gently caress-Evers.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Frackie Robinson posted:

Washington FC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Washington Bullets

• Locked thread