Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Chichevache posted:

Shut up Doltos

This is some kettle pot poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Alternately, if Chich tells someone to shut up and people start agreeing, woe be unto the person he was referring to

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

This is some kettle pot poo poo

Broken clocks are right sometimes

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

Chris James 2 posted:

Broken clocks are right sometimes

Twice a day as a matter of fact.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The Washington Worthless Metaposting.

Would be better if it was an audio drop of Snyder defending Donald Sterling instead.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Probably Magic posted:

The Washington Worthless Metaposting.

Would be better if it was an audio drop of Snyder defending Donald Sterling instead.

Maybe a recording of him saying "look at all these beautiful red bodies" when meeting with the Onieda nation

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

Alternately, if Chich tells someone to shut up and people start agreeing, woe be unto the person he was referring to

Between Chich telling me to shut up, people agreeing with him, and Zen Vulgarity of all people talking about who the poo poo poster is, I've found the perfect storm to slowly back away from.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
The Washington Turnover Appropriations Committee.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I think it would be cool for the NFL to work out a deal where the incoming President (or his massive committee) gets to decide what the team name will be. It has the added benefit of getting to sell a poo poo ton of new merchandise every 4-8 years.

Also, I think Snyder can still sue people selling merchandise for infringement, which even if he loses the case will scare off everyone other than Nike.

Big Jay Cutler
Sep 2, 2011

IT'S ME
Yes... YES!

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

swickles posted:

I think it would be cool for the NFL to work out a deal where the incoming President (or his massive committee) gets to decide what the team name will be. It has the added benefit of getting to sell a poo poo ton of new merchandise every 4-8 years.

Eh gently caress that I don't want some carpet bagget renaming my team.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

het posted:

The Washington Clipse (VA beach is closer to DC than charlotte, I'm claiming 'em)

The Washington Neptunes

A new fight song every year, and they all go platinum.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bewbies posted:

"Chiefs" was from a fan poll and it is usually attributed to in honoof H. Roe Bartle who was a pretty cool dude.

That being said if they decide they want to change the name I don't care even a little bit.

A bunch of KC teams have had weird local ties that aren't what you'd originally think of for their names. Chiefs there, Royals are for the American Royal (livestock show/rodeo), Monarchs were for the butterfly. I guess Kings were just Kings when they were here, although they were randomly the Royals too before coming to KC/Omaha.

But yeah, if they want to change it I'm not terribly bothered as long as they come up with something half decent.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I really liked this idea:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/11458543/Washington-Redhawks-Brand-Identity-Proposal

Keeps the colors and tribute to the Native Americans the same, but just slightly alters the logo.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Grittybeard posted:

A bunch of KC teams have had weird local ties that aren't what you'd originally think of for their names. Chiefs there, Royals are for the American Royal (livestock show/rodeo), Monarchs were for the butterfly. I guess Kings were just Kings when they were here, although they were randomly the Royals too before coming to KC/Omaha.

But yeah, if they want to change it I'm not terribly bothered as long as they come up with something half decent.

Two named teams that turned out badly are the Texans and the Wizards. I very much liked the Bullets.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Doltos posted:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/11458543/Washington-Redhawks-Brand-Identity-Proposal

Keeps the colors and tribute to the Native Americans the same, but just slightly alters the logo.

Bird teams can go to hell.

Really, as long as the name isn't stupid and the colors are kept I don't really care.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I find it funny that when the Media finally started to really hammer in how bad the Redskins name was that this happened. Not that I'm not glad that it has, but this does kinda screw over the people who can't afford to buy another jersey. It's gonna be nice how this will ripple and cause change with other racistly named teams, though.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

anime gently caress pillow posted:

I find it funny that when the Media finally started to really hammer in how bad the Redskins name was that this happened. Not that I'm not glad that it has, but this does kinda screw over the people who can't afford to buy another jersey. It's gonna be nice how this will ripple and cause change with other racistly named teams, though.

If Washington were a well-run organization, they would arrange an exchange program for at least a discount. Unfortunately, we're talking about Dan Snyder, penny-pinching mastermind.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Late to this but:

Hahaha gently caress you Snyder

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

You guys are missing the obvious Bureau of Football Affairs

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

Having 2 ___hawks teams in the league is probably a bit much.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chichevache posted:

Having 2 ___hawks teams in the league is probably a bit much.

You're right, maybe call them the Seattle Balmers or something instead

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Lobyists is good, too

Logo could be a hand holding a cartoon sack of money and the team motto could be "Get Owned", "Dance For Me Puppets" or something

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Call them the Browns, no one is using that name for anything anyway

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nice

Also, I'm still mad that the Reading Phillies team isn't called the Baseballtown Hotdogs, so can the Washington Redskins change their name to the American Hotdogs please

Cleveland Indians might be under pressure to change logo. We'll take the Hot Dogs name off your hands and re-sell the naming rights to Hillshire Farms so they can rename Progressive Field to Ballpark Ballpark.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Washington Jaguars

Washington Falcons

Washington Jets

Washington Patriots

just flip the double birds to the rest of the league (and everybody else)

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Silly liberals ... they will appeal and win the appeal again and the trademark is still in effect until a final ruling. Until a majority of the public or some high profile players speak out against the name they will keep it. The Redskins are still one of the most valuable franchises in the world and people who compare it to the Sterling case dont understandd the difference between changing your owner and changing the name of your brand.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

GaussianCopula posted:

Silly liberals ... they will appeal and win the appeal again and the trademark is still in effect until a final ruling. Until a majority of the public or some high profile players speak out against the name they will keep it. The Redskins are still one of the most valuable franchises in the world and people who compare it to the Sterling case dont understandd the difference between changing your owner and changing the name of your brand.

Hmmm........

GaussianCopula's Avatar posted:

German neocon idiot: "The invisible hand of the free market dictates that all southern citizens should be ground into tasty Leberwurst!"

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

GaussianCopula posted:

Yes, all the people comparing it to the Sterling case like

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I for one am convinced. Now that I know the Redskins are one of the most valuable franchises in the world, their name being racist no longer matters

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Looking forward to the Washington Injuns or whatever because there's no way that dumbass dude isn't being dragged kicking and screaming into being a decent person.
Snyder is so out of touch I expect a press conference where he says, "l have come to the realization that our team name is no longer acceptable in modern society. That's why I am announcing that effective today the franchise will be known as the Washington Hitlers. ... What? You don't like that either? Christ there's just no pleasing you people is there?"

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

GaussianCopula posted:

The Redskins are still one of the most valuable franchises in the world and people who compare it to the Sterling case dont understandd the difference between changing your owner and changing the name of your brand.

Like (basketball reference incoming) New Orleans just did from Hornets to Pelicans?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Probably Magic posted:

Like (basketball reference incoming) New Orleans just did from Hornets to Pelicans?

How does a franchise changing it's name because it relocated (although with about a 10 year delay) compare to changing the name of one of the oldest teams in the NFL that never changed it's name or city?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So what basis do you have for believing the trademark will be reinstated? Because it happened last time based on a technicality that has been worked around this time? Or are you sticking with the "The Redskins are incredibly valuable and thus can do what they want" theory?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Intruder posted:

So what basis do you have for believing the trademark will be reinstated? Because it happened last time based on a technicality that has been worked around this time? Or are you sticking with the "The Redskins are incredibly valuable and thus can do what they want" theory?

The "technicallity" was that the people brining the complaint did so after the trademark was in effect for quiete a long time and the courts ruled there is some kind of statue of limitations on filling complaints. Now they looked for younger indians that were underaged until very recently and hope to avoid this problem that way.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Intruder posted:

German neocon idiot: "The invisible hand of the free market dictates that all southern citizens should be ground into tasty Leberwurst!"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think if the will is there, the Redskins will find a way to work around this and protect their brand one way or another. "If the will is there" is the operative phrase though, because there's going to be a point pretty soon where they decide it's not worth the headache anymore.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Meh, all a big red title means is "I pissed someone off who has more money than sense" most of the time

You, of all people Fiz, should know that

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Frackie Robinson posted:

I think if the will is there, the Redskins will find a way to work around this and protect their brand one way or another. "If the will is there" is the operative phrase though, because there's going to be a point pretty soon where they decide it's not worth the headache anymore.

Are you unfamiliar with the ownership history of one dan Snyder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

GaussianCopula posted:

How does a franchise changing it's name because it relocated (although with about a 10 year delay) compare to changing the name of one of the oldest teams in the NFL that never changed it's name or city?

Washington's original name was Braves you dummy.

Edit: small correction. They were the Boston Braves first then adopted current racist name then moved to DC.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 18, 2014

• Locked thread