Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

http://www.wimbledon.com/

The fortnight begins Monday, June 25 and ends Sunday, July 6. TV coverage being at 7am ET everyday on ESPN, switching to ESPN News 11:30am-4pm ET due to the World Cup, but you should just watch on http://www.watchespn.com/. Wimbledon also has complete radio coverage available on their website and app.

Here are the draws:

Top 8 Men's Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes)
Novak Djokovic 7/4
Andy Murray 10/3
Rafael Nadal 9/2
Roger Federer 11/2
Stan Wawrinka 20/1
Grigor Dimitrov 20/1
Tomas Berdych 33/1
Milos Raonic 33/1

Top 8 Women's Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes)
Serena Williams 5/4
Maria Sharapova 5/1
Petra Kvitova 12/1
Li Na 16/1
Simona Halep 14/1
Eugenie Bouchard 14/1
Victoria Azarenka 16/1
Agnieska Radwanska 16/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I would love to have one of the umpire jackets and Panama hats, but they're too drat expensive. I mean, look at this hot poo poo:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If Nadal gets knocked out before the semis, it's Fed's tournament to win since Djoker and Murray will wear each other out in their semi.

Serena is probably pissed about Roland Garros so I expect her to blow through the tourney, winning without dropping a set.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kyrgios just broke Rafa in the 4th, already up 2 sets to 1.

He's going to win this :stare:

That means Fed has a free run through to the final, and will probably beat the survivor of the Djoker/Murray semi.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Annnd boom goes the dynamite.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The women's draw is a complete mess. The best we can hope for is Bouchard/Lisicki in the top half, Safarova/Kvitova in the bottom half.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jack's Flow posted:

Just saw those clips from the Serena/Venus double. I hope Serena's alright.
I've never seen someone roofied in real life, but that's what I imagine it would be like.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ssbbud posted:

I don't want to get my hopes up too much but it would be cool if Federer could pull this one off now with Nadal out.
Fed will have no trouble against Stan on grass. Raonic beat Kyrgios in straights in the 1st round at the French Open last month, and while Nick is playing better, I expect Raonic to advance in 4 sets, only to fall himself in 4 sets to Fed.

Murray and Djoker will be tired from what I expect will be a 5 set, 4 hour+ epic. Congratulations Fed on your 18th major.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 1, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I would love to see Lisicki win the title. Bouchard and Halep are still young and can play on other surfaces, but Sabine is useless off grass.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bouchard and Halep up a set and a break each. Bring on the men already.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Will & Kate in the royal box :allears:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jose posted:

Who are the upcoming tennis players I should know about? I only really follow it during the majors and obviously followed Kyrgios yesterday.
On the men's side, we have:

Milos Raonic is 23 and has been around for a few years, but he's really improved recently with a QF at the French Open and a SF here. He has arguably the best serve in the game.

Grigor Dimitrov, also 23, has the same deal of a breakout year with 3 wins at smaller tournaments, QF at Australian Open, and SF here. He has the most complete game of the ATP Young GunsTM. He'a also famous for being drat sexy and Maria Sharapova's boyfriend.

Nick Kyrgios turned 19 in April, so this is his first full year beyond the junior level. He has all the tools to win a grand slam but isn't quite ripe yet.

Raonic is probably the least likely to be a big name in the future because he doesn't move that well.

On the women's side, we have:

Simona Halep, 22 and ranked 3, had a huge year last year, winning six (!) times. This year, she's won a smaller tournament, QF at Australian Open, final at French Open, and SF here. She had breast reduction surgery a few years ago, and it really was the right move because they were cartoonishly large.

Eugenie Bouchard, 20, is the next big thing in women's tennis. She won her first title in May and has reached the SF of all 3 majors this year. She's a hot, tall leggy blonde who speaks English natively and has a power game. Remind you of anyone? Hint: it's Grigor Dimitrov's girlfriend.

Simona has a solid game with great redirection but she has mediocre serve and power. Of course, the same could be said for Li Na who now has 2 majors, and Simona is 10 years younger. I expect her to win multiple majors.

Genie has a very robotic game. What I meant by that is her strokes are very snatchy, lacking a flowing smoothness. She also has a mediocre serve for her size, and in my opinion, doesn't actually have any weapons; it just appears that she does because she takes the ball really early, but this is a purely tactical matter that could eventually be exposed. Still, I expect her to win multiple majors.

There are a few other supposed up and comers on the women's side who've had some notable victories, including Garbine Mugaruza, Ajla Tomljanovic, and Madison Keys, but they have yet to prove themselves. The same praise was given to Sloane Stephens and Laura Robson, and they haven't done jack squat. To be fair, Robson has had a wrist injury for a year, but also, she's had a wrist injury FOR A YEAR and may never fully recover.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 2, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Roddick deserved that Wimbledon :(
Roger Federer: truly the greatest villain

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Prediction: a blond will win

Also hey Sheldon guy you are coming off just a little creepy there stalking our spectacular Canadian tennis person
Jim Parsons is gay, so that alone makes it different than the stereotype of a predatory neckbeard stalking a starlet.

Also they're actually friends. He was in her box against Cornet. Not all inter-gender attention is ominous.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

9am ET can't come soon enough :f5:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I mentioned before that Petra can just hit through Genie, and so far I'm looking like a tennis genius (which I am absolutely not).

Genie is being exposed as a reverse Raonic. She can take the ball early against weaker players but has no chance against big hitters.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wonder if this will lead Saviano and Bouchard to make drastic changes to her game. As long as Genie has to face a player who can hit through her like Petra, she'll never win a slam.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bagled. Absolutely embarassing for Genie.

Hopefully this is a wakeup call for her. The canned responses in interviews, the supposed focus and self-confidence, the notion that she has weapons, it's all fake.

She needs actual substance in her game and personality. She certainly has the physical tools to win multiple slams, but not without a major overhaul. Or if she gets a favorable draw.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fancyclown posted:

Well this is weird. Leaving court before ceremony. Why close the roof?
The women's and men's doubles finals follow this. Jack Nicklaus is actually in the Royal Box to see the Bryan brothers.

Will we see a Petra/Djoker double this year too?!?!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

T minus 1 hour till the biggest tennis event of the year! :woop:

Bilirubin posted:

saw the last three sets. Final set was tense; very happy for them!

eta: Pospisil and Nestor in Davis Cup doubles :getin:
If the men's doubles can play Bo5 final, so can the women's singles. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Supposedly Anna Wintour, legendary editor of Vogue was at the women's final yesterday and mentioned that a number of fashion houses are interested in Bouchard.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fed is secretly a goon

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Djoker is hugely fatalistic. No chance of winning now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sodium Chloride posted:

Federer's serve is gone...

as is the match :smith:

Roddick cursed Federer.
Well he won in 2012 so...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In case you've been living under a rock...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta9AXqLSrVQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Apparently this also exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D9kFgiaAaQ

edit: Also these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xT74EJ8vbw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt6cmbK-C0A

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 13, 2014

• Locked thread