Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

I should have known something was up when the words "MILF Hunter Presents" appeared on the screen between the Monolith logo and the Gamespy logo.

Yeah, Beckett is literally young enough to be one of her kids, Beckett is only in his early twenties if I remember correctly and Alma's technically Forty Six, if you count birthday's after death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JackNapier posted:

Yeah, Beckett is literally young enough to be one of her kids, Beckett is only in his early twenties if I remember correctly and Alma's technically Forty Six, if you count birthday's after death

Well, you get the choice of either counting birthdays after death or calling her a ghost zombie. It's up to you to decide which is more palatable to gently caress.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Well, you get the choice of either counting birthdays after death or calling her a ghost zombie. It's up to you to decide which is more palatable to gently caress.
I don't think it was an option for Beckett, but I have to ask, is it ever brought up in the next game that Alma basically decided the best material for the father of her next child is literally younger then both of her other children?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JackNapier posted:

I don't think it was an option for Beckett, but I have to ask, is it ever brought up in the next game that Alma basically decided the best material for the father of her next child is literally younger then both of her other children?

Not even once. It's obviously a major plot point that Alma is now impregnated with Beckett's psychic ghost baby, but nobody ever goes "Whoa, that's grody" or anything. Mainly because the third game literally has three important characters who aren't Alma (plus one villainous character who only makes occasional semi-hallucinatory appearances plus the final boss battle) and one of them never says a single word through the entire game.

What I'm trying to say is that the storytelling in FEAR 3 is poo poo and makes this game look like Fallout 3 in terms of amount of content.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 30, 2014

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Not even once. It's obviously a major plot point that Alma is now impregnated with Beckett's psychic ghost baby, but nobody ever goes "Whoa, that's grody" or anything. Mainly because the third game literally has three important characters who aren't Alma (plus one villainous character who only makes occasional semi-hallucinatory appearances plus the final boss battle) and one of them never says a single word through the entire game.

What I'm trying to say is that the storytelling in FEAR 3 is poo poo and makes this game look like Fallout 3 in terms of amount of content.

Wow, so I should stop eyeballing it every time it goes on sale then? Because that sounds absolutely horrible.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

JackNapier posted:

Wow, so I should stop eyeballing it every time it goes on sale then? Because that sounds absolutely horrible.

If you can get it cheap and want to see how the series ends yourself instead of through an LP, it's worth a buy. I got a used copy for my 360 for like, 11 bucks off of Amazon and I didn't regret it. The gameplay is actually pretty solid, even more if you have a second person for the campaign.

It's all a matter of personal taste though. If you think you can't handle the pretty much bare-bones, slightly-disjointed-from-the-rest-of-the-franchise story, then go ahead and watch an LP so you can just skip past the lackluster bits and not waste your money.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The gameplay is pretty good, especially if you have someone to play co-op with. If you're playing the FEAR games for the story, I really don't know what to tell you.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

1stGear posted:

The gameplay is pretty good, especially if you have someone to play co-op with. If you're playing the FEAR games for the story, I really don't know what to tell you.

I think the only one I ever played for the story was the first one, and it seems the third is more geared towards multiplayer, and the third seems more like its geared towards a multiplayer experience, and I really don't have anybody to play it with

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

F33333AR (I will never stop making fun of companies that put the sequel number in the title like that, gently caress you Driv Three R) was apparently made as a multiplayer cash-in first and a proper FEAR game second. All of the emphasis is on a co-op campaign or the many multiplayer modes, to the point where starting a single player game involves a "Launching" countdown because they built all the menus as a multiplayer lobby from the ground up and there's constant XP gain and challenge popups as you play and a score screen showing which brother did better at the end of each level. The game even has two endings, with the ending you get being entirely dependent on which co-op player did better.

The gunplay itself is pretty solid and it can sustain itself for one or two playthroughs on that, but it's not really worth anything more than a cheap purchase either used or as part of a package deal like a Humble Bundle. It has all the skillful storytelling and creepy horror moments of a $10 Xbox Live Arcade tie-in.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

And now the thrilling conclusion of the SnakeFist franchise.

Rebooted Series

In 1999 Warner was looking to add more blockbuster action movies to their roster of films. In exchange for funding the biopic Sam Houston, Hal Bouchard gave up the rights to the SnakeFist film franchise. Warner then spent two years assessing scripts and actors to fill the role. Russell Crowe was an early contender for the role, but bowed out of contention after the firm offers that rolled in after Gladiator became a megahit. In January of 2002 Warner announced Australian Kevin Gero had won the role. The move was widely criticized by fans of the franchise due to Gero’s boyish looks and blond hair. To appease fans Warner released Gero’s screen tests online February 18th of that year, showing Gero with short dark hair and using a gravely American accent. Original SnakeFist David Herbert praised Gero after a meeting with the actor in March, and Hal Bouchard remarked that Gero would be an amazing SnakeFist having sat in on the screen tests and having met with Gero several times afterwards.

Bouchard would receive an Executive Producer credit on the first movie, simply titled SnakeFist and released in 2003. The movie changed SnakeFist to be a CIA asset who worked in Iraq, Bosnia and “other trouble zones.” The plot begins with SnakeFist in handcuffs aboard a prisoner transport plane where the guards are taunting him in Russian. The film then spends half its runtime showing how SnakeFist was brought into custody after causing major property damage in Moscow chasing down Cyrus Johnson (Albert Sachs), an American domestic terrorist intent on starting a new Cold War between the US and Russia by carrying out a series of attacks on Russia and implicating the US government. SnakeFist catches and has a brutal eight minute fistfight with Johnson directly in front of the Kremlin. SnakeFist realizes all too late that by chasing Johnson he was playing into his hands and the Russians now had a CIA agent on the scene of two house bombings and a church fire, along with being part of the reason two school busses full of children went tumbling into a river and the killing of half a dozen corrupt FSB agents working with Johnson. SnakeFist commandeers the prisoner transport plane and returns to Moscow, wringing a confession out of Johnson and clearing the US government of any wrongdoing as Russia began drawing up plans to supply the Taliban with weapons to fight the US forces in Afghanistan.

The movie was a runaway hit, easily making back its $100 million budget over its first weekend in theaters and causing Warner to lock Gero into a five film contract. The rebooted SnakeFist would make $400 million before exiting theaters. Production on a sequel began immediately with writers Noel Ronsky and Michael Mulholsky returning and director Ellis Watkins agreeing to finish out a trilogy of SnakeFist movies. SnakeFist: Cold Snap was released in 2005 to critical acclaim and record breaking box office numbers. Kevin Gero grew a beard before filming started and refused to shave. Surprising many Warner executives it tested well and Gero would sport the facial hair in each of his appearances as SnakeFist from then on. It was noted that this was the first time SnakeFist movie had been shot in the snow. The film is known for two major sequences: a fight between SnakeFist and Bertrand Marceau’s (Simon LePaige) minions on a sheer rock face, and the fight at the very end of the movie with SnakeFist following Marceau’s blood trail in to a raging snowstorm to see the job done, only for Marceau to reveal he was wearing body armor and had lured SnakeFist into a trap. The last 20 minutes of the movie see SnakeFist and Marceau battling each other and descending the mountain via tumbles and falls. The film ends with SnakeFist collapsing next to the defeated Marceau and speaking the final line of the movie, “gently caress you,” before the credits roll.

SnakeFist 3: Ronin was another famous misfire in the franchise. It begins right after Cold Snap ends and SnakeFist is transported to Japan for experimental surgery to save his frostbitten limbs. To save him from the worst of the pain he’s put into a coma only to wake when the hospital comes under attack by the Yakuza boss Hideki Yutsu, who is missing a right eye and right hand. SnakeFist, weak due to skin grafts and the month long coma he just woke up from makes an escape from the hospital shot entirely in a bleary first person perspective that gave a number of viewers motion sickness. It is later revealed that SnakeFist trained for many years in Japan under Master Yoto Suzuki, who had also trained Yutsu. It is also revealed that SnakeFist was the cause of the missing limb and eye Yutsu sports, due to a fight for the affections of Rei, the Master’s daughter. The film ends with SnakeFist and a cybernetically enhanced Yutsu engaging in another battle for Rei that some fans pointed out was a shot for shot remake of the final battle in Highlander.

Ronin bombed with critics and had one of the lowest box office results of the entire franchise. SnakeFist actor Kevin Gero was apologetic during his press tour for SnakeFist IV: Johnson’s Revenge three years later saying in an interview with Men’s Health: “I really don’t know what we were thinking. Someone should have stopped us and asked if we really needed a montage of SnakeFist learning how to be a ninja set to ‘Highway to the Danger Zone’ in 2007.” Hal Bouchard would go on record stating that Warner Brothers insisted on the Japan angle during the scripting of the movie in 2005 due to the wave of Japanese horror movie remakes doing well in US theaters and a “Fundamental misunderstanding of why they were popular.”

SnakeFist IV: Johnson’s Revenge saw an older and tougher SnakeFist. Returned to the US after the events of Ronin SnakeFist resumes his work with the CIA. In an early scene he shows the harder edge he’s gained after the death of Rei in the previous movie by nearly beating a suspected bomb-maker to death with a hotel Bible. Now considered a loose cannon his superiors consider shipping him to a quiet field office for a few months, but the hijacking of every broadcast frequency in Washington DC delays that. Abel Johnson, younger brother to Cyrus Johnson, has launched a full out assault on the nation’s capital to free his brother who is being held in a secret facility below the Pentagon. SnakeFist is sent out to defeat the younger Johnson, but DC has become a complete warzone as the city’s police, the Army and Air Force all attempt to fight back the mercenaries and “Patriots” Johnson has rallied to his side. Johnson’s Revenge is often compared to a full on war film; featuring major set piece battles, last second air strikes saving the major characters, hastily assembled detention centers and a focus on the horrors of war. The final sequence sees SnakeFist flying an F-35 taking on the Johnson brothers who are attempting to flee DC in a stolen F-18. Many aerospace observers pointed out how impossible the fight was as the F-35 not only took off, but shot something down.

Sadly, SnakeFist IV was the last film in the franchise. Director Ellis Watkins would die tragically in a suspected drunk driving accident in 2011, ending Kevin Gero’s interest in the franchise. Gero would request to be released from his contract only a few months after Watkins’ death and Warner allowed for it. While the fourth rebooted SnakeFist movie had been a major box office success, combining domestic and foreign numbers to be slightly under $1 billion in total ticket sales, Gero was never seen as a major part of the success by the Warner board. Outside of SnakeFist Gero hadn’t had much success with other films like the romantic comedy Men and Women and Dogs and the horror film Half Past Dead. Gero himself would state that he only took on roles like those because of the insane shooting schedule on the film franchise, with one movie often shooting only a few months after the previous one had debuted. Either way, Warner didn’t see him as necessary to continuing the franchise and began a search for the third SnakeFist.

Development Hell
Warner had far more trouble re-casting the SnakeFist role than they had originally believed they would. Many established actors saw the role as career poison, many younger and lesser known actors were busy attempting to helm multi-million dollar superhero movies. Despite the immense popularity of the character Warner had to issue a casting call for the part in late 2011 as all actors approached turned down the role when told they would be required to make five movies if they accepted the deal. Mark Scapa; a Youngstown, Ohio native new to acting would win a screen test based on his audition and clips from a short film he had appeared in earlier that year, but Warner would reject him for the SnakeFist role and instead cast him in Magic Mike instead, but his scenes were cut.

Finding a new SnakeFist was especially difficult as there was no script for the next movie. Several drafts had been started and rejected by Michael Mulholsky after Noel Ronskey left to write for Marvel Studios, drawn like many of the young actors Warner was attempting to court by superhero movie money. Working with a small staff as the head writer Mulholsky reviewed what he claimed were “A pretty bad mix of terrible and bad. One went through a bunch of rewrites and became The Chernobyl Diaries if you want an idea on how bad.” With no script and no actor to coalesce the project around the SnakeFist franchise was adrift. Warner attempted to court Hal Bouchard to try to give some direction to the project, but in November 2012 he officially retired from film after revealing a doctor had recently diagnosed him with stomach cancer.

In January 2013 Kevin Gero posted on Twitter that Warner had approached him about playing SnakeFist again in a one picture deal, which he turned down without hesitation. In the two years since leaving the franchise Gero had starred in False Seer for two years on ABC as Detective Ron Erway, a man given the power to see past events from the perspective of objects he touches. However, the visions aren’t always accurate as a dark power manipulates and obscures some of the visions leaving Ron to use his wits and detective skills to ultimately resolve each case. Gero had reportedly found the work more to his liking and was more interested in working small film projects than big action movies.

In March of 2014 Warner announced that Ethan Hawke had been in talks for a two picture deal, but the talks quickly fell through after Hawke’s agent requested a percentage of the gross in addition to $10 million per film. Warner walked away from the talks as they didn't think Hawke was worth something close to $100 million over two movies if the gross percentages were as high as they were projected to be.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Many aerospace observers pointed out how impossible the fight was as the F-35 not only took off, but shot something down.

Shots fired.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

chitoryu12 posted:

Shots fired.

Not from an F-35.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Kinda like how Star Trek films alternate between "good" and "bad" depending on whether they are even or odd, the third film in a SnakeFist franchise tends to be the worst.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Kinda like how Star Trek films alternate between "good" and "bad" depending on whether they are even or odd, the third film in a SnakeFist franchise tends to be the worst.

It even applies to the comics!

You ever picked up "Snakefist Meets Archie"?

Issue one, surprisingly not crap.

Issue two actually sells the premise, blending high stakes counterterrorism and Riverdale based hijinks like they were made for each other.

Issue four is just amazing. Great carnage, some real laughs, all plot threads dealt with. Really brings it all home.

Then there's issue three.

Delayed for a year, new fill in artists on every page that make you wish you were reading Liefeld's Snakefist 'Ongoing' (Only one issue ever published, and thank heaven for that.), the reveal that Jughead was behind everything, the weird censoring...

And the bit with Weatherbee's severed head? Just way over the top.

I think they even removed it from the trades.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

It even applies to the comics!

You ever picked up "Snakefist Meets Archie"?

Issue one, surprisingly not crap.

Issue two actually sells the premise, blending high stakes counterterrorism and Riverdale based hijinks like they were made for each other.

Issue four is just amazing. Great carnage, some real laughs, all plot threads dealt with. Really brings it all home.

Then there's issue three.

Delayed for a year, new fill in artists on every page that make you wish you were reading Liefeld's Snakefist 'Ongoing' (Only one issue ever published, and thank heaven for that.), the reveal that Jughead was behind everything, the weird censoring...

And the bit with Weatherbee's severed head? Just way over the top.

I think they even removed it from the trades.

I'm sure it would go over better now, seeing as how they're literally killing off Archie in one of the comic universes and leaving him lying in a pool of blood.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to think the F-35 scene was a statement by the makers to take SnakeFist in a bold new direction of science-fiction. Sadly, the community-written SnakeFist Versus Martian Brain Eaters was among the many, many rejected scripts for the fifth movie; one of the responses it generated was concern that the way the protagonist was written, he'd be naturally immune to the alien threat.
SFVMBE still lives on in the heart of many of the nerdier fans and the original script is a treasured relic of the community.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Lazyfire posted:

Many aerospace observers pointed out how impossible the fight was as the F-35 not only took off, but shot something down.

At least it didn't land on a carrier after its scene was over, right? They wouldn't go that far into unrealistic territory, right?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Speaking of Snakefist V scripts there was one in particular that we should focus on.

Simply titled Snakefist V this script sees a focus away from Snakefist as the titular character and instead focus on Sergeant John Jackson, new recruit in SFOD-D or Delta Force and Snakefist would've instead taken the role of his squad leader.
The plot of the movie would've begun Snakefist's squad perform a raid on a ship on a rainy night in the Bering Strait which would reveal it containing two nuclear devices, with one missing, followed by the ships subsequent sinking by unknown attack aircraft from which the squad would barely escape from.
The plot would then take the Delta team on a wild goose chase across the globe as they seek to stop the madcap scheme of a former Russian general turned fanatic Imran Zikhov who seeks to restore his homeland's glory and someone Snakefist encountered before.
Highlights of the script include an intense flashback sequence where it would be revealed that Snakefist was the one who blew off one of Zikhov's legs in a botched assassination attempt in the Ukraine as well as a massive shoot out at a missile base leading to a wild car chase across a Russian mountain highway involving a Mi-24 Hind and several armoured vehicles. In the end Zikhov would die by Snakefist's hand from a thrown knife before seemingly perishing from his wounds but leaving the true ending ambiguous to the viewer.

At least two sequels was on the slate as well but sadly the script was never picked up by anyone due to the declining interest of the genre but rumors persist that the script was at some point fell into to the hands, through various unknown ways, of a pair of video game developers and was modified and made into a major hit even if the creators to this day refuse to acknowledge the rumour. However critics have pointed out several similarities between the script and various scenes of the game such as the assault on an enemy stronghold searching for the son of Zikhov that ends with a chase on foot through a derelict town.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I have to go and organize the last flurry of SnakeFist stuff and I think I'll be closing the thread soon. Thanks everyone for participating/posting/watching videos. I had fun doing this as always and was glad to have an active thread through a game I was worried, based on Cooked Auto and Kadorhal's attempts at LPing the game, was not going to turn out well.

If you missed the videos I put a playlist of all the videos together.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lazyfire posted:

I have to go and organize the last flurry of SnakeFist stuff and I think I'll be closing the thread soon. Thanks everyone for participating/posting/watching videos. I had fun doing this as always and was glad to have an active thread through a game I was worried, based on Cooked Auto and Kadorhal's attempts at LPing the game, was not going to turn out well.

If you missed the videos I put a playlist of all the videos together.

All these SnakeFist entries remind me of when Warner tried to cash in on the franchise by aping Seth Grahame-Smith's parody mash-up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Like many SnakeFist cash-grabs, it was ill-advised and poorly executed. The end result was a disgraceful parody of Goethe's Faust simply titled SnakeFaust, and written by recent college graduate, Darren Levy.

The book's plot begins with a retired SnakeFist having difficulty adjusting to civilian life. Frustrated with his new existence, he attracts the attention of the Devil. Bizarrely, he is named MeFistTopheles in the novel, for seeming no other reason than to capitalize on a "Fist" pun in the character's name. The two decide on a wager, after MeFistTopheles bets SnakeFist that he can bring joy and satisfaction to his life. This joy arrives in the form of Major-General Huggles'n'Snuggles, a young tabby kitten. The Major-General and the SPCA that he is adopted from are destroyed in part due to MeFistTopheles' deception, but also due to SnakeFist's inability to deal with his anger when he is cut off by an aggressive driver in the SPCA's parking lot. The first act of this literary farce leaves SnakeFist to wallow in despair and grief.

The second part has SnakeFist being armed to the teeth by Helen of Troy, who urges him to wage a one-man war on MeFistTopheles and his Infernal Legions. The book makes a poor attempt at conveying a training montage before SnakeFist shoots his way to Hell using a rocket launcher mini-gun. The ensuing rampage ensures that all traces of Hell and MeFistTopheles are destroyed. Rather than being grateful for SnakeFist's actions, the Angels arrive from Heaven to chide and scold him for upsetting the balance of Heaven and Hell. SnakeFist's moment of celebration is ended when they inform him he will never be allowed into heaven to see Major-General Huggles'n'Snuggles. An enraged SnakeFist then uses the same rocket launcher mini-gun to "rocket jump" to Heaven where he defeats the Angelic Forces single-handedly and forces God to surrender the Kingdom Of Heaven. The books ends with SnakeFist sitting on God's Divine Throne while an angelic Major-General Huggles'n'Snuggles sleeps in his lap.

Entertainment Weekly reviewed SnakeFaust terribly, giving it a grade of F−. Library Journal recommended the novel "...for any person who wants to witness the death of literature". The AV Club gave the novel a grade of F, commenting that "(w)hat begins as a gimmick ends with the reader wishing to be lobotomized". The New Yorker's Macy Halford, however, called the book's estimated blend of eighty-five percent Goethe's words and fifteen percent Levy's "one hundred per cent fantastic"; while she admitted that the mash-up may have insulted anyone who had ever read the source material, she still found Levy's writing to be brilliant, singling out a passage in which SnakeFist prepares to kill a 7-11 attendant over an overheard slight.

As of April 9, 2009, SnakeFist was, shockingly, number three on the New York Times bestseller list. On the same morning, the book moved on amazon.co.uk's bestseller list from the 300s to 27th place. Before the book was published in the United Kingdom, the book required a second printing. Experts blame the phenomenon on "mouth-breathing, moon-faced simpletons who wish to see humankind's collective achievements destroyed in favour of sugary pop-music and bad HBO programming."

Sally fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 5, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anyone gonna talk about that SnakeFist-themed restaurant they opened in Times Square with that Food Network celebrity chef? The Times ripped it a new one. Something about toasted marshmallow tasting like fish.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chitoryu12 posted:

Anyone gonna talk about that SnakeFist-themed restaurant they opened in Times Square with that Food Network celebrity chef? The Times ripped it a new one. Something about toasted marshmallow tasting like fish.

I've been there. It's poo poo. But hey, that's what they get for throwing in with Guy Fieri.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Blind Sally posted:

I've been there. It's poo poo. But hey, that's what they get for throwing in with Guy Fieri.

Never trust an Oompa Looma I say, especially not their food.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

biosterous posted:

Anyone want to watch something like SnakeFist but with way more dumb poo poo? Asylum has got you covered, check it out:
SnakePunch: Chill is an action/horror Z movie released direct to DVD by The Asylum on August 15, 2005.

Continuing The Asylum's notoriety of capitalizing on major films with low-budget films with similar titles and plots (hence the term "mockbuster"), many aspects of the film are inspired by the film SnakeFist: Cold Snap which was scheduled for theatrical release three days later on August 18, 2005. However, this film contains slightly more violence and gore than its counterpart and also includes some supernatural elements. It is also much more slowly paced than SnakeFist: Cold Snap.

Contents [show]

Plot [edit]
Although taking the same basic idea from SnakeFist: Cold Snap (an action movie hero attempting to defeat a villain in an arctic environment), the background story of how the protagonist ends up in Siberia is completely different.

In the movie, writer Eric Forsberg created a Chukotkan shaman who has put the protagonist SnakePunch under a Tengri curse which causes his blood to be "filled with the heat of the Sky-Father". In order to survive with his increased body temperature, he must travel to Siberia where a powerful Kamchatkan shaman can lift the curse. Unfortunately, this Kamchatkan shaman is being held prisoner by Bernard Marcel, the leader of an evil private military company. SnakePunch must defeat Marcel and his minions without allowing his body temperature to rise too high.

Eventually, and inexplicably, SnakePunch transforms into a yeti and destroys Marcel's headquarters in a violent rampage. The transformation is reversed by the Kamchatkan shaman, and the curse is lifted.

[...]

Reception [edit]
When reviewed by Variety magazine, it was described "neither undiscriminating action fans nor connoisseurs of high camp will find much bite in this latest direct-to-video product from The Asylum."

Scott Foy, reviewing the film for Dread Central wrote "How the hell do you produce a rip-off this dispirited?"

biosterous posted:

Seriously it's hilarious to watch a C-grade kinda flabby dude running around shirtless in the snow, screaming about how hot it is and how he's gonna tear everyone limb from limb. And then he does!! And the effects are SO BAD and it's amazing :allears:

If you see this in a bargain bin check it out, it's easily worth a few bucks

I got lazy and pretty much stole the Snakes on a Train wikipedia page. If I could art I'd try to put together a DVD cover too, but that's far outside my skillset

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Things have been a bit hectic at work and at home this week, so I just now got around to putting the latest batch of SnakeFist entries into the third post.

I actually had plans to do a couple more SnakeFist things besides what I posted:

SnakeFist: Le Coeur de la Ville is what happens when the foreign language rights lapse on SnakeFist and the government of Quebec finances a French language movie about a character calling himself SnakeFist fights crime through Montreal culminating with a fight at the top of the Olympic Tower. A running joke sees SnakeFist sitting down to some Poutine only to flip the table over and give chase to one lackey or another he spots. For some reason SnakeFist has six digits on his right hand, one of which is clearly prosthetic and it never comes into play during the movie.

SnakeFist in Video Games. Being a popular action movie franchise entitles you to your own line of video games. SnakeFist appeared in a Super Mario ripoff so through they didn't bother changing out the mushroom graphic, a isometric Zelda style game and a top down racer all published by ljn on the NES. While the movie franchise was on hiatus Acclaim got the license for a few years and made Super SnakeFist for the SNES in 1993, a Streets of Rage style game that was actually pretty good. He would also appear as a hidden character in Mortal Kombat 3 because why not? By 1996 Acclaim was gearing up to release SnakeFist: First Person, a Goldeneye clone, but the company had trouble getting the huge number of explosions going off at any time to render and before they could iron out the issues the company folded. Warner Brothers Interactive held the license by default after this and looked into two concepts around 2003 with developer Monolith. One was a first person beat-em-up that let you use environmental objects to fight your enemies and would have been based off SnakeFist II: The Tower. The second was a shooter with a heavy focus on melee and gave SnakeFist the ability to slow down time thanks to a cybernetic implant. Warner passed on these two ideas which became Condemned: Criminal Origins and FEAR. After Warner bought Monolith the developer could finally make reference to the inspiration behind the FEAR franchise and added several SnakeFist posters to FEAR 2.

Yes, the entire point of putting the franchise at Warner Brothers was because I wanted to try and figure out why someone spent all that time on making SnakeFist posters in FEAR 2.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

It all comes full circle :allears:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
SnakeFist 4 lyfe!!!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
A little late, but I only just remembered something from 20 years ago. I was on the second leg of my term abroad in Spain, and had just moved to Valencia. There was a local Catalan-language station that would air dubs of all sorts of cartoons (my intro to Dragon Ball), and there was one that really stood out.

It was called B.R.O.F.I.S.T. (Badass Recon Outfit, First Insertion Strike Team), and near as I could tell, it was a mishash of at least three different cartoons. I recognized vehicles designs from Spiral Zone, and Wheeled Warriors, but the characters all seemed to be original characters drawn and animated solely for the show. Think MMPR, or the second "season" of Robotech...only worse.

I bring this up because nothing in the little I could understand (my Spanish was good, but my Catalan was non-existent) gave me any reason to think the show was in anyway related to SnakeFist - except for the live-action intro for every episode that was hosted by a f-list actor dressed to the t like actor in the original SnakeFist. He was never referred to by name, and only ever talked about the characters in B.R.O.F.I.S.T. as his "compatriots", or "fellow warriors".

It was weird. It was terrible. It had nothing to recommend it, but it was a cartoon, and 19 year old me was a bit of an idiot.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Also a little late, but I actually want to talk a little about the game. You mentioned the effect beyond the elevator doors where Alma attacks you with boxes being like a STALKER anomaly, but that's not the only STALKER parallel this game has to offer. There are equivalencies to the creepy crawling melee enemies, the invisible enemies, the replicants (in the psychic commander sense, not the clones of Alma's children sense), the massively powerful psychic entity, the quest to the center of a long-dead nuclear power plant, the massive industrial complexes you traverse, and of course the Soviet propaganda wall art.

Maybe you mentioned it early in the thread and I forgot, but the later it got in the LP the more I wondered if you were going to compare them. The goofy drawings and hand-animation aside, Snake Fist Terry's video briefing on your endgame goal had me drawing all of these parallels right there.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I'm going to go ahead and close the thread tonight. I really should have done it last week, but I'm incredibly easily distracted and more or less forgot I should do so. I figured if anyone has any last minute comments or questions it would be best if I gave some warning.

I had a lot of fun doing this, surprisingly. I definitely rushed some of the sections rather than linger to take in sights and sounds to avoid dragging things on too long, and thus missed a couple points; people like Kadorhal, who posted all the intel in the game, helped fill in the gaps there. And thanks to everyone who posted SnakeFist fiction that I collected in the third post, I thought it was one of those things that would have like five posts total and die out by page three.

If you are interested in other LPs to watch (many of which I can't put into the recommendations thread as you aren't supposed to recommend stuff you make/are involved in):

your evil twin
Darkest of Days

Singularity

Nine-Gear Crow/Blind Sally
White Knight Chronicles I&II

Panzer Dragoon

The Killzone Trilogy

dscruffy1
Batman: Arkham Asylum

InterrupterJones
Army Men: Sarge's Heroes Series

pins
Frolf means frog golf and a bunch of LSD

Tin Tim
Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Got any plans for more future LPs?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Thanks for the Lp, dude! In the end, it was a much better shooter than I expected, but I still think the plot behind the FEAR games is retarded and not my cup of tea at all :shrug:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SageNytell posted:

I have the next one picked out, actually. It will be a while before I'll even have a test video because I need to beat the game twice for what I'm planning and the commentary is going to be a bit differently structured than the average LP. All this to make Medal of Honor 2k10 a watchable LP.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Heh, if anyone can make the modern Medal of Honor games palatable, it's you.

Are you actually a writer in real life? I love the plot you came up with for the 2003 Snakefist reboot and think that could be a successful Hollywood action movie. I also like the thing you describe in Snakefist: Cold Snap where the villain uses a blood trail to lead the hero into a trap.

Thanks for the shout-out to my LPs! I'd particularly recommend Singularity for anyone that enjoyed FEAR/FEAR 2 as it has similar "shooter with spooky stuff" aspects. And gory dismemberment.

And I'd like to double the recommendation for Tin Tim's LP of Mace Griffin. It's wonderful. And both Lazyfire and I had the honour of being guest commentators.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SageNytell posted:

If crow and I can make it that far, we're gonna get Lazyfire to guest commentate for some Killzone 2 vids.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

your evil twin posted:

Heh, if anyone can make the modern Medal of Honor games palatable, it's you.

Are you actually a writer in real life? I love the plot you came up with for the 2003 Snakefist reboot and think that could be a successful Hollywood action movie. I also like the thing you describe in Snakefist: Cold Snap where the villain uses a blood trail to lead the hero into a trap.

Thanks for the shout-out to my LPs! I'd particularly recommend Singularity for anyone that enjoyed FEAR/FEAR 2 as it has similar "shooter with spooky stuff" aspects. And gory dismemberment.

And I'd like to double the recommendation for Tin Tim's LP of Mace Griffin. It's wonderful. And both Lazyfire and I had the honour of being guest commentators.

Singularity is great because you clearly care about it a ton by going and grabbing every little scrap of background detail and going and doing some great subtitle work on top of that.

I'm not a writer of any nature, unless endless corporate e-mails about the diameter of a flange or SST vs. mild steel makes me one. A friend of mine and I have been batting around terrible get rich quick movie scripts we could write for the last decade so I have a lot of practice coming up with really dumb ideas that your average movie studio would spend money on. Someday we're going to get Juggalo Summer off the ground. It's the tale of a simple monster truck mechanic called Alien that wants to be the best backyard wrestler there ever was and details him training for the big match at Gathering of the Juggalos.

Think of it as Rocky for that kid with ICP tattoos in high school.

Blind Sally posted:

If crow and I can make it that far, we're gonna get Lazyfire to guest commentate for some Killzone 2 vids.

And I will be there for that day.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Lazyfire posted:

I'm not a writer of any nature, unless endless corporate e-mails about the diameter of a flange or SST vs. mild steel makes me one. A friend of mine and I have been batting around terrible get rich quick movie scripts we could write for the last decade so I have a lot of practice coming up with really dumb ideas that your average movie studio would spend money on. Someday we're going to get Juggalo Summer off the ground. It's the tale of a simple monster truck mechanic called Alien that wants to be the best backyard wrestler there ever was and details him training for the big match at Gathering of the Juggalos.

Think of it as Rocky for that kid with ICP tattoos in high school.

Seriously, find yourself a copy of Writing Movies for Fun and Profit (warning, Amazon link) by Robert Ben Garant and Thomas Lennon of The State and Reno 911! fame. It's hilarious and actually full of useful advice. Especially if you don't need to write anything more artistic than Balls of Fury, Night at the Museum or Herbie: Fully Loaded. Just think of all the "$TACK$ OF MONEY!" that Snakefist trilogy is gonna be earning ya.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I call dibs on writing the third one. :getin:

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!

Lazyfire posted:

I have the next one picked out, actually. It will be a while before I'll even have a test video because I need to beat the game twice for what I'm planning and the commentary is going to be a bit differently structured than the average LP. All this to make Medal of Honor 2k10 a watchable LP.

I've played a bit of MOH 2K10 and I quit because it bored me. I enjoyed the poo poo out of your Battlefield LPs, so I can't wait to see how you tackle MOH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

bodz5150 posted:

I've played a bit of MOH 2K10 and I quit because it bored me. I enjoyed the poo poo out of your Battlefield LPs, so I can't wait to see how you tackle MOH.

I beat MoH in 4 hours. On normal. Using only pistols. The first time I played the game. It isn't long or difficult by any means.

Thanks again, everyone. You'll notice the thread finally closed because I remembered that it was a thing I needed to do.

• Locked thread