Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Wario Land: The Shake Dimension Wario Land: Shake It! is the 6th game in the Wario Land series. It was released by Nintendo for the Wii in 2008, 7 years after the previous game in the series, Wario Land 4. The game was developed by Good-Feel (Kirby's Epic Yarn, Yoshi's Woolly World) with art and animation done by the anime studio Production I.G. (Attack on Titan, Neon Genesis Evangelion, 'Tales of' series.)

Much like the Wario Land games that came before it Wario Land: Shake It! is all about getting paid. As we platform and fight our way through all the levels we'll be collecting coins, diamonds and many valuable treasures! Such meager rewards won't do for a man like Wario though. Instead, we're after something much greater: The Bottomless Coin Sack, the pride and joy of The Shake Dimension! Unfortunately some big jerk called The Shake King beat Wario to it and already stole the bottomless coin sack. Not just that, he even imprisoned the shake dimension's natural residents, the Merfles and their ruler Queen Merelda. We have to save the money! ...Oh and the Merfles I guess. :shrug:

Wario Land: Shake It! is a really fun 2D platformer but what truly stands out about it is the presentation. The animation by production I.G. looks incredibly crisp and gives the game a fun, playful nature. The soundtrack by Tomoya Tomita also adds a lot to the experience, giving a different vibrance to each stage.

Really, the whole game is just great. Let's give it a look!

:siren:The Videos!:siren:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren:The Treasury!:siren:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 10, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Been wanting to see this one. The animation is so good that you'd think you were playing a cartoon.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Well this is out of nowhere and totally appreciated. This was one of the Wii games that I totally adored, and it hooked me onto the Wario series as a whole.

Also the music in this game is rad. This is gonna be great.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I can't find it, but this game had the best youtube page ever for it's advertisements. The whole page was flash based and the words would jingle around and everything would physics itself around. It was the first thing I'd ever seen or heard about the game, and it guaranteed that I would buy it.

Also dammit Jordan, if you had asked I would have been in on this. I love this game. OH WELL.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The Thread was destroyed,
but hey, what can you do?
I think the merfle being named "Merfle" is sort of like having the name "Guy". Also like how Toad is a member of the toad race and Yoshi is a yoshi.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

TheJayOfSpade posted:

I think the merfle being named "Merfle" is sort of like having the name "Guy". Also like how Toad is a member of the toad race and Yoshi is a yoshi.

Aww geez that's way better than the joke I came up with! :saddowns:

kalonZombie posted:

I can't find it, but this game had the best youtube page ever for it's advertisements. The whole page was flash based and the words would jingle around and everything would physics itself around.

Yeah, it doesn't look like this is up any more. Someone did record what it looked like for posterity, at least!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLJzo72vnzI

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
I freaking loved this game, but I wish the motion-control bits were better-integrated with the rest of the gameplay. As it is though, it's a worthy addition to the rest of the Wario platformer games with an incredible attention to detail, a great soundtrack, and a fun sense of humor.

Thanks for the LP! :dance:

SWMadness fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 21, 2014

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
I'm from the hood stoopid what types are facts of those?

If you grew up with hoes in your zapatos,
You'd celebrate the minute you'd be havin' dope.

gently caress critics,
You can kiss my whole rear end in a top hat;
If you don't like my videogame you can press fast forward.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Awesome, this looks like a fun ride. You two have some pretty decent banter going too. Looking forward to seeing this!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
One video in, and I'm already sold. :allears: This game looks amazing. (That avatar's pretty nifty too.)

Given your previous LPs, I'm assuming this is a 100% run. Or do the later stage challenges get a bit ridiculous?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Although, I might mention, you might want to relevel the sound, especially if you guys are mentioning how good it is, as I was unable to hear more than 90% of the background sound/music.

Not a complaint, just a suggestion.

I am also completely amazed by how the whole thing is done visually. Just like playing a cartoon, and it has made the best impression on me of any Wii title I have seen to date, so cheers on the LP!

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Did someone say booty?

:yosbutt:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Wario platformers are some of the best Nintendo produced games ever, such a shame they haven't made another one since this. Looking forward to the LP.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
I really loved Kirby's Epic Yarn, so I was disappointed when I never could really get into this game. Looking forward to seeing the stuff I never got to!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Samizdata posted:

Although, I might mention, you might want to relevel the sound, especially if you guys are mentioning how good it is, as I was unable to hear more than 90% of the background sound/music.

Not a complaint, just a suggestion.

I actually worked really hard on trying to get the audio balance to sound right and in the end I couldn't really do it. The problem is that the sound effects are all REALLY loud and there are no audio options in game to turn them down. If I were to turn the game sound up even a notch every time Wario does a dash attack it would overpower us talking. :ohdear:

Yapping Eevee posted:

Given your previous LPs, I'm assuming this is a 100% run. Or do the later stage challenges get a bit ridiculous?

The later stages get really hard, but that has never stopped me before! :getin:

dijon du jour posted:

Did someone say booty?

I was going to make this gif myself to put it in the second post but I'm glad someone beat me to it! :allears:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 21, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So why does Wario do a Sonic on the loading screen?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Having played and seen most of the earlier Wario Land games I can already guess that Captain Syrup will be backstabbing Wario at some point.

The shaking mechanic reminds me of Mischief Makers, a good sign.

Game looks like real fun! I'll be following for sure.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Carbon dioxide posted:

Because time is money. :colbert:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

dijon du jour posted:

Did someone say booty?

This should be an avatar.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This should be an avatar.

30 kbs can't handle that much butt

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Trust me, you'll find out in the next video!

XavierStudios
Feb 26, 2011

I am physics and so can you!

JordanKai posted:

Trust me, you'll find out in the next video!

Gotta Go Fat™

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Awesome, I've been hoping for an LP of this for a while now. One of my two favourite Wii games, tied with Excite Truck. Solid gameplay, fun music, excellent art direction.

quote:

The Wario platformers are some of the best Nintendo produced games ever, such a shame they haven't made another one since this. Looking forward to the LP.
I'd argue Kirby's Epic Yarn plays more like a Wario game than it does a Kirby game, what with no deaths, basic enemies not even hurting you and damage just being a loss of money.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I came for the booty and I wasn't disappointed.

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

Zain posted:

I came for the booty and I wasn't disappointed.
I hope that the amount of booty increases exponentially with every video, the amount of "shaking it" I've seen so far has made me optimistic.
Also I lied about not linking the Game and Wario trailer. Wario speaking in full sentences just kinda rubs me the wrong way, although it's still a decent enough trailer. Maybe it's just me, who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSY98rBOca0

Sartorius
Dec 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Do the treasures in this game have descriptions? I know they had them in Master of Disguise (the only Wario game I've played) and they were all pretty well written.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

If it's called the Shake Dimension, isn't the Shake King its rightful ruler?

Sartorius posted:

Do the treasures in this game have descriptions? I know they had them in Master of Disguise (the only Wario game I've played) and they were all pretty well written.

They do, in fact. The descriptions pretty good in this game too.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

If it's called the Shake Dimension, isn't the Shake King its rightful ruler?

Princess Peach is the rightful ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom, not King Bowser.

Kings don't rule in the marioverse, they are always evil. Princesses rule.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Carbon dioxide posted:

Kings don't rule in the marioverse, they are always evil. Princesses rule.
But we're trying to rescue a queen in this case. What is she? Pure Neutral?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 22, 2014

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Sartorius posted:

Do the treasures in this game have descriptions?

Yes they do! I intend to show the descriptions for all the treasures we get off after each world we beat.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Sorry about this episode taking so long. I wanted to have it up on Monday but the forums being down combined with my own laziness made it take a lot longer than that! Anyway, today we're going through the rest of Area 1 and we're going to face the first boss. Let's go!

Also, I updated the second post and made it into a treasure list! The game has short, amusing descriptions for all the treasures that I'll be putting on display here after every world!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
C'mon, the boss is obviously a pun on Shake, Rattle and Roll.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Is Moonstone supposed to be listed twice on the Treasure List?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Is Moonstone supposed to be listed twice on the Treasure List?

No it is not. Woops! :downs:

(I fixed it)

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
This game does look amazing. How much more difficult does the game get or is it fairly easy all the way through?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Alternate title for this thread: It Must Be Money ('Cause Jam Don't Shake Like That)

(This one actually clocks in at under 30kB, if anyone wants a tiny Wario avatar)

Also, does the thread link in the most recent video's description not actually link to the thread for anyone else?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Zain posted:

This game does look amazing. How much more difficult does the game get or is it fairly easy all the way through?

If it is anything like Epic Yarn, the main game is easy, but achieving the highest score is pretty challenging.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

An Egyptian themed pyramid and a Mayan pyramid in the same world? That's outrageous!

Alcohol? I think it's a pressured bottle of nitrous oxide.

Hold on to this. Later you can use it to evolve one of your party members.

Very true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
How the hell did I not notice the UI on the sides of the level back when I played this? That would've meant I didn't have to keep pausing to check the mission list! Ugh!

• Locked thread