Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i'm going to the islanders draft party and i am extremely stoked because the draft is my favorite thing of the year every year

i'm really hoping that if the islanders flip their pick they get something really good back and i am hoping that if they do not that they draft dal colle unless bennett or reinhart drops to them. if they stretched a little and picked ehlers or nylander though i wouldn't be upset with those picks at all.

please don't pick ritchie or perlini or virtanen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i guess virtanen is somewhat encouraging because he can skate and isn't your typical overrated grinder who can score in junior for that reason but i really strongly doubt he has top 6 upside. could be a very good 3rd liner but that's all i see.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

The Bunk posted:

So these are basically the three names I keep hearing for Carolina at 7. Should I be upset if this happens?

if ehlers and nylander and fabbri are on the table, i would be. sometimes you will get a good power forward out of the players that project that way in the first round but kids who just score a ton in junior, even if they have no defensive game to speak of, have a way better chance of panning out.

another good one to keep an eye on is kevin fiala who has been projected all over the first round - i've seen him top 10 and i've also seen him in the late 20s.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Paulocaust posted:

Also if that was the point he was trying to make, he's a moron.

he's eighteen years old.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

omfg

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i am extremely happy with the isles' picks. dal colle was almost a given if they were keeping the pick and he was absolutely the right pick at 5 (although i wouldn't have scoffed at ehlers or nylander) and ho-sang is the icing on the cake.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
it's all about how well it translates at the pro level and whether his coaches will give him enough leeway to play the way he wants to (this has not been the case with kabanov as a pro but he hasn't really earned it either). for a late 1st though it's an excellent pick especially seeing as things look to thin out talentwise very quickly as the 2nd round progresses

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Verviticus posted:

Jason Botchford @botchford · 45m

Benning: never considered a Russian "want to get this team to a meat and potato style"

lmao you have the worst gm in the universe

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Number19 posted:

This is going to be the late 90s Canucks all over again

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Poonerman posted:

don cherry syndrome is alive and kicking

NOW, LISTEN, LET ME TELL YA ABOUT THIS KID HERE SHERBARK, YOU'RE NEVER GONNA GET THIS KINDA BALONEY FROM A GOOD KID FROM ONTARIUH

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Jedimastafez posted:

Also when did Ho Sang say cocky things that were quoted and used by teams as proof that self confidence is bad? Was it in interviews?

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/24/the-curious-case-of-controversial-nhl-prospect-joshua-ho-sang

this talks about stuff he said in interviews but he also has some quotes that come off as cocky in there. he stated that the quotes were used out of context and seeing as steve simmons wrote this article i don't doubt that in the slightest. simmons and his probably-manipulative journalism notwithstanding, it's a pretty good read. even out of context nothing he says in there bothers me, if he's a football player that's exactly the poo poo you'd expect him to say.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

So who should the Rangers be drafting today?

id be happy to pick demko or nedeljkovic or kahkonen if they're on the board, we need goaltenders in our system. we should also load up with some D too though, probably. if we were to pick 2 goalies and the rest D with our picks and hope that something sticks that would probably be an OK strategy. there don't look to be a lot of solid upside forwards left when we pick.

nicholas aube-kubel is an interesting name though. didn't score a ton but had excellent p/60m. he's ranked 40th on the ISS list so he'll probably be gone by when we pick but if he's on the board we should grab him

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

dyn posted:

Even if the things he said in the article were true, the teams passed on him for their own reason. I don't think a bunch of scouts and management would judge a dude based on a lovely article by Steve loving Simmons. They interviewed the kid too and he probably rubbed them the wrong way by his answers.

oh absolutely, i'm sure he gave off some of the same impression with his interview answers and teams had already made their decisions about him prior to the simmons article but it's stupid to say that you absolutely won't draft a kid because he's brash and self confident and then assert that that's somehow going to make him unable to perform as a part of a team when there's been absolutely no indication of that in his play

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
take one of the finnish goalies i guess rangers. or aube-kubel if he's around. i have no idea about anyone else on the board. mckeown is still around right?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
well there goes everyone i knew

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
please someone who doesn't suck rangers

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
a goalie i haven't even heard of. whatever.

although when i heard the pick called in the background of these idiots talking i thought they said keegan iverson so at least it wasn't that

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
the goalie the rangers just picked only played 19 games this year lmao

apparently he's a great puckhandler and as such is the Antiqvist

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

gently caress taking a goalie in the 2nd round goddamn

end of the 2nd round is a crapshoot anyway, there wasn't anything else exceptional on the board. i liked the finnish goalies better than the one we picked though.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

MaoistBanker posted:

I like the NHL draft because of the intangibles - if past history is to be believed chances are good that 2 or 3 future all-stars are still sitting in their seats.

yup.

(detroit will get all of them)

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
pretty surprising that brayden point is still on the board, no? he was projected as a first rounder for most of this year

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i just looked at brayden point's numbers and im pretty sure he scored way more than anyone else still available. even if there's something legitimate in his game that has him falling this far he's a good choice at this stage. fall to the rangers or isles please

is there a decent draft tracker online anywhere that's actually live because it takes forever for them to get around to the picks on tv and it's really stupid that they dont have a thing on the side of the screen or something

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
please don't pick point jersey

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

ThinkTank posted:

Brayden Point had nearly twice as many point as the second highest scoring player on his team. He is still falling because he's 5'9". Big Russian man will never step onto an NHL ice surface.

prospect camps are held on nhl ice surfaces!

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

MaoistBanker posted:

Hey, wanna know what youngsters think of playing in Vancouver? (As if yesterday didn't make it obvious enough)

“Hopefully I can appeal to fans up there, make them love me instead of hate me.” -- Thatcher Demko

i think the whole luongo thing is going to end up being even more of a disaster than it already is. every hockey player in the world knows about that, who would be excited to go there after that poo poo?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

MaoistBanker posted:

As a quick aside, considering the amount of media training these kids get and how they are programmed to answer questions how the gently caress did this kid get away with saying this? It's like selecting that troll answer in NHL '14.

i think that his point was more like "you never know where you're going to go and i would have been excited to go anywhere" but yeah that sure did sound bad

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
2 more picks until point falls to the isles come onnnnnnnn

dal colle ho-sang and point would be such a great draft, i mean that's basically 3 firsts considerng where point was projected

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

MaoistBanker posted:

TOR acquires Roman Polak!

STL gets Carl Gunnarson.

Uh, whatever.

lmao that's a loving HORRIBLE trade for toronto, gunnarsson is so much better than polak

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Verviticus posted:

Jason Botchford @botchford · 18m

Demko likely needs surgery on both hips. There's an imperfection in his hip joint. Becoming rather common for goalies

lundqvist had this surgery fwiw. i mean, he was 10 years older than demko when he had it, but...

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
isles up please pick point please please please

e: a russian goalie? alright. hope point falls to the rangers then

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
huh this kid the isles picked was already playing in the khl last year, that's pretty encouraging. numbers aren't bad for an 18 year old in a pro league.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
lol someone whose first name was matheson just got picked

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

a false posted:

a goalie i haven't even heard of. whatever.

although when i heard the pick called in the background of these idiots talking i thought they said keegan iverson so at least it wasn't that

OH FOR gently caress'S SAKE

e:

A big strong power winger who is not scared to throw his weight around and do the heavy lifting on a scoring line. He is at his best fighting for loose pucks and battling for space in front of the opposing net. Does not possess the highest skill level. (November 2013)

gently caress off

a false fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 28, 2014

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
cool we picked a guy named mantha

who has no offense

gently caress

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
isles you already picked a bad toews once, come on

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
hooray back to back rangers picks incoming! will they be bad? probably!

alright i kind of like that goalie that's not too bad. that puts 3 interesting goaltending prospects in our system so hopefully one of them pans out.

and we've traded the next one. ok

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
nice the rangers drafted someone named Richard Nejezchleb

i'd get that on a jersey that sounds like a loving demon

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
the rangers just drafted a 20 year old who just played his first year of major junior this season after previously playing in the lovely canadian high school/college system

i still think the first round of this draft had a lot of talent in it but yeah it's not very deep past that lol

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
nice the rangers drafted a pure offensive D, about loving time

they're more or less following the strategy i said they should which is draft a couple goalies and a bunch of D

i still think keegan iverson is a lovely pick though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

fits posted:

someone take a flyer on edgars kulda, thanks

i'd be plenty happy if one of the teams i like were to do that

• Locked thread