Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
In as German support unit. I wonder what options I have :allears:

I'm curious, what do you count as support units (Or what does the game consider support units)? Are tank destroyers support or just regular tanks?

And do you have any experience with the Theater of War series? How does it compare with Combat Mission?

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm classing support as unattached Machine guns, Flamethrowers, AT guns - basically smaller units

Tank Destroyers are close enough to tanks to be in that category. depending on how many people are interested and what positions we have once the forces are picked, we can move people around.

We may end up with one a few tanks and 10 tank commanders, but huge numbers of infantry being needed. also, the mobile flak-wagons the Germans use are an odd case.

Gotcha, I'll gladly take up an AT gun until/unless a Wirbelwind ever becomes available. That or some random form of an SDKFZ half-track, god knows the Germans had a million different variants.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

simplefish posted:

Hi there, halftrack buddy!

I even don't mind giving up a T-34 for a jeep with a fat machine gun on the back.

Why settle for a machine gun when you could have...

THIS!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

unwantedplatypus posted:

This game is a lot like Company of Heroes right? I should be fine.

Not by a long shot. It's like comparing Counter-Strike to ARMA. However, you should still be fine.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

We'll just have to deploy the tank/submarine convertibles.

Not to mention the PzIII and PzIV both had deep wading gear as well. Not sure about the Panther though. What about the Russians? I don't know if they ever employed deep wading gear.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kenzie posted:

I think the Germans could have just avoided the IS-2s.

Smoke Smoke Smoke.

I will never understand why smoke wasn't lobbed for turns on end to scrap any possibility of using the corner of the woods where the IS-2's were.

Also, my HMG teams were boned from the start without any halftracks or movement. The fact that we kept so many infantry assets so far down south without having them attack the forest was weird.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

uPen posted:

Same reason the Germasn kept blundering into IS-2 line of sight even after they knew exactly where they were, high command was non-committal so there was nobody to say no don't do that.

Well for me its all hindsight at this point. I can go on about how this should've done that or "this would've been my plan".

Not having played this game ever, and not getting an answer if it's comparable with Theater of War, I preferred not stepping on any toes and just seeing how things go.

That plan went well! :downsgun:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

sniper4625 posted:

There's a certain amount of irony about Herp being exiled to the Germns after the messages he sent.

Herp: bringing Fascist and Bolshevik together at last!

He just wants to tear down the Berlin Wall... with a 2x4 and a ballpeen hammer.

And copious amounts of artillery

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Arty on the fords is not unsportsmanlike. That's like saying the IS-2 positions were unsportsmanlike.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mans posted:

If not then there's no reason why the German side should't be composed 100% of Stugs a.k.a. the best assault gun of WWII imo

Personal opinions mean nothing to the Hetzer

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

uPen posted:

88's, Tigers and King Tigers are all capable of taking out an IS-2 with a frontal shot.

"The Panther's 75 mm gun could penetrate the front of the IS-2's turret at over 1000 m, the drivers front plate at 1000 m and the hull nose at 1000 m."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

We still have about 3 spare slots for Soviet commanders.....

I'll take a vehicle slot if any are available

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Everything was fun up until the last week or so when player drop-outs starting hurting us really bad. Not knowing what current arty missions were and unit location/structure was more an annoyance than anything else (Judging by the posts in Soviet Thread).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

Also, I don't know how the Russians did it, but having one guy per tank worked for us insofar as Chunky Monkey was able to step in as a replacement for one of the infantry (or was that AT?) teams after a few turns of only commanding a very panicked tank crew.

One guy per tank worked for us as well. The problem was dropouts. It ended up, in my case, where I originally commanded 1 tank then 1 tank and 1 Inf Platoon, then 1 tank and 1 Infantry Company.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bacarruda posted:

Always nice to ruin someone's prophecy.

e: reading the observer thread, it's kinda funny to watch the goon consensus go from "the Germans are so boned it's not even funny" (a literal quote) to "maybe they have a chance" to "the Soviets are hosed.

People love to declare a winner way before its time. In a game with so many different elements at play like CM, I'm not surprised at how things can change.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Honestly, I cannot fathom the idea of using only information provided by Grey. As you saw towards the end in the German thread I started bitching because his maps didn't have near enough resolution to give accurate orders on the level I was wanting.

We were playing on Ironman Mode, Grey just forgot to mention it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TehKeen posted:

No guns, Melee/Grenades only, Final Destination

• Locked thread