Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This game is amazing. Probably the best thing is that it follows the design philosophy of teaching you about mechanics and stage gimmicks through the level design itself, which is pretty rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

Isn't there an enemy (not the bird things) in the airship level that acts exactly like the medusa heads? But as I recall there are far fewer of them than there tended to be in Castlevania levels themed around them, and there aren't as many insta-death pits around either so they aren't so annoying.
There were those bullet things in that level that were designed to knock the player into pits but I don't remember them being overused. They still caused me no end of trouble, especially in that bit where you're forced to race the rising camera, but even then I remember them as only being near the beginning where they're the only danger and it's more that I'm not that brilliant at that kind of challenge.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Unlucky7 posted:

I think we are talking about the Jim Sterling review here, and he did not say Medusa Head enemies so much as Medusa Head challenge (as in unfair and pure bullshit), and I don't see that myself after being halfway through the game.

He still had good things to say about the game in spite of that. And the worst review on this game has to be the EGM review, where he spends a paragraph on a soap box raging against the retro aesthetic as used in several games nowadays, and even then he grunts out "Yeah this game is good I guess"

I'm pretty bad at Mega Man and other games like that but I basically had zero issue with this game. There was a point in one level (propeller knight's, I think?) that I died at least 15 times, but other than that maybe 3 to 5 deaths per level. There's absolutely nothing comparable to the challenge in any pre-SOTN Castlevania games, much less a challenge on the level of the loving clock tower levels in a Castlevania game.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
The only thing I really had any trouble with were the dark screens with lightning. It's not a hard game to beat, especially with how generous the death system is.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ImpAtom posted:

There are enemies who bob around like that but they're clearly foreshadowed and not semi-random so they don't really fall into the same annoying niche.

Yeah, also, they don't spawn from the side you're closets to if you're really close to that side, which means you can always react to them. Or maybe they just stop spawning by the time you get to the side of a screen. Regardless, they're there but they aren't stupid and dumb and if they knock you down, it's just a screen down and not a game over so far.

Fecha posted:

The only thing I really had any trouble with were the dark screens with lightning. It's not a hard game to beat, especially with how generous the death system is.

Yup, this part was really annoying. I think making the character 100% visible during these moments would have been better. If you get hit by an enemy in a dark area, or hit one, you get knocked back and instantly lose track of where your character is exactly, which is kind of obnoxious. It might have been better if it happened later on in the game because you'd be much more accustomed to things like exactly how far the character gets knocked back when things get hit.

This was specifically very troublesome during the boss fight where about 50% of the game screen is just literally not seeable and you can't react to any form of pattern at all of the boss if he's just in a certain area of the screen.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 30, 2014

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

This was specifically very troublesome during the boss fight where about 50% of the game screen is just literally not seeable and you can't react to any form of pattern at all of the boss if he's just in a certain area of the screen.

I honestly had no problem at all with that part by just standing on the right platform. I could always either see him or see him move toward me in a way that I could judge when to swing.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Tip for anyone playing on a 120hz+ monitor: turn off vsync. I realized this when I literally could not hit the specter knight that my game was running at double speed.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

sleepness posted:

Tip for anyone playing on a 120hz+ monitor: turn off vsync. I realized this when I literally could not hit the specter knight that my game was running at double speed.

They mentioned they're working on this for an upcoming patch btw.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I kickstarted this game and am happy to say it owns everyone should play this game forever. Can't wait for the new characters.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Airship level so frustrating :emo:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

MrTheDevious posted:

Airship level so frustrating :emo:

Those flying guys that come out of nowhere and blow you off the stage :argh:

Good music though!

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
It's not surprising to me why I like this game so much. I found these carts going through a box of random stuff while packing for a move. I don't even know how long I've owned these things, at least 20 years.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Just finished this game today (mostly) and I can safely say I haven't had more fun with a game in a long time. When I died I didn't get upset, I just kind of laughed and went 'Oh no!' and kept playing. I'm so hype for the future content and characters.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

ImpAtom posted:

The voting happened, it was Plague, Specter and King who won IIRC.

Man, how did Treasure Knight come in dead last? Do people *not* want to hookshot around like crazy?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Hows the game selling? Or do will we not know for a while?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

Hows the game selling? Or do will we not know for a while?

Well, keep in mind a good chunk of the people playing it now 'bought' it a while ago via Kickstarter.

The Steak Justice posted:

Just finished this game today (mostly) and I can safely say I haven't had more fun with a game in a long time. When I died I didn't get upset, I just kind of laughed and went 'Oh no!' and kept playing. I'm so hype for the future content and characters.

The extra characters can't get here soon enough. NG+ wasn't enough for me, I need more.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Man, how did Treasure Knight come in dead last? Do people *not* want to hookshot around like crazy?
I remember that vote being difficult because they all sounded quite interesting, even with only the images and descriptions. I think the only exception was the Black Knight because he's essentially Shovel Knight Mk. II.

I think I put the Enchantress at top billing, purely because I thought it would be the most interesting thematically to play the main villain.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Anyone know what happens if you die to the Troupple King twice?

I did it once in NG+ just to see what happens and he got super mad at me and gave me a clear warning, and I didn't wanna lose out on Ichor- especially in NG+ so I didn't do it again.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

He just tells you not to do it again.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I've only finished King Knight at this point but my god I love this game.

Also look at this mans swagger:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

No one can outrun the reaper

Edit: Super late but posted a code earlier for the file screen, what it does is:

It's mole knight with a 3 minute timer
Drops aren't randomized
You have Dynamo Armor and all Subweapons
It's a score attack thing, see how many points you can get.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 30, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I hope they never fix this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Steam version just got an update:

•Now you can save to the cloud! Steam saving error should no longer display. All of your current progress will transfer over on next game start.
•No Feat should go unnoticed! Added an option to the Feats menu which allows you to sync previously unlocked Feats to your Steam Achievements with the F4 key.
•Additional controller support. Thank you to everyone who submitted their devices! - http://yachtclubgames.com/2014/03/steam-controller-support/
•Direction inputs can be bound to multiple buttons. Just press more than one input at once. Intended for players who wanted to map Shovel Drop to its own button.
•Removed an “empty” Song Scroll from Clockwork Tower which could never be collected or turned in.
•Fix: The following Feats not unlocking in Steam Achievements: “I’m Alive”, “Hurry Up”, “Untouched”, and “Shovel Economy”
•Fix: “Halfway” Feat unlocking when re-clearing a stage.
•Fix: Black Knight ignores damage during Plains intro. For some players, there was a small window of opportunity to Ground Spark which could cause Black Knight to go off script.
•Fix: Sparker Feat not unlocking when defeating Black Knight.
•Fix: Player and Encounter Map movement halting the game under certain vsync/video settings.
•Fix: Monitors running higher than 60hz running at double speed or faster
•Fix: Some Boot up crash repairs for Steam

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

•Fix: Monitors running higher than 60hz running at double speed or faster

Hahahahah oh my god

I was wondering why this game was so loving difficult.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Difficult? One jump was unclearable.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

quakster posted:

Difficult? One jump was unclearable.

Which part? I made it to clockwork tower playing on 144hz which had to be at least double speed now that i'm playing it normally.

it's loving hilarious how easy this game is now oh my god. i'm so dumb.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

This really is the perfect game for 3DS. It's looks awesome on the small screen, the DS functionality is nice (quick inventory management), and I can take it with me. Seriously, I've only completely a few stages but love how much personality it has.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AngryGuy posted:

Which part? I made it to clockwork tower playing on 144hz which had to be at least double speed now that i'm playing it normally.

it's loving hilarious how easy this game is now oh my god. i'm so dumb.
The second green slime ball jump was undoable on some refresh rates.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
After defeating the black knight I really wanted that shovel mega buster ability. Tell me I can get that later in the game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Jesus, Propeller Knight's stage can go gently caress itself. Boss was annoying, but the stage was just awful, even with the propeller blade to keep you aerial. Although the game must be doing something right, because that and Alchemy Knight's stage are the only ones that I haven't really enjoyed so far.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
God drat this game is good. Bought it from the Humble Store, but wanting to pick it up on 3DS and Wii U to support the developer more.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Goddamn is Treasure Knights level music so loving GOOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynLNyLH8MbY

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

J&!JSMP

Looks like a filename to me if I ever saw one. Start a new file with this name for a little fun :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Steam version just got an update:

•Additional controller support. Thank you to everyone who submitted their devices! - http://yachtclubgames.com/2014/03/steam-controller-support/

I really hope my NES USB controller works now :pray:

Edit: It does! Although the buttons are reversed of what I'd like :haw:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 30, 2014

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

J&!JSMP

Looks like a filename to me if I ever saw one. Start a new file with this name for a little fun :v:

how are you finding these?

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
This game is loving stellar, holy poo poo. I can't wait to play more. loving buy it, this has no place being off the Steam best sellers list.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Zaggitz posted:

how are you finding these?

Mighty Number 9 gave that password out

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

J&!JSMP

If I activate this, it says that feats will not unlock. Is that only for that game or for anything I play?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

QPZIL posted:

If I activate this, it says that feats will not unlock. Is that only for that game or for anything I play?

Just for that save game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I really hope my NES USB controller works now :pray:

Edit: It does! Although the buttons are reversed of what I'd like :haw:

You can customize the controls.

• Locked thread