Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Finished New Game+ about a hour ago or so. Also the gold armor isn't useless- in fact it has a ton of uses!
You do mario 64 flip jumps, you sparkle when you jump, using that useless catapult makes shovel knight land gracefully with fanfare and best of all King Knight praises you after the boss rush :buddy:

Also someone was asking about the thing in tower 2 on NG+ You alternate between bombs and chicken. I had to do this without ichor and christ it's hard

Edit:

Someone also asked about the last 5 songs, They're all in the final boss stage, in the place where the background is pure black walk to the left instead of the right and you get em all

Edit 2:

Maybe you guys should make a file named IM&SGC14

Maybe

So is there anything more to it than just a time attack of Mole Knight's stage? I killed him before the timer was up and it doesn't seem to have any significant difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Half of Dracula posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be other modes, playable boss knights, etc? Do I have to beat New Game + to unlock that stuff? Or maybe complete Feats?

They are being introduced later in free content patches.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is there any way to start on NG+ hard mode? Beginning with all the relics kinda trivializes a lot of the difficulty upgrades.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can confirm game ownage status.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

So, thanks to stretch goals on the kickstarter, we're going to be getting not one, not two, but THREE campaign playable Knights of the Order of No Quarter. As far as I can tell, the voting hasn't happened yet, so who are you guys hoping for? Personally, I think Propeller Knight, Treasure Knight, and King Knight would all be fun.

The voting happened, it was Plague, Specter and King who won IIRC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stink Terios posted:

I wonder what they're gonna do with King Knight since he's by far the most boring one to the point that the Kickstarter was on the lines of "why did you choose him? You could have gotten Propeller instead you crazy people".

I assume he's going to be Dan-like and completely suck and have a lot of joke moves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SkeletonHero posted:

The design notes during the vote said that he'd build a style meter by being stylish, which he could then use to be even more stylish, and could also spend money to cheat.

King Knight owns.

That does sound pretty own, actually.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ferroque posted:

Wait what? Where?

Go talk to the woman back in town who promised to give you a great treasure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Niggurath posted:

So has anyone figured out why yet that once you get a music sheet once that sometimes the page will reappear again? Like it doesn't seem to give money or anything, and it doesn't seem to be all of them....so it seems a bit weird.

The replacement music sheets are semitransparent. It just lets you know you got it already.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Niggurath posted:

But I know I got them when they aren't there as well? I don't know, it was a bit confusing to me but I guess I see the point. Still the game is a lot of fun so far and it's in a good area between challenging and rewarding. I still find it funny that one of the few negative reviews I've found so far for the game has been about the 'medusa head' nature of the enemies; it's pretty well telegraphed when an enemy is coming and off to avoid it.

Yeah, there are no medusa head enemies in the game at all. Everything is super well telegraphed and relics give you a bunch of options for getting around them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

Isn't there an enemy (not the bird things) in the airship level that acts exactly like the medusa heads? But as I recall there are far fewer of them than there tended to be in Castlevania levels themed around them, and there aren't as many insta-death pits around either so they aren't so annoying.

There are enemies who bob around like that but they're clearly foreshadowed and not semi-random so they don't really fall into the same annoying niche.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ah. Jim Sterling has become less of an asshat in recent years but he is still pretty Bad At Video Games, so that makes sense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

Hows the game selling? Or do will we not know for a while?

Well, keep in mind a good chunk of the people playing it now 'bought' it a while ago via Kickstarter.

The Steak Justice posted:

Just finished this game today (mostly) and I can safely say I haven't had more fun with a game in a long time. When I died I didn't get upset, I just kind of laughed and went 'Oh no!' and kept playing. I'm so hype for the future content and characters.

The extra characters can't get here soon enough. NG+ wasn't enough for me, I need more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

QPZIL posted:

If I activate this, it says that feats will not unlock. Is that only for that game or for anything I play?

Just for that save game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Anchor trivializes several bosses and the Propeller Sword may as well be a "win the game" button.

Man, the Relics are so good. Except Amulet Coin.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tracula posted:

What does the amulet coin even do? It says you can get great rewards or somesuch but far as I an tell you just bounce it back and forth off of enemies.

If you kill an enemy with it they drop gold. I guess it'd be okay for farming gold maybe? Not very good general use for the most part except against stuff you could trivially kill anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Okay so uh, I love this game to bits and think it's the best thing ever.. but the airship was a huge piece of poo poo. The level design for this game has been so good up until this point, how on earth did they think this level was a good idea? I died probably 20 or more times just between the second-to-last and last checkpoint. Instant death spikes is just the least fun gimmick ever, and has always been the low point of Mega Man so why design a whole level around it? Ugh.

Rest of the game still owns though, so you should probably buy it :colbert:

Your Phase Amulet allows you to pretty much nullify instant-death spikes and the item you get in that stage makes precision platforming a breeze.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Beat the game. Loved it, except the final boss which was probably the most frustrating and single-handedly the worst boss battle I've played in the last ten years. It nearly spoiled the rest of the game. A shame the game decided to end on that worthless garbage. Wouldn't be so bad if you actually gained the height needed on the jump to hit the enemy's weak spot more than half the time and all its attacks didn't do a shitload of damage.

These kind of lovely boss battle stopped being a thing for a reason, Yacht Games.

Did you not double-bounce on the shield? You can do that and then pogo on is head for huge damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, pogoing on the shield and attacking was how I did it but the range came up short most of the time. If I didn't have the dynamo armor that battle would have taken longer. The trouble with the boss is that up to the point where it start smashing the platform with it's face, it's a pain. Once I does the platform smash you kill it instantly by pogoshoveling it's head in. It wasn't fun or interesting, just frustrating until you get to that point. It didn't ruin the experience but it was just a dumb boss. I didn't like it at all.

If it came up short you weren't double-pogoing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

It wasn't difficult at all once I realized I needed a second bounce to get all the way up there, but I don't really understand why they didn't just make it so the first pogo does that.

It makes it genuinely easier to control it, I've noticed. Part of why the first 'jump' is so finicky is because it makes the control requirements tight. Double-pogo gives you that extra height to have some good control over it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I couldn't figure out how to get it the first time around, so now I get to do the stage all over again :shepface:

No you don't. Go back to the Relic guy in the first town and talk to him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Computer posted:

You need to finish the stage to keep it.

I don't mind though, with this game's generous checkpoints it's on the top of my list of games I want to "git gud" at and hopefully one day speedrun. After dying so much in this the first time around, it's totally fun to breezeha! through it this time.

No you don't. When you finish a stage without getting the Relic, the Relic guy in town will sell it to you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Computer posted:

This changes everything :aaaaa:

It is pretty sweet! It's a nice way to avoid people feeling frustrated because they missed something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SereneCrimson posted:

Well I just beat the final boss and the credits are rolling.

I got the final boss in one go,but the fact that the main threat for both phases were instant-death pits irks me. I'm still pretty sour on that.
It really wasn't a tough battle to win based on damage taken/time it takes to kill her though.

Overall, I really liked the game aside from Propeller Knight's stage. And some parts in the Tower levels.
It controls extremely well and the powers are fun and the bosses are excellent (even Polar Knight with his spike floors...)

Maybe I'm just bitter. Some of my favourite franchises (Castlevania, Mega Man, Mario) have some instant death stuff. But in Shovel Knight it felt way more out of place from the rest of the game. I didn't feel like I had adequate time to adjust to it in SK.

Overall, not really regretting the $15. I just wish there weren't those few little areas that bugged me so much.

Edit: 117 lives lost. Over half of those deaths were from Propeller Knights Stage + the Tower of Fate stages (Except for the final boss)

I'm not sure what you mean in that there are instant death pits in every level. One of the very very first tutorial things teaches you how to bubble-jump over an instant death pit. There's a scrolling section with precision platforming over instant death pits in Treasure Knight's stage. There is literally an entire gimmick level based around the instant-death spikes and using Phase Amulet properly to get over them. If you didn't have time to adjust to those sorts of things by Prop Knight's stage, I'm not sure how much more they could have given you.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 1, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SereneCrimson posted:

Yes, there are pits on every level, but they're not the focal point of the level design. I feel that Shovel Knight is way more about the combat than the platforming for the most part. And the levels are mainly designed so you have to deal with fighting the enemies on the terrain you're given (With pits being a hazard to take into account but not the prime threat)

I can't imagine how you can say this when the entire game is built around platforming. Even the primary combat mechanic (shovel bouncing) is effectively a platforming mechanic, rewarding you for landing properly on moving objects rather than anything else. It is 100% a platforming game and it teaches you every platforming technique you know long before you reach that stage.

You have to be actively ignoring the level design to say that Shovel Knight is primarily about combat. The huge majority of obsticles are platforming or level-designed based. Enemies are there to encourage platforming techniques or provide platforming obstacles except possibly the minibosses.

quote:

Propeller Knight's stage (as so eloquently put by The Devil Tesla/Your Computer) feels wrong amongst the rest of the game. It's very much not about combat, it's about knowing exactly what route you have to take, where to stand when the air current changes or knowing when the green enemies will try and blow you off the stage. with very little room for error. if you moved just a little too soon the air current will push you into a pit. It can be really unfair when you're doing your first playthrough and have absolutely no clue what to do, but the game expects you to know.

There, however, is 100% inaccurate. There is a ton of room for error and Relics give you a huge advantage which allows you to straight-up avoid consequences for a lot of mistakes. Phase Amulet alone is arguably crazy OP when it comes to these kinds of obstacles.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 1, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genocyber posted:

My first playthrough had 35 deaths but was ~6 hours. Guess I was more cautious.

Mine had 12 deaths and was under 5 hours. It really depends on how you play it (and how much you abuse the aforementioned relics.)

Ferroque posted:

e: Anyone else think the shovel charge is useless? I think it's cool and all but it slows you down way too much to be useful. It either has to slow you down less or do more damage, I feel like I can do more damage by shoveling on the ground, cancelling that animation with a jump, and shoveling in the air (which you can again animation cancel by landing)

Not even a little. It does hilarious amounts of damage, breaks barriers, and the Dynamo Armor lets you charge it by pogoing. It's not useful against every single foe but any time you have a moment to charge it is worth it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genocyber posted:

I guess. It's just a bit more colorful and detailed than what I'd expect out of an NES game, so I think more of SNES.

As for the charge, the manual one is garbage, but the one you get from Dynamo Armor is exceptionally useful. Can get good combos with that.

The manual one is one of the fastest way I've found to wreck enemy shield knights.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

How do you enter these? Are they PC only?

Make them your name when starting a new file.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will say that I wish armor recoloring was an in-game thing instead of a cheat code. I'd like something like the Joseph's Cloak from SotN for Shovel Knight, or at least a simple color-swap option that wasn't tied to armor effect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Volgarr is basically a modern GnG game.

Well poo poo, why didn't someone mention this when it was on Steam Sale?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

What does it do? Do you get a shoulder cannon or something? Hah. :v:

It just changes your armor color.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Awesome! posted:

is the 3ds version of this gimped at all?

It isn't going to get the local co-op when it is released IIRC but otherwise no.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How useful is the anti-knockback armor. It seems like it could save some time if you can use it to brute force through some areas, especially on normal since it tosses so much health at you. I'm not sure if that would overcome the huge damage spike from Dynamo though

ProfessorProf posted:

Are the chalices and fishing line really useful? I assumed the 3-minute dance from the troupple king made them a no-sale.

Being able to get a full HP/MP store or 10 seconds of invincibility would probably even it out. It'd make it a lot easier to speed through areas that otherwise slow you down. I'm not sure about the fishing line though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Just saw a tweet from Ken Sugimori (the Pokemon art guy), looks like he's been playing Shovel Knight on an imported 3DS:

https://twitter.com/SUPER_32X/status/484625858368245760

The caption says something like "The intermission screen looks like Golden Axe, but that guy isn't Death Adder."

EDIT: for the dude who missed the Volgarr sale, it's $3.99 on the Humble Store right now: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/volgarrtheviking_storefront

Hey! Much appreciated, thanks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CSM posted:

Seriously, not everyone is a jedi master at platformers.

You don't need to be a jedi master at platformers. Shovel Knight is really forgiving, not in the least because Relics exist that can trivialize almost every difficult part. Shovel Knight is a fairly low-difficulty platform which has a ton of checkpoints, infinite lives and items specifically designed to help people who have trouble with platforming. Beyond just making it so it saves after literally every screen I'm not sure how they could make it easier for you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CSM posted:

Sure, maybe it's easy for you. But that's not the case for everyone.

You're right, no game is easy for literally everyone, but Shovel Knight is specifically designed to be accessible to players of an incredibly wide skill level. It gives you a tremendous number of handicaps you can use to basically tailor the game's difficult to your liking. The level design is very clearly designed to give you 'safe' places to learn about upcoming challenges before throwing them at you. It gives such an overabundance of checkpoints that they gave you the option to destroy checkpoints as a sop to players who found them too excessive. It has multiple tools and relics which are specifically designed to make platforming challenges easier.

The Escapist article is straight-up bad. It has a poor understanding of gameplay design. it was discussed earlier in the thread and it's as bad an article now as it was then. It uses "medusa head" without actually understanding what that term means. It uses it as shorthand for "there are instant death pits" without understanding that instant death pits are not instantly bad game design.

Shovel Knight is easy enough that even my friends who are bad enough at platforming that they can't finish a Mega Man game can easily finish Shovel Knight. It is much easier than most NES-era platformers that it homages. (Although in an intelligent way by offering players optional ways to make the game easier or harder.) It is arguably too easy and this isn't from a "good at platforming" perspective.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 29, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

I'm pretty sure Medusa Heads' problem in the original Castlevania is that their wave path makes them hard to hit with the whip or thrown subweapons, not just "there are things that can hit you when you're jumping over bottomless pits". :raise:

This is also the first time I've ever heard the term "Medusa Head-ing" so I'm going to say it's not, in fact, common.

The Medusa heads have three problems:

A) The Sine Wave pattern makes them difficult to hit, especially without a subweapon.
B) They respawn infinitely and spawn during difficult jumping segments where they can come in offscreen without warning
C) Belmonts have little to no air control and thus are extremely vulnerable to knockbacks.

Literally none of these are true in Shovel Knight. That is why it's a poor argument.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. Volgarr, for example, is a really tightly designed game and a lot fairer than the games it's drawing from but the sort of person who can't handle Shovel Knight is gonna absolutely hate it, and then there are games like La Mulana that are designed specifically for people who enjoy the mystery of figuring out obtuse bullshit that simply won't appeal to a lot of people.

I think Volgaar's level design is quite strong but yeah, it absolutely is less accessible. Likewise La Mulana is completely FAQ city unless you're a specific kind of mindset.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

The main difficulty spikes with Shovel Knight are heavy platforming stages due to the instadeath pits/spikes and no real way to cheese them with items.

There are like 4-5 different items that allow you to cheese them. The Phase Amulet alone makes the bulk of difficult pits/spikes easier to get past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't want to know what kind of mindset it takes to get through the hell temple in La Mulana without a faq.

Shovel Knight is perhaps not as perfect as is being implied here, but it is very good and accessible considering what it draws inspiration from. If you went and played an old Mega Man game (or 9/10) they'd crush you if you're having trouble with Shovel Knight. Though I dunno why people seem so affronted over this guy finding it hard.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the guy finding it hard. The issue that he's going "It's hard because it's unfair" when Shovel Knight's strength is that it specifically avoids NES-era design flaws while honoring the design philosophy behind them.

A game behind hard is fine. A game being too hard to enjoy is fine. However there is a pretty significant difference between hard because of good design and hard because of lovely design. I enjoy the original Ninja Gaiden but it's a pretty strong example of the latter. There are places you can argue good design, of course, but Shovel Knight is a strong argument in favor of good level design.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 29, 2014

• Locked thread