Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Yo sorry if this has been asked already, but I've Googled all over for it and can't find anything.

Does the Wii U version get updated with the stretch goal content as it comes out, or will it end up being a less fully-featured port?

I'm willing to buy it on the Wii U just as soon as somebody can confirm that I won't be missing out by doing so.

Yes, it'll get all the free updates. The 3DS version will be getting everything but the local multiplayer mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Nice. RQQYUKIJ is the NG+ with no upgrades that whoever was asking about.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Oh my god, I love that if you fish up a fish in Treasure Knight's level, it swims around.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Butt mode best mode :butt::butt::butt:

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

minusX posted:

Butt mode best mode :butt::butt::butt:
I can confirm this.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How do you enter these? Are they PC only?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What a magical game.

Edit: Beaten, also you enter them at file select. Name your file the code.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Enter them for your name in a new save slot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Make them your name when starting a new file.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So can you enter more than one of these when you're starting a new file, or what?

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

So can you enter more than one of these when you're starting a new file, or what?
Tried doing this earlier with the butt and gold armor code. Only the latest code you entered works.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

butt mode :allears:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Kaubocks posted:

butt mode :allears:

It's also true!

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm guessing the two codes posted earlier are special since that list only has codes with letters in them.

These two:

IM&SGC14
J&!JSMP

Are there more special codes? :iiam:

Edit: Apparently, yes: J&2JMP! :ms:

quakster fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 3, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

-Butt Mode (nuff said)
-Double and Quad damage modes (pro!)
-Giant Mode: Shovel Knight is 2x as big! Hitboxes for him & weapons are increased accordingly as well but his head is invincible (:aaaaa:)
-All surfaces are slippery and slidey. Turning causes little water droplets to kick up around you as well.
-Upon starting a boss battle, both Shovel Knight and the Boss down to 1/2 a heart. Basically, sudden death boss battles.
-Enemies don't damage you (you still get knocked back and can insta-die) and you have permanent Treasure Ichor
-Armor color changes when you get hit
-Armor color changes when you jump or get hit :frogsiren:
-"Ducktales" mode, start with 99999 gold, can pogo off the ground, enemies do quadruple damage
-the gastronomer is missing

This poo poo is amazing. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will say that I wish armor recoloring was an in-game thing instead of a cheat code. I'd like something like the Joseph's Cloak from SotN for Shovel Knight, or at least a simple color-swap option that wasn't tied to armor effect.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's like they put in enough cheat codes to make up for the entire last three console generations :stare:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

BabyRyoga posted:

If you want a retro style 3DS game with less spikes, maybe you should try this game:

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/SJtqqz8DEFGO8CFAvPR98xJUY5vGOZk8

1001 spikes is really good and you should buy it after you finish shovel knight.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

quakster posted:

So I'm guessing the two codes posted earlier are special since that list only has codes with letters in them.

These two:

IM&SGC14
J&!JSMP

Are there more special codes? :iiam:

Edit: Apparently, yes: J&2JMP! :ms:

The explanation the guy gave (Forget where I got this from) was that the name you enter in generates a number code and the game checks to see if it matches up with any of the cheat codes, and that there are multiple combinations that can generate the correct sequence of numbers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Genocyber posted:

The explanation the guy gave (Forget where I got this from) was that the name you enter in generates a number code and the game checks to see if it matches up with any of the cheat codes, and that there are multiple combinations that can generate the correct sequence of numbers.

That makes sense, especially with so many options. The cheats are probably just flags, and there's some function that your name gets input into, which calculates a hash of the char values added together or some custom scheme. There's probably some security or error bits that have to match the sum of some other bits, so names that don't match don't have any cheats enabled and you don't activate some cheats on accident just naming your guy 'bob', but that would allow them to generate pretty much infinite cheats to any combination of factors.

Now the fun part is trying to reverse engineer the process from these values, that spreadsheet already has a lot of them... :)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7M1wrcUxQo

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Best cheat code:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just beat it, well worth the purchase, AAAAAAAAAA+ would play again

God drat glad it had a happy ending. :3:

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper

Ferroque posted:

Eh I disagree as well. Of course it blows early NES games like SMB out of the water, but later games that pushed the hardware like Megaman 6 and Kirby I think look better than this game in some places.

e: Anyone else think the shovel charge is useless? I think it's cool and all but it slows you down way too much to be useful. It either has to slow you down less or do more damage, I feel like I can do more damage by shoveling on the ground, cancelling that animation with a jump, and shoveling in the air (which you can again animation cancel by landing)

YCG made specific choices about what to keep hardware wise and what to ignore.
One of the devs discussing what parts would work on the NES/Famicom and which parts wouldn't: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
Whoever recommended Volgarr the Viking earlier in the thread, thank you very much. I'm getting my rear end kicked and loving it. If Shovel Knight is a modern NES game, Volgarr is a modern late-90s arcade game. The enemies won't take any loving around from you.

Edit: I meant to say late 80s, I'm dumb.

DiscoMouse fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 5, 2014

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
All those cheat codes reminds me of the days of the game genie for the NES.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DiscoMouse posted:

Whoever recommended Volgarr the Viking earlier in the thread, thank you very much. I'm getting my rear end kicked and loving it. If Shovel Knight is a modern NES game, Volgarr is a modern late-90s arcade game. The enemies won't take any loving around from you.

Volgarr is basically a modern GnG game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Well poo poo, why didn't someone mention this when it was on Steam Sale?!

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

GotDonuts posted:

All those cheat codes reminds me of the days of the game genie for the NES.

I wonder if there's an EA/Ubisoft mode where the codes do exactly the same thing, but cost money to use. And maybe strip out like three of the levels for you to repurchase as DLC for good measure.

Anyway, I just finished this. The life tally at the end was interesting as I lost like 19 lives on Propeller Knight's stage and somewhere between 0-4 on any of the others. It wasn't terribly hard, but it certainly felt out of place compared to the rest of the game. Like, if every other level is from Megaman 2, Propeller Knight's stage is from the NES Ninja Gaiden 2 (there's even a stage with changing wind patterns in that game). Not a bad stage exactly, but definitely out of place.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Almost Smart posted:

I wonder if there's an EA/Ubisoft mode where the codes do exactly the same thing, but cost money to use. And maybe strip out like three of the levels for you to repurchase as DLC for good measure.

Nah. You're thinking of DLC Quest.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Genocyber posted:

It's much more similar to Rastan than GnG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdOIMkXotw

Edit: Here's a game that is blatantly GnG inspired:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSSqXTOgNvI

Bleep fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 5, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Volgarr doesn't really play much like Rastan, though, which you should be thankful for. Rastan is not a good game and the ports/sequels are all terrible.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Finished this a few minutes ago. Great game, though I agree with the earlier posters who said the game is desperately cheapened by relics. I had much more fun in the second half when I stuck to the shovel.

PS Thanks for the sticky earlier Kewpuh, I would never have even seen this game otherwise, and that's terrible!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

This 'Fiesta Mode' cheat code for the game suddenly became much harder when I realized that you only get one random relic per level and chalices count as relics, so buying one beforehand accomplishes nothing but wasting your money.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Finally beat New Game+. Total time (includes both runs) 7:55

gently caress everything about plague knight in the boss rush in new game +
That messed me up more than anything else.
All other bosses have pretty easy patterns but he just destroyed so many of my attempts :(

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I loving love this game. I glad I backed it a while ago. Also goddamn I love when teams go out of their way to make cheat codes.

That list is glorious.

Totally doing the Vile Mode cheat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Best cheat code:

What does it do? Do you get a shoulder cannon or something? Hah. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

What does it do? Do you get a shoulder cannon or something? Hah. :v:

It just changes your armor color.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I'm probably in the minority here, but I feel like this is pretty mediocre at the end of the day. The only reason I really even think that is because it is so run-of-the-mill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is the 3ds version of this gimped at all?

• Locked thread