Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raqibmarvelous
Jun 26, 2014

On June 23, 2014, we celebrated Sonic's 23rd anniversary, and for the longest time, I wanted a reason to revisit my childhood favorite series. Over the years, Sonic has developed an extremely bad reputation. But unlike a large majority of fans, I thoroughly enjoy most Sonic games- even more recent games like Sonic '06. A lot of Let's Plays I have personally seen, end up bashing a lot of recent Sonic games- and I'm not saying that anyone's opinions are wrong, but I really wanted to provide full playthroughs of the entire series with a more optimistic look at the games. Of course there are small things here and there that I will complain about or nitpick, but overall, I really do love the series, and consider it my favorite series of all time.

As this thread progresses, I will add more and more playthroughs from both the main console series, as well as handhelds, and spinoffs. Another area I want to touch on is both original releases (such as going back to the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure), as well as remakes/remasters (such as Sonic the Hedgehog for Gameboy Advance and iOS/Android) to really compare and contrast on what is new, and what may have been better before being re-released.

The type of feedback I am looking for is a bit different than what I imagine most people look for when posting videos of this nature. For the longest time, I have had a fear of public speech. In school, I would avoid talking in front of class, and I would often hide myself in the back of classrooms. I feel like I have, for the most part, gotten over it- but I know that I still have to work on it just a bit. One thing you will notice is that I do have a very obvious speech problem- I stutter a lot, and slur my words very frequently. I guess what I'm really looking for is feedback on overall presentation, constructive criticism on what I'm doing poorly, and advice on improving.

Note that all footage is from my Twitch channel (https://www.twitch.tv/RaqibMarvelous), so while I am responding to a chat, I do try to focus on the recording as if it was originally intended to be produced for an offline audience.

[1991] Sonic the Hedgehog - Full playthrough as Sonic (Genesis)
[1992] Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Full playthrough as Sonic and Tails (Genesis)
[1994] Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Full playthrough as Sonic and Tails (Genesis)
[1998] Sonic Adventure - Sonic's Story (PS3) - Tails' Story (PS3) - Knuckles' Story (PS3) - Amy's Story (PS3) - Big's Story (PS3) - E-102's Story (PS3) - Super Sonic's Story (PS3)
[2001] Sonic Adventure 2 - Hero Story (PS3) - Dark Story (PS3, coming soon) - Last Story (PS3, coming soon)

Edit: Added Sonic Adventure 2's Hero Story

raqibmarvelous fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falaflame
Dec 27, 2012
cool channel icon man

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Nice I wanted to watch the whole sonic series again. Be back in 24 hours once I've watched everything non-=stop.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
No Sonic CD, 0/10, unsubscribed.

raqibmarvelous
Jun 26, 2014

FPzero posted:

Nice I wanted to watch the whole sonic series again. Be back in 24 hours once I've watched everything non-=stop.

I hope you enjoy it!

Sonic Adventure 2's Hero story should be up tomorrow.

I'll be live with the Dark / Last story shortly after that.

I'm debating on whether or not I want to start Sonic Heroes immediately after I finish Sonic Adventure 2.

Artix posted:

No Sonic CD, 0/10, unsubscribed.

I'm holding off on Sonic CD for now because I'm not very good at the game. I'm getting a practice run or two in before I upload a playthrough.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Hi there, friend!
They do say that one man's garbage is another man's treasure, so thanks for sharing with us some of your Sonic treasure. Happy 23rd, Sonic! :thumbsup:

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
Hello, welcome to Something Awful.

Thanks for this Twitch/YouTube dump. You really should have focused on the kittens first, because your audio isn't synced at all. You're freaking out at things well before they actually happen.

I hear your cats meowing a bunch though, and man, you better move fast to bring those cats under control!

RSCNyx fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 28, 2014

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Eh, it's been done.

raqibmarvelous
Jun 26, 2014

RSCNyx posted:

Hello, welcome to Something Awful.

Thanks for this Twitch/YouTube dump. You really should of focused on the kittens first, because your audio isn't synced at all. You're freaking out at things well before they actually happen.

I hear your cats meowing a bunch though, and man, you better move fast to bring those cats under control!

The audio delay is actually not something that is in my control. I use an external capture device (an Elgato) which guarantees a 2 second delay on my recording software (so I will always be "ahead" of my games)

I'm trying to save up to invest in building a desktop with an internal capture device, but dealing with 5 cats is so expensive ;_;

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Not seeing Sonic R. I only care about Sonic R.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

raqibmarvelous posted:

I'm holding off on Sonic CD for now because I'm not very good at the game. I'm getting a practice run or two in before I upload a playthrough.

I can see that you're a man who's willing to go the extra mile to please the customer. That's a good thing 'round these parts, but let me tell ya, you're going to need to sweeten the pot if you want to seal the deal. Toss in some Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic Spinball, or hell, maybe even a little Mean Bean Machine. You've almost got it, son. Now make me an offer I can't refuse.

raqibmarvelous
Jun 26, 2014

Squallege posted:

Not seeing Sonic R. I only care about Sonic R.

I actually really loved Sonic R, so it will definitely happen :D

Artix posted:

I can see that you're a man who's willing to go the extra mile to please the customer. That's a good thing 'round these parts, but let me tell ya, you're going to need to sweeten the pot if you want to seal the deal. Toss in some Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic Spinball, or hell, maybe even a little Mean Bean Machine. You've almost got it, son. Now make me an offer I can't refuse.

Knuckles' Chaotix is definitely on my roadmap. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine didn't even cross my mind until now.

How about I super sweeten the deal and throw Flicky in? :D

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
What, not '06?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

raqibmarvelous posted:

The audio delay is actually not something that is in my control. I use an external capture device (an Elgato) which guarantees a 2 second delay on my recording software (so I will always be "ahead" of my games)

Record your commentary separately through audacity. It'll allow you to synchronize you audio when you edit.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

quote:

even more recent games like Sonic '06.

You are not human. I just finished this with my friend and we are already pondering how to destroy the disc in the most gruesome fashion.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The only reason I'm for this is that it will force a human being to do multiple playthroughs of 2006.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Will you be playing Sonic 2 Special Edition?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I think what everyone is trying to tell you without getting to insulting is that you should cut that poo poo out, stop lp'ing bad games and actually read the rules. Dumping LPs you already did is certainly not allowed.

How did that went over your head?

e: Also holy poo poo a sonic LP with facecam. Someone call retsupurae.

e2: Sorry for not reading the OP but you actually like sonic 06? Did a loving 18 wheeler ran over your head? And if yes, how often?

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 28, 2014

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sOoz3e1AWM

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Now now, give him a chance. The Run Button guys dumped their 'Let's Play All of Sonic' at first, but took some advice and cleaned things up.

And then there's was that Ricky Flamingo guy. He certainly impr... hmm... actually...

:lurkmore:

and consider there's a reason we have a smiley for :lurkmore:.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
There's something novel about ignoring the gameplay itself and just watching that face. Those eyes moving back and forth creep me out.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Michaellaneous posted:

e: Also holy poo poo a sonic LP with facecam. Someone call retsupurae.

This is way too dull to even make fun of.

You can find a hundred streams of people playing Sonic games with a facecam, not really talking about the game or explaining it, just playing through, occasionally reacting (or overreacting) to stuff that happens, and talking to the people in their chatroom about Final Fantasy or Gamestop (for example)

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
How the hell am I supposed to pronounce your username, I'm not subscribing until you tell me how to pronounce that. Meow. I run fast.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
You know what, you might be salvageable.

I would be interested in seeing an "In defense of" LP of Sonic '06, and if you genuinely enjoy it, you're one of the few who could possibly pull it off. Pokecapn clearly showed it at its worst, but perhaps you can show it at its best. It would clearly require plenty of editing such as for the constant loading screens, but I know there is a fair bit they did not cover, in addition to their going in blind and thus lacking any practice.

Unfortunately, you do not seem to be capable yet of producing what is needed. I suggest you close this thread, then check out the sandcastle and tech fort threads and heed their advice to improve.

raqibmarvelous
Jun 26, 2014

David D. Davidson posted:

Record your commentary separately through audacity. It'll allow you to synchronize you audio when you edit.

I'll look into it. I actually think I found a way to delay my webcam to synchronize with my Elgato.

WaltherFeng posted:

You are not human. I just finished this with my friend and we are already pondering how to destroy the disc in the most gruesome fashion.

I get this a lot D:

Soral posted:

Will you be playing Sonic 2 Special Edition?

I could never skip it :0

WaltherFeng posted:

There's something novel about ignoring the gameplay itself and just watching that face. Those eyes moving back and forth creep me out.

:D

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

How the hell am I supposed to pronounce your username, I'm not subscribing until you tell me how to pronounce that. Meow. I run fast.

Rah-keeb.

Think Ra as in the Egyptian God Ra

and qib like the "keeb" in Keebler Elf

Faylone posted:

I would be interested in seeing an "In defense of" LP of Sonic '06, and if you genuinely enjoy it, you're one of the few who could possibly pull it off. Pokecapn clearly showed it at its worst, but perhaps you can show it at its best. It would clearly require plenty of editing such as for the constant loading screens, but I know there is a fair bit they did not cover, in addition to their going in blind and thus lacking any practice.

Unfortunately, you do not seem to be capable yet of producing what is needed. I suggest you close this thread, then check out the sandcastle and tech fort threads and heed their advice to improve.

I'll definitely check the thread, but I'm going to keep going. I don't have a problem with redoing/updating some in the future. I already know I have to redo the first three!

raqibmarvelous fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 28, 2014

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Please contribute to the tech support wiki by detailing how you green-screened your papasan chair.

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 28, 2014

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

you're hideous

raqibmarvelous
Jun 26, 2014

judge reinhold posted:

Please contribute to the tech support wiki by detailing how you green-screened your papasan chair.

Will do!

RedHotKick posted:

you're hideous

I get that a lot, it's okay :D

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Faylone posted:

I smell Mod Challenge!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Valgaav posted:

I smell Mod Challenge!

Oh please let this be what happens. :allears:

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

Pretty good speed

Cutscene Powers
Jun 7, 2010
No donate button, voted 1

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Why is a third of the screen reserved for you?
Why are you wearing giant headphones? Are you piloting military aircraft or something?

I watched about ten seconds, in which you neither gave a high-pitched shriek nor made a rape joke.
So I guess, you're at least not an insufferable rear end in a top hat like pewdeepie. That's a start.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

raqibmarvelous posted:

How about I super sweeten the deal and throw Flicky in? :D

The only game with Flickies you need to concern yourself with is Sonic 3D Blast. :colbert:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

GNU Order posted:

This is way too dull to even make fun of.

You can find a hundred streams of people playing Sonic games with a facecam, not really talking about the game or explaining it, just playing through, occasionally reacting (or overreacting) to stuff that happens, and talking to the people in their chatroom about Final Fantasy or Gamestop (for example)

I am sorry, but I am really not into the sonic twitch scene.

Also, dude. Could you have placed the camera in any worse position? Every time you look at it you look creepy as gently caress.

If you already get a lot of "You are hideous", why don't you just stop with the facecam like every other ugly person with some dignity left.

Also, modchallenge. Please.

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.
Hello! Welcome to the SA forums and the LP section! Let me breakdown why you are being treated like this.

1. This forum loves us some LP. Now, usually, people enjoy an informative, concise LP, but there are some here who enjoy couch-style lp and stuff like that. We do not enjoy webcam LP. It is a boring, overused concept that has no place in a SONIC LP. What the gently caress are you reacting to? AW poo poo LOST RINGS BETTER MAKE A MAD FACE. Don't. We are interested in the game, not your face.

2. In this forum, people put effort into their LP. What you have done is two HUGE things that are hated. You just slapped a poo poo ton of videos into here in a dump. This is against the forum rules. You also just straight up recorded yourself playing it, without giving a poo poo about editing or cutting down what didn't need to be shown. You lazily slapped your poo poo on our wall sir.

Ughh my god look, its okay to make mistakes. Just lurk a bit, read the rules. See how things are done here. Then come back and try again if you want.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Good place for casual LPs is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622778

It's a rad thread. But you'll still want to sort out some issues before you post there.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
One very discouraging thing from me is I look down at the progress bar and se 8 or 9 yellow blocks for ads in the video. I watch to the first one and it is an interruption video ad. I really don't want to have the video interrupted at random times for two ads I don't want to see. If it was separate videos and an ad playing at the beginning of each I wouldn't mind as much (I know some people on SA have ads run on their videos). I do mean that it is random. It at 5 min in, 11 mins in, 17 mins in, 21 mins in, 35 mins in, 50 mins in, 53 mins in (seriously 3 mins after the last one?), then on at the end at 1 hour 14 mins.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all
I propose that Rahkeeb be challenged to watch a full LP of the mod's choosing, then to write a short, five paragraph essay (just like back in high school!) comparing and contrasting that LP with his youtube dump. What were the similarities? What were the differences? Also, spelling and grammar matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Seven mid-rolls in a 1:15:00 video??? Dude, you gotta be kidding.

• Locked thread