Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

It also can yank vampires off walls, but it doesnt hit evading reavers, which is ... weird, they're supposed to dodge projectiles, but that doesnt really qualify, does it ?

So i have yet to simon belmont the face of a climbing vampire :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Bolas will also make a climbing vampire drop to the floor. I've had some really good players use it against me and boy is it a pain in the rear end to be so close to freedom, only to fall down and be useless for a while.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Neltharak posted:

It also can yank vampires off walls, but it doesnt hit evading reavers, which is ... weird, they're supposed to dodge projectiles, but that doesnt really qualify, does it ?

So i have yet to simon belmont the face of a climbing vampire :smith:

Yeah it doesn't hit evading reavers and you can only aim it horizontally, so the whole peel vamps off walls thing is basically a lie. The moment the vampire makes his first character length lunge up the wall-climb he's out of whipping arc.

Honest Davion
Jul 25, 2006
I buy Joel Nerf Guns
Loving this so far. And that was after being pretty disappointed that the LoK game was cancelled and we 'got this crap instead.' Getting close to leaving the newbie games. Humans feel pretty self explanatory, stick together, focus fire targets down, don't bunch up too much etc. But I think I've learnt a few Vampire things in particular that some newer people might find useful.

Reavers: The one thing I see far to many people doing is not crouching with their pounce when hanging on the rooftops. Fine if you're actually moving to places, or throwing a vial, but if you're waiting for your moment you may as well be making yourself a smaller target.

Tyrants: You pretty much need to lead the way, so charge in, smash the ground, then rock that skin up and bail. If your team don't suck they'll hopefully take advantage of the situation and you may be able to swing back to score a kill or at least heal with a fresh blood pack.

Deceiver: Totes Favs Forever. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure that Deceivers actually have the best standard attacks of all vampires, presumably to balance out being quite squishy. So, as well as trying to mix in with a disguise you can do a lot just by jumping in with the rest of your team during an attack. A fully charged standard attack goes a long distance and does tons of damage. I've managed a few quad kills thanks to this, since many human players won't realise they're in range.

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

Honest Davion posted:

Reavers: The one thing I see far to many people doing is not crouching with their pounce when hanging on the rooftops. Fine if you're actually moving to places, or throwing a vial, but if you're waiting for your moment you may as well be making yourself a smaller target.
Bear in mind of course that this will give away your position (from the noise), so if they don’t know where you are yet, wait for the right time to pounce.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
Started playing a few days ago and man this game is fun. It's just scratching an itch I didn't even know I had before I picked it up. Alchemist is great fun with her walls of fire and grenade launcher, while Sentinel is a joy to play when I can actually land those air-grabs. Any suggestions for good equipment or upgrades for those classes? Been thinking about getting flamethrower or the healing mist, but I figured I'd see what people who have more experience playing suggest first.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I've heard good things about the healing mist and the sticky bomb launcher.

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
For the two you were considering:

Flamethrower: I’ve never seen it used, but I did rent it and try it out. It was when I was first starting out, but I didn’t have too much luck with it. To get the full use out of it you need to be pointing at a vampire for the entire duration, which is fairly risky, and I’m not sure the damage was worth it. I’m pretty sure I had it interrupted a few times too which sucks.

Healing Mist: I like this, it can be really strong if used well. I think that often depends on your team rather than you though, so it can be a bit of a gamble since giving up Firewall really sucks.

As for some others:

Light Bomb is quite strong, it replaces your flashbang and just does a fair bit of area damage instead.

I’m really liking the Multi Cannon lately, I rented it and I’m saving up enough gold to purchase it permanently now, I’d definitely recommend trying it out.

Unfortunately I don’t have the Sentinel unlocked yet, so I can’t help you there.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Thanks for the advice. Went with Light Bomb for now and it's working out pretty well. I also got the Multi-launcher as a random level-up reward, so I'll try that out too.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Wordybird posted:

Started playing a few days ago and man this game is fun. It's just scratching an itch I didn't even know I had before I picked it up. Alchemist is great fun with her walls of fire and grenade launcher, while Sentinel is a joy to play when I can actually land those air-grabs. Any suggestions for good equipment or upgrades for those classes? Been thinking about getting flamethrower or the healing mist, but I figured I'd see what people who have more experience playing suggest first.

The Sentinel has a primary skill replacement that does damage as you carry the target away (before the drop) that doesn't seem to have any downside. The default skill set itself has a ton of AOE w/ the dive bomb and the wing flap. I go back and forth between which is more useful between the wing flap and impale, but I've been going back to the wing flap a lot recently. The dive bomb skill can be switched out to a takeoff skill that does damage as it launches you in the air - i know people who swear by it - but I don't think it combos quite as will with the other skills. As for passives, I prefer nimbleness with the 25% climb speed bonus for getting out of dodge as quickly as possible. If I were you, i'd pick up a few of the different abilities on the 7 day plan and see which ones you like the best.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

marxismftw posted:

The Sentinel has a primary skill replacement that does damage as you carry the target away (before the drop) that doesn't seem to have any downside. The default skill set itself has a ton of AOE w/ the dive bomb and the wing flap. I go back and forth between which is more useful between the wing flap and impale, but I've been going back to the wing flap a lot recently. The dive bomb skill can be switched out to a takeoff skill that does damage as it launches you in the air - i know people who swear by it - but I don't think it combos quite as will with the other skills. As for passives, I prefer nimbleness with the 25% climb speed bonus for getting out of dodge as quickly as possible. If I were you, i'd pick up a few of the different abilities on the 7 day plan and see which ones you like the best.

I'm fairly certain that the damaging version of kidnap last a bit less long than the default one, maybe about a second or so. I've tried it for a while but eventually went back to the default one. Carrying your target off that much further and isolating them more generally seems to be more useful than the 100-odd damage you'd get with the other one. Personally I prefer puncture somewhat to the wing flap, but I wouldn't trade the divebomb for anything. It's excellent both for causing general mayhem as well as finishing off whoever you just carried away. Generally whenever you drop a guy, they'll almost immediately do a 180° and run back the way you flew with them. If you just turn around in the air and trigger the divebomb right after dropping them, you're almost guaranteed to hit them head on with it.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Perestroika posted:

I'm fairly certain that the damaging version of kidnap last a bit less long than the default one, maybe about a second or so. I've tried it for a while but eventually went back to the default one. Carrying your target off that much further and isolating them more generally seems to be more useful than the 100-odd damage you'd get with the other one. Personally I prefer puncture somewhat to the wing flap, but I wouldn't trade the divebomb for anything. It's excellent both for causing general mayhem as well as finishing off whoever you just carried away. Generally whenever you drop a guy, they'll almost immediately do a 180° and run back the way you flew with them. If you just turn around in the air and trigger the divebomb right after dropping them, you're almost guaranteed to hit them head on with it.

The tool tip on the skill says that they have the the same duration. I've never tested it to see if there was an in-game difference though.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

marxismftw posted:

The tool tip on the skill says that they have the the same duration. I've never tested it to see if there was an in-game difference though.

That's a bug then, Kidnap explicitly lasts longer than Abduct, that's the tradeoff.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Both have their uses, while the important part of both skills is to get the human away from his hunter friends, over some houses/walls and near your murderous vampire party this can be done with both. The additional time is not really important at getting additional distance from the humans as its more important to break LoS and make the return slower by getting housings and walls between you, the flight time of both is enough for that. But where Kidnap really shines is against a better defended human group, cause those will not always allow you to attack from every angle you want and the additional time is worth gold (or blood, or whatever vampires fancy) to turn around and actually move towards your allies with that delicious blood sack you're carrying.

Honest Davion
Jul 25, 2006
I buy Joel Nerf Guns

Hactar posted:

Bear in mind of course that this will give away your position (from the noise), so if they don’t know where you are yet, wait for the right time to pounce.

Never thought of this, but yeah. Though I'd argue that MIGHT be an advantage too. Psychological warfare! Plus if they can't see you it could distract attention anyway, and then you're ready as soon as your team join in.

Hactar posted:

Flamethrower: I’ve never seen it used, but I did rent it and try it out. It was when I was first starting out, but I didn’t have too much luck with it. To get the full use out of it you need to be pointing at a vampire for the entire duration, which is fairly risky, and I’m not sure the damage was worth it. I’m pretty sure I had it interrupted a few times too which sucks.

Yeah I've been playing with this one for awhile and it kinda sucks. It's pretty good damage, but the range is so bad it's worthless. I wasn't expecting a flame shooting across the map but it's literally melee range, so you're just as screwed as any vamp you use it on most of the time. If it went further I could see it being a bit more useful. Which is a shame because I suck at using flamewall and therefore Alchemist in general...

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
Holy crap, I actually got into a Siege game today. It's still basically TDM.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.

Honest Davion posted:

Yeah I've been playing with this one for awhile and it kinda sucks. It's pretty good damage, but the range is so bad it's worthless. I wasn't expecting a flame shooting across the map but it's literally melee range, so you're just as screwed as any vamp you use it on most of the time. If it went further I could see it being a bit more useful. Which is a shame because I suck at using flamewall and therefore Alchemist in general...

Another thing about flamethrower is that it won't knock off Reavers when they're pounced on your allies. I learned this today when I got pounced, only to have my fellow alchemist spray it with flame instead of just shooting the thing.

Also, seems like a lot more people ragequit in the usual Deathmatch games as opposed to the New Recruit stuff. I guess it makes sense, since the level and skill difference can be much larger, but it's still kind of a shock when I'm a fresh-faced level 10 player moving up to regular stuff. Mostly it just means I get lumped on the losing team midway through the game.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Its fun but matchmaking seems really spotty, sometimes I get put into a full game instantly and other times I get slotted into a empty game that just ended, so I have to wait through 55 seconds of "intermission" before anyone else can even join

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I really like this game, but the matchmaking needs a lot of work since getting paired with two level 1s against a team full of level 10s is a pain in the rear end, plus it would really benefit from a larger player pool since more often than not I end up in a 3v4 or 2v4.

Also, while I like the playstyle of vampires, I find humans kind of boring. All of them are ranged (and I suck at aiming), and the whole game you are just bunching up and defending a spot until the vampires figure out how to break your defense, at which point you move to another location to defend some more.

I'd like a few new classes for the humans that are a bit more active. Like an assassin that can climb walls, stealth and melee, or a tanky kind of dude that puts down barriers and can bat a jumping reaver away.

I also don't quite get the class unlock system. Every 5 levels you get a new one. Is every level slower than theprevious one? Because if that's the case then getting all the classes (and staying competitive) practically forces you to pay for it.

Other than that, yeah I've been enjoying it. Bought the Sentinel as my first class unlock and I completely SUCK with him. Is there a trick for grabbing an enemy? Like, should I dive in and use the skill right before I hit them, or way before when I'm diving?

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 8, 2014

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I'm very good at this game and was a community streamer but now I'm VAC banned because I had cheat engine open. Be careful.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

For Sentinel Kidnap, when you activate it by holding down RMB you get a little Charge bar reticle. When it fills, you can Kidnap someone for a short window afterwards by bumping directly into them.

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
New patch info:

quote:

General
- Twitch.tv integration is now live!

Deceiver
- Melee damage increased to 205 (was 200)
Backstab
- Base damage reduced to 275 (was 300), backstab damage increased to 550 (was 510)
- Reworked attack animation to improve hit detection
Disguise
- Fade time reduced to 1.0 sec, was 1.25 sec
- While disguised, humans will no longer see hit markers when shooting you
- While disguised, you will no longer play take hit animations when taking damage
Illusions
- Illusion max health increased to 25% of Deceiver’s health (was 20%)
Phase
- Renamed to “Shroud”

Reaver
- Melee damage reduced to 180 (was 185)
- Base health reduced to 1000 (was 1050)
Shadow Bomb
- Throw velocity reduced by 25% to limit maximum bomb range
Choking Haze
- Throw velocity reduced by 25% to limit maximum bomb range

Prophet
Banish Shot
- Replaced with “Hex Shot”
- Fires a projectile instead of an instant hit beam, so cannot snipe with it anymore
- Interrupts attacks and abilities such as Pounce, Kidnap, etc. but does not cancel flight or other movement. Disables attacks and abilities for its duration.
- Victims are slowed by 50%, but can dodge roll and climb walls.
- Breaks if sufficient damage is taken by target (similar to Bola)
- Cooldown is now 15 seconds (was 20)

Vampires
- Execution can no longer be cancelled after you have fed on your victim

Human Weapon Recoil
- Ironsights recoil reduction increased to 30% (was 25%)
- Recoil on Prophet Pistols, Hunter Crossbows, and Scout Bows reduced slightly

Also includes some minor unspecified party/matchmaking improvements; a QA tester mentioned:

quote:

- On our test environment, we saw notable improvements to Party Matchmaking. It seems that, now that we are live, this has not exactly carried over. We'll keep a watchful eye. Sorry for any false hopes.

- One things that DID carry over, though, is, if a player quits a lobby during the 10s Match Begin countdown, the match will start regardless, and the teams will be rebalanced before going in-game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm pretty glad about the Hex Shot thing. I always felt a bit guilty using Banish Shot, because while it might help me out right now it could also mean that I've just prevented a teammate from getting a kill.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Good on Hex Shot becoming a projectile. It was a little nuts having a hit-scan bola, for all intents and purposes.

Though, that last part is kinda worrysome, Hactar. If the issue with matchmaking where a 2-4 person party will sometimes put your ally on the opposite team once a game hits 8 people, that means our tactic of quitting and rejoining until it sorts us correctly won't work. I hope that particular issue was resolved as well, otherwise having a party of 4 is going to be even more frustrating to keep together.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

icking fudiot posted:

For Sentinel Kidnap, when you activate it by holding down RMB you get a little Charge bar reticle. When it fills, you can Kidnap someone for a short window afterwards by bumping directly into them.

Wait, you capture people after the charge bar fills up? I had no idea!

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Brackhar posted:

Wait, you capture people after the charge bar fills up? I had no idea!

Oh my god you and me both, buddy. I mean, I know now, but for my first 5 or so games with Sentinel I was trying to pick people up while the bar charged, thinking that was the window of opportunity. It became much less frustrating after that realization.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah, Kidnap is one of those things I'm not happy with but have no time to fix right now. It's on my radar to make more intuitive.

During Beta it had no warmup and was clearer to use - right click activate, short window to grab a guy, done. But it had no counter, so when beta hit we introduced the warmup window.

It would be super clear if it behaved like Dive Bomb (pause, warmup, dive) but players realllllly didn't want Kidnap warmup to interrupt your momentum, so.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Yeah, I mean considering that the Reaver's pounce operates the same way (Bar fills before you can activate) I feel like I SHOULDN'T have misinterpreted the skill's use, but considering there's no real feedback or visual queue between being able to grab and not being able to grab-- Not to mention you're in constant motion and don't have as much time to think-- I guess I just tried my first instinct and assumed I was not hitting the target dead on.

The dive bomb warm up would have you killed or heavily injured by skilled Humans in no time. It's hard enough as it is (for me anyway) to find an angle at low enough altitude to grab a target without getting half of my HP bar picked off. I know there are a lot of people who can go on HUGE streaks with the Sentinel, but I'm still pretty piss poor with them.

One thing I never experimented: Do you NEED to be "diving" to make a successful grab, or can you gracefully hover over someone with the grab activated and still snatch them? I've always used the nose-dive because it's the quickest and I generally don't want to be a target, but it'd be nice to know for indoor captures.

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

The Crusher posted:

Though, that last part is kinda worrysome, Hactar. If the issue with matchmaking where a 2-4 person party will sometimes put your ally on the opposite team once a game hits 8 people, that means our tactic of quitting and rejoining until it sorts us correctly won't work. I hope that particular issue was resolved as well, otherwise having a party of 4 is going to be even more frustrating to keep together.
Doesn’t sound like this will be different though – presumably the timer will keep going, but we’ll still be able to quit and rejoin to get back on the correct team. I hope.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

The Crusher posted:

Yeah, I mean considering that the Reaver's pounce operates the same way (Bar fills before you can activate) I feel like I SHOULDN'T have misinterpreted the skill's use, but considering there's no real feedback or visual queue between being able to grab and not being able to grab-- Not to mention you're in constant motion and don't have as much time to think-- I guess I just tried my first instinct and assumed I was not hitting the target dead on.

The dive bomb warm up would have you killed or heavily injured by skilled Humans in no time. It's hard enough as it is (for me anyway) to find an angle at low enough altitude to grab a target without getting half of my HP bar picked off. I know there are a lot of people who can go on HUGE streaks with the Sentinel, but I'm still pretty piss poor with them.

One thing I never experimented: Do you NEED to be "diving" to make a successful grab, or can you gracefully hover over someone with the grab activated and still snatch them? I've always used the nose-dive because it's the quickest and I generally don't want to be a target, but it'd be nice to know for indoor captures.

As long as you touch them, you'll snatch them. Diving makes it easier because you gain speed.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.

icking fudiot posted:

As long as you touch them, you'll snatch them. Diving makes it easier because you gain speed.

But to add to that point on diving, make sure to judge your angle right or you'll just wind up landing in a group of humans like a sitting duck. Happened to me more than a few times.

For me as a Sentinel, it seems to be that I'll have certain games were kidnapping will just click for me and I'll become an unkillable demigod, and the rest of the time I'll be about as useful as a seagull. Tends to correlate with how good my team is at actually acting as a team on any given match.

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008

icking fudiot posted:

Why was the reaver smoke bomb/choking haze throw velocity nerfed? It feels so lovely now being a limp wristed vampire.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Hactar posted:

Doesn’t sound like this will be different though – presumably the timer will keep going, but we’ll still be able to quit and rejoin to get back on the correct team. I hope.

If the timer keeps going, I assume this means it wouldn't re-sort teams like it does now. If you re-join wouldn't you just get put back in the same empty slot on the opposing team you left from? I guess we'll have to see it in practice.

Honest Davion
Jul 25, 2006
I buy Joel Nerf Guns
Ahaha yes, Deceiver getting more buff. I might actually see a point to backstab now. Previously it just felt like using a regular attack was better because it did about the same damage as the higher damage mark over a bigger distance, albeit slower. Now it can deal some good damage if you use it right.

Can anyone sate my curiosity too? I saw Deciever's damage is now improved, (suck it Reavers) but what about Sentinel and Tyrant? What's their melee damage?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I logged a lot of hours on this last month and enjoyed it but the matchmaking was getting progressively worse which lead to me putting it down for a while. For several days I couldn't find a single match that didn't end up in a handicap situation. There was a decent amount of rage quitting but sometimes it just seemed like connection problems - the countdown had a full 8 players but once the match actually started at least one of them would be lost without fail, and a fill in player was never sent in. Has this gotten any better?

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Chucullinn posted:

Why was the reaver smoke bomb/choking haze throw velocity nerfed? It feels so lovely now being a limp wristed vampire.

We'll probably walk back the change a little bit based on the feedback today. In general Reaver is too good all-around and we're looking at ways to discourage the 2-3+ Reaver teams chucking Hail Mary bombs in nonstop. Making it so you can't throw the bombs over a mountain like Uncle Rico is a step in that direction along with his health reduction, still testing other changes.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I logged a lot of hours on this last month and enjoyed it but the matchmaking was getting progressively worse which lead to me putting it down for a while. For several days I couldn't find a single match that didn't end up in a handicap situation. There was a decent amount of rage quitting but sometimes it just seemed like connection problems - the countdown had a full 8 players but once the match actually started at least one of them would be lost without fail, and a fill in player was never sent in. Has this gotten any better?

There was a ghost player bug causing some kind of permanent 4v3 on certain servers. We're still tracking it down, but don't hear about it severely affecting gameplay much in recent weeks.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Deceiver seems much more useful after this patch. Closing in with humans in some positions was hard when they only had to shot you once to realize something was fishy.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

icking fudiot posted:

We'll probably walk back the change a little bit based on the feedback today. In general Reaver is too good all-around and we're looking at ways to discourage the 2-3+ Reaver teams chucking Hail Mary bombs in nonstop. Making it so you can't throw the bombs over a mountain like Uncle Rico is a step in that direction along with his health reduction, still testing other changes.

Perhaps making the bomb toss hilariously inaccurate after a certain distance would help?

Fat Samurai posted:

Deceiver seems much more useful after this patch. Closing in with humans in some positions was hard when they only had to shot you once to realize something was fishy.

Neat, that's my next unlock at 15. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

Thyrork posted:

Perhaps making the bomb toss hilariously inaccurate after a certain distance would help?
Honestly if the goal was to reduce the effective range, I’d prefer it just magically disappear after a certain range (or fizzle out/explode mid-air or something) than how it is now. It just feels really heavy and odd when you throw it, doesn’t seem right at all.

• Locked thread