Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miffroon
May 7, 2006
Owe's mansex to Hotwire
Started playing today, there was some satisfaction at using bolas on those sentinels as one was swooping in to kidnap a team mate and just watching it hop around aimlessly in front of him. I've not played any vampires apart from the Tyrants, they're a lot of fun with the huge rear end leap into a ground slam, then just ignore all the pain and run away as your team jump in while the humans are trying to kill you.

I'm really liking the alchemist with the flashbang grenades and the fire walls. I've managed to turn around some pretty dire looking fights with those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Pro-tip though, flashbangs are trash and belong to the past once you get murder grenades allowing you to pump out double and triple kills.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It's true. Flashbangs have a tiny radius and even if they are blind they can still just run forward and they will probably escape danger. However, as an Alchemist, there are dozens of times where you will ALMOOOOOST get that fuckin vampire, and if you had the other grenade you would have gotten him.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the tip! I'll probably give that a try tonight. I like the rental system they have in this game, it lets me try out different things while saving up gold to eventually buy the skill outright if I like it enough.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
I think the real mystery of the alchemists is if there is any skill better then flame wall, since you just chuck it to your left or right to form an assault streak of fire in the direction you're running.
Poison cloud has less chance of ruining your own poo poo, and it can be thrown like a grenade at your team but vamp's just walk out of it, chipping damage isn't a thing for vamps like it is for humans so the only real worthwhile choice is the flame thrower that does 900 damage over 4 seconds (literally murdering a vampire, but not allowing you to shoot while chucking it down. While flame wall allows turning AND burning)

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
I will absolutely add to the cries of "get the damaging grenades" because my god they are so good on Alchemist. I've managed to net so many kills on fleeing vampires with a lucky light grenade throw, and they'll also knock off any Reavers that might have pounced one of your team. Combined with the sticky bomb launcher you can make sure that no vampire manages to escape without taking a hell of a lot of damage, if they flee at all.

Miffroon
May 7, 2006
Owe's mansex to Hotwire
I usually like to hit tyrants or sentinels with them, with the charges/dives they usually end up just smacking face first into a wall and then my fire wall finishes them off normally. I'll give the light grenades a try though, sounds like fun.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Miffroon posted:

the charges/dives they usually end up just smacking face first into a wall

:siren: Dive-roll sideways whenever you see a vampire gearing up an animation. :siren:

Don't be a pubby! Avoid that charge /flying grab/ pounce!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Has anyone messed around with the Reaver abilities Leap Attack or Roundhouse Kick? I'm liking the lower cooldowns but realistically I shouldn't be attacking without Evasion up anyway

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Roundhouse kick does a decent amount of damage (Swipe, swipe, roundhouse is usually good enough to get someone really low on health or kill a wounded human), but it has a loooong windup and is tough to hit a human that knows what they're doing with it. I ended up going back to the pounce move because it seems to be the more useful skill.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samuel posted:

I'm playing the free weekend on Steam and I can say it's one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played, it's very mechanical and I never really thought a death or a lost round was unfair.
My only gripe playing to level 13 is team's of 4 tyrants all chaining their slam's

The one time I got genuinely pissed playing this is when I had a team that just didn't work together; in and of itself this wasn't so bad, except for every time a Reaver jumped me it was on me for as long as it could be pretty much because none of my teammates ever tried to stop it. At one point one jumped on me, mauled me, and as I was getting up another one landed on me and pinned me down again.

I stopped playing for the night after that round.

Samuel posted:

The prophet needs a lot of love to be good, so I'd recommend unlocking him last along with the Deceiver who is battleready, but his straight upgrade skills all need to be bought. Unlike the offensive classes who come out of the box with wreck your poo poo skills.

Upgrades to look out for:
Sentinel: Airstrike
Alchemist: Explosive Light grenade, Flame Thrower
Reaver: Savage pounce
Prophet: Dark tentacle void, and shield
Hunter: Poison Bolos, Sticky Grenade
Deceiver: Cloak

Really? I'm loving the Prophet so far and I haven't upgraded anything for her (though the shield does look really, really good). The tentacles look interesting but Hex Shot is great; outside of situations like the above it often feels like you're guaranteeing a vamp's death when you tag them with it. The only time I've ever done badly with her out of the rounds I've done with her is the one I mention above. Pegging a charging/pouncing vampire with it is satisfying, too. Edit: Though, just noticed that the tentacles are an AoE disable. They don't come with the slow but that definitely seems like it could be obscenely good too.

Thanks for the tips on upgrades to look for, though. Was already thinking of many of those (flamethrower, aforementioned shield, etc.), but others I didn't think of or wasn't sure about (damaging light grenade versus blinding one in particular).

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 10, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm getting annoyed with Firewall on Alchemist. It's really hard to figure out what exactly is going to happen when you press the Firewall button. Sometimes you throw it a little bit, sometimes you just hurl it at the ground, I have no idea how to determine which direction the wall will face. Not to mention you take damage from your own firewall, and Deceivers can mind control you into it. I think Flamethrower is probably better. Does the Poison Cloud damage yourself?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I think the thread title could use changing. Nosgoth: "This game is actually FUN?!". The current one is probably running peopl e off.

I'm starting to feel like mics would benefit this game a lot; of course none of the pubbies use them. If only I had a VOIP server.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm getting annoyed with Firewall on Alchemist. It's really hard to figure out what exactly is going to happen when you press the Firewall button. Sometimes you throw it a little bit, sometimes you just hurl it at the ground, I have no idea how to determine which direction the wall will face. Not to mention you take damage from your own firewall, and Deceivers can mind control you into it. I think Flamethrower is probably better. Does the Poison Cloud damage yourself?

Poison Cloud definitely hurts the user. Any offensive abilities seem to hurt the user, including stuff like the Prophet's AOE life drain ability.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Wow there son.

Do a quick snap look to the side if you want to strike ahead of you and behind you. Throw fire infront of you if you're being chased, the first seconds of fire spawn do not hurt you but do hurt the enemy, you can diver-roll through fire with impunity just make sure to time it right so you don't exit your roll inside the fire. Poison cloud does way less damage to you then fire, but fire sets vamps ON FIRE doing more damage when they exit the area, poison cloud stops doing significant damage and does almost no damage the first moments inside the area since the damage ramps up like the L4D2's spitter, meaning that fast vamps (all of them) will take no damage, while fire wall is a guaranteed poo poo wrecker. Also if you're about to die you can throw yourself into your own fire, and vamps that come to harvest the corpse will die, I've gotten many last "gently caress you's" that way.

explosivo posted:

Poison Cloud definitely hurts the user. Any offensive abilities seem to hurt the user, including stuff like the Prophet's AOE life drain ability.
Throw AOE's on your team and don't stop! Make use of the Alchemists fire wall to stand in and laugh at vampires as they wreck themselves, stand in the prophets Tentacle anime, for the love of god stay in the scouts arrow rain. This way you can maximize your chances to live while killing vampires, remember that you can do very little about a vamp in your face but a good team mate can wreck them while they're busy eating you.

nilumtil posted:

I think the thread title could use changing. Nosgoth: "This game is actually FUN?!". The current one is probably running peopl e off.

I'm starting to feel like mics would benefit this game a lot; of course none of the pubbies use them. If only I had a VOIP server.
There's in-game voip so try to gently tell lone wanderers that they're retarded while they're getting sandwiched by vampires.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm a little confused on this: Do the cheaper "founder" packs give you permanent access to the closed beta? I want to get into this but have no idea how the f2p economy works.

Can I use in-game gold to unlock classes?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caddrel posted:

I'm a little confused on this: Do the cheaper "founder" packs give you permanent access to the closed beta? I want to get into this but have no idea how the f2p economy works.

Every founder's pack unlocks the rest of the beta I believe. Pretty much everything can be earned in-game except (most) skins.

You get an artifact for unlocking a new class every five levels.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Caddrel posted:

Any purchase this weekend grants beta access.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Thanks, I got the Veteran Pack. Having fun with the game so far, though I can't find a vampire class I like playing as much as I do Hunter.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
i dont know if it was on purpose but three times in a match a gargoyle flyer guy on the map with the docks (i dont any names of maps/classes or any of the vampire lore bullshit) picked me up and released on/near the corner of the docks/border and i was stuck in the falling animation. i was able to shoot but not move from that spot. also i hope being to chat freely in between matches ending/switch sides is possibly on the way.

e: extremely fun game though, im fairly excited for the new game mode. i personally find it difficult to utilize the hexing witch lady that feels impactful.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Really enjoying this game, more than I thought I would seeing as how I don't like these kinds of games usually. I can definitely see myself keep playing it for a while.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I'm enjoying it myself too but I'm afraid to get too attached seeing how most of these projects go. I've gotten too excited for previous releases only to have them die a few weeks after the free week.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I wish the rewards for class leveling were permanent stuff. Or maybe be able to upgrade it to permanent for a reduced cost? I dunno.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Rorus Raz posted:

I wish the rewards for class leveling were permanent stuff. Or maybe be able to upgrade it to permanent for a reduced cost? I dunno.

They are permanent. The special bonuses require recharging over time, but they expire based on game time used, so they last a long time and can be recharged for Gold.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

icking fudiot posted:

They are permanent. The special bonuses require recharging over time, but they expire based on game time used, so they last a long time and can be recharged for Gold.
Oh neat. I guess I should have read it more carefully :v:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looking at permanently unlocking some perks. Any suggestions on which to go for, either in general or for specific classes? At the moment the cooldown reduction ones look the most tempting for both sides, though I'm not sure if even with that some abilities will even come off cooldown before the fight is over, so more opinions would be helpful.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I'm looking for a few other decent people to play with. I think I'm best as a Hunter on human side, 2nd alch, and Reaver for vamp, Sent/Tyrant tied for 2nd. Add me on steam as Akumos, I can use voice chat.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Yeah, it's basically impossible to party up now though so...

:toot:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
This game is pretty great. I've played around 400 hours over the past 5-6 months of it and it's pretty much my exclusive FPS at the moment (with a little Loadout thrown in).

What I've found:
Prophet is great at dealing a ton of damage, I regularly get 22k+ games, with a dozen or so 25k+ games in there.
Deceiver is a great vampire class. You can do a ton of damage with infect as an opener for your team. You infect while disguised, illusion to get out, then go in again once your team arrives at the fight.

If anyone is interested in seeing some higher level play, I stream regularly:
http://twitch.tv/garfu

and my girlfriend streams pretty often as well. She's pretty decent, she gives away beta keys regularly, so if you liked the free weekend and want to keep playing, just go in there and ask and she will give you one:
http://twitch.tv/trunkinelephant

Also feel free to add my nosgoth steam account http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/garfu2 if you'd like to play or want to discuss any high level tactics and whatnot.

My complaints are the same as everyone else's, the party system has been terrible for the entire alpha/beta and the newly implemented system is still lacking. I've only been able to party once since it has been down for the time I've been able to play (was on vacation during the free weekend). The only way to fix the party issues up to this point was to have everyone restart the game and try to re-invite. I'd suggest some sort of leave party button that is always available that resets your party availability.

Also a nice QoL feature would be to show how many players are in lobbies in each region for each gamemode.

Great game overall though!

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Roland Jones posted:

Looking at permanently unlocking some perks. Any suggestions on which to go for, either in general or for specific classes? At the moment the cooldown reduction ones look the most tempting for both sides, though I'm not sure if even with that some abilities will even come off cooldown before the fight is over, so more opinions would be helpful.

Weapons and skills seem far more game-changing than perks. I won't tell you how to spend your money, but I think that in terms of changing up your in-combat options, you'd get more mileage out of using dailies and upgrading your preferred class' arsenal. The extra +5%hp or extra ammo won't matter nearly as much as having a poison bola or a healing mist or whatever.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Garfu posted:

What I've found:
Prophet is great at dealing a ton of damage, I regularly get 22k+ games, with a dozen or so 25k+ games in there.
Deceiver is a great vampire class. You can do a ton of damage with infect as an opener for your team. You infect while disguised, illusion to get out, then go in again once your team arrives at the fight.

What's your advice for prophet loadout? I really like her but out of the rookie leagues I'm having a bit more trouble (though it might partially be the teams I'm getting). Will look at that Deceiver trick too, that seems neat.

Sputnik posted:

Weapons and skills seem far more game-changing than perks. I won't tell you how to spend your money, but I think that in terms of changing up your in-combat options, you'd get more mileage out of using dailies and upgrading your preferred class' arsenal. The extra +5%hp or extra ammo won't matter nearly as much as having a poison bola or a healing mist or whatever.

That makes sense. Was thinking that the perks, affecting all of one side, would arguably be more bang for my buck, but your point about just making the classes I play that much more effective seems like a better option. Thanks for the advice.

Topic of that, has anyone tried the Alchemist's multi and sticky cannons? I'm thinking of trying one of those, leaning towards the former because sometimes I have bad, bad aim with her. Likewise I'm torn on Prophet weapons, though I got a really nice rare set of heavy pistols from one of the founder's chests (increase to clip size, ammo capacity, and stun resistance in exchange for more recoil and a bit less health from supply stations).

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008
If you can, always go with cooldown reduction on weapons/skills, and getting the cooldown reduction perk. 25% cooldown is immeasurably useful.

For prophet play, you really got to consider one thing:

Am I a good shot?

If you are, heavy pistols are incredibly good, especially with good perks like extra clip size/cooldown reduction/health, I run a rare heavy pistol with 5% health and 5% clip/10% more ammo with tinkerer, so I have 10 shot clips.

If you aren't good at landing long range shots or moving sentinels etc, quick pistols are probably the best choice, a lot of damage in a short space of time.

Piercing pistols I think are too situational, you don't always get vampires on top of each other.

Roland Jones posted:

As I said, cooldown reduction is probably the best for everyone. Cooldown reduction for both races, nimbleness for vampires, and possibly fleet footed and tinkerer for humans.

Cooldown reduction on vampires is almost mandatory in my opinion.

Chucullinn fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 11, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chucullinn posted:

If you can, always go with cooldown reduction on weapons/skills, and getting the cooldown reduction perk. 25% cooldown is immeasurably useful.

For prophet play, you really got to consider one thing:

Am I a good shot?

If you are, heavy pistols are incredibly good, especially with good perks like extra clip size/cooldown reduction/health, I run a rare heavy pistol with 5% health and 5% clip/10% more ammo with tinkerer, so I have 10 shot clips.

If you aren't good at landing long range shots or moving sentinels etc, quick pistols are probably the best choice, a lot of damage in a short space of time.

Piercing pistols I think are too situational, you don't always get vampires on top of each other.

Thanks for the advice; this reminded me that I actually got a pair of Quick Pistols from a rare chest too, so I went and decided to see what bonuses they had. Sadly, while +Health is one, they have an ammo/clip size reduction to go with it. (Also stun resistance up, health from supplies down.) 13 shots a clip instead of 14 isn't bad, but -10% of 84 shots total is a bit painful. (Also got a rare set of regular Dual Pistols from one of those chests, so three of my five rare chests gave me Prophet stuff for the human side of things.)

Can you unlock rare stuff through general in-game play? I got some uncommon stuff but nothing rare from a non-Founder's source so far, and at only one item per five levels it seems like you don't have that many chances besides.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
Alchemist started as my least favorite class, but with a couple of unlocks has quickly become my favorite.

Do yourself a favor and unlock the light bomb and sticky launcher and pair them with your fire wall. If the vampires leap on anyone that isn't you then you can just pepper the ground with sticky grenades, drop a fire wall, and hit them with a light bomb if they still try to escape. It basically turns you into a giant area denial machine. Plus you can get some nice shots on roofs if you know one is hiding up there. The only downside of the sticky launcher is that the fuse time is high enough to be annoying if someone gets leaped on. In that case you can use your light bomb to knock a reaver off.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just tried that exact loadout for the first time and it absolutely wrecks shop. Being able to drop everything on a reaver that's jumped on someone AND stick 2 or 3 grenades on them while they can't move kicks rear end and almost guarantees you a kill. Area denial machine is absolutely right :stare:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Any advice on unlocks for or playing Reaver? Right now I only really like playing Human since I'm so bad at Reaver or other vampires.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yeah for prophet, pretty much what Chucullinn said. You need to be good at twitch and tracking aiming, if you are you will destroy everything. I prefer heavy pistols over everything else for the burst damage and sniping ability. The DPS is about the same for all of the pistols.

For vampire you'll want to always use the Wisdom perk for the cooldowns, as mentioned.

I have some -10% cooldown heavy pistols on my prophet, but I still use tinkerer for that extra shot, instead of the cooldown perk. An extra 165 damage before reloading in close fights is essential IMO. Also you tend to stay alive pretty long as a prophet with the hex shot and life leach, so you run out of ammo.

I made a highlight of some prophet and deceiver (my favorite vampire) play, there are some high damage games in there: http://www.twitch.tv/garfu/c/4883117 just skip through to the relevant part.

edit: 23.6k prophet round starting at 19m

Garfu fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 11, 2014

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Caddrel posted:

Any advice on unlocks for or playing Reaver? Right now I only really like playing Human since I'm so bad at Reaver or other vampires.

I haven't bought any reaver unlocks and the default seems to work just fine, though savage pounce and shadows step seem good. The best advice is to make sure you wait for your team before you engage and not to be afraid of running. If you pounce in and get focused remember you can break your attack animation, pop evasion, and run up the nearest roof. Then when it wears off you can pounce back in to finish the job. It all depends on how well the fight is going for your team and if you would get more kills than deaths by staying in the fight. Really more people just need to realize it can be better to run and fight later than die after doing 50% damage.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Caddrel posted:

Reavers are pretty versatile. If you're unable to get into a fight quick you can use leap attack, however I prefer sweeping kick as it staggers and does 400 damage.

Haze and smoke bomb are pretty preferential, I like the smoke bomb better since you can throw it down and do charge up attacks from the middle of it while the humans can't see you. coupled with sweeping kick this allows you to get a 760 damage attack in on possibly multiple targets before they have a chance to react.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, tried them out in a battle; turns out -5% clip size still leaves the quick pistols with 14 shots a clip (exactly the same as what they normally have), so the only hit there is 73 shots held rather than 84. Even with me firing wildly I never ran out of ammo before I could resupply, so that's not a huge deal either. Unless I get some cooldown pistols or get much better with my aim, I think I'll be sticking with these for now.

Thanks for the links, by the way. Will watch those soon.

Edit: Question about aiming, actually, are guns in this hitscan, or do they have travel time, and if the latter, how significant is it (in the case of things like the prophet; alchemist it's pretty obvious)? I think part of the reason my aim isn't always great is that I'm just not sure how I should be compensating for moving targets when aiming.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 11, 2014

• Locked thread