Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ugh sv bubble-speak is leaking:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

nigga crab pollock posted:

yeah to your wallet maybe who the gently caress buys oakleys

Cyclists, fratbros, and douchebags.

I am aware there is overlap between those groups.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hobbesmaster posted:

they did it in association with federally funded university researchers so lol

And with a definition of "informed consent" that is so incredibly bad it should get the researchers involved permanently blacklisted from future human experimentation. It literally was "they signed the EULA."

This is an incredibly awful fuckup. God help them if someone in the "sad news" group committed suicide during the term, and with the numbers involved that isn't all that unlikely.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if you kill yourself over facebook postings, you sorta deserve it

well it isn't like those with mental illness (or facebook users) are known for thinking clearly.

i just can't think of a more perfect way to gently caress with someone with depression than to systematically and surreptitiously scrub their news source of all good news. like if it were a person doing it to another person it would be pretty textbook emotional abuse and destabilisation.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If it were not for Apple's success and hero worship it inspired I cannot imagine that the jobs micromanaging rear end in a top hat personality would get you very far with Vcs so in a way Steve is to blame for tech going from being filled with dreamy eyed but partially clueless geeks stumbling upon worth to a honeypot for misanthropic libertarian narcissists backstabbing the poo poo out of anyone in their way. Which is wonderful because it will make the bubble implosion that much more enjoyable to watch.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mishaq posted:

when i think cocktail bar though i think artisanal places with super specailty cocktails, not bars where i can order a rum and coke for < $10

dc certainly does not have anything like that for under :10bux:

except maybe happy hour

Definitely not less than $10 but have you been to PX in Alexandria? Some serious skill there.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Gazpacho posted:

Libertarianism was a thing in the valley before jobs returned to Apple and before he demonstrated success again, either created or blown up to new proportions by the American dream / "Wall Street is on your side" tropes that dominated during the 90s

it is a field packed with young white men, of course libertarianism will be around. but was it a requirement then?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

prefect posted:

i just have a hard time believing ceos deserve credit for most of what their companies do. maybe they sign off on designs, but the actual work is done by a big pile of people. it's not one genius who single-handedly does everything

well yes that is the way companies work, but management matters more in the percolation of driving ideals to the people actually doing things. if you have a ceo and senior management that clearly only care about loving off to the golf course, middle management is much more likely to half-rear end it too, and eventually the employees actually charged with making poo poo will go "gently caress it, that's good enough" and you end up with a Cadillac Cimarron on your hands.

but yeah jobs just was in the right place with the right combination of business acumen and being an unrepentant rear end in a top hat at the right time. his lack of the ability to delegate and to take "no, that won't work" for an answer lead to some great poo poo (as well as his death).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nintendo Kid posted:

for all of microsoft's "problems" they still massively dominate their main business areas and have for decades on end, and will for decades on end.

always funny to see people pretend like regular computers are going to go away tho

also amusing: the people who like to make fun of MS for keeping support going for old products and insane amounts of backwards compatibility.

a business looking for a word processing solution will be much more likely to trust that MS Word 2025 will read the documents they create today than think that Google documents won't get abandoned randomly because someone got bored with that ball pit.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Apple is highly relevant to SV app/hardware startups because getting bought out by apple for bazillions is one of the tales they tell to investors.

then apple in-houses it 10x better and modifies the app store terms to completely eviscerate any price advantage the startup had and welp... there's always google or facebook!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"dating" app.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

good lord you can practically hear the burnout of the Tinder lawyers' benz as they rush the settlement offer over

also lol.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

also the really disgusting thing is she better get a fuckton of money now because she will probably be blacklisted for ripping back the curtain on the wizard of Oz while if he gets fired some other bro startup will hire him because "females, am I right?"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

google bought songza for some reason.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

they have too much money and spotify won't sell?

the first part yes, the second part certainly not. spotify has been hoping to get acquired by google, amazon, or apple since its creation.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Citizen Tayne posted:

I can't wait until drivers are arrested. It's gonna own.

gently caress that, I want a bench warrant issued for various uber/lyft upper management for contempt of court.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Elder Postsman posted:

living by the train is the best thing. like i'm only a week into being able to take it to work and already i feel so much less stressed out and it's just fantastic.

having tried each of them I'd say: living by the train/metro stop is pretty good, living a short flat bike ride away is amazing, but working at home is the best.

Necc0 posted:

they were ordered to stop here in NoVA as well but they're still truckin. ended up using one this weekend and my friend pwn3d the poo poo out of his door. lmfao

I thought that was just a C&D issued by the regulating board, not a judge.

i like to imagine that uber/lyft's legal council on these cases is screaming at them behind the scenes about just how loving stupid it is to disobey a judge's injunction but are getting ignored because what do they know about disruption. i see it is just an administrative judge ruling but just ignoring it won't look good at all to the state court they appeal it to.

the injunction hearing in houston is on the 15th.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Necc0 posted:

lmao $1k electric bill. owned

:psyduck: How the gently caress does that happen? Do they have giant bug zappers energized 24/7 to keep the poors at bay?

My electric bill for a 1950s house with single pane windows in Texas might be $110 in August.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Werthog 95 posted:

it's just weird to me how cool everyone is with letting some lovely app developer skim all this money off these taxi fares "rideshare donations" and contribute nothing back to the city that maintains the roads they depend on

if uber doesn't implode the next flight will be over taxes.

Oh that would be amazing. surely the places have individual meters though.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shaggar posted:

if you piss off a redneck he'll retaliate. if you piss off a suburb dweller they get all flustered and its kind of funny.

unless you also live in the same suburb and they are on the HOA in which case you are about to get proper hosed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

infernal machines posted:

no! don't you know that government employees and union workers just hoard their cash smaug-like in their welfare palaces? they don't spend it on goods and services in the local economy like you or i

i'm both. i aim more more for scrooge mcduck than smaug though

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

infernal machines posted:

you must have impressive bones.

i'm pretty sure most people would die painfully after attempting to dive into a pool of gold coins

that sweet rear end govt insurance gave me wolverine bones.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

behavioral economists must love the great experiment going on with the "sharing economy". there are already pretty drat strong indications that exchanging any money at all, no matter how slight, fundamentally changes the nature of how people treat the transaction (money means they will pretty much ignore all those social conventions keeping them from being jackasses) so it must be fun to watch it in action.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

she is a new york judge but the tv show is binding arbitration, not a legal court

and the "judgement" doesn't come from the person ruled against but instead from the show budget.

a friend just tried airbnb and went with what was described as an extra bedroom in an apartment. turned out the person renting it out wasn't the other person living in the apartment and it was significantly more run down than the listing, reviews, and photos indicated.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sagebrush posted:

the latest cool thing to do with airbnb here is to use it to throw out out your rent-controlled tenants who have been in the apartment for years leeching off your rightful earnings by paying below-market rent. the rent control law says that you can evict tenants without cause if you are "taking the unit off the market" to become a private home, so you kick out the tenants, sell the house to your brother (so the property taxes don't get re-evaluated) and he puts it immediately back up on airbnb for market + 20% because it's airbnb and you split the profit and the city can't charge you with anything because there aren't any laws about airbnb and there never will be ha ha. bonus you probably don't have to follow any tenant protection laws, so if you come into the rented apartment at 3 in the morning to take voyeur photos too bad, the tenant should have known what she was getting into

gah i loving hate this "company"

um, there already are laws about airbnb, they just aren't being enforced. i imagine most AGs are waiting to see what happens in NYC. Schneiderman winning against non-owner-occupied year-round airbnb rentals and those who have failed to pay hotel taxes (aka everyone listing on airbnb) would probably result in just about every other state doing the same. that's if airbnb doesn't implode seeking vc demanded growth first by doing stupid poo poo like their recent "sell spots at your dinner party!" pilot.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

bon appétit

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cold on a Cob posted:

oh yeah, lol if they do this people will get sued so loving hard

the health department doesn't gently caress around and and the requirements are generally such that few home kitchens would ever hope to pass.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pinterest Mom posted:

well this is already understood, no

that was one of the the "pretty drat strong indications" that I was thinking about, yes.

But still watching it in the wild must be pretty nice for those researchers.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

theflyingexecutive posted:

what if there's a fire because your fire suppression system is a beer bottle-sized fire extinguisher you bought in the late 90s? your friends probably wouldn't sue you but a stranger who paid money to be there? absolutely

I wonder if homeowners insurance would refuse to pay out the liability portion for the injured.

Or even refuse to pay repairs...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well duh, you don't rent out your apartment.

you fraudulently rent another unit, or fraudulently evict tenants, and then put that apartment on airbnb.

The popular thing here is to build a cut rate garage apartment and rent that out, conveniently not bothering with pesky things that rental properties require like parking, fire extinguishers, interior deadbolts, and occupancy limits.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

stoutfish posted:

i'm thinking the next bubble will happen in texas because no taxes on business.

anyone else agree?

yes on texas, no b/c of the taxes. what is sustaining texas at the moment is

Citizen Tayne posted:

Texas actually has real businesses that do things to generate value and make money.

but there's a really really major problem in that like 30%+ of the growth of the texas economy is due to the gas fracking boom dumping massive amounts of money into the state to get all the wells drilled. there are signs now that it is starting to level off in a very disconcerting way because once you have the wells drilled you just have to transport the product to the ports to ship it off and that involves fewer people and lower pay. now a smart state would have used that boom to build up infrastructure and education (jfc even W Bush knew this) but instead we've spent the last decade playing "i'm more conservative than you" and it is going to bite the state in the goddamn rear end.

computer parts posted:

they actually didn't get hit that hard by the recession because they had decent regulations on housing

nah, there's a hard limit for home equity loans of 80% of equity but that's still more than enough rope to hang yourself with. texas was balls deep but was just lagging behind the rest of the country by half a year or so. things were starting to go over the peak when the full force of the stimulus and monetary policy joined up with the fact that no place else had any jobs at all to prop up housing prices letting anyone who was in trouble sell instead of get foreclosed. prices have since proceeded to go bonkers but salary hasn't kept up at all to that will be self limiting at some point, most likely when the free money tap starts to turn off.

the first sxsw after the writing is on the wall is going to be loving glorious though.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

also lol "shrink it and pink it" has been the tech world's go-to for trying to sell their poo poo to women so why not try it to hire them?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Citizen Tayne posted:

Good. I eagerly look forward to the collapse of Texas.

texas collapsed for most residents of texas a while ago. the collapse of The Texas Miracle™ can't come soon enough.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Citizen Tayne posted:

I worked in Dallas/Fort Worth in 1999. I, a 19 year old kid from a dying Appalachian coal mining town, was shocked and disturbed by the levels of poverty that I saw.

i grew up in SC and lived in Asheville NC for a bit and it still disturbs me. what really surprises me is just how hard the transition is between the "bad" and "good" neighborhoods.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

and yet tech companies can't seem to even imagine anything outside of dinky 7x7 sf.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

computer parts posted:

some sv types already realized that they don't need to live in sv but now they're all coming to austin and surprise they're still worthless shitheads

it sucks that they are here but they are putting the established power structure of austin in an amusing bind because they love preening over the attention given to Austin and adore the sv types' money but don't like that the techies don't care about the symbolic pet government projects like erecting a $175k statue to honor the homeless and are bidding housing values into the stratosphere resulting in massive hikes in property taxes.

"oh yeah austin is great, laid back, fun... what the gently caress don't move here arrrg you ruined everything!"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

when I was attending the focus groups for austin's planned rail and bus rapid transit build out the planners' faces would absolutely light up when I mentioned being in urban NoVA.

too bad nimbyism combined by the local tendency to value looking like you are helping over actually helping are working to doom the whole thing.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

in a park with a sit/lie ordinance!

it got tabled after the media caught wind of the absurdity.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Egan Yardley posted:

i know a guy who has like the only cj job in billings montana and he lives like a goddamn fuckin king on $75k/yr

if i were to move back to SC I could cut my housing costs to less than 8% of my salary.

some things are not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Progressive JPEG posted:

all at-grade transit is complete horseshit (incl buses)

any at-grade lines are just the planner wanting it to be unused and inevitably fail

at-grade is fine once you hit the first ring of suburbs. there is no reason to bury commuter rail when land values are dirt cheap.

shared right of way is dumb as poo poo though.

• Locked thread