Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Remember when Abbott promised to be the Prime Minister of Indigenous affairs? I guess he just forgot about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

quote:

Patriotic Australian letters were posted in Aquinas College at Menai and surrounding suburbs. Reference was made to the 'spineless attack on the Life Guards at North Cronulla Beach. All Australians are called upon to unite and strike down the young men of 'Middle Eastern' appearance.

I didn't know this happened, which is weird considering it's my old high school. Our english teacher all made us do a speech about the Cronulla riots which was a horrible day because I'm pretty sure at least 80% of the class were glad the riots happened, and a couple of kids talked like they had gone down and gotten involved. The Shire is poo poo.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Amethyst posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0709-zt1rf.html

What on earth do these idiots think they're doing? This poo poo seems reckless.

The Howard government was poo poo at this stuff for their first few years in office. Having no clue when it comes to world affairs is just the Liberal party way.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
John Garnaut has an article in Fairfax with a quote saying Julie Bishop's the best Foreign Minister since Gareth Evans

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/dizzying-schedule-of-a-foreign-minister-in-control-20140711-zt44p.html

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Putin is coming to Australia for the G20 in November. I'm sure he'll get a nice friendly welcome.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Goffer posted:

So there's talk of sanctions against Russia, etc. The UN Security Council will meet in an urgent meeting to discuss action about the tragedy.

Who's the head of the security council again?

Oh right-

UNSC presidency changes every month, Rwanda currently have the presidency with the UK taking over next month.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Abbott should learn from this comment by the Malaysian PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/22/w...av=lede-package

quote:

Mr. Najib said that at times over the past few days he had wanted to be more outspoken about events in Ukraine, “but sometimes, we must work quietly in the service of a better outcome.”

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

Scott Morrison asked Brett Lee and Glenn McGrath to sign some cricket bats for him.

They asked what for.

He told them it was to help grease the wheels to return people seeking asylum to places they were fleeing.

They agreed to do it.

gently caress it, TOML was right all along.

I guess it might be awkward next time they bump into Fawad Ahmed.

At least we still have Chappell http://www.unrefugees.org.au/about-us/special-representatives/ian-chappell

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Now useless tory shitheel Brett Lee is also saying he didn't know what the bats were for:

Oh boo hoo. He signs almost 2 bats a day in a calendar year.

To be fair to Lee, we don't actually know how much of a Tory shitheel he is. We know he thought Abbott would be a great PM, but he also lives in Abbotts electorate and may have just desperately wanted to captain the PM's XI. It's not like the Telegraph actually provided proof that either he or Mcgrath knew what the bats were going to be for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
In the Minister for Justices speech he seems to refer to "new" psychoactive substances. So I guess all existing ones are okay?

quote:

It will be up to a person whose goods have been seized on suspicion of being a new psychoactive substance to show why they should be returned to them. If an importer cannot do this—for example, by showing that the goods have a legitimate use—their goods will be destroyed.

These measures will not apply to imports for a legitimate purpose. Foods, medicines, industrial, agricultural and veterinary chemicals may all be psychoactive, but they serve important functions in our society and economy. They should not, and will not, be caught up in this regime.

• Locked thread