Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Murodese posted:

Got the usual Liberal propaganda in the mail today, but it had a reasonably interesting article in it that's somewhat indicative of the suburb I live in:

Be kinda interesting to see how many suburbs they'd actually run something like that in. Obviously his local polling has not been particularly good for the Libs on this.

I got beaten up by riot police trying to stop refugees being sent to Yongah Hill :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
Also is the ABC Fact Check ever going to stick to a reasonably simple scale or would that stop them from being able to weasel out of ever displaying something resembling a judgement

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Captain Pissweak posted:

"Welcome to Australia, how white are ya."

Skype's good enough for a swatch test, surely?

To some extent I'm kind of glad this information's coming out, in the sense that I knew horrible poo poo was happening and wasn't being reported on.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
In some uncharacteristically not-poo poo news, Alinta Energy have concluded that a Concentrating Solar Thermal plant is technologically feasible for replacing the coal-fired stations at Port Augusta, and less risky than a hybrid fuel plant.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Freudian Slip posted:

Hey QM, at my work we have been doing some work looking at the increased cost due to the proposed changes to both Medicare and the PBS.

It is under embargo till 1am Monday, but I think the Greens will be interested in the results. Is there a way the right people can get a heads up so that we are on the front foot come Monday morning?

Absolutely, I can call or email Richard's office, I'm sure they'll be happy with more ammunition.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Sydney? ugh I wish I had money to travel

I think there are some reimbursal options for YGs to go, but I'd have to look into it.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Ler posted:

Hahaha, imagine that one day we get PM Morrison

And before anyone says this is ridiculous: Prime Minister Anthony John Abbott.

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

Usually coming to this thread makes me so depressed, I stay away. Haven't been doing that for the past few days, so I thought I'd lighten everyone's mood (including my own) and share a little story of mine.

Remember when I was volunteering helping the asylum seeker family? I stopped doing it (had no funds for petrol at the time), and received a phone call at work just the other day. It was the father of the family, who I hadn't talked to in about twelve months.

He had a lot to say, though what stood out was his greatly improved English - he can talk without having to pause and think about his words, and has reached a stage where anyone off the street could understand him clearly. He is working six days a week as a labourer, a field he wanted to continue to work in. His children are still attending school, and they are doing very well. The eldest one is in high school now.

Just thought I'd share it with you guys.

This is pure :3: though

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Fruity Gordo posted:

A good rusted on labor mate of mine who works for doug Cameron is in severe denial and very very angry that I'm a member of the greens. Last time we had a political discussion he straight up and left the party we were at because he got so angry at me calling him out.

Tom or Leon?

I am so glad this keeps getting used you guys have no idea. Possibly the best image I've ever made. Just FYI if anyone ever needs it again, I have the original.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
Why am I listening to loving Leyonhjelm talking about removing the CSIRO and ABC, why do I listen to the trainwreck that is loving libertarianism, why do I hate myself

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
"Nobel Prize winning economist Joseph Stiglitz says you're wrong about industrial relations law and its effect on the economy."

"Yes, but you see, supply and demand."

Did it ever occur to you for even a *moment* that maybe Stiglitz knows what he's talking about and you don't, you libertarian hick

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Fruity Gordo posted:

Tom, the dipshit. :3:

Bam

I don't know how you people can live keeping Young Labor hacks or worse, Young Liberal scum on your Facebooks. I mean yeah, knowing them socially, whatever, but I couldn't deal with that.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

open24hours posted:

Most of the people I've seen claim that economics is junk are only too happy to use economic arguments if they support their position.

[edit: related http://www.crab.rutgers.edu/~goertzel/mythsofmurder.htm ]

I'm fine with economics as a broadly predictive discipline. "If I do X, Y, Z, what will happen to the economy?"

The trouble is when economists start making moral declarations about what should happen in society.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Fruity Gordo posted:

I've got a meeting on union militancy afterwards but I am open to piking.

E: it's in a pub and the people are pretty chill though, so we could even just goonmeat there.

I'm planning to go to that meeting as well so if we got a third goon I think that'd automatically count as a goonmeet

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Senators swearing in on bibles as we hand Tamils back to Sri Lanka.

Matthew 25:31-46, NIV posted:

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Nibbles141 posted:

Would just pointing at the US and saying "that's what they'd like our health system to be like" be enough to turn anyone off the idea?

Yes, it is. I know we're feeling very doom and gloom in here but this is literally the most unpopular government Australia has ever seen. They're not winning hearts and minds here.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Influx, 1941 posted:

I support international efforts to resettle genuine Jewish refugees from Germany in reasonable, sustainable numbers.

I cannot, however, condone the illegal actions of people smugglers, transporting wealthy Jewish economic migrants, and it is paramount that if they are discovered they must be refouled back to the SS at earliest convenience.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Negligent posted:

so QM you support an unlimited refugee intake?

I sure as poo poo don't support throwing asylum seekers back to be tortured and ethnically cleansed, nope

Also you know that the wealthy asylum seekers don't pay people smugglers, right, they just buy passports and fly here?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Negligent posted:

that wasnt the question, do you go along to greens policy meetings and argue for an unlimited refugee intake?

"Ah-hah," Influx says, feverishly posting, "I've got those leftards now! Clearly by recognising that throwing asylum seekers, who will literally never stop coming as long as there are refugees, in concentration camps or throwing them back home to be tortured is odious, spiteful and wasteful, they must support an INFINITE refugee cap!!!"

His eyes, unfocused, manic, a thin stream of drool trickling down one lip, he hammers the post button, hugging himself a little to ward off the shakes. They're coming back harder, now. The voices are clearer. He won't be diverted though, oh no, he knows their tricks and their games. All aspects of the powerful economic migrant lobby, the sweet nothings of wealthy refugees and those accursed people smugglers! The voices won't get him, oh no, not this time.

He turns to the small portrait of Scott Morrison in its simple pine frame. This time he had an ally. A weapon. Morrison had stopped the boats to our borders. Surely he could stop the boats to his soul?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Splode posted:

QM seriously stop just ignore him and wait for xylo to mop up in the morning. We're talking about something else now.

edit: See look what you've done he posted again.

Man when you have the idea for loving gold like that you don't just let it lie

Ain't no gettin offa this train we on, only the train is shitposting and I'm the conductor, and I'm going to suplex that motherfucker into a sea of 5s

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Splode posted:

Speaking of which, why don't you post in the GBS thread?

Generally because I'm permanently like seventeen kajillion posts behind

I keep trying to catch up but you people never stop talking

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Bifauxnen posted:

Oh yeah, I heard FF7 was on steam too, maybe I should get that, it's been ages since I played it. What about FF6, though?

For FF6, just use VirtualBoy and :filez: the GBA version, it's less of a completely broken buggy poorly translated piece of poo poo and the true brilliance shines through.

Also for FF7, it's more :filez: but if you use the original PC version there's a whole host of mods you can download that make it so much better.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
Apparently Simon Sheikh, the Great Green Hope for the ACT, has just shut down a bunch of the branches of the business he owns outside the ACT, kicking out a bunch of young employees with 1-2 days notice.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

ROFLBOT posted:

Doesnt exactly sound like a vote to save the CT, just a vote to give him more time?

It saves the CT temporarily. This is the time when we goonrush his office with flowery explosive praise for saving the carbon price and hoping that he will continue his principled and thoughtful stance for Australia's future

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

hooman posted:

Madigan will vote to repeal the tax, but believes really strongly in the processes and procedures of the senate. Hence opposing the gag.

I thought Madigan had said he'd changed position on the carbon price in the last couple of months? Am I just making that up?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Bifauxnen posted:

Here's the link to do a quickie contact through the Parliament website:

http://www.aph.gov.au/Senators_and_Members/Contact_Senator_or_Member?MPID=250024

If you're actually in his state of Victoria though, a proper letter might be worth the extra effort. I can't seem to find any postal address, though.

Level 4, Treasury Place
Melbourne, VIC, 3002

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Hypation posted:

Procedural motions can be tricky: A vote on the motion to call a vote to repeal an act ... Ummm, yeah well I want No Carbon Tax - so I vote "nay".

Wait ... what just happened?

Apparently Muir has said he supports renewable energy, so it might not be this.

On the other hand, if it WAS a mistake, nothing says we can't convince him to keep making it.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Let's note something here. My wife works at a motel. It's fairly nice for a small town motel, all things considered. You get your own shower and bathroom, TV, your own bed and 1 meal a day, along with laundry and cleaning service. It costs $92/day to stay at this motel, depending on the room - $33,580 a year.

You could literally put up more than ten asylum seekers at this motel for the cost of keeping one in offshore detention.

Let me reiterate

It costs ten times more to throw asylum seekers in offshore detention camps than it does to give them a room at a motel

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
The trouble with the fuel excise is that petrol is a highly inelastic commodity. It doesn't respond well to price signals at all, so the fuel excise doesn't really cut consumption.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Found in the bag of a Labor Right hack after EdCon.

Yes, Labor, tell me more about how trots talk too much about the working class and neoliberalism :allears:

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Lata jie posted:

In regards to the fuel issue.. can we look into the government maybe adding an incentive towards people wanting to buy an electronic vehicle? It would cut out a whole heap of pollution, and while I know that at this point, the distance of these cars isn't that great, this won't always be the case. Or one could end up with an infrastructure with multiple charge points along the way.. I'm dreaming. (And I would really really like to own an EV, however the current price tag is slightly out of my reach)

EVs are unfortunately just not quite where they need to be to replace ICEs. Of course, not doing anything about it isn't going to help that shift at all, but I think we'll be seeing a huge benefit after the new Tesla megafactory in the US.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

quote:

To be clear, Palmer was upset apparently because once the senate went into its committee phase, which is happening now until 11.50am, NEW amendments cannot be introduced. That is, he had no hope of getting his power price guarantee up.

hooman posted:

It's interesting that there is a lot of discussion on regressive measures when it comes to pollution issues. I agree that a fuel excise is a regressive measure but at the moment people are consuming and burning fuel at a rate far below what the world economy is paying for it. The downside of producing that amount of pollution *should* be the cost of it, supporting the idea of a carbon tax. Unfortunately when it comes to people the majority of us have a minimum emissions level, that is produced in every day life, so as soon as we start taxing this impact on the environment it is a regressive tax.

I'm still personally not sure what position the greens should take. To say "we won't negotiate" is definitely the wrong call. To link % of the money raised to public transport infrastructure is the right one. If the decision though is between either no fuel excise or fuel excise going to 100% roads, on the balance I'd have to say no fuel excise as it will protect Australians more and the greens should be pushing "We want to tax big polluters, not everyday Australians for emissions!"

This is why the best action, if market mechanisms absolutely have to be a thing, is instituting a market mechanism with a low-income subsidy. Ultimately the cost to SOCIETY of carbon emissions has to rise, but that doesn't mean the cost has to be entirely borne by low-income earners.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Hypation posted:

Carbon pricing is regressive - so if being regressive is bad you can't be for the carbon price.

Except that the carbon price included targeted subsidies to remove the regressive aspect. It's a lot more difficult to do that with the fuel excise.

SadisTech posted:

[Citation Needed]

No citation needed. Carbon pricing in and of itself is regressive - ANY sort of consumption tax is regressive. There are acts you can take (levying it only on higher income earners/businesses, income subsidies) that make it not regressive though.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

:allears:

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

The Courier posted:

Ricky Muir is moving out of the shadow of Clive Palmer, describing his agreement with the Palmer United Party as nothing more than a ''loose alliance'' and warning the government not to assume he will vote with PUP.

The Australian Motoring Enthusiast Party senator's claim to independence provides another headache for the Coalition, which will attempt for a third time on Monday or Tuesday to corral a chaotic crossbench into voting to abolish the carbon tax.

In his first interview since arriving in Canberra, Senator Muir, who expects to help kill the carbon tax this week, revealed an agenda far wider than simply pushing the interests of motorists.

The so-called ''rev-head senator'' outlined personal passions that include organic food, which he grows and eats from his garden in rural Victoria, preventive healthcare, which he is interested in championing at a political level, and renewable energy, following his surprise intervention last week to protect the Australian Renewable Energy Agency from the government's budget knife.

With questions over whether the PUP senators, Glenn Lazarus, Jacqui Lambie and Dio Wang would remain together on every vote, Senator Muir stressed his agreement with the bloc boiled down to being ''together but autonomous''.

''The memorandum of understanding [signed with PUP] did say, and I stand by it, we will work together where practical. But we're going to need to do our own research on every different topic and then work together where practical.''

In his first week, Senator Muir has shown a willingness to vote in opposition to the PUP party line in some cases, surprising the government.

Glenn Druery, Senator Muir's political adviser said: ''A politician in the NSW Parliament said to me many years ago 'Don't look at what I say but what I do'. Look what Ricky has done. On day one, day two he showed his autonomy but today [Thursday] he was with Palmer. Who knows what is going to happen next week.''

Senator Muir revealed a broad belief in the environment, renewable energy and organic food. ''Just because someone is a motoring enthusiast doesn't mean they are an environmental vandal,'' he said. ''I don't think many people would argue that renewable energy is the way of the future.''

Asked whether he would use his balance of power influence to push for preventive health programs, he said: ''I will certainly look at it with a very open mind, that's for sure.''

Senator Muir said he would oppose the government's plans to raise petrol excise because not all excise revenue went into roads.

On the $7 Medicare co-payment and cuts to pensions he said: ''That's one I haven't looked into very much … Again, it's hitting the lower to mid income earners where it hurts.''

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2413319/after-a-week-of-clive-muir-ready-to-rev-up/

Ricky Muir - secret Green?!

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
They revealed that polling in the division meeting I went to on Friday and asked us not to spread it around until today. The room cheered when Pyne losing his seat was brought up.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

schadenfreude.jpg

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
IPA recommends the government go to a double-dissolution election

:regd08:

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

British Pimp posted:

Clive Palmer is perfectly consistent. It doesn't take much more than a google search to understand his modus operandi. I always get a bit of a chuckle reading these AusPol threads and social media and seeing how many people are duped in to thinking he is on their side. The guy created his own football federation because the FFA wouldn't let him get away with murder and now he's done EXACTLY the same thing in politics. His conduct with all of his businesses and loving over employees consistently has been as deplorable and is all pretty well documented. The enemy of your enemy isn't always your friend.

No legitimate poster in this thread (IWC is a troll poster) thinks Clive Palmer is "on our side" by anything but chance. We mostly just stand around hoping his populist weathervane goes the correct way. He's honestly proved far more of an asset to progressive causes in the Senate than he has a detriment so far, aside from the carbon price.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

adamantium|wang posted:

Carbon tax repeal has been delayed again.

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Shared this on the local Greens page, because I love it.

• Locked thread