Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Your grandpa sounds awesome teacup, and I hope he's doing okay.

I can't think of any good way to segue from that, but how was the irc channel last night? Wish I could've seen it, I was too busy to log in during Q&A when it was live. But I was watching later last night once I finally got my transcript done, and between the great audience questions and Di Natale just knocking it out of the park, I thought it was a pretty good show for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

自殺しなさい

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sir Shion posted:

You become more like us with every passing day.

What? I never knew you guys were weeaboos! poo poo!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Whatever the result is, it would need to be encased in an emptyquote.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Small Keating posted:

Tangentialchat.

This reminds me, don't those providers pretty much sit on their rear end more than usual for any people freshly on Newstart, since they can't get that sweet kickback money until the person becomes long-term unemployed?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Small Keating posted:

I should point out that the entire business model of the mob I am consulting with presently is to essentially take all the functions of the job network agency, away from the job network agency, in return for a cut of the eventual profits (about $1k per client plus more if they get placed and stay placed).

We ring the clients up to place them in the course (also something the agencies suck at: when they place them, we get about 4 confirmed trainees; when we place them, we get 20), train them, give them a free Android laptop to job hunt and generally tool around with, clothe them, spit-polish them, do a resume build, do a speed interview session, and then call the employers and place them.

The agencies fill in all the paperwork.

Sounds like these guys are actually doing some good work. It's disgusting that those useless providers are just skimming off the top for doing jack all. How come this firm can't just get all the government money directly for doing the same stuff?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I still remember one of the providers I went to, I couldn't even attach a resume file to my gmail because of the dumb security settings they had on all their computers.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Just realized this actual content should probably be cross-posted in this thread. Brisbane has a Bust the Budget rally coming up this Sunday.

quote:

11am Sunday July 6
Queens Gardens, Brisbane CBD
(cnr of George and Elizabeth Sts)

Chair: Robin Taubenfeld
Speakers:
· Opening and welcome by Sam Watson, Aboriginal Elder
· Peter Simpson, Queensland Branch Secretary, Electrical Trades Union
· Duncan Hart, National Union of Students
· Dr Brian Senewiratne, Consultant Physician and human rights advocate
· Melissa Lucaschenko, aboriginal writer and Walkley Awards winner
· Adrian Skerritt, The Cloudland Collective

Entertainment by Josh Donellan, spoken word poet and Jenny Pineapple, musician.

A march through the city is scheduled to commence at 12 noon.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

THIS IS OUR COUNTRY!
I am a White, Conservative, Tax-Paying, God fearing Australian.

Bet he's not!

quote:

7. No Social Security until you have earned it and paid for it!

Yup, called it.

STOP FOLLOWING ME YOU BLOODY YANKS

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Senators swearing in on bibles as we hand Tamils back to Sri Lanka.

Haha, even before I scrolled past the photo and read that, I was thinking good on Ludlam for not using one.

You know, back when I had my citizenship ceremony, I was the only drat person to not do my pledge on a bible? I had to do my "version" of the pledge (with the God bit removed) by myself too, once the first group was done. :mad:

e: well wait, there might not have been actual bibles for everybody, even if it was a small group. Can't remember cause I wouldn't have had one either way. But I did still have to do my different version separately.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Amethyst posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0706-3bgjc.html

Hell yeah. Make everything a loan! More personal debt, spew it all over the place!

Yeah! HECS-style loans for absolutely everything! Why don't we give everyone the option to get a government loan to use for anything at all, up to a certain amount per year, every year! And then just like HECS, they only have to pay it back if they're making more money, enough to be over the threshold...

Huh, this is starting to sound a lot like mincome plus progressive taxation. Maybe that option would be easier.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, uh... can't get fooled again!

Negligent posted:

how many tamil refugees seekers are living with you atm amethyst?

None. They're all at my place. Problem over!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murodese posted:

Are you ok, Influx? I'm genuinely worried this is going to end up like last time and you're going to hurt yourself again.

If you want to give me a call, pm me for my number - I'm more than happy to help you in any way possible. If you don't want to talk to me, please talk to lifeline (131114) or beyondblue (1300224636). We're all worried about you, please don't go any further.

What happened last time, and how can we replicate it?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murodese posted:

The last time he was acting exactly like this, he massively flipped the gently caress out and got banned for a month. I'm pretty sure he has bipolar or something, because it seems pretty varaible.

Hmm. Maybe we should start actually replying to a couple of his GBS posts instead so he stays busy over there. I mean when even the GBS shitposters are doing a pretty drat good job of ignoring most of your posts and not bothering to reply with their usual bullshit, that's got to mess with a dude's self-esteem.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm playing Cave Story+, it's way more fun.

I didn't even have to waste a co-payment on it either, I got it ages ago already in a Humble Bundle and just hadn't got around to actually playing it yet.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Man when you have the idea for loving gold like that you don't just let it lie

Ain't no gettin offa this train we on, only the train is shitposting and I'm the conductor, and I'm going to suplex that motherfucker into a sea of 5s

Oh yeah, I heard FF7 was on steam too, maybe I should get that, it's been ages since I played it. What about FF6, though?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Anemone Thief posted:

oh for gently caress's sake

nevermind the bogans that stab people all the time, let's turn all the boats back

:suicide:

If only we could have a big front page story with a stupid headline like this for every single time a white dude commits a notable crime.

CRACKER CRIMS
WHITEY WENT WACKO
"THE MAN" KILLS A MAN
WASPS CAUGHT IN STING

:golfclap:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mithranderp posted:

Damnit, I feel inadequate because I don't even have an avatar, let alone pissing off someone enough for them to give me one :( someone come argue with me about something.

Why are you so worried about these imprisoned kids, huh? What are you, some kind of do-gooder? Listen, these people are probably all terrorists and it really scares me, so why are you confusing me with all these suggestions that not letting them in might be kind of bad?!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Amethyst posted:

Yeah someone needs to be massaging this guy's ego over this, now.

Here's the link to do a quickie contact through the Parliament website:

http://www.aph.gov.au/Senators_and_Members/Contact_Senator_or_Member?MPID=250024

If you're actually in his state of Victoria though, a proper letter might be worth the extra effort. I can't seem to find any postal address, though.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Gough Suppressant posted:

loving queue jumper

Whichever one of them flips out and kills the other can be the whitey that went wacko.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I saw some of the Greens debate going on about this as well. I think the best move would be to not vote for the fuel excise unless the money's all going into developing better alternatives to more roads. And the Greens need to push that hard as their bargaining chip that would get them to vote. Cause otherwise it's a lose-lose: vote for the excise and you're loving over people who don't have alternatives yet, but don't vote for it and the Greens are "betraying their principles" by not putting a higher price on emissions whenever possible.

But if there's those conditions there that would get the Greens to vote for it, we can make the message clear while avoiding that issue of loving over rural people. Cause I'm pretty sure the government would never agree to the Green's conditions when Abbott's got such a hardon for roads roads roads and more roads.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

:woop:

Looks like there might actually be some truth to Ricky Muir having an interest in green energy? Anyone who didn't already write him to fluff his newbie senator ego for yesterday's vote against gagging the debate should write him now to praise him for voting down the repeal:

Quickie online contact form from the Parliament website:
http://www.aph.gov.au/Senators_and_Members/Contact_Senator_or_Member?MPID=250024

Postal address (thanks QM):

Level 4, Treasury Place
Melbourne, VIC, 3002

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hypation posted:

The level of misogyny required to come to an alternative understanding should be too high for Australians to tolerate.

Hahahahaha.

Wait, this is D&D, I need some actual content.

adamantium|wang posted:

The immigration minister, Scott Morrison, has been contacted for comment.

Hahahahaha.

...drat it, I tried.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hypation posted:

Well don't post in AusPol then.

Reported for low content.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Cartoon posted:

“(But) recent events have highlighted the need for further measures to ensure Australians engaged in terrorist activities are not receiving payments,"

This sentence just made me laugh cause presumably, we are investigating possible terrorists anyway just for the sake of, you know, stopping terrorism in the interests of stuff not getting blown up. In fact, I believe this process is going on completely separate from the issue of whether they get welfare, or how much.

I think just maybe, if we actually did get enough dirt on someone to make them a convicted terrorist, once we'd thrown them in jail it shouldn't be too hard to also cancel their Newstart or whatever. But that's just me!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sanguine posted:

It's a little concerning if it leads to ASIO oversight of all welfare recipients just in case.

Yeah, sorry, that's what I was trying to get at - why are these idiots acting like we need to build in all this extra :siren:terror watch:siren: stuff into receiving welfare when it would add a ton of red tape to a big system containing a shitload of people who aren't terrorists. And when there's already a separate existing system for investigating terrorism, which presumably would not be suddenly outclassed by some new elite Centrelink CTU squad.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Ricky Muir - secret Green?!

This would be amazing if it's true. His Facebook page already had a bunch of culture warriors crying about his "betrayal" even before he actually voted against the carbon tax repeal. They were so upset that he wouldn't even follow along to vote to gag the debate about it beforehand. Their whole thought process was: likes cars = ANTI-GREEN TEAM = roll some Confederate coal = OH MY GOD YOU DIDN'T VOTE TO DESTROY THE PLANET AT ANY OPPORTUNITY, YOU ARE A TRAITOR TO OUR CAUSE

This could be an unending source of amusement in such dark times.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Negligent, I guess I don't get the point of your arguments? Do you actually think Australia's got a big problem with too many refugees coming in? And even if we decided to agree with you and conceded this was true, do you find this more problematic than the fact that the people we're detaining are being literally tortured?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

It's like you come in here sounding so goddamn angry that us IDIOTS can't just wake up that there's too many refugees coming in, it's so obvious!!!! Man, if you get that worked up over a nuanced economic issue of balancing needs, I wonder how much more angry you get about a much more blatant moral outrage like kids in detention! You must really be holding yourself back, huh!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Negligent posted:

unless you support unrestricted migration, (do you?) you support a limited number of people coming.

If there's that many people showing up here that are found to be genuine refugees, then yes, I'm all for letting them swarm the place because rejecting them and sending them back to where they came from would be refoulement.

(Note: if we processed these people in the community rather than offshore detention, it would cost less. And thus our capacity for how many we could handle would actually increase.)

In the unlikely case that we end up with so many drat refugees that we just can't possibly process them in the community, we could look at other options like seeing if there's other places they could go. But these places should not be suicide camps. And realistically, when you look at how many refugees we actually get compared to other parts of the world, we really aren't there yet to where we should act like we have to worry about this.

You seem to be coming at this thinking that since there has to be some limit, some theoretical figure out there where these 2nd-law-of-thermodynamics-breaking infinite refugees need to be stopped, we should just suck it up and accept that some eggs are gonna get cracked. So shoving people into completely inhumane detention centres and depriving them of their right to even properly make their claims in the first place is now magically morally justified!

I'm saying before we even get to the point of figuring out if we've gone over the limit or not, we need to give them their due process of actually processing their claims to find out if they're eligible, and this first step just isn't happening. IF we got that sorted out, and IF we then found we were taking on way too many refugees for us to handle, (I think we have vastly different ideas of that limit, but whatever) we would indeed have a moral dilemma of what to do. But it's really disingenous to argue about that when we're already treating genuine refugees like animals and flouting our responsibilities before we even find out whether they're genuine or not!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The one bright point of these lovely arguments is the wonderful analogies people come up with. I think that's my favorite so far, Splode.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Negligent posted:

Edit: that doesn't even work properly

Man I wish I could emptyquote.

So Negligent, just now you claimed you don't support detention. I still don't get what you're even arguing with us for.

You still haven't answered why you think this limiting of refugees is such a concern when we aren't even meeting our most preliminary obligations of properly processing their claims, and not inflicting horrible human rights abuses on them while they wait.

When boats are getting turned around and people are getting spirited away so we can pretend like we don't have any obligation to even look at their claims, who gives a gently caress what the limit is? This government is making sure we'll never even come close to your Complex Problem Zone where a limit is the slightest bit relevant.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Negligent posted:

Well you can sit around all day and try to outdo each other over who is more outraged at the government and i guess that is okay but I want to go to what is the actual alternative to what is happening now. The fact is asylum seekers aren't going to go away, something has to be in place to deal with them, and I've tried to explain what i think that is.

So the point of all your arguing about how we should accept a limit on refugees is out of some belief that the government will stop being completely evil in how it treats refugees so long we can accept a set limit on how many it will take in?

e: I don't think this can be what you're arguing because it makes no sense, seriously, I don't even get the point.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Negligent posted:

No I'm saying Australia is almost unique in the world in that a humanitarian visa is the equivalent of permanent residency. It's this that is causing the limit because it conflatea general and refugee intakes. Every other developed country e.g. EU has temporary refugee visas of some sort.

If we all said "Sure, let's do that from now on" and mobilized to get that message out to our personal networks and MPs, do you think this would make them suddenly less interested in stopping the boats? Is this why the government believes it's acceptable and justified to imprison children, lock people up indefinitely in squalor and tell them they shouldn't even try coming here? Is our lack of embracing the temporary refugee visa the reason they're driven to such evil measures?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Splode, you shouldn't use analogies for what analogies are good for.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Negligent posted:

You only want to discuss the things you can get outraged about, i understand. Riding a high horse is really fun.

We saw you posting in GBS you know, so good luck pretending that thread doesn't exist.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Negligent posted:

You mean like that time the prime minister described syria in terms of goodies and baddies? Yeah analogies are great for internet comedy and bad for discussing complex world events.

That was an excellent analogy, actually. It got across his horrible views very clearly and accurately!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Dennis the Truth Bomb Koala.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Instead of that lovely misogynist grade-school level "little dogs" graphic, they could just repost this story and get almost the same message across.

• Locked thread