Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013

Cartoon posted:

Presented without comment:

Holy loving poo poo it's real.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/policy/advocates-coaching-asylumseekers-to-selfharm-for-political-reasons/story-fn9hm1gu-1226985002855?utm posted:

A FORMER director of offshore processing in Australia’s immigration detention camps claims asylum-seekers are coached and encouraged to attempt self-harm by refugee advocates who then use the incidents as political capital.

Greg Lake made his strident ­attack on “certain refugee advocates” whose behaviour “is at odds with their mandate as advocates” as the Refugee Action Coalition backed down from claims in a press release on Monday that up to “10 mothers in the family camp have attempted suicide in the last two days on Christmas Island”.

(Greg Lake quit in April last year)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013

in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013

in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013

quote:

SARAH FERGUSON: Let me just move on. The Human Rights Commissioner Gillian Triggs says that virtually all of the 174 children on Christmas Island are sick. Children are self-harming, biting themselves, banging into furniture, swallowing poisons. How can this possibly be justified?

SCOTT MORRISON: Well I don't believe that's true, for a start. Under this government we've reduced the number of children in detention by almost 35 per cent. The number of children on Christmas Island has dramatically reduced by over 60 per cent. Under this government, we've funded children going to school in detention. On Nauru, we've funded the establishment of facilities, including schools ...

I realise this is 2 days old but is there any reason i shouldn't just kill myself in the middle of sydney town hall in protest right now

• Locked thread