Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Way to steal my nationals joke.

nice op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I, hambeet, heartily endorse this event or product

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

slingshot effect posted:

things were different then.

Wow.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Here is a friendly tax reminder that you can claim any HECS or HELP debt the year it was incurred instead of when you make a payment.

eg, you did two units at $2400 a pop in 13/14FY claim $4800 up front. Just don't claim it again when you make a payment, that is fraud you naughty person.

This is obviously only useful for those of you who are working and studying and your taxable income is above such a threshold where it would make a difference.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Shunkymonky posted:

"You cannot claim contributions you, or the Australian Government, make under HECS-HELP or repayments you make under the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) or the Student Financial Supplement Scheme (SFSS)."

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-Return/2013/Tax-return/Deduction-questions-D1-D10/D4---Work-related-self-education-expenses/

"If you take out a FEE-HELP or VET FEE-HELP loan to pay all or part of your tuition fees, and you meet the eligibility requirements for a deduction for self-education expenses, the whole tuition fee may be deductible."

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Studying-and-student-debt/In-detail/HELP/OS-HELP,-FEE-HELP-and-VET-FEE-HELP---tax-deductibility/

That being said I think they've tightened it up. The old PDF of the page I had that used to cover it never mentions about supported by the Commonwealth, which I take to mean a commonwealth supported place. Not 100% on that though.

You can't claim your payments ever, just it being incurred.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Yeah, looks like you can claim FEE-HELP (non-CSP) in the FY that the cost is incurred, but not HECS at all, and not FEE-HELP repayments.

Or this. Yes.

Never HECS, just HELP and only incurring the debt. The CSP thing was never mentioned when I did it, they must have changed that.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Mr Chips posted:

So if you pay the student contributions up front and the course is necessary for your current job's professional development, you can claim that amount as tax deductible work related self-education expense? Or am I reading something wrong?

No you claim it when you incur the HELP debt (not HECS) you can't claim the payments.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Oh wait you mean claim if you're paying in full up front? I think you can do that, as long as it's not a CSP apparently.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Haters Objector posted:

Reminder that all of those returned Tamils will be imprisoned, many of them will be tortured, and some of them may be killed.

but how does this relate to Master Chef? Or the Block?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Those loving pregnant teaching teachers.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Would anyone be interested in an Auspol OpenTTD game? It's a modern version of transport tycoon, run on a custom map based on Australia:

Here's a picture of NSW/VIC, but the map encompasses all of Australia:

how?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Wheezle posted:

The touching up on that photo is disturbing.

Yeah and they made his eyes disproportionately small.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Spacman posted:

You know what I like?

The Commonwealth cutting benefits for under 30's. Right before releasing numbers saying that over 15% of 15-24 year olds cant find a job.

You gunna be evil? Be really loving evil.

It's sorta part of the plan.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I love the effort he goes to with details. Gillards face on the negotiation book, Abbott's face on Shortens opposition book. The taped on 'ears' on the punching ball.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Is he in print anywhere?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

And shortens name being taken quite literally. Its never snything earth shattering but compared to what else is out there..

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Freudian Slip posted:

Hey all,

My girlfriend made an infographic of the Medicare co-payment work I released last week. Please feel free to share this.

Cheers

Thanks to TOML, Small Keating, Sisgmunds, Cleretic and Chicken Parma for their input.

You can find it here

http://www.beyondthehedgecreative.com/bthc_uploads/gpcp_final.jpg

That's really excellent. Funnily saw it on FB shared by you I guess, didn't know who you were though, came here to share it and :aaa:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

This is a little embarrassing. We have two infographics now. Good morning everyone.

It's on again with Den and Ken!

That's the single-image version; it's also available separated into 500x500 or 700x700 squares, which might be a better format for Twitter, definitely Tumblr, and even Facebook. Up to you! Anyway here's the link to those:

http://www.chickennation.com/2014/07/15/medicare-co-payments-infographitoon/

EDIT: Now on tumblr, for any of you who tumbl.

Noice.

One thing I heard on ABC radio the other day was that across the health system the GPs were actually the most cost efficient part. Applying the copayment at that stage risked reducing efficiencies at the GP (minor).

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Freudian Slip posted:

As I said in the super secret "No beets" club, that's awesome work as usual.

:(

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Jonah Galtberg posted:

If Labor manages to lose this election then this state deserves whatever it gets

pretty much

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Daniel Andrews is even blanker and more boring than Shorten

Yes he is very uncharismatic even though he's obviously had a lot of coaching since becoming op leader. Luckily Napthine is boring as well so it'll just be a battle of the borings.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

El Scotch posted:

Meads is the cornerstone case in Canada now that judges use when dealing with such people, everyone cites it as a short-hand for 'this is why I'm not listening to this bullshit.'

This remains my favourite one yet:

That the was a fantastic read. Cheers.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Nah we'll be putin out the red carpet for him.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's a solid chance that in the next reshuffle Scott Morrison will be promoted to Defence and our immigration policy won't change a bit.

more likely the portfolios will be combined.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Oh wait ettin beat me.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Small Keating posted:

The story of a brave man, riddled with cognitive dissonance (and gout), desperately clinging on to anything that will help him avoid having to admit that he has become everything he once hated.

Money helps. Lots of money.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gough Suppressant posted:

So you are working your 5th shift at a new place, and working with someone you have never met before.

What is the first thing after hello that you say to your coworker?

If you answered "a racist joke" then congratulations I have an opening for you.

gently caress me dead what the gently caress is wrong with people.

I guess statistically you're correct in assuming that a random white Australian you know nothing about is a racist fuckwit but still.

You obviously give off that sorta vibe and now they're comfortable with you.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Whoever posted last week that I work in the worlds worst bottleshop was prescient

At least you're not passing out in the cool room at your new place.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I forgot all about that.

That's probably a good sign right??

Depends on how your colleagues turn out. Maybe quietly passing out in the cool room would be a preferable alternative?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I heard Jon Faine refer to it today as the Peoples Republic of Moreland.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Obviously you just need to power it with a nuclear reactor.

Mr Fusion actually.

:goonsay:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Abbott's should be seen, not heard.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

quote:

Victorian Coalition trails Labor in latest poll ahead of November election

The Napthine Government is on track for an election defeat on November 29 despite clawing back some ground, according to the latest Age-Nielsen poll.

Just four months out from the state election, the Government is trailing Labor 46 per cent to 54 per cent on a two-party preferred basis.

Labor's primary vote is on 35 per cent, the Coalition on 41 per cent, the Greens on 16 per cent and the Palmer United Party (PUP) on 3 per cent.

However, the Coalition's two-party preferred vote climbing by five percentage points and support for Labor dropping by the same amount.

In the preferred Premier stakes, Denis Napthine leads Opposition Leader Daniel Andrews by eight points: 46 per cent to 38 per cent.

The poll of 1,000 Victorians conducted in the past week, identified health, education and jobs as the top three issues determining their vote, and Labor was identified as the best party to manage those areas.

Labor's vote is stronger among women, but weaker outside Melbourne's metropolitan area, according to the poll.

Why the bounce in the polls for the coalition? Anything of merit happened lately?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Pickled Tink posted:

Just going by what my consultant told me one day when he asked me to fill out some forms (My consultant is generally pretty cool and lets me reschedule where possible and knows certain dates are work days so he doesn't schedule appointments for them).

A job network gets a payout if you get work, the idea being that they have done at least some training, etc on how to get a bloody job (This I may be wrong about. I have very little in the way of a clue about this part). They get a bigger payout if they directly connect you to an employer and get you the job. The reason I was told this was because the government of the time found some JSAs were rorting the system by claiming direct credit for jobs people found on their own so they could get the big money so now unemployed people like myself need to sign a form beforehand declaring that yes, it was the JSA that referred us to that position, and we have to sign it before the interview, etc.

I'm actually about to leave to attend an appointment with mine, so I'll ask for a clarification and get back to you all on it.

Yes.

Depending on what level the job seeker is rated at. When I was there you could be classed on a scale from Stream 1 (most likely to find own employment and needing the least assistance) to Stream 4 (needs most assistance in finding work). The payouts for stream 1 are paltry, stream 4's obviously are the big ticket items but they are the job seekers who have a whole raft of issues that are perceived to be barriers to employment. eg. disabilities, homelessness, mental health, etc.

Basically when someone scores work and meets their obligations (eg 30+ hours a week to be classed as 'full time' or 15+ for those who only need to find 'part time') the agency gets some money. Then 13 weeks later if that person is STILL employed they get a final, bigger payment. Going back from memory (~2009) it was ~$500 for a Stream 1 over the two payments. A stream 4 however was something like $3000-$5000 deepening on a whole complicated set of criteria.

Of note, someone entering full time study was classed as meeting their obligation but the payment was significantly less.

The agencies also got money for each job seeker referred to them, Stream 1 was like $30? Stream 4 was a couple of hundred dollars. The agency ALSO got given funding attached to each jobseeker to spend on education or work experience activities if it got that far. S1 ~ $100? S4 $1500. This is what's known as the Employment Pathway Fund. If you ever find yourself on newstart and you're referred to a JSA, ask what stream you're on. If you're stream 1, try and get an assessment to get bumped to at least stream 2. You'll have high requirements (ie, you'll need to attend more frequently) but there is more funding attached to you and they are more interested in helping you out.

In my old job the stream 1's would come in for their first meeting and we wouldn't see them for 13 weeks. Those who kept coming back for further assistance were just shuffled off towards the computers to 'job seek' because we had no inclination to assist them because there was gently caress all cash allocated to them.

#disclaimer: poo poo could have changed in the 5 years since I've left but I still think it's similar.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 23, 2014

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

monolithburger posted:

This is still accurate from my recent experience.

Also, I think they bump you up to stream 2 after 24 weeks or so which I've just 'achieved' and means I get to go to a 5 hour 'employment readiness seminar' thing next week.

I'm numb with joy.

Ah yes they do progress you up the streams. Fun fact, that 5 hour 'seminar' they will bill the employment pathway fund for you attending that and class it as 'training'.

To explain a bit further there are two types of payments the agencies receive for each jobseeker. First is cash money, that is what the JSA gets given for each jobseeker referred and they can spend it on whatever. Staff, rent, stationary, your normal business revenue / income. Then there is also the Employment Pathway Fund (I don't think that's exactly what it's called but it's close enough). That money HAS to be spend on a jobseeker and the agency can't use it as revenue. So what agencies do is they run activities that let them invoice the EPF and turn it into general revenue. Some agencies will have teams of people just cold calling to bill this reverse marketing and have absolutely no intention of finding these people work. If they get someone a job, great! but really they're more interested in milking the cash cow.

Examples of this are the 'seminar' monolithburger is going to. Work Experience activities (what an agency will do is construct an activity that costs $X per job seeker but bill the EPF $Y (with Y being more) so they have a profit margin). The other big one is 'reverse marketing'. They would bill, $90 per hour of reverse marketing (can't remember if that's the cost). What this means is they get a resume and cold call employers (or pretend to) and then bill the EPF for this activity.

The way the financial modelling works is that for agencies to stay viable they need to be tapping into the EPF any way they can, the general revenue allocated at referral or per jobseeker wont cover operational costs on it's own so this 'shifting' of funds is the only way to make money. The branch I was at had (for example) ~$500,000 allocated in general payments over 12 months as well as ~$300,000 in EPF. What would happen though is your EPF would keep growing because you realistically couldn't claim it all in a year so the government says "oh yeah we allocate $x for job seeker in a year" but realistically would never ever spend anywhere close to that figure because at the end of the 3 year contract period all the remaining EPF funds get withdrawn from the agencies.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 24, 2014

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

In short: poo poo's fukt.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

froglet posted:

Hey look it's that time in the news cycle to demonise jobseekers some more.

News.com.au DON'T CLICK

The thing is, saying the job doesn't pay enough is an perfectly legitimate argument! If the job is going to pay you less than it costs you to clothe, feed and transport yourself there and have enough for rent and all those necessities, of course you'd turn it down.

And newstart pays better?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

norp posted:

It does if you have a 2hour daily commute by car to work minimum wage.

You dont have to accept work greater than 90min commute.

Anyhow 510 a fortnight is 255 a week or 6.71 an hour. Minimum wage is 16.87, $640.90 a week or $1281.80 a fortnight.

Does your car guzzle $385 in fuel a week? :confused:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Traveling in one direction I mean, that 90min commute. Not overall per day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Oh yeah the article is definitely a beat up.

• Locked thread