Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

In-thread link to Original Sin Release Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cugQ4pS_zOQ

Other cool trailers:

Release Trailer (June 30 2014)
Early Access Trailer (January 17 2014)
Spring is Coming (February 24 2014)
Beta Trailer (April 3 2014)
Kickstarter: Before and After Trailer

Divinity: Original Sin is a isometric sandbox RPG (with turn-based combat) in which you have a partner: controlled either manually in single-player, or optionally by another player in co-operative mode. It comes from Larian Studios, the team behind the Divinity Series. (Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, Divinity 2: Ego Draconis/Dragon Knight Saga/Developers Cut).

For this game, Larian is going back to the Ultima-like roots of Divine Divinity, where you could explore a vast world, interacting and moving any object you wished, and where secrets were hidden in every corner.

This PRE-ALPHA video they made for their tremendously successful Kickstarter campaign should tell you what is so awesome about this game better than I can in mere words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weUPfejQ7xE

The met their minimum funding goal and achieved almost all stretch goals.

OTHER INFORMATION

Divinity: Original Sin Manual

Divinity: Original Sin - Kickstarter and Alpha-Beta thread

What’s the story? Your two Source Hunters are sent to the besieged town of Cyseal - not to deal with the hordes of undead plaguing the area, but to investigate the murder of Jake, a local official who was murdered. It is suspected he was killed by the forbidden dark magic known as the Source. Your mission is to locate his killer and see they are brought to justice.

It is a prequel to Divine Divinity, taking place a couple hundred years before it, and it sets up some of the events of that game. What, I'm not sure yet.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the Divinity universe, here's a quick summary: Story of the Divinity Series Explained. Contains spoilers for Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, and Divinity 2.

Because the Beta was only of one of the areas, some of the Screenshots are still from pre-alpha days. I will replace them as the full version becomes available.

PRE-ALPHA SCREENSHOT:

Your Characters

You control one of two characters (“Roderick” and “Scarlett” by default), junior Source Hunters. The Source Hunters were created by the Council of Seven (Six races [Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Lizards, Imps] + wizards) to enforce a ban on the use of Source magic. You've been sent to the city of Cyseal to investigate the possible murder of a prominent citizen with the use of Source Magic.

How does the character system work?

See the FAQ for full details, but this will get you started:

• Strength – Increases chance to hit for (most) melee weapons, carrying capacity, throwing distance, what you can pick up. Higher quality weapons and equipment require more points into this attribute.
  • Dexterity – Increases chance to hit for for ranged weapons, and daggers, increases chance to evade attacks. Higher quality weapons and equipment require more points into this attribute.
  • Intelligence – Boosts the effectiveness of magic Spells and reduces the Cooldown of magic Spells.
  • Constitution – Influences the amount of hit points you have, and your resistance to poison. It also increases your maximum AP.
  • Speed – Influences how far you can walk (in combat) with one action point, and your defense against attacks. It plus Perception increase how much AP you get on the first turn of combat, and also increases how much AP you get on subsequent turns of combat.
  • Perception – Grants a bonus to sight and hearing, helps you figure out which the best dialogue options are when trying to persuade someone, and lets you spot traps and hidden things. It also, in combination with Speed, helps determine how much AP you get on the first turn of combat.

New characters start with 5 un-removable points in all of those, and 5 free points to allocate as you wish. Spend them wisely, because one attribute point in this game is worth a LOT more than in many other games, and you only get 1 attribute point every time you reach an even-numbered level.

You are Not Alone

Unlike most other games, the conversations and decisions about what to make are co-operative: Both characters have a voice and an opinion and they won’t hesitate to inject it into a conversation. This is meant to invoke the feeling of a pen-and-paper RPG where everyone sitting around the table gets involved in party decisions.

If you and your partner disagree on what to do, a dice roll behind the scenes (or a game of Rock-Paper-Scissors) will determine who prevails. The stats used for the argument are based on your Charisma ability, with occasional situational bonuses and penalties to using specific techniques (Intimidation, Charm, Reason) in a conversation. With enough points in Persuasion, you can learn what the bonuses or penalties are. There's also a Rock-Paper-Scissors minigame that you can use to try and win the argument.

Each decision builds a “personality profile” of each character, bit by bit. How the different personality profiles of both characters mesh together will determine the kind of relationship the two have at the end.

You can also have up to two additional characters accompany you, as well as two summoned creatures on the field to aid you in combat. There are two types of additional party members: Henchmen, who share a generic pool of backgrounds, but don't have a lot of character, and Companions. Companions are fully fleshed out characters with their own stories and personalities. They'll interject their own opinions into various things that happen on the quest, and you can have an influence on them with your responses.

Combat

Combat in Original Sin is somewhat like the earlier Fallout games. It’s turn-based, and what you can do depends on how many action points (AP) something costs. Inventory items will show how many AP it costs to use them on a tooltip. Moving your cursor around the screen will show you how many AP it will take to walk to there. Plan carefully, because all decisions are final.

Don’t expect to use the turn-based system to just stroll past a horde of bad guys to target a weak one in the back: if you pass too close, enemies can and will make attacks of opportunity.

It is possible to retreat from combat and lead monsters around, even into towns to attack/distract guards.

There are at least 9 different damage types, including three just for physical attacks (Crushing, Piercing and Slashing), and a lot of nasty status effects as well, like Frozen, Burning, and Stunned.

Combine Elemental Magic, Destroy your foes
Use your powers over Earth, Air, Fire, and Water to re-shape the battlefield to your will.

Throw barrels of oil next to an enemy, then hit it with a fireball to blow up several enemies at once. If an enemy is standing in water, a lightning bolt to the puddle will make it Electrified, ruining its day. If a puddle isn’t big enough, cast the rain spell to increase its size. Icy surfaces will make you and your opponents slip when walking across, and fireballs leave burning patches of ground in their radius.

Use these spells wisely, for the enemy will on you: Rain may put out a Burning party member, but when they’re Wet, they’ll take additional damage from Air-type attacks, such as Lightning. Wet enemies will take less damage from fire-based spells, so co-ordination is key.

Some spells like ice walls can be cast by selecting one end point, and dragging to decide where to place the other end point.

Co-operative
There will be LAN and Internet co-op play. The co-op is drop-in-and-play, if you’re playing single player another player can join in and take control of the other character, and if they leave, you get control of the other character back.

PRE-ALPHA SCREENSHOT:

It’s better to play with someone you trust, and not a jerk, because friendly fire IS in this game, and you and your partner are considered to be both the same faction, so if they run around pissing off the guards too much, you can get in trouble as well.

PRE-ALPHA SCREENSHOT:

Your party can split up as much as you want, as long as you stay on the same large map. If one person gets into a fight when not near the second player, the second player can continue to wander around in real-time all they want and even get into their own fights. (Of course, that could be a problem since the fights are balanced for at least two or more player units, but you CAN do that if you want.)

If one character dies, they are dead until you revive them with a Resurrection Scroll or spell. If both Source Hunters are dead, it's game over.

Decisions have consequences

Many (maybe all) quests have multiple consequences, some of which will only become apparent hours after you make the decision.

You can’t just walk into a house and steal things. If an NPC sees you moving their things, they’ll complain and get upset. They aren’t psychic, though, they have to see you moving them.

If you do get caught stealing, though, there’s an increasing number of penalties: first a warning, then a fine, then jail time. Once in jail there are multiple ways for your partner to get you out, or you can find a way to escape on your own.

Build Your Own Adventure

Larian is also going to be shipping the editor they used to create the game for free, so players can create their own adventures and share them. They can import their own graphics, models and sounds as well. There’s even a separate moddable version of the base campaign included so you can monkey around in the fully-fleshed out world (without breaking the original).

Is there any planned DLC? Not at this time. Larian dislikes the nickel-and-diming approach of most DLC. Any additional content they produce will likely be in an expansion pack with substantial content.

The existing DLC is stuff made for the Kickstarter backers, and made available for purchase for latecomers after requests.

When will this be released?
It's out right now for PC and Mac, with Linux to follow shortly. Available from Steam, GoG, the Larian Vault, and in selected retail stores.

Links
Reviews
(Older links removed)

Interviews and developer quotes
Dagons Lair - Interview with Swen Vincke (53 min.) (French with English subtitles)
IGN Article: Risking it all for jetpack dragons (added 04/02)
Total Biscuit – interview with Larian (2012)
PC Games Germany (German, added 04/03)
PCG Media Article - Why the hell should Larian get your money? (added 04/06)
RPG Gamer.com - Original Sin E3 2012 Interview (added 04/06)
Matt Chat Interview (1 hour, added 04/08.) Matt Chat interview summary here. (added 04/08)
Compilation of Larian quotes on Kickstarter (added 04/16, thanks to Norbyte!)
Weresheep of Original Sin - Steam Group
Twitch.TV – Kirill Live!

Developer Blog Entries

Note: Project E was the code name for Original Sin before the announcement

• Quality over Quantity in RPG’s

quote:

Sean R. in a comment on “The route to the very big RPG that will dwarf them all” wrote that one should prefer quality and uniqueness over quantity. He hit a note that doesn’t really feel right to me, given that I’m the one who likes both quality & uniqueness but also quantity when it comes to a RPG. However, there’s some evidence to suggest that he’s more right than I am, and that if forced to choose, you should always reduce the quantity.
  • The inspiration behind Original Sin

quote:

I consider Ultima VII: The black gate and Ultima VII: Serpent Isle to be among the best RPGs ever made, and in my mind there’s not been a single RPG since 1992 that surpassed them, including those now considered to be the industry benchmarks.
    So why was I talking about Ultima VII so much ?
    Well, for one, I was trying to explain that when making the first Divinity, my goal was to recreate the feeling I experienced when I played these Ultima games.
  • Original Sin revealed

quote:

Next on the list of reasons why Divinity – Original Sin seems to have surprised people is the turn-based combat system. That one comes from the desire of doing something like the first Fallouts. I always wanted to do a turn-based game with action points but my problem was that I couldn’t find a publisher who agreed with me.
    Active-pause was considered for some time (and we actually started out like this), but in my heart I really wanted to make one of those games that has epic tactical battles, where you really have to think how you’re going to defeat the enemy. And because I’m occasionally very impulsive, one morning I stormed into the office and told the team that we were going to ditch all the hack & slash stuff and go for turn-based.
  • Larian on Kickstarter – an improvised start

quote:

Everything suddenly went into overdrive. Now for clarity, Myrthos is not to blame – it’s bad communication on our side combined with the complexities of running a Kickstarter campaign from Belgium that caused this, but that’s a different story altogether. But still, it did leave us with a major problem.
    Because if he published, then the others were going to publish also, maybe, we didn’t know. And there are about hands-on 70 articles lined up to give the KS some momentum, but obviously, we’re not going to manage to get all those articles online right away, not if we don’t give any heads up…and when all the journalists are busy covering GDC/PAX follow ups…especially after we asked them to wait for so long and promised to give them a date up front (which we couldn’t because we only this morning(sic) received approval for KS (which was actually fast given that we submitted it last thursday or so) etc…
    So, what to do?
  • Release date Postponed to February 28 - why?

quote:

Divinity: Original Sin is one of those games for which I have a lot of “we should put everything we can in this one” sentiment in me. I’m a big believer in both its game and sales potential, and it doesn’t take a lot to convince me that we need to do everything we can to let it grow at its own pace. If it tells us that that it needs five more months, it’s going to get its five more months, even if those are months in entire social lives will come to a standstill again, and this for the third time this year. There are good reasons to think that it’ll be worth it and I really hope I’m not making another big mistake, again ;)
  • Educating Players

quote:

We decided on doing another preview tour this late in development (which really is the most inopportune of times) because it became clear that there are still a lot of journalists out there who think of Divinity:Original Sin as a Diablo clone or a Diablo clone with tactical combat. This despite all the videos, walkthroughs, early access content and previews being out there. Better make that, despite the truckload of videos, walkthroughs, early access content and previews out there.

It makes me despair some times and tbh a bit worried too.

The problem seems to be that the game has a top-down perspective and turn-based combat in its first 5 mins of gameplay. This apparently is sufficient to classify the game as just-another-generic-fantasy-rpg-clone not worth spending time on.
  • Here we go!

quote:

We’ve been working hard these last few weeks to integrate the last of the features we really wanted. Looking at the net result, I’m pretty proud of what my team has accomplished. We’ve amplified limited means into a lot of gameplay– a testament to the creativity of my team.
  • The power of crowd-funding

quote:

It’s now been one year since we successfully completed our Kickstarter campaign for Divinity:Original Sin , one of the most intense and rewarding periods in my game development career.

Now, as we’re approaching the moment where the game is going to be released, I think it’s safe to say that without any doubt, the two smartest things Larian Studios did this year were deciding to put the game on Kickstarter and subsequently deciding to put the game on Steam Early Access.
  • The why of our third secret project

quote:

Given how much we put in there, I suspect that what we call an Enhanced Edition goes a lot further than what others call an Enhanced Edition. Chances are of course that all those changes don’t make much economic sense but then again, maybe they will. We’ll find out soon enough and for what it’s worth, I’m quite happy about having been able to make all these changes so that we could craft what’s essentially a new and more complete experience.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Updated June 22, 2015

Frequently Asked Questions
1. General
2. Multiplayer / Party Control
3. Gameplay
4. Character Development and Attribute System
5. Skill and Talent System
6. Items and Crafting
7. Story
8. Technical / Editor Questions
9. Henchmen and Companions
10. HELP!
11. Other

1. General

What's in the Enhanced Edition?

• It will be free to all existing owners (only on the storefront you bought it from).
  • Full voice acting (88 thousand lines voiced)
  • DX11 required (so you'll have two versions)
  • PS4/Xbox One versions
  • Controller support for all platforms
  • Local coop with split screen
  • New ending/story (so it'll require a new game)
  • Extra polish all around
  • New play modes (Tactician, Honor, Explorer)
  • Revamped skill system and new skills
  • New Dual Wielding ability
  • New weapons such as Wands and Grenades
  • Full 360 degree camera rotation and revamped art and item placement to improve the look of the game from all angles.
  • UI improvements, such as a "Backstab cone" behind targets if you have the Backstab talent.
  • Massive rebalancing of basically everything
  • Quest items and keys go into a shared party inventory to make life easier.
  • 15 new rats added

New Game Modes

More properly speaking, these are in essence, actually new difficulty modes, essentially replacing the Easy/Normal/Hard which just changed some numbers.

• Explorer mode is the new Easy setting. It is for those who mostly just want to experience the story. Combat is easier, both in terms of enemy stats, but also their AI - it's dumber on Explorer mode.
  • Classic mode is Normal. It has the default enemy AI settings and the base Original sin enemy group composition.
  • Tactician mode is Hard. It is for those who are looking for more of a challenge in the game. Larian watched how players dealt with enemies, and adjusted the AI to counter those tactics. The enemy placement and composition is different, as well as some of the puzzles.
  • Honor mode is Very Hard. It is the same as Tactician, except that you get only one save, and if both your main characters die, the save gets deleted. So whatever you do, don't screw up.

When will this be released?
Larian predicts that the Enhanced Edition is coming in October or November.

The original version is out right now, on Steam, Larian Vault (has a Steam Key), and GoG.

What platforms are supported?
Windows and Mac now. The Enhanced Edition will also support Linux, PS4 and XBox One

Is there controller support?
Coming with the Enhanced Edition. It'll also support split-screen play (and that goes for the PC version too).

I’m a Kickstarter backer, Where do I get my stuff again?
Log into your Larian Vault account. (You did make one, right, using the same e-mail address as you used for Kickstarter or PayPal? Good.)

Click the D:OS Kickstarter link (marked by the little Kickstarter logo), and then follow the directions to claim your keys. The Kickstarter code in the red box is used ONLY when creating a new profile in-game. It is not the Steam key. The game Key is found further down the page under the Divinity: Original Sin Digital option, and you can choose whether to pick Steam or another option (but you can only pick once).

Wait, I gave away my second key because you said it would expire! I want that key back!
Response

Larian posted:

If you gave away a key, you'll soon be able to destroy it & get a new Steam key.

Will post-release saves break compatibility?
No your existing saves will remain intact, but there might be cases where some patch changes won’t be applied unless you start a new game.

Is Steam required for retail version?

"Octaaf” posted:

The DVD contains a steam installer, so yes, steam will have to be installed
to be able to download the game.
This is mentioned on our larianvault page, but apparantly not on the amazon
page.

The game does not contain any DRM though, Steam is just used as a download
and update platform.
Once the game has been downloaded, you can copy the game and uninstall steam
if you want.

To answer your specific questions:
1. Is Steam required to install Divinity:Original Sin from the
Collector's Edition?
>> yes it is required (install steam, activate game via steam with steam
key)
2. Is Steam required to update D:OS from the CE?
>> most likely a first day patch will have to be downloaded once installed,
yes
3. Is Steam required to play D:OS from the CE in multiplayer?
>> you can play d:os in multiplayer via connect to ip or via LAN on the drm
free version (without steam).
if you want to play with other users on steam (without connect to ip - so
via the steam lobby framework), you will have to login to steam.

We apologize for any confusion and thank you for (trying) to purchase our
game .

Kind regards,

Octaaf

I've got a question about Divinity: Dragon Commander...
That game has its own thread, just follow the logo.

Will this have DRM?
No. The box version will not have DRM. The GOG.com version and the version of larianvault.com will not have DRM. The Steam version will not have keys to fill in or forms to fill out, and the Steam version can be played without Steam running or even installed.

What is the status on Mac and Linux?
Mac is out now. Linux will be coming out for the Enhanced Edition version.

Will this be on consoles?
The Enhanced Edition will come out for PS4 and XBox One, with a re-written UI tailored for a console experience.

Why is this not available in [language here]?
We are localizing in English, French, German, Polish and Russian, because we have distributors there. If we had a distribution deal in Italy for instance, we would localize in Italian. But thanks to some truly dedicated fans, an Italian localization was added.

How long will it take me to play through Divinity: Original Sin?

Lar_q posted:

You know, before answering the other question, there's something I want to say here which I think is important . A game is not a feature list. I look at D:OS and I can't believe how much we put in there - it's 5X the game we originally planned and I'm very proud of what my team accomplished with the few resources we had.
(snip)
This was supposed to be a 40 hour game, it easily is a 60 to 100 hour game.

- Source

How big is the world?
The world currently consists of four big zones. There is a short loading screen in between zones, but you can play around in one zone for hours without ever seeing a loading screen, so one zone is actually pretty large. There are six other zones which are smaller.

OMG I hope I'll be able to save anywhere then!
Of course you can. It's a Divinity game.

Are there exclamation marks above NPC's heads if they have a quest for you?
No, there are not. You have to explore, talk to people, find items, read books, interpret and think to "find quests".

If you did see exclamation marks in the video or in screenshots, those are the ones currently indicating that the 2 main heroes (or Companions) want to talk to each other. The way we indicate this, will change. The party member will simply say "I want to talk to you", inviting you to start a dialogue with them. (Inviting. Not forcing.)

Does this have full voice over? Will it get full voice-over?
The Enhanced Edition will have full voice-overs, but in the original game, only automated dialogues (things which pop up over characters heads automatically) will be voiced.

What happens if one of your party members dies?
If both Source Hunters die, it's game over. If one hero dies in battle, and the other hero survives, the dead one can be revived using a resurrection scroll (or spell, if you’re a high enough level to learn it). Companions can die and be brought back through Resurrection as well.

If a summon dies, you have to summon him again.

2. Multiplayer / Party Control

Can I play co-op over LAN?
Yes, you can.

Can I play split-screen co-op?
Yes, in the Enhanced Edition. This is for all platforms as well, not just consoles.

If my friend has the Steam version, and I have the GOG version, can we still play together?
Yes, but obviously not over Steamworks. The game has a direct connection option, which will let you connect over IP or using a Server ID provided for your current game.

I'm going to play this in single player. Do I still have to walk around with both characters?
Yes. And you'll probably be walking around with 4 characters, not just two :)
Think of this as a party based game. It is not an action RPG. You can solo if you want to (just drag the portraits apart to break the chain, which makes other party members stop following, but combat will be hard as nails if you try to take enemies on single-handedly. You will need a well-balanced party.

You can also take the “Lone Wolf” Talent (ideally on Character creation, because you do NOT get a retroactive bonus to your ability points), which increases your hit points by +70%, increases your maximum and turn Action Points by 2, and gives you one bonus Ability Point when you level up, but means you can’t recruit an additional party member (maximum party size is reduced to three). If both Source Hunters take Lone Wolf, then they can’t recruit any party members at all.

I'm going to play this in single player. Isn't the co-op design going to be in my way?
No. You won't even notice it. It doesn't limit or change the game.

I'm going to play this in single player. Isn't the co-op dialogue system going to be a bit weird? It's like talking to myself!
What's wrong with talking to yourself?! You can roleplay both characters!

You can also choose dialogue AI personalities. Or to be more precise, you will be able to choose those eventually (TBD). On release, the only AI personalities are Random, which picks a random response each time a decision has to be made, and Loyal, which always agrees with whatever you pick. More will be added later, but how many and when are unknown.

How many players does the game support?
The base game supports 2 players, for story purposes, but that’s not a hard-coded limit. Mods can allow up to 8 players in theory. Some mods are out that allow 4-players.

Do I control everyone in combat? Can I let AI take over in combat?
You control everyone in combat. Well, not the enemies, obviously, but turn by turn, you have to tell your party members what to do. That includes both heroes, your henchmen and your summons. You cannot let AI control your party members in combat. In multiplayer, each player controls his hero, his personal henchman, and his summoned creature. (Each hero can hire one henchman, and can summon one creature.)

How do I control my party outside of combat?
Outside of combat, everything is realtime. You select the party leader with shortcut keys or by clicking his portrait. When you walk around with the leader, the other party members follow him.The follow status is indicated by a chain connecting portraits. Chained characters follow the leader. However, you can get party members to stop following, by dragging the portraits away from each other. When a character enters Sneak mode, non-sneaking characters automatically stop following them.

There are formations to allow for better control in real-time, and they determine the party’s starting orientation when combat starts.

How do I control my party outside of combat when I'm in multiplayer?
Each hero can have one henchman/Companion and one summon. In multiplayer, your personal henchman and summon follow you around. Your henchman and summon can not be controlled (or dismissed) by the other player character.

But loot is shared?
No it is not. It drops on the ground. First come, first serve.

How do you load a game in co-op?
The host has the only control over loading and saving. The host loads the game, then the co-op player joins the host's game, simple as that. Make sure the host is controlling the character he was before the partner joins unless you want to switch roles.

How do I prevent a co-op player from joining my game and screwing me over?
The recommended way is to only play co-op with those you trust. But the best way is to save your game in a new slot as soon as the other person joins (or ideally before if you have some warning), and if they screw you up, you can reload.

3. Gameplay

Do monsters level up or become stronger the bigger your party is?
No. Monsters do not scale to your level. If you are level 1 and you see a level 10 monster: run. If you are trying to take on 10 monsters all by yourself while the rest of your party is somewhere else: good luck. Combat is balanced against a party.

Each party member gets an equal share of experience, regardless of if there are two members in the party or four. Benched Henchmen and Companions also get XP so they'll keep up in case you want to swap them in again later.

Do the henchmen join this co-op dialogue system?
No, it is always a dialogue between the two heroes. However, Companions can comment on events, which will often prompt a dual-dialogue with your party members. (Modders can use this system for entire party discussions.)

Is there friendly fire in combat?
Yes, of course. Even out of combat. We want you to wince and flinch when your partner shouts "FIREBALL"! It only applies to magic damage, though, not normal arrow and melee attacks, even if they are AoE’s.

Is there a day/night cycle?
No. Larian didn’t want to put it in if it was only cosmetic and had no gameplay effect, so it is not in.

Do NPCs have schedules?
No, unfortunately it proved too difficult to implement and debug, and would have consumed a hugely disproportionate amount of resources, so it had to be scrapped.

How does combat work?
Combat is turn-based. The order is determined by Initiative, which is calculated using Speed, Perception, and straight-up bonuses. Everything you do - move, attack, use skills/spells, eat consumables, switch equipment – consumes Action Points. When you run out of action points, your turn ends. You can also save any remaining AP you have for your next turn. If you have not taken any actions that turn, you also have the option to delay your turn until the end of the round – you move last.

How do saving throws work?
Any status effects that start on someone’s turn last until at least that person’s turn comes around again (unless removed between then) before there’s a chance to save.

In other words, If Bob inflicts a Stunned on Skeleton H, then unless someone removes the Stunned status, Skeleton H will remain stunned until Bob's turn comes up, at which point Skeleton H will get a saving throw versus Stunned.

How does the Action Point system work?
You have a maximum possible number of Action Points (AP), which is based on your Constitution. Each point of CON increases your maximum AP by 1. On the first turn of combat, you start with an amount of AP based on both your Speed and Perception stats (I think it's something like half of your Speed + Perception, rounded up). Each turn after the first you start with an amount of AP based on your Speed.

Any AP you don't use in one round can be preserved for a later round, up to your Maximum AP.

What are the Status Effects?
Okay, here’s a list. It may not be exactly everything, and some of the numbers might be off, so if so, let me know, but here it is:

• Neutral
  • Chilled: Movement -44, Fire Resistance +10, Water Resistance -20
  • Warm: Fire Resistance -20, Water Resistance +10
  • Wet: Air Resistance -20, Fire Resistance +10, Water spells have greater effect.

• Buffs
  • Blessed: +30% Chance to hit
  • Damage Boosted: Increased damage.
  • Fortified: +70% Armour
  • Hasted: Movement +64, Maximum AP +4, Start AP+4, Turn AP +3
  • Healing: Target is recovering health.
  • Immune to X: Immune to a particular status effect.
  • Invisible: Invisible for X turns. Attacking or being damaged ends the effect
  • Lucky: Lucky Charm +2
  • Raged: Increased damage, lowered defense.
  • Shielded: Protected by an elemental shield that grants a status immunity, an elemental resistance to one element, and a penalty to another elemental resistance.
  • Stat Boosted An attribute is temporarily boosted.

• Debuffs
  • Bleeding: Take [varies] Damage over time
  • Blind: Unable to target enemies
  • Burning: Take [varies] Damage over time
  • Charmed: Target switches sides.
  • Crippled: -84 Movement, -4 Turn AP
  • Cursed: -30% Chance to hit.
  • Diseased: Constitution -3, Bodybuilding -2
  • Drunk: Intelligence -3, Lucky Charm +2, Initiative -5
  • Fear: Character runs randomly, unable to act.
  • Frozen: Unable to Act, Armour +100%
  • Infectious Disease: Like disease, but spreads to nearby targets.
  • Knocked Down: Unable to Act, 100% chance to be hit.
  • Muted: Unable to use skills.
  • Petrified: Unable to Act
  • Rot: A persistent status effect that has you lose 1 HP every 6 seconds.
  • Stat Penalized: An attribute is temporarily penalized.
  • Slowed: Movement -64, Maximum AP -4, Start AP-4, Turn AP -2
  • Soulsap: All Stats and all abilities are temporarily penalized by 2.
  • Stunned: Unable to Act.
  • Weak: Strength -3, -50% Damage.

Can I change the camera to rotate freely?
The camera was fixed at an angle to make it easier for the level designers to work, they only have to make the game look good and polished from a certain angle, instead of 360 degrees, which saved time and money. Also, some objects only have one plane and may look odd or transparent from different angles.

You can change this in the Options > Game menu by selecting to unlock the rotation. The Enhanced Edition should have full rotation enabled by default.

4. Character Development and Attribute System

What constitutes a character?

• Attributes define your character's basic physical characteristics. How strong and smart they are, how fast and healthy. You start with 5 to spend on character creation, and gain 1 Attribute Point every even-numbered level.

• Abilities are passive, the general areas your character has trained in, like weapon styles, or lockpicking, or particular areas of magic. You start with 5 to spend on character creation, and gain 1 Ability Point per level for levels 2-5, 2 AB points per level for levels 6-10, then 3 AB points per level for levels 11+.

• Talents are specific special feats that give a unique bonus you can't get from elsewhere. You start with 2 to spend on character creation, and you gain one Talent point every third(?) level starting at level 3.

• Traits are emergent from how you actually play the game. They react to your dialogue choices at selected points. That is the only way to get Traits.

• Skills are activated powers you use in the world or the battlefield. Skills have to be purchased from merchants or found in the world.

What about character creation?
Aesthetically speaking, you can choose your name, gender, portrait, face, hairstyle, hair colour, underwear style, voice, and AI (Dialogue) Personality.

Gameplay wise, you start out with 5 in all Primary Attributes, and have 5 more to allocate as you choose. You also start with 5 Ability points and 2 Talent points. You can pick a starting preset class (11 are currently on offer). You can choose starting skills as well. The preset classes are just guidelines and you can alter any of their stats as you please.

What are the preset classes?

Battlemage – Amplifies brute force with powerful magic. (Melee fighter who also uses offensive magic.) Favored Stats: INT, STR, (CON)
Cleric – Heals allies or smashes skulls, depending on the direction of the winds. (Melee fighter with healing and defensive magic.) Favored Stats: STR, INT, (CON)
Enchanter – Prefers to turn the tide of battle from afar, manipulating foes with powerful magic. (Control mage - Crowd control spells.) Favored Stats: INT, (SPD)
Fighter – Brutal Warrior and expert in close combat. (Straight-up fighter.) Favored Stats: CON, STR
Knight – Specialized in war tactics, knights are trained not only to fight, but to rally troops. (Fighter with some mild healing/status removal and buffs.) Favored Stats: STR, CON
Ranger – A marksman with a legendary knack for self-preservation Favored Stats: DEX, PER, (SPD)
Rogue – With a lot of skill and a little luck, this rogue sees the world as an open coffer. (A sneaky, evasive backstabber) Favored Stats: DEX, SPD, (PER [for trap/secret finding])
Shadowblade – A powerful assassin whose arsenal of both daggers and magic would terrify any enemy, if they ever saw it coming. (Rogue/assassin who knows magic.) Favored Stats: DEX, INT, (SPD)
Wayfarer – A survivalist and a practitioner of magic, the Wayfarer is hard to hit and even harder to evade. (A ranger/mage hybrid) Favored Stats: INT, DEX, (PER)
Witch – (An intimidating presence whose bone-chilling powers terrify friend and foe alike. A buffer/debuffer. Focuses on darker magic, curses, necromancy.) Favored Stats: INT, (SPD)
Wizard – A scholar of magic specialized in starting and ending battles with a flick of the wrist, exacting swift victory from a safe distance. (Focuses on general elemental magic.) Favored Stats: INT

What are the Primary Attributes and what do they do?
Divinity: Original Sin uses the P.I.S.S.E.D. system: Perception, Intelligence, Strength, Speed, Endurance (Constitution), and Dexterity. :v:

Okay, okay...

• Strength (STR) – Increases chance to hit for (most) melee weapons, carrying capacity, throwing distance, what you can pick up. Higher quality weapons and equipment require more points into this attribute.
  • Dexterity (DEX) – Increases chance to hit for for ranged weapons, and daggers, increases chance to evade attacks. Higher quality weapons and equipment require more points into this attribute.
  • Intelligence (INT) – Boosts the effectiveness of magic Spells and reduces the Cooldown of magic Spells.
  • Constitution (CON) – Influences the amount of hit points you have, and your resistance to poison. It also increases your maximum AP.
  • Speed (SPD) – Influences how far you can walk (in combat) with one action point, and your defense against attacks. It plus Perception increase how much AP you get on the first turn of combat, and also increases how much AP you get on subsequent turns of combat.
  • Perception (PER) – Grants a bonus to sight and hearing, helps you figure out which the best dialogue options are when trying to persuade someone, and lets you spot traps and hidden things. It also, in combination with Speed, helps determine how much AP you get on the first turn of combat.

You get one Primary Attribute point every even-numbered level. Additional points will be available from other sources in the game.

What are the Abilities?
There are six main categories of Abilities: Weapons, Defense, Skills, Personality, Craftsmanship, and Nasty Deeds.

Weapons holds abilities to boost the damage of different weapon types (one-handed [including daggers], two-handed [including staves], bow, and crossbow)

Defense contains abilities to boost the effectiveness of armour, shields [blocking], and saving throws versus both physical and magical effects.

Skills holds the nine categories of active Skills, and at least one point is required to learn any skills of that type.
  • Man-At-Arms are Warrior skills, mostly focusing on different types of melee damage. Boosted by Strength.
  • Expert Marksman are Ranger skills, for attacking with bow and crossbow, and for certain other special effects. Boosted by Dexterity.
  • Scoundrel are Rogue skills, for attacking with daggers and certain other sneaky tricks. Boosted by Dexterity.

• The remaining five are the schools of magic, all boosted by Intelligence.
  • Aerothurge are Air elemental spells. These let you learn additional Air spells, and reduces the AP penalty for higher-level spells.
  • Geomancer are Earth elemental spells. These let you learn additional Earth spells, and reduces the AP penalty for higher-level spells.
  • Hydrosophist are Water elemental spells. These let you learn additional Water spells, and reduces the AP penalty for higher-level spells.
  • Pyrokinetic are Fire elemental spells. These let you learn additional Fire spells, and reduces the AP penalty for higher-level spells.
  • Witchcraft are darker magic spells. These let you learn additional Witchcraft spells, and reduces the AP penalty for higher-level spells.

• Special skills are not tied to any particular school. All characters start out with Staff of Magus, which allows you to use an equipped staff as a ranged weapon.

Personality contains abilities for dealing with people.

Craftsmanship contains abilities for managing equipment.

Nasty Deeds contains the sneaking, lockpicking and pickpocketing abilities.

How does the ability point system work?
For levels 2-5, you get 1 Ability Point per level. From levels 6-10, you gain 2 Ability points a level. From levels 11+ you gain 3 Ability points a level.

To invest in a new Ability rank, it’ll cost [Rank number] of Ability points: it takes 1 Ability point to reach Ability Rank 1, 2 Ability points to reach Ability Rank 2, 5 Ability points to reach Ability Rank 5, etc. You can only put a maximum of 15 points into an Ability, but bonuses can increase the Ability rank beyond five (although sometimes that may not have any effect).

Can I re-spec my character?
The Source Hunters can be respecced, but it's done through an NPC, it takes a while to unlock that NPC. It is cheap at 1000 gold, but you will also forget ALL your learned skills, which is a tremendous pain. It's also not possible to respec Henchmen or Companions.

Does [Ability X] work for my whole party or just me?
Individual Talents are applied on an individual basis, so you want the highest-luck person to be opening stuff, although it doesn't matter much.

The exception is Leadership, which by definition grants bonuses to other party members, but NOT the one who actually has that ability.

5. Skills and Talents

How many skill trees are there?
There are Nine schools: Magic (Aerothurge, Geomancer, Hydrosophist, Pyrokinetic, Witchcraft), then there are the Warrior, Ranger, and Rogue (Man-At-Arms, Expert Marksman, and Scoundrel respectively), plus one "Special" school which is for non-categorized skills, such as those you acquire through the course of the story.

• Geomancer (Magic, INT-based) - Nature magic, buffs, summons, and poison damage
  • Pyrokinetic (Magic, INT-based) - Fire damage (damage over time), with some buffs
  • Hydrosophist (Magic, INT-based) - Ice damage, with healing, buffs and slow + freeze debuffs
  • Aerothurge (Magic, INT-based) - Air damage, with some buffs and stun+blind debuffs
  • Witchcraft (Magic, INT-based) - Physical Status debuffs, with undead summons.
  • Man-At-Arms (STR-based) - Powerful physical attacks with physical status debuffs and some AoE "Shouts".
  • Expert Marksman (DEX-based) - Ranged skills, with mental status debuffs, and evasive/stealth skills
  • Scoundrel (DEX-based) - Rogue skills, with damage-over time attacks, touch-range physical status debuffs, and evasive/stealth skills
  • Special (N/A) - Non-categorized skills

Spending Ability Points in the Magic schools reduces the Action Point cost of that school's spells.

How do you learn skills?
You start out with three skills (magic users start out with one more, which lets you use your staff as a ranged attack). Some other skills are learned through the course of the game, and enemy mages have a chance to drop spellbooks, but generally you have to buy them from vendors.

To learn a skill, you need to have at least 1 point in the associated Ability.

Where can I buy new skill books?

I keep forgetting the names of the vendors, so the names may be wrong for some. I will remember to fix that one day.

In Cyseal, the spell vendors are:

• Man-At-Arms (Warrior) - Aureus, Legion HQ
  • Expert Marksman (Ranger) - Fletcher, Cyseal Marketplace
  • Scoundrel (Rogue) - Shareth, King Crag Inn upstairs, second door
  • Witchcraft - Shareth, King Crag Inn upstairs, second door
  • Geomancer (Earth) - Arhu, Legion HQ upstairs
  • Pyrokinetic (Fire) - Arhu, Legion HQ upstairs
  • Hydrosophist(Water) - Cyreth, Cyseal Marketplace
  • Aerothurge(Air) - Cyreth, Cyseal Marketplace

In Silverglen, the spell vendors are in the tavern or the attached stables.

The selection from vendors is random, and it is regenerated when you level up, so if you don't see what you're looking for, try again when you level up. Some spellbooks are not available through vendors.

In the Shelter Plane, the elementals on the four elemental planes you can unlock sell two types of skillbook each:
Aerothurge/Scoundrel, Geomancer/Witchcraft, Hydrosophist/Expert Marksman, Pyrokinetic/Man-At-Arms.

What are the Talents?

• All Skilled Up – Get 2 extra ability points. Required: Level 3.
  • Anaconda – Increase your damage with crushing weapons by 10%. Required: Single-Handed 1
  • Arrow Recovery - 20% chance to recover any special arrows you fire.
  • Back-Stabber - Allows a character to backstab with daggers and knives. Required: Scoundrel 1
  • Bigger and Better – Get 1 primary attribute point. Required: Level 5
  • Bully - 50% extra damage against enemies who are slowed, crippled, or knocked down.
  • Comeback Kid - If you have more than 1 HP, you will automatically revive to 1 HP from a blow that would kill you. Required: Willpower 5
  • Courageous - Immunity to Fear status effect, but you can no longer flee combat. (Warning: Taking this can be dangerous.) Required: Can't have "Escapist" Talent
  • Demon - A chance to Burn enemies on contact if they hit you, but you take a 25% penalty to water resistance. Required: Pyrokinetic 5
  • Elemental Affinity – Standing in surfaces decreases the AP cost for that kind of spell by 1. (Eg: When standing in fire and casting a fire spell, it costs 1 less AP).
  • Elemental Ranger – When an enemy is standing on a surface, a normal arrow attack has a chance to inflict the appropriate elemental status or elemental damage on the enemy. Required: Expert Marksman 5
  • Escapist - You can escape from combat even if enemies are right next to you. Required: Can't have "Courageous" Talent.
  • Far Out Man - Increases range of all spells and scrolls by 2 m. Works for INT-based Spells only.
  • Five-Star Diner - Doubles the effects of food.
  • Glass Cannon - Doubles your Turn AP, but your HP is cut by 50%. Required: Level 5
  • Guerrilla – Doubles your Attack Damage while sneaking. Required: Sneak 1
  • Headstrong - Gives you a 20% extra chance to save versus Frozen, Stunned, Petrified, and Knocked Down. Required: Scoundrel 5
  • Ice King – Chance to chill enemies who strike you in melee range, but you suffer a penalty to fire resistance. Required: Hydrosophist 5
  • Know-It-All - You gain +1 Int, but people like you less.
  • Leech – standing in blood surface sucks them up to heal you.
  • Light Stepper – Lets you detect traps more easily.
  • Lightning Rod - Makes you immune to stun. Required: Aerothurge 5
  • Lone Wolf - Your character gets 80% more base Vitality, +2 Maximum and Turn AP, +1 Ability point on level-up, but isn't allowed to recruit companions. This only applies for your character, not the other guy. Any extra companions you have will have to go to the Hall of Heroes (or whereever), leaving you with a max of 3 party members. NOTE: Only take this at character creation, because if you get it later, the ability point bonus is NOT retroactive.
  • Morning Person – You resurrect to full health. Required: Bodybuilding 1
  • My Precious – Decreased degradation rate of equipment.
  • Opportunist – Allows you to perform Attacks of Opportunity. Required: Man-at-Arms 1
  • Packmule – Increases carrying capacity by 100.
  • Pet Pal - Lets you talk to animals.
  • Picture of Health - Gives you (5% * Man-at-Arms) extra vitality. Required: Man-at-Arms 2
  • Politician – You get a bonus point to Charm and Intimidate, but lose two points in Reason.
  • Quickdraw - Decreases the AP required for ranged weapons by 1. Required: Expert Marksman 5
  • Scientist - A point each in Blacksmithing and Crafting.
  • Sidestep - Gives you a 10% extra chance to evade hits. Required: Expert Marksman 2
  • Sidewinder - Removes your defense penalty when flanked. Required: Man-At-Arms 5
  • Speedcreeper – Move at full speed while sneaking. Required: Sneaking 1
  • Stand Your Ground - Makes you immune to knockdown. Required: Bodybuilding 5
  • Stench – Decreases everyone’s attitude by 25, but melee opponents will avoid you.
  • Swiftfooted - Increases your Movement by 20%. Required: Scoundrel 2
  • Thick Skin - Gives you (5% * Man-at-Arms) extra armor. Required: Man-at-Arms 1
  • Voluble Mage – Grants you Immunity to Muted (Silence). Required: Willpower 5
  • Walk It Off - All status effects, both positive and negative have their duration decreased by 1 turn.
  • Weather the Storm - Gives you (5% * Man-at-Arms) elemental resistance. Required: Man-at-Arms 5
  • Weatherproof - Makes you immune to Environmental effects (those which are inflicted on you from just being in an area, not statuses inflicted by an enemy). Required: Geomancer 5
  • What A Rush – increases your Recovery and Maximum AP when your health is below 30%.
  • Zombie – When standing in poison, it heals you instead of damaging you, regular healing potions and spells will damage you.
  • More talents (the ones removed from the alpha) are behind the scenes in the modding tool which doesn't matter because you can't touch Talents with mods.

6. Items and Crafting

How will crafting work?
You simply drag one item unto another. (In your inventory or in the world.) You can experiment with combinations, but there will be tips and books lying around to push you in the right direction. There's a Crafting skill, which lets you make higher level items, and in some cases, improves the quality of the items you can create.

Will I be able to sheathe my weapons?
Yes. Just like in Divine Divinity, you are be able to toggle between "peace" and "combat" mode, and items and NPCs will react accordingly.

For instance, if you click on a friendly NPC with your sword drawn, he will ask you to put your weapon away before addressing him. You can then either apologize, or call him out.

Can I equip special items?
Yes, although they’re mostly gag items and not idea. You can wear a bucket on your head as a helmet, smash a cooking pot with a hammer to make a helmet, swat enemies with broom and fishing rod, break a guitar over someone’s head… but it’s generally not so effective, except for the shovel, which you can dig with anywhere, and find treasure at specific spots.

How does Identifying an Item work?
First, you need the appropriate level in Loremaster (the item will tell you how much you need), and then you need an Identifying Glass.

An item's properties are determined upon generation, so if you pick up an unidentified item and save, it will be the same no matter how many times you reload before identifying it.

How are items in containers generated?
They're generated upon interaction with the container. Wave your cursor on the container as much as you like, but it's only when you click on it - whether locked or unlocked - that the contents are set.

How does my Luck factor in?
Lucky Charm gives you an extra treasure table to roll from, based on the 5 different luck states. Skills like Survivor's Karma (Lucky Charm + 2) do count towards that. Don't count on getting a lot of great stuff through Lucky Charm though - even maxed it's rarely triggered and mostly produces an extra minor item.

Are stat-boosting potions temporary or permanent?
Temporary, they're used to give your stat a boost for a short time to make you more effective in combat. There MAY be permanent potions later, but if they exist - which I can't verify - those would probably only be special quest items you can get only once. EDIT: There are stat-boosting BOOKS, which ARE permanent.

This Blood Stone looks like an item that's too good to use. Should I use it?
Blood Stones are not common, but they are useful. They are a full party complete restoration - it revives the dead, clears any status ailments, and restores the party to full health. Think of them like an break in case of emergency button. They also should be used because when used, they become Star Stones, unlocking new rooms in your homestead. I strongly suggest that the first possible one to find in the Black Cover after you defeat Pontias Pirate be used before you level up, even if you don't need any healing.

7. Story

I've heard you can kill everyone and still beat the game? Doesn't that mean that the main story is really shallow?
Allow me to contradict you there!

Yes, you can become a homicidal maniac, kill everyone, save the world nonetheless and being the only one left to attend the after party, but that doesn't mean there isn't a deep main story at all! I assure you there is, but it's up to you to participate in it.

If you talk to everyone; read everything; explore every corner, a rich and deep story will unfold. If you're more nonchalant in your approach, you may miss some of the details. If you cut the throat of every character you meet, well, information may be sketchy indeed.

It just depends on how you play the game. That's the total freedom you'll have.

8. Editor / Technical

Can we use the Original Sin editor to mod Dragon Commander?
No. The engine is the same, but the tools that are used to build DC are totally different.

What engine is this using?
It’s using an engine created in-house.
For me there are 2 reasons for not using some 3rd party engine:
- no source code
- what if company that made it goes bankrupt or stops supporting it all of a sudden

If we would be interested in a 3rd party engine, it probably wouldn't be Unity for a game like this anyway.

Will the editor run on Mac/Linux?
No. Unfortunately the editor uses a lot of Windows-only technology (they mentioned that a lot of the code was written in C#). No word on whether an emulator will work it, but they recommend 8 GB of RAM for the editor.

9. Henchmen and Companions

What is the difference between Henchmen and Companions?
Henchmen are hirelings, basically. They come with a lot of different builds because there are so many of them. However, they are rather flat as characters. They have only a short backstory, they don't have reactions to what you do, they don't have their own quests, they don't have dialogues with the Source Hunters.

Companions are more like full-fledged party members. They have a much more in-depth backstory. They do react to what you do and they won't hesitate to tell you what they think. They have their own quest and dialogues with the Source Hunters. However, there are fewer of them than Henchmen and they only come in a couple of builds.

Where can I hire Henchmen?
You can only hire them from the Hall of Heroes, which is a place on the Homestead/Shelter Plane/The end of Time. You need to find two Star Stones total to unlock it, which can be done before leaving Cyseal.

If I dismiss a Henchman, do I have to pay to get them back?
No, all dismissed henchmen and companions will stay at the Hall of Heroes (unless that isn't unlocked yet), and wait for you to pick them up again. They keep all their gear, stats and such.

Can I customize the henchmen?
Henchmen/Companions start out as a certain "build" and with equipment, but once you hire them, you can totally change their equipment, and manage their inventories. And if they level, you choose their statpoint distribution and their skill upgrades.

Lower-level Henchmen and Companions will automatically level up to match your level when you hire them. (If the Henchmen do not, dismiss them and then call them back to your party and they should level.)

You can't change the appearance of Companions (and probably not Henchmen either).

Do the henchmen have personalities?
There are two kinds of additional party members: Henchmen and Companions. Henchmen are hirelings. They have simple personalities and dialogue, there are a lot of them, their main motivation is gold, and they have no associated quests. Companions are closer to full-fledged additional party members. They will have more complicated dialogue that reacts to your actions, there are only a few of them, they have different motivations, and their own quests. (More details here.)

Who are the Companions?

There were two available on release, and two more were added in mid-September. I'll just list basic information and leave the rest for a separate post to be added later.

Madora

Profession: Source Hunter (Retired)
Starting level/Class: Level 3 Fighter
Found At: Cyseal, King Crab Tavern

It's clear from her first encounter why the Source Hunters sent Madora off to retire in a sleepy little village, but she never lost her zeal for hunting the Source and dark magic in all its forms.

Madora is a straight-up fighter, and specializes in Two-handed weapons.

Starting Skills
Rush – (AP: 5 Cooldown: 4)
Crushing Fist – (AP: 4 Cooldown: 4 )
Dust Devil – (AP: 6 Cooldown: 4 )
Melee Power Stance – (AP: 0 Cooldown: 0)
Helping Hand – (AP: 4 Cooldown: 3)
Staff of Magus – (AP: 4 Cooldown: 0)

Jahan

Profession: Demon Hunter
Starting level/Class: Level 3 Enchanter (Wizard)
Found At: Cyseal, Mayor’s House Upstairs Library

This well-traveled mage calls himself a Demon Hunter. He speaks rarely, but when he does it is with unwavering conviction.

Jahan is a wizard, and his closest preset class is that of the Enchanter, the "control" mage whose role is to regulate the flow of battle. He starts out with a small healing spell, which is nonetheless invaluable.

Starting Skills
Blitzbolt – (AP: 6 Cooldown: 2)
Headvice – (AP: 7 Cooldown: 2)
Rain – (AP: 5 Cooldown: 6)
Bitter Cold – (AP: 4 Cooldown: 3)
Teleportation – (AP: 9 Cooldown: 5)
Minor Heal – (AP: 7 Cooldown: 3)

Bairdotr

Profession: Hunter / None
Starting level/Class: Level 3 Ranger
Found At: Cyseal, cage outside Legion Headquarters

Bairdotr may be a bit on the feral side, but don't mistake that for ignorance.

Bairdotr is a ranger. She starts with the Arrow Recovery, Bully and Stench talents. Stench discourages enemies from engaging her in melee, and the Tactical Retreat ability, in case. She can also cure poisoning on party members, which will be useful in Cyseal.

Starting Skills
Ricochet – (AP: 6 Cooldown: 5)
Tactical Retreat – (AP: 4 Cooldown: 9 )
Treat Poisoning – (AP: 5 Cooldown: 1 )
Ranged Power Stance – (AP: 0 Cooldown: 0)

Wolgraff

Profession: Burglar
Starting level/Class: Level 3 Rogue
Found At: Graveyard Tunnel, Near the well exit in West Cyseal

Wolgraff is a thief, but he has a good heart and a thirst for justice.

Wolgraff is a rogue, and comes with a handy mix of skills to help him move around the battlefield. His starting Strength is 4 - lower than normal, but he has a good mix of Dexterity, Perception, and Speed. He starts with the Backstabber, Escapist, and Light-Stepper Talents.

Starting Skills
Razor's Edge – (AP: 4 Cooldown: 12)
Cloak and Dagger – (AP: 6 Cooldown: 10 )
Walk in Shadows – (AP: 3 Cooldown: 10 )
Fast Track – (AP: 4 Cooldown: 18)

10. Help!

Tip 1: SAVE OFTEN.
Tip 2: Use Status effects to your advantage to disable problematic enemies (usually archers and mages).
Tip 3: Save often.
Tip 4: Enemies are much more difficult to fight when they are a level or two higher than you. Try killing enemies the same leel or lower first. If none are around, look for quests you can complete.
Tip 5: Combat is much harder if you have less than a full party of four. If you have Lone Wolf, that can offset that for the most part, but that won’t help as much if you are disabled by status effects for a short while.
Tip 6: Save often.

I get owned every time I try to leave town!
Get a couple Companions (or Henchmen), do some (read: a lot) of the in-town quests, and leave through the West gate - it's between the abandoned Blacksmith's house and the Morticians, and it is open. (IMPORTANT: not the West HARBOUR Gate on the beach, you want to take the one up high). There's also a hidden tunnel in the graveyard which has level 2 enemies.

You want to be about level 3 before leaving the west gate (you can do the tunnel at level 2 if you're careful) and exploring West Cyseal, about level 5 before exploring north of the city, about level 6-7 before going east or to the West Beach (out the west harbour gate).

How do I leave the Homestead?
Click the button on the right-hand side of the HUD.

11. Other

What the hell is this weresheep thing?
Something started growing here in our Kickstarter comments section, which has started to lead a life of its own. After watching one of our videos, some people were wondering if the sheep would actually fight back, and one thing lead to another... So apparently, without us even realizing it, there are Weresheep in Divinity: Original Sin. We had no other choice now but to actually introduce them.

The Weresheep Guild now has its own website where they are gathering as much data as they can about Divinity: Original Sin. Bookmark it :)
There’s also a Steam Group: Weresheep of Original Sin.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 23, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Reserved in case I need it later.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I've been holding out on this bad boy for a long time, time to finally dive in!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Anyone else's kickstarter code not working? I'm kinda hesitant to start due to the warning box saying you can't enter it later :ohdear:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Stabbey, what is the canon order now. Is it Original Sin > Dragon Commander > DD, or Dragon Commander > Original Sin > DD.

Infected Mushroom
Nov 4, 2009

DrManiac posted:

Anyone else's kickstarter code not working? I'm kinda hesitant to start due to the warning box saying you can't enter it later :ohdear:

Yeah, apparently they didn't bother to finish the backer database before launch. So I guess you just have to keep trying until it works :shrug:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

DrManiac posted:

It's currently bugged according to the Kickstarter comment sessions. It's a profile, though, so you can just make a new profile.

Kickstarter Update #63 - Merry D:OS-mas to all and to all a good launch!

quote:

Important note: The Kickstarter backer ID database on Steam is currently missing a number of entries and is being updated. In a couple of hours it should recognise the backer ID of everybody. Small team working through a large task list with lots of pressure in an online environment with an internet connection that decided today was a good day to go on strike - bare with us, it'll all be done soon enough ;)

Today is an extremely exciting day here at Larian. After years of developing a game we truly love, we get to release the full version of Divinity: Original Sin to both our amazing backers and to the rest of the gaming world.

It is at once thrilling and nerve-wracking; this vast world will now, for the first time, be explored in its entirety by the public. We can only hope you all have as much fun growing your Source Hunters and solving Rivellon's mysteries as we had developing them.

Without your support via Kickstarter and Early Access, this game would never have reached the level of polish and complexity present in its current form. Your contributions added a world of colour, secrets, enhancements, and depth to the game that has made this what we consider our best game to date.

Below, Swen explains just how grateful we are for your support:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKQObTZJEM4

Some changes regarding redeeming your key

In the past, we've said that launch will nullify your current Steam Early Access key and provide you with a new one for the full release of the game. This process has been amended and also applies to add-on versions of the game (i.e. for those of you who added a digital copy of the game to your original purchase).

IF YOU WANT TO PLAY D:OS ON STEAM, your Early Access code will remain active and you will be able to download the full version of the game using your current Early Access code.

IF YOU WANT TO PLAY D:OS ON GOG, log into your Larian Vault account and scroll down to "Your Rewards in Detail." Find the digital distribution icon and select "Change my digital distribution preference." Following these steps will cancel your Steam Early Access code and provide you with a key for GOG.

Redeeming your in-game rewards

To redeem your Kickstarter rewards in-game (e.g. personal dialog), go to your Larian Vault account and copy your Kickstarter reward code onto your clipboard. Then, fire up the game.

Click "Create a New Profile" and name your profile.

When the box for the Kickstarter backer code appears, click the little green button to the right of the entry field to paste your reward code from your clipboard.

[Stabbey Note: Currently this is not working for many (all?) people. They'll fix it, I'm sure.]

Physical Rewards: What to expect

All of your regular physical and Collector's Editions have either already shipped or are shipping today, so keep an eye on your mailbox.

The Art Books and T-shirts have not shipped yet, but it won't be much longer before those follow.

Keep in mind that even if you've ordered physical copies of the game, you're still entitled to your digital code as of launch. Steam users, your existing Early Access code will work to download the full game; GOG users, follow the instructions listed above in the "Some changes regarding redeeming your key" section.

A very Twitchy evening!

We'll be streaming on Twitch twice tonight, first at 18:00 Brussels time with Eurogamer (9 a.m. Los Angeles, 12 p.m. New York, 20:00 Moscow) on Larian's channel: http://www.twitch.tv/larianstudios

Then again at 20:00 with Swiftor on his channel: http://www.twitch.tv/swiftor

It should be interesting to find out what this COD aficionado thinks of our sandbox RPG!

Exploring the Galaxy: Larian and GOG team up

We’ve been secretly working on supporting GOG Galaxy, the new online multiplayer platform from GOG.com and are happy to announce that full GOG Galaxy integration will be available for Divinity: Original Sin.

GOG is still working on launching Galaxy, so before that happens, our Kickstarter backers who have selected GOG.com as the digital distribution platform will be able to use Direct IP or LAN options to play in multiplayer. Once GOG Galaxy launches (by the end of August, the folks at GOG tell us), they will be able to take advantage of all the features this DRM-free online gaming platform offers.

The Divine Engine Toolkit is live!

Now that the Divinity Engine Toolkit is available to download, we can't wait to see and play all the amazing adventures modders will produce. With a wide world of assets and a very powerful engine at your disposal, Rivellon (or your own personal universe) as at your fingertips.

Check out the following video for an overview of the engine's features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBzzYVK7cEI

We'll be offering much more in the way of illuminating some of the finer points of navigating our toolset in the coming weeks and months, but first we'll take a bit of breather to enjoy the game's launch and catch up on some sleep :).

A word on translations...

Due to the volume of text in the game and some last minute changes, some of our translations arrived later than others. English is, of course, available in a completed form now, and we expect French & German to be in by tomorrow. We'll soon have word on Polish and Russian.

Claim your hint; beware your sheep

Those of you who added the Weresheep hint to your pledge, keep an eye on your email inboxes. You should be receiving your hint shortly! Happy hunting and feel free to share your hint if you're feeling generous.

Let's get playing!

Enough reading; it's time to play! We invite you to share your experiences with the game on our forum and, most of all, to enjoy the fruit of your investment. Again, as ever, this project would not have been possible without your support. Thank you and have fun!

Rookersh posted:

Stabbey, what is the canon order now. Is it Original Sin > Dragon Commander > DD, or Dragon Commander > Original Sin > DD.

Chronologically, it's this:

Dragon Commander > Original Sin > Divine Divinity > Beyond Divinity > Divinity 2

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Was just finishing another quick post in response to the guy asking about hybrid characters, here's my thoughts on starting spell school choices for a spellsword:

Aerotheurge (air magic) - there's not much exciting at lower levels, but you do get Teleport which is awesome (even though it costs a ton of AP and has a huge cooldown). At mid-levels, there's a "Become Air" self-buff which costs I think 3 AP and gives you 50% resistance to physical damage, plus a "Lightning Strike" spell which causes you to blink chain from enemy to enemy doing lightning damage and then end behind an enemy. Plus Shocking Touch for a cheap reliable stun. Probably would want to be more caster-focused since you'll need higher casting skills to use the awesome mid-level Air stuff, and won't come online until slightly later.

Geomancy (earth) - kind of the opposite of air, one point in it for the starter spells is awesome and more investment is kinda useless since you're fighting undead which are immune/healed by poison damage from Geomancy. One point wonder, gets you an awesome starting Spider summon, oil puddle slow (light it on fire!), then an armor and to-hit chance buff and Petrifying Touch at mid-levels. Can go more fighter-y since you might not come back to boosting your casting/Geomancy skills until after you're past the first chunk of the game.

Hydrosophist (water) - big attraction here are heals, which are never bad. Not much in the way of damage or CC spells, but it does combo well with other elemental magic.

Pyrokinetic (fire) - eh, I'd avoid fire for a hybrid. It's mostly big damage nukes which you don't do as well as a pure mage, and instead of the hard CC of other elemental schools you get a smokescreen which is ok but you really want a clutch stun on hand. Fire has a haste and Perception buff, but they both also give you the Warm status which is usually really bad news for a melee (weakness to fire).

Witchcraft - another sort of one-point wonder I'd come back to later in the game, not as strong as Geomancy out of the gate though I think. This is mostly buffs/debuffs, weak damage spells and doesn't get its summon or good CC until level 10. One point lets you toss 50% damage buffs on allies and weaken enemies, maybe some other neat stuff, but I don't think it's as strong a starting choice as water, air, earth.

I'll also link to my post in the last thread about character creation and early game, there are some minimal spoilers I've blacked out http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541185&userid=80360#post431539468

If anyone's interested in a regular co-op game, I'm looking to play for a couple hours most nights, free between 6-10pm PST. My Steam ID is same as my forum ID, or you can PM if you're interested. I've played through most of the beta but am sure to have missed a lot of stuff, plus it'd be a lot more fun to replay as multiplayer than mostly repeating single. I promise I'm good at shutting my mouth about spoilers :v:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Important info about your second key, if you gave it away (also added to the FAQ):

Response

Larian posted:

If you gave away a key, you'll soon be able to destroy it & get a new Steam key.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Just to be clear (sorry) are we good to download this with impunity now? I split a 2-pack on steam during the sale but it popped up as early access? Should I just wait a bit more to make sure I don't need to download anything again?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Just thought I'd do a quick post saying The Iron Rose is an honorable goon that's replacing the Alpha key I sent him all those moons ago. I'm sure Larian would have worked it out had I emailed them but this will be much quicker.

edit: heh looks like it's already been covered

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Razzled posted:

Just to be clear (sorry) are we good to download this with impunity now? I split a 2-pack on steam during the sale but it popped up as early access? Should I just wait a bit more to make sure I don't need to download anything again?

The full release is live on Steam, go get it!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

So if I already have the Steam alpha from a friend's Kickstarter Steam code, do I have to do anything? Or is it just the release version now? I'm feeling kind of dumb this early. :downs:

I'm also looking for someone to play with! I'm Pacific time (GMT-8) and have too much free time at the moment, but I favor evenings to later. I sort of poked at beta a bit, got far enough to decide I really enjoyed the game, and held off 'til release. I'm thinking I'd want to play a healer of some sort, if that sounds cool, or possibly a rogue because I was really enjoying backstabbing, but I'm down with whatever. Steam account is here, or you can PM me or post here or whatever.

Would be cool if we could get a Goon steam group going to find people looking to play, maybe?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Looks like I'm one of the backers who isn't in the database yet. Going to try and play some of my Summer Sale games to cool my nerves, but I'm SO loving HYPED for this game that it'll be difficult.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Important info about your second key, if you gave it away (also added to the FAQ):

Response

That's a relief. I was panicking for a bit there.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

I'll also link to my post in the last thread about character creation and early game, there are some minimal spoilers I've blacked out http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541185&userid=80360#post431539468

I was about to say that this needed to be in the OP.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Someone Awful! posted:

So if I already have the Steam alpha from a friend's Kickstarter Steam code, do I have to do anything? Or is it just the release version now? I'm feeling kind of dumb this early. :downs:

You have the release version, but it's up to the good graces of your friend whether you keep it or not.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What are the classes you can get with companions later on?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Response

Hopefully Larian got this part right because the person I gave the Early Access key to doesn't think he'll play the full game.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

Hydrosophist (water) - big attraction here are heals, which are never bad. Not much in the way of damage or CC spells, but it does combo well with other elemental magic.

Unless they changed it, Water gives you one of the strongest early-game combos, which is Rain followed by that Dragon head that comes out of the ground and breaths a cone that freezes anyone who's wet.

You can chain this if you have a water caster and get Jahan, who I believe has that combo to start with.

Disregard, this has all changed.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 30, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

S.T.C.A. posted:

Unless they changed it, Water gives you one of the strongest early-game combos, which is Rain followed by that Dragon head that comes out of the ground and breaths a cone that freezes anyone who's wet.

You can chain this if you have a water caster and get Jahan, who I believe has that combo to start with.

Disregard if this has all changed.

Yeah, that spell must have been moved to a higher tier, past the early game section, because it has not been seen in months. One of the reasons for starting a new thread was to make sure that the information was up to date and accurate.

WYA posted:

What are the classes you can get with companions later on?

We don't know because they are not in yet - only Jahan and Madora.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is there any way to change a single player game into a multiplayer one?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Any word on problems with entering the Kickstarter code? I've messed around with it for a while, but it keeps saying that the code's invalid.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Great Rumbler posted:

Any word on problems with entering the Kickstarter code? I've messed around with it for a while, but it keeps saying that the code's invalid.

Yeah, they're still updating their DB with all the backer codes, Stabbey posted about it a few posts up.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Okay, it's not a big deal or anything as long as it gets fixed, I don't have time to really play the game right now anyway.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

quote:

Lisa's Brain: Poor predictable Bart; always takes Rock.
Bart's Brain: Good ol' Rock, nothing beats that!

Next time it'll work...

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Darkhold posted:

Just thought I'd do a quick post saying The Iron Rose is an honorable goon that's replacing the Alpha key I sent him all those moons ago. I'm sure Larian would have worked it out had I emailed them but this will be much quicker.

edit: heh looks like it's already been covered

Her, but no problem! I had a lot of fun with the Beta and I anticipate having a ton of fun with the full released game.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Well, I left my game on public and muslim0972 joined my game as Scarlette, went mad blasting NPCs and got me killed, now I have to restart

Noirex
May 30, 2006

So if I want to solo for now with the intention of maybe co coping with someone later, do I make a single player or a multiplayer game? If I make a multiplayer game, is everything the same basically when I'm by myself?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Noirex posted:

So if I want to solo for now with the intention of maybe co coping with someone later, do I make a single player or a multiplayer game? If I make a multiplayer game, is everything the same basically when I'm by myself?

Singleplayer. The Multiplayer start is only so your partner can make their own appearance and starting class.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

WYA posted:

Well, I left my game on public and muslim0972 joined my game as Scarlette, went mad blasting NPCs and got me killed, now I have to restart

ISIL is bringing the terror right into the homes of the infidels, I see.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It's currently bugged according to the Kickstarter comment sessions. It's a profile, though, so you can just make a new profile.
Can you then load your existing saves in the new profile and have the kickstarter code apply its thing?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Anyone have tips on playing a pure mage?

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Bought this game on a whim since I saw it on sale. Cant wait to get home tonight and play.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Having a tough time picking my 2 starting classes. I know I want a knight but can't decide on what to make for the second character but leaning towards wayfarer.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Does the class choice affect anything if you just customize the characters stats and abilities anyway?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
You can make Roderick Female, or Scarlett Male.

If you do, they have a different voice actor voicing their lines then the other character does :psyduck:. I did femRoderick and femScarlett, and they had two different voice actors.

I also just had an argument with myself about suicide. This game is already off to a Larian as gently caress start.

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!
I just wanted to say thank you to Stabbey for all the hard work you have put into maintaining both threads for this game. You're a p. cool dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
How do you pick your starting skills, or are those pre-set?

Edit: Doh, click the scroll.

• Locked thread