Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
My cat dragged a squirrel-baby into my apartment on saturday. I first thought she caught a mole or something, since I didn't knew squirrels tend to stay inside their nests rather long and are covered in dense fur long before they ever open their eyes. Also baby-squirrels already have those cute long hands I misinterpreted somewhat fiercely. (Until saturday I knew next to nothing about both moles and baby-squirrels. Of course, confusing moles and squirrels is still kind of embarrassing. :v:) This one was already almost as large as an adult, just minus the pointed ears and the bushy tail. I think my cat was rather proud of gifting me with this heavily bleeding, catatonic squirrel. Personally, I could have done without.

But all in all it went well. The little bugger apparently fell from the large tree behind our house and was just brought in by my little sweety. Which means she saved his life -there are other cats around, who aren't as well-fed as mine. I cleaned and disinfected the bite wounds made by my cat, tended to it like a squirrel emergency website taught me to do and contacted the squirrel emergency hotline. In the evening I transported the squirrel to a vet I got into contact with and it was already over it's shock and getting active again. (Most of the time in my apartment the little one spend sleeping, or getting fed with a water/sugar/salt-solution while my cat carefully observed everything I did.)

So, after several different types of mice and birds, this was the largest mammal my cat caught and will most likely be the largest until fat sewer-rats start infesting our house or my cat finds a way into my neighbours' bunny shed.

This whole episode made me thinking, how many other pet owners have trouble with animals being dragged in by their pets? What's the largest animal your own predatory pet has brought in?

I start with the victim count for my own pet:

Mice: 3 (2 common shrews; 1 common vole) - 1 shrew alive, the rest dead also holy poo poo shrews are loving loud
Birds: 2 (1 Eurasian blue tit; 1 unknown, just feathers and blood near my window) - both dead
Squirrels: 1 (1 Red Squirrel, baby) - alive

Edit:

New counter as of 04.07.2014:

Mice/Vole/chipmunks/other Vermin: 59 [55]
Squirrels: 2 [1]
Rabbits: 40 [40]
Skunks: 1 [1]
Bats: 1 [1]
Birds: 33 [31]
Cats: 3 [1]
Raccoons: 3 [0]
Fox: 1 [0]
Trees: 1 [0]
Unknown: 6-7 [6-7]
Hummingbird: 1 [0]
A puppy: 1 [1]
Dogs: 1 [1] (A venomous snake is also a predator. )
Venomous Snake: 1 [0]

Final tally today:

95-96 acts of attempted murder
83-84 of which were pretty drat successful

Libluini fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Dog isn't allowed to bring his victims inside, but he tries sometimes.

I always make him finish them on the deck though.

He has murdered:
4 pigeons
6-7 fledglings of assorted species
3 adult rabbits and at least 6 full nests of baby rabbits
dozens of voles/mice/chipmunks
1 skunk

He has attempted to murder:
2 feral cats
3 raccoons
1 fox
1 woodchuck
1 tree

That dog sure loves killing poo poo.

cats
May 11, 2009
I (my parents) have two cats. The smart black one has caught and killed countless mice, cicadas, sparrows, and robins. She has caught at least half a dozen chipmunks, which end up about 50% dead, 25% escaped, and 25% up a giant maple tree in the backyard. Can chipmunks climb back down? If not, there's a sizable chipmunk graveyard in that tree. But the biggest thing she's killed was a rabbit.

The other dumbass cat is too stupid to hunt, but once he caught a hummingbird! Then he was too scared to do anything with it so my dad took it away and set it free.

catamar
May 23, 2008
Gansett has never personally murdered anything but he's incredibly good at finding pre-dead animals. So far this year he's eaten 2 fledglings, a mouse, and a mole.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
We live in the woods and Artemis is very vigilant about alerting us to the encroaching Chipmunk threat. She hasn't managed to get a live one yet, but she's eaten the corpse of at least 1 either chipmunk or mouse while we were on a walk.

She had a flattened snake in her mouth before I was able to pull that away from her.

I'm half tempted to let her go to town though, if it's this common for dogs to eat small animals I think it'd be great to not have to worry about those drat chipmunks for a while. All that rescuing and ranging they do!!!

In all seriousness, if they do manage to get something, what's the procedure? I remember someone said to keep up with de-worming and all normal vaccines/etc, but do you need to do anything else when you know your pet has ravaged something?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
My shitbulls killed my puppy and cat

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
My childhood cat Sunshine was an outdoor cat for a few years (before my parents eventually decided to make her an indoor-only cat) and she caught quite a few animals. Here's my favorite memory of that:

My grandma was staying at my parents house for a few nights for a visit and one night, while we were getting ready for dinner, Sunshine caught a squirrel and placed it sitting up on our deck which was right next to and very visible from our dining room. Except--one thing was missing from the squirrel. It's head. I was something like 6 years old and I thought it was "awesome" and I remember noting that "it looks JUST like a chocolate bunny! And, she even ate the head first! Haha!" My grandma was so disgusted with all this she hardly said anything else for the whole rest of the night and didn't eat a thing.

Later that night the missing squirrel head (or more accurately, the skull) was discovered in our basement as Sunshine barfed it up. Kid-me thought this was yet again "awesome" yet somehow no one else thought so. Especially not my dad who was the one who had to get rid of it.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

We were snowshoeing last winter and came across a vole on top of the snow. I encouraged the dogs to get it because it was sluggish and useless and they have eaten (dead) wild things. They didn't kill it but were happy to paw roughly at and sniff it. Good thing we always bring a hunting knife and were able to dispatch the little critter.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Dex used to corner crickets, rip their back legs off and then roll all over them for the final blow. Because bathing in the "blood" of your victims is the badass way to do it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've only witnessed my family's old Chow, Czar, killing and devouring a bat and a seagull, both of which flew into the yard and landed, only to be eaten by a murdermachine. The third unsuccessful attempt was Czar vs a venomous snake. :rip:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

I've only witnessed my family's old Chow, Czar, killing and devouring a bat and a seagull, both of which flew into the yard and landed, only to be eaten by a murdermachine. The third unsuccessful attempt was Czar vs a venomous snake. :rip:

I think now is the time to tally up the new victim count. Format: At least your pet tried [Succesful Kills]

Since I did count a baby squirrel fully, I looked up how many baby rabbits are commonly in a nest, so every full nest of baby rabbits counted as 6 rabbits. Also I think "dozens" are at least two dozen to me so make this 24 more animals to the butcher. (Holy poo poo that dog is a murder machine. :stare: )

By the way: Just so I have a number, "countless", "a lot" and similar things equals 50 animals for now. If there are several classes of animals mixed, I just divide through the number of stuff I want to count.

Mice/Vole/chipmunks/other Vermin: 59 [55]
Squirrels: 2 [1]
Rabbits: 40 [40]
Skunks: 1 [1]
Bats: 1 [1]
Birds: 33 [31]
Cats: 3 [1] :stonk:
Raccoons: 3 [0]
Fox: 1 [0]
Trees: 1 [0]
Unknown: 6-7 [6-7]
Hummingbird: 1 [0]
A puppy: 1 [1] :stonk:
Dogs: 1 [1] (A venomous snake is also a predator. :v:)
Venomous Snake: 1 [0]

-Stuff I didn't count:
-Animals already dead.
-Animals killed by humans because they were too slow? What the hell, Adventure in the Sandbox?

Final tally today:

95-96 acts of attempted murder
83-84 of which were pretty drat successful

Holy poo poo our animals are terrible monsters.

Honorable mentions: Gansett, for being a pet far too nice for it's own good and old dog Czar, for learning too late that there is always one bastard worse.

mcswizzle posted:

In all seriousness, if they do manage to get something, what's the procedure? I remember someone said to keep up with de-worming and all normal vaccines/etc, but do you need to do anything else when you know your pet has ravaged something?

If your pets are eating wild animals, you're supposed to keep up with regular de-worming (every two months) and vaccination (depends on local diseases). If you get live animals brought in, it mostly depends on you and local law. Red squirrels are protected where I live, for example. Which is why we have a nation-wide squirrel emergency hotline, for example. As a rule, as long as you can differentiate between voles (only Gansett cares for those) and shrews (insect-eaters, important), you're already ahead of the pack.

As an example, since my cat is sometimes eating little animals (most of the time she just kills or plays for fun), I'm letting my vet give her an anti-worm pill every odd month or so. Since she's a little bit on the old side already and has lived on the street as a stray for a few months, my vet determined it would be a bad idea to weaken her already weak immune system with too much stuff. But normally she would need 1-2 vaccinations a year.

If your pet stays at home all the time, you only need vaccinations if it can come into contact with other animals. (So I guess as long as your pet isn't a hardened street cat, they always need their shots.)

But by all means, ask your local vet instead of listening to me, Mr. Some Guy on the Internet. Believe me, it's better for your pet in the long run! (Except if your vet is poo poo, but then I would be at a loss, anyway.)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
0. They're indoor cats.

You should all feel bad.

Also, I suspect Superconsndar was either joking or trolling.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

My chihuahua killed a baby squirrel once. Or, maimed it badly enough that a vet euthed it.

Other than that, 0. Not for lack of trying though.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
All the cats in the neighbourhood got lazy and stopped hunting because fruit bats just fry themselves on powerlines and drop into the gutter. It smells disgusting.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."
Mine are indoor only, but the 3 kitties I used to pet-sit for.. Jesus.

One live Moorhen chick (returned to patiently waiting mother and fellow chicks)
A live blackbird (died when I opened the front door for it and it flew into the closed window instead)

Dead:
Half a dozen baby rabbits
Countless mice
Countless Rats from by the millpond
Two dozen slow worms (a type of white snake)

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Leia is 1 for 1 with squirrels. Broke it's back and it passed away soon after.

Luke as far as I know, hasn't gotten anything.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

0. They're indoor cats.

You should all feel bad.

My indoor cats have quite a kill count.

Spiders: at least 7
Roaches: 4
Flying things: 10

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Libluini posted:

Dogs: 1 [1] (A venomous snake is also a predator. :v:)

True, but it wasnt a pet!

Czar also tried to eat a tiny kitten we found in the yard as well. Add that to an unsuccessful attempt since we got it out of his mouth fast enough. And my front tooth when I slipped and shattered it trying to catch the dog when he got loose during a bath.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Libluini posted:

-Animals killed by humans because they were too slow? What the hell, Adventure in the Sandbox?

Tell me about it! Come on you two, shape up or ship out:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

0. They're indoor cats.

You should all feel bad.

She's not joking.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
turns out dogs are large predators and kill things sometimes. who knew?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

She's not joking.

Oh. I just assumed, from the mile-long rap sheet. I guess I owe her an apology.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

uhm can I put in...

insects[holy fukken poo poo]

Notable standouts: 20 odd cicadas back during the swarms, one of my cats fukken loves him cicadas

birds[2], multiple unsuccessful attempts

voles[4] that I know of. (MURDER PRESENTS)

large nasty rats[1]bigger than my hand

mice at least a dozen, again known.

Whatever was on the other end that one time years ago he came back battered, covered in blood with a triumphant swagger after escaping for a day.

Baby bunnies [1]. :rip:

Those are just my 3 living cats.

if I included my old dog the list would include multiple farm animals culminating in an unsuccessful attack on an entire horse.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

She's not joking.

RIP

tada.wav
Dec 24, 2013

Superconsndar posted:

My shitbulls killed my puppy and cat

Pitbulls are great :staredog:

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Biscuit:

Squirrel: 3
Rabbit : 4
Bird : 2
Mice : 5

Wally and Willard are indoor cats because I'm not a horrible person:

Mice: 7 (one was an escaped feeder than I then fed to my snakes, not sure if that counts)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

tada.wav posted:

Pitbulls are great :staredog:

Do never, ever shitbull. I mean it and this is not a fakepost. Their time has Passed and a good one is not a pet. All of you with rescue pits: ur prob fine because those dogs are prob poo poo, keep on. I've got mine but after that I'm done with them tbh. Not their fault at all but haahha.

edit: again this will not apply to the average pitbull owner, i got real spergy dogs made to do exactly what they did

edit 2: i must emphasize that i was the big gay fuckup in this sitch

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 7, 2014

The Carbon Tax
Sep 30, 2013

by XyloJW
In the last year: at /least/ 30 confirmed rats (thanks creepy man in my street who harbored a huge rat colony who then decided to stop feeding them, forcing them to take their chances against my dogs for the dog food - they lost), a cockatoo, a duck, several huge lizards, and an untold number of beetles.

I had to move the bird feeder because the dogs began hunting the birds.

e: going to revise my rat estimate. I lost count in the low 30s but I'm fairly sure it hit 40.

The Carbon Tax fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 7, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Guess what Moo caught.

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.

Eifert Posting posted:

Guess what Moo caught.

A bee?

Saturn is now 17.5 years old. I got her at 3 months old. She's a cat.

At least 10 mice (that I cleaned up)
Countless cockroaches & flies
A great big green parrot that she left ALL OVER MY BEDROOM
Gross enormous rat that she brought to my mother's dinner party (thanks sweetie...)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Dumb dog chased it for like ten minutes, ignored "leave it" even though he's usually great with that one. Then I hear a yuoip! and he comes over looking for sympathy looking like a prizefighter. I told you, dumbass.

He's done it at least 4 times, too. Dog puts the "a" in Smrt.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Decoy loves catching these loving things (total kill count approximately 8):

He even bought one inside and squirted its guts all over a curtain.

Thanks dude.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

My parent's mastiff killed my pet pygmy goat when I was younger. Also an entire flock of chickens.

Erudite Sybarite
Jun 11, 2007

Is that a first edition? I'm oddly aroused.
Helen killed a cat. She has also tried to kill anything that moves, so she's pretty big into attempted murder. Mae just chases lizards. loving pibbles.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Sheila's killed numerous baby anoles. I, in turn, have lost count of how many of her kills I've found by stepping on whole or partially-eaten lizard babies.

She also tries to murder other neighborhood cats from behind the windows. The worst cat.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

My neighbors cat just got killed by a visiting Airedale over the weekend.

E: left "got" out and it read pretty funny

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
My dog murdered a dragon squeaky toy.

Then he took my heart hostage :unsmith:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My dogs have killed dozens of flies, does that count?

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

My cats continue to try and murder my snakes but have calmed down about it and just lazily paw at the glass when the snakes are out now.

They haven't killed anything though. Which sucks, because I'm getting tired of roaches. None of my previously owned dogs killed anything, even my first dog (who was strictly outdoor only).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
Countless insects and lizards, and maybe one cat.

Scooter loves eating bees. I always try to stop him but sometimes he still gets them and has never had a reaction to it because he is apparently the Dog of Steel.

• Locked thread