Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Seltzer posted:

I want Chael to go crazy with HGH now and sub Galvao.

Chael will most likely be on less juice than Galvao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

outy posted:

UFC Embedded Episode 1 is up

http://youtu.be/_44lOzgNMm8

Oh Ronda.
Swoon.

Poll on best part of this:

A) Machida making breakfast in his fight shorts
B) Alexis' stepson's saxophone solo

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

CommonShore posted:

That 175/176 turnaround is insane and I want to see it. Amanda Nunes seems like a good candidate.

She might be the best candidate, but she isn't a good one. Unless Zingano's ready to go (I'm pretty sure she isn't, right?) then there is no good candidate.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/7/4/5871519/unification-opportunities-galore-as-weidman-machida-rousey-and-davis

My friend Matt wrote this. Seeing as we're all a bunch of nerds here, some of you might be interested.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

TheRationalRedditor posted:

One of my most enduring TUF memories (from 4 the best season of course) is that one episode where the editors focused on a narrative McCarthy being super pissed at someone from the other team who he couldn't stand, I think it was Matt Wiman. For whatever reason Shonie Carter was calling the fight pick in the episode, from which he bellowed out in a deep singsong-y voice "~CHARLES MCCARTHY...IT IS NOT YOU!~ which had him completely faked out and tromping forward in a childish brooding way before sheepishly slinking back to his position.

Wiman was season 5. Couldn't have been him. Maybe it was Cote?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Is BJ and Frankie's total fight time of 64:16 the most for any pair of ufc fighters? (Frankie + Gray = 58:54)

The fights didn't take place in the UFC, but Melendez and Thomson are at 75:00

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Right. Sakuraba and Royce have 90:00, too. No aspect of that fight will ever be seen again.

Actually, Royce and Saku have 105 minutes thanks to their '07 homage to Inoki/Ali.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR-FLwonazA

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Have we seen the scorecards? Do we know which round the one judge had as a 10-8?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Loyto Machida. Loyto Machida.

And the 48-47 had the 2nd for Machida and the 5th for Weidman. Are you sure this is real?

Sprecherscrow fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 7, 2014

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

It was a really close round

Less so than the 5th.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

John Cena posted:

I don't see how Weidman doesn't win round 5? Round 2 was close, but aside from 4 thats the only one you can give him.

I had round 5 for Weidman, I just assumed that if you're going to give a second round to Machida it'd be 5. I guess I need to rewatch the fight, but I recall the first 3 rounds being Weidman domination whereas the fifth had both guys land a bunch because their defense was suffering due to exhaustion.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Weidman's performance was really impressive because he stepped on the gas when he had to and avoided losing a contentious 48-47, even if it meant rushing into Machida's counters. Very few people fight that smart.

It wasn't just fighting smart, but preparing smart. He seemed to have developed a style of footwork which allowed him to control Machida on the feet with positioning. At times I thought he was aping Machida's style except he moved towards the opponent with it instead of backwards. Someone tell me I'm nuts.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

I don't think that's fair to GSP since his last fights with Condit and Hendricks were good. The Koscheck one was also pretty good. So you'd be looking at GSP/Shields (wasn't bad though) or GSP/Hardy for the last one like that and there's certainly been a few boring title fights since early 2011. Jones/Shad for example was 2012 and that one was no good

But I think all the champions have had great fights recently so props to them, MMA is cool.

There was one between Condit and Hendricks that was pretty boring mainly because the opponent was completely outclassed in every way.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

coconono posted:

Gil is capable of going into full on Diaz dumb rants, so that'll be interesting.

Pettis seems pretty bro.

The Diaz Brothers are also capable of full on Diaz dumb rants and they're two of Gil's assistant coaches.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

i get the joke but Diaz brothers, both of them, showed up for Roy Nelson. They would show up for Gilbert.

Anyway Gil being on TUF was part of that contract he signed to keep him away from Bellator. Same reason why he's been doing so much analyst work on FOX. UFC had to make the coaches for this season Jillbear vs Pettis. I agree though that they should lay off the champions or important fighters for a while and just do Coleman vs Hughes.

On Saturday they had him as their ESPN ambassador or whatever, going over the fights on Sportscenter.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

all of them. I can't think of an Aldo UFC and WEC fight that wasn't either totally rad or significant. Maybe his most recent one versus Lamas cause that's the first time he fought a guy who wasn't either A) a former champion like Frankie, B) a fan favorite like Chan Sung Jung, C) undefeated like Mendes, or D) Kenny Florian like Kenny Florian. He knocked out Manny Gamburyan once and it owned.

Lamas drew in the elusive "Elmhurst College wrestling team super fan who doesn't much care for MMA" fanbase which consists of my friend Tom.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

corillon posted:

I am joking but not joking. They are both in the middle of having a snit fit with the UFC. I wouldn't bet money on them being there.

I think there was a Pettis interview over the weekend where he specifically mentioned them being around.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Captain Log posted:

I thought he had a cool little kid. What's been going wrong in Pulver town? :(

If you mean the kid he just had the "fight" with that was all :3:, that was his nephew I believe.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Trast posted:

That should be a good tune up.

And on the off chance she loses, they can give Nunes a title shot.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Since the Nick Newell beating didn't deliver the outcry I figured it would I do morbidly wonder if we could get away with such a thing. The only match I would approve of would be Rousey/Caraway though.

You wonder? Are these posts serious? No, a man vs. woman bout will not get sanctioned by any comission in this country, or any country the UFC operates in.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Aurain posted:

When it comes to Brazil, there are legitimate concerns to be had as to whether the bout was sanctioned (if it was mixed-gender, there's a massive chance it was not) and whether or not it was a work for publicity (it probably was).

If the UFC held an unsanctioned mixed-gender fight to get around US athletic commissions telling them to get lost and the female fighter was severely hurt, they'd be shut down as an organisation in a week, in all likelihood.

The UFC always go by NSAC rules even when they're not in the US to avoid all of the ramifications of not following the rules they have to anyway, so any chance of cross-gender fights happening is literally zero.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/wait-so-that-mixed-gender-fight-was-actually-just-about-promoting-domestic-abuse-awareness

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Lloyd Boner posted:

Huh I just noticed that they're debuting the straw weights on a random Wednesday Fight Night. Granted it's a pretty cool loving card but that's still kinda weird.

And not even televised. That's really weird you would think they would want people to see it.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Agent Tough Juice posted:

To add insult to injury, they awarded the Golden Ball to Chael Sonnen yesterday after the match.

That's good he needs a new set of balls.

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I'm pretty excited for Cerrone/Miller and I hope Cerrone wins so he can pay off his debtors or not and buy another ATV or whatever it is he spends all his money on.

Beer and hats mostly.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Panama Red posted:

And then that time a Japanese professional wrestler made him tap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flsM8KWbYrg

I thought all of Ogawa's wins were works?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Incendiary Pig posted:

I still want to see it.

It happened. Vitor won.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Nick Diaz threw the towel in for Nate. Granted, it was p. much over anyway.

You're right, I'm pretty sure the ref stopped it without seeing the towel.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
An open letter to Robbie Lawler in light of this weekend:

Dear Mr. Lawler,

This fighter you are now. Where was he during those unfortunate years of you being a middle of the road middleweight? What switch got flipped when you returned to both the UFC and welterweight?

Sincerely,
The MMA Watching Public.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

El Roncho posted:

Rich Clementi>Anthony Johnson>Lil Nog>Dan Henderson>Fedor

Frankie Edgar>Gray Maynard>Rich Clementi>Anthony Johnson>Lil Nog>Dan Henderson>Fedor

Frankie is GOAT.

coconono posted:

I blame Nick Diaz.

Diaz/Lawler was the first MMA bout I ever watched. No wonder I got hooked.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

fatherdog posted:

the only thing Cerrone is likely to test positive for is bud light

Wait, he drinks light beer? Da gently caress? He can't drink full test Budweiser? I know he's got a weight cut to deal with, but cmon.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

I always assumed Cerrone would drink High Life.

You don't watch post fight press conferences I take it?

Aurain posted:

I don't keep up with TUF because it's poo poo, but I'm assuming Bethe Correia, Shayna Baszler or both are ex TUF'ers because that's the only reason why I can imagine a #10 Bantam of either gender being the third fight on a PPV.

Baszler was on TUF and lives and trains with Ronda. Correia is coming off a win over fellow TUFer and Ronda roomie/training partner Jessamyn Duke. If Correia beats Baszler then they have a good storyline to build up a title fight for her. Keep in mind A)Rankings mean jack poo poo and B) Ronda has beaten 2-5 and 7 and she'll probably fight Zingano by next Spring if not sooner.

Sprecherscrow fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 29, 2014

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

No. I don't know how you people can stay awake that long. I always fall asleep waiting for it to start.

Cerrone is usually on stage double fisting Budweiser tallboys at these things.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Count Roland posted:

As someone who has spent years training BJJ, I think that looks stupid as poo poo.

Sucks to suck bro.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

A failed test was one of things that delayed Drysdale's debut. That's the problem with the lack of testing in high level grappling, the guys who try to transfer over never learned how to cycle.

LobsterMobster posted:

Nick Diaz vs Vitor Belfort for the interim middleweight title

Diaz has no prior fights at Middleweight and hasn't won a fight in 3 years, and somehow this still seems plausible.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Triticum Guzzler posted:

they aren't, surely

They will have a grappling match at ADCC next year. So no, they are not fighting.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

origami posted:

Why is 178 stuffed with so many walnuts??

Have you ever seasoned walnuts with herb?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

coconono posted:

He can't work a smartphone. I tried showing him Siri and it couldn't understand him.

The lead you are burying is that you are the Iron Sheik's son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Ty1990 posted:

Man. I wish I was able to watch the beginning days of the UFC (I was like 2 at the time) because today I listened to the Steve Austin podcast featuring Ken Shamrock and I never knew how awesome and tough he was.

- Ken kicked the poo poo out of everybody in the gym even though they all outweighed him by like 100 pounds.

- Ken was by far the toughest guy in the UFC 1 tournament and nobody in the tournament was even on his level.

- Had the Gracie's known how tough and awesome Ken was he wouldn't have been allowed in the tournament.

- The Gracie's hosed with the tournament card several times. They even set up the fights so that Royce would get 2 fights to rest before the Semi- finals and Ken would have to fight twice in a row or something.

- During the UFC 1 fight they made Ken take off his shoes because they were so worried he'd gently caress Royce up. But they let Royce keep on his Gi, which was a dangerous weapon.

- Ken was kicking the poo poo out of Royce and almost tapped him but he slipped because he didn't have his wrestling shoes on. This allowed Royce to sink in a choke using the dangerous Gi.

- Ken, confused to as if he was training or fighting (he seriously says this) tapped out to the choke even though it didn't hurt because he thought like in training, he'd be able to just get up and keep going. After tapping and standing up, Royce, who usually would have no problem just taking down a guy and submitting him again, begged and pleaded with the ref to call the fight because Ken tapped. Ken admitted to tapping because he's honorable as gently caress.

- After getting lucky against Ken Royce ducked him every chance he could.

- Finally, after getting to fight Royce again at UFC 5, Ken beat the ever living poo poo out of him and the only thing that saved Royce was the time limit the Gracie's insisted on putting into place because they knew Ken was going to kill Royce if there wasn't one. The fight went down in the books as a draw but Ken said if a ref was there the fight would've been stopped on several occasions.

- He's the reason the UFC is as big as it is today.

Sometimes it feels like Ken and Royce are in an ongoing contest of who can tarnish their legacy more.

• Locked thread