Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Glazius posted:

The Quiet Year

Never heard of this game before. Looked into it and it seems pretty cool. The way its structured makes it seem like it'd work well for play by post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
It's been a while since I've watched Evangelion, but wasn't pretty much the entire idea of that show to on one hand make sense of the fact that the pilots in mecha anime tend to be teenagers (i.e. in the case of Evangelion you need a sympathetic connection between the pilot and the host spirit occupying the EVA, so teenagers who have lost a family member in an EVA-related incident are the best candidates) while at the same time trying to really make the point that using teenagers as mecha pilots is pretty sick (because teenagers tend to be really fragile and unstable, so making them fight big monsters from outer space in giant robot suits is bound to gently caress them up)?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Yeah, I'm really glad I went basically looking for "David Lynch makes a robot anime".

Man, that is exactly the kind of cryptic giant I don't want appearing in my dreams.

Something something hit the bottle with the lance of Longinus on the first take.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ratpick posted:

It's been a while since I've watched Evangelion, but wasn't pretty much the entire idea of that show to on one hand make sense of the fact that the pilots in mecha anime tend to be teenagers (i.e. in the case of Evangelion you need a sympathetic connection between the pilot and the host spirit occupying the EVA, so teenagers who have lost a family member in an EVA-related incident are the best candidates) while at the same time trying to really make the point that using teenagers as mecha pilots is pretty sick (because teenagers tend to be really fragile and unstable, so making them fight big monsters from outer space in giant robot suits is bound to gently caress them up)?

Well, there's also the fact that the guy who was writing it more or less had a nervous breakdown during the process, so...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, there's also the fact that the guy who was writing it more or less had a nervous breakdown during the process, so...
This is actually what I hated about Evangelion: it mirrors its creator's problems by periodically taking a jackhammer to all the character development that's happened thus far.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

This is pretty long, but it's the best and most comprehensive discussion of Evangelion I've ever watched. :nsfw: because he really goes into everything that the series discusses. Nothing visually explicit, but not something I'd watch in front of my boss due to the inevitable discussion of "that scene" from End of Eva (you know the one).

http://blip.tv/foldablehuman/s3e2-end-of-evangelion-and-the-audience-author-membrane-6540094

edit: the follow up is pretty good, but not essential if you don't have the time or aren't interested: http://blip.tv/foldablehuman/s3e2-1-end-of-eva-follow-up-6558464

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Spoilers Below posted:

This is pretty long, but it's the best and most comprehensive discussion of Evangelion I've ever watched. :nsfw: because he really goes into everything that the series discusses. Nothing visually explicit, but not something I'd watch in front of my boss due to the inevitable discussion of "that scene" from End of Eva (you know the one).

http://blip.tv/foldablehuman/s3e2-end-of-evangelion-and-the-audience-author-membrane-6540094

edit: the follow up is pretty good, but not essential if you don't have the time or aren't interested: http://blip.tv/foldablehuman/s3e2-1-end-of-eva-follow-up-6558464

That review owns because he keeps bringing that scene up.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I never got into Eva (thank God) despite being in Animes Club in college when it came stateside, but I know enough about it that I can appreciate this.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

In conclusion don't play anime games

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Evil Mastermind posted:

I never got into Eva (thank God) despite being in Animes Club in college when it came stateside, but I know enough about it that I can appreciate this.

There's a spinoff manga which is basically the adventures of Gendo Ikari, World's Best Worst Dad. (It's a comedy take on the show, not horrible psychological scarring. Everyone's parents are alive, for instance.)

It's my favorite thing, hands-down.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Captain Foo posted:

In conclusion don't play anime games

It's amazing how terrible all teen anime games are and Monsterhearts just kind of sits there being boss as hell. It's probably the PbtA.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Obviously someone should run an anime high school themed Monsterhearts game.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Isn't that half the Monsterhearts games that got played in the Game Room?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ImpactVector posted:

That's why the players in my group take it the other way:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Why are you charging the d10 with the 8 face-up? You'll throw off the calibration! Everybody knows you let your dice sit with the highest value showing.

Noway are you crazy? You always charge your dice with 1 facing up! A.)it uses up most of the 1's rolls so you get less. B .)it puts the energy directly into the highest value. And C.) it shows all ones instead of something dumb like 2 6's and an 8.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Mr. Maltose posted:

Isn't that half the Monsterhearts games that got played in the Game Room?

Really? Most of the MH games I see look more like middle-Americana things like Tollymain's game. The only exceptions would be the Game of Thrones inspired one and Ningyou's Regency England Jane Austen pastiche one. Of course, most of the character art being thrown around is pretty anime, for reasons I think I know but won't say :swoon:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's amazing how terrible all teen anime games are
:( Everyone always forgets Teenagers From Outer Space :(

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm officially recanting my position because Teenagers from Outer Space was indeed boss as hell.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Any comedy game where bad puns are a valid, potentially explosive, and possibly unintended source of damage is a good game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Elfgames posted:

Noway are you crazy? You always charge your dice with 1 facing up! A.)it uses up most of the 1's rolls so you get less. B .)it puts the energy directly into the highest value. And C.) it shows all ones instead of something dumb like 2 6's and an 8.

Wrong wrong wrong. You put the highest number up so a) the die learns what number should be showing, and b) it settles a bit, so the mass goes down to whatever face is opposite the highest number, causing it to roll that number more.

Seriously, it's like you don't even know your basic gamer physics.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

it settles a bit, so the mass goes down to whatever face is opposite the highest number, causing it to roll that number more.

Doesn't that require microwaving the dice?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Any comedy game where bad puns are a valid, potentially explosive, and possibly unintended source of damage is a good game.

Does it even need to be a comedy game?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
New Demon says no, no it does not.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Davin Valkri posted:

Of course, most of the character art being thrown around is pretty anime, for reasons I think I know but won't say :swoon:

Don't worry.

We know. :v:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Captain Foo posted:

In conclusion play anime games

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hahah. Ha.

I am laughing nervously because I have an identical dice that we call the Dice of Destiny; it pretty much only rolls 1s and 20s. It is dimly sentient, we posit. And malevolent.

Oh, so malevolent.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I would like to thank Halloween Jack for the shoutout in the Goldmined version of this thread. I only wish I looked that much a nightmarish dandy in my foppish gear.

Spincut posted:

Turns out that the two players were angry at each other for real-life reasons, but at the time I was just like, "Whaaaaat the fuuuuck this is the most awkward thing in existence."
A similar situation will always have a fond place in my heart, oddly enough. Another player and I used to argue with each other in real life all the time, and at one point in a long-running campaign (where we were playing ourselves) we found a whirling portal he was 100% convinced led to somewhere we were trying to find, and even though I suspected it did not, I agreed to hurl him into it anyway as he had no other way in.

Well, the portal led to the afterlife, and he had no way to return.

About a real-life year later, same campaign, he and I were much better friends and no longer at each other's throats at all, he is playing a different character, all is well. Our party finds a portal into the afterlife that should allow a return--of course we find him once we arrive--and without any discussion the two of us turn to face each other and start screaming about how stupid/awful the other one is for what had happened. It was the best role-playing moment ever.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Late in on the Evangelion discussion, but one of the reasons I like Rebuild is that it makes Shinji less of a failure and worthless loser, and more like the character people clamor for him to be. And the result is that things go even more badly for humanity in that version of the story than they do in the original.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Late in on the Evangelion discussion, but one of the reasons I like Rebuild is that it makes Shinji less of a failure and worthless loser, and more like the character people clamor for him to be. And the result is that things go even more badly for humanity in that version of the story than they do in the original.

Aw be fair to Original Flavour Shinji, if there's an anime protag that's had the shittiest hand imaginable dealt to him it's Shinji.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Forums Terrorist posted:

Aw be fair to Original Flavour Shinji, if there's an anime protag that's had the shittiest hand imaginable dealt to him it's Shinji.
To be fair, if there's an anime protag that deserved it, it's Shinji. He is the most hateable character in that show.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Oh for sure. I'm just saying that Rebuild Shinji having a spine has turned out to make things worse. My reactions, so far...

First Movie: "This version of Shinji actually does things, cool."

Third Moive: "SHINJI STOP DOING THINGS. JUST STOP."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Have you guys considered watching good anime instead?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Speaking of, play the Titanworld hack some time. It's simple, thematic, and a lot of fun.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mr. Maltose posted:

Have you guys considered watching good anime instead?
I am not really that into anime - I just like good shows - but Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is seriously in my top 10 series, animated or non-animated.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I watched Avatar: the last airbender on netflix last year, I thought it was pretty good. does that count as anime?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If I have to repeat that Space Pirate Captain Harlock and Galaxy Express 999 are the best animes in every monthly thread I will.

Technically the best anime is Legend of Galactic Heroes but you can't convince anyone to watch that much anime in one go.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anime-watchers would consider killing themselves before ever parting with their precious terrible anime

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Did you fools think you were free of Smilin' Sammy G?

You were wrong.

He's inside all of you.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Error 404 posted:

I watched Avatar: the last airbender on netflix last year, I thought it was pretty good. does that count as anime?
I watched it last month. I thought it was really good. Excellent within the boundaries inherent in being a kids' show.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Sammy was modeled on the face I make when I drop a PC to negative HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
If we talking anime, I will always have a place close to my heart for Haibane Renmei

:hr:

• Locked thread