Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asile
Jan 15, 2006

I created this to announce my new job as a color key artist on Rick and Morty season 2! Typical and I will be coworkers

I'm creating a piece for a Sailor Moon tribute art show at the moment, I'll post progress soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

this week's figures

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Asile posted:

I created this to announce my new job as a color key artist on Rick and Morty season 2! Typical and I will be coworkers

I'm creating a piece for a Sailor Moon tribute art show at the moment, I'll post progress soon!

Whoa! Congrats, that is really rad :)

Stroszek
Apr 3, 2007

Ceci n'est pas un paresseux

supermikhail posted:

^^^Oh. Er, half-skeleton bro.

Try using another perspective instead of dead on. You're not demonstrating your ability to make things symmetric, you're (presumably) trying to show depth of space and span. Another perspective would make lighting more interesting, and help you develop some sense of contrast to establish space. On that note, push your values.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Attempted to do a self portrait, but it came out kinda blergh in photoshop (didnt form the head correctly), so I decided to paint over it in photoshop

Gona do another one tommorow.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Asile posted:

And now there are TWO goons on Rick and Morty! Congrats. Also this should be inspiration for you folks. Asile and I met in this dailies thread 4 years ago. And Now we work on the same show. Anything is possible if you work hard enough.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Asile posted:

Nice! Congrats :)

Here's another crappy concept. Cleaned it up a bit for a change.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Imaginary Friend posted:

Nice! Congrats :)

Here's another crappy concept. Cleaned it up a bit for a change.

Have you ever seen 'Aachi and Ssipak'? You should totally go watch Aachi and Ssipak.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

mjau posted:

It looks like the sort of look you get when you ink something so it looks complete in just black and white, and then add flat-ish color in the white bits later. Although if that's what they did, they've removed some black and also redone the fleshy bits in a different style

Anyway.. i don't know what it's called, but colored black/white, maybe? Sharply shadowed something something?

If you're using chrome, you can right click and search google for similar images. On the results halfway down is "visually similar images."

Sometimes works great, sometimes not even close.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Not done, but whatever, it's daily drawings. Skelebro continues to be awesome.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

McKilligan posted:

Not done, but whatever, it's daily drawings. Skelebro continues to be awesome.

They all go into my coloringbook folder.

And big congrats to both Typical and Asile!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
This was a quickie, so it's very a bit messy, and he isn't textured right, but... Mysterio.

(I really don't like that left arm.)

EDIT: Aaand a second one, mostly practicing my shading. Look Ma, No Guidelines!

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 17, 2014

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Process shots of my last piece. Feel like a tool posting this stuff because I'm an idiot and really don't know what I'm doing. Some people might find it useful or interesting to look at.

From top left.

1. Alchemy sketch, cool program, easy to iterate quickly on silhouettes to find an initial design.
2. Further idea generation. Notes on the direction I wanted to go and reminders from the contest brief.
3. Block in the big forms and shapes. Try to keep it stylish, but grounded.
4. Detail some poo poo.
5. Apply flat colors. Throw in some graphic shadows and highlights. Call it done.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Yesterday's sketchbook stuff

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Mr. Pants
Apr 12, 2005
I am happy
I need to start drawing regularly... starting with my lame rear end cat.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

There's some crazy good stuff up in this thread!

And all I got to contribute is a do it yourself doodle from the internet.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
All I can think is, THAT'S NOT HOW PUPPETS WORK! Or rather, puppeteering, if that's a word.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

supermikhail posted:

All I can think is, THAT'S NOT HOW PUPPETS WORK! Or rather, puppeteering, if that's a word.

Yeah! This is how puppets work:

First, draw your puppet design.

Second, start manufacturing your puppets.

Third, use puppet bodies as ironman/megaman style blasters.

Fourth, finish puppets.

and finally, redo your character drawing to match the actual proportions.

So basically I'm saying if you are having character design issues, obviously make a puppet out of it and then you can draw it better. I guess Vermeer and DaVinci both used puppet technique. It's just that simple. :D

EDIT: And not related to puppets (YET!) but here's my 9th grade biology teacher from 1994. For some reason I drew him at work last weekend and just uploaded it. I'll draw something more on theme this weekend.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 18, 2014

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.
Some gently caress mothering sriracha...

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I forgot to post these here when I finished them. You can have them now, they're only a few days old.

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
This is probably my favourite piece of yours yet. It's exquisite.

Mr. Pants
Apr 12, 2005
I am happy

I have been trying to build my visual library up. When I don't have something specific I am working on I've been selecting a subject I have problems with or don't know about and doing studies. Today is women's hairstyles, specifically short hair. So I have like 4 pages of these. I have no idea if anyone else does this, or what other people do to build up that mental library so that you don't have to use reference when designing something.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

3 hr digital doodle

was gonna do more with it but eh

e: hm. wasn't there some goonmade thing that looks like this? I vaguely remember it and may have unintentionally made fanart of it.

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 19, 2014

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Started this on Monday. Really trying to improve my digital painting.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 20, 2014

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Here's a cross-post of something I literally just posted in another thread 10 seconds ago. Make of that what you will.

It looks like an Eva dong.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Dalek Cupid. :)

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Next year, the principal is making me change classrooms. This is only the third room I will have worked in in the 23 years I have been teaching. It was the art room until last year. The art room will now be in the main building, so we are not losing art, like so many schools these days. In any event, it seems that the room should still have some art, so I decided to create some more. Here's what I have so far. Not much, but I fit in art around my "real" preparing for school...

(Crappy cell phone pix)

I got some of those chipboard letters from Michael's

I'm doing a multimedia piece about astronomy and space exploration. The Voyager probe will be part of it. Here is the WIP. Acrylic on art paper.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Why in the name of the gently caress can't I hold to a schedule? At least I've been fairly happy with what I've done.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Some consolidated mechano doodles with bonus scanner shadow!

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014

CloseFriend posted:

Why in the name of the gently caress can't I hold to a schedule? At least I've been fairly happy with what I've done.

that's pretty racist

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Almost everything there looks pretty icka. :downsrim:

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

raspy trashfucker posted:

that's pretty racist
On the off-chance that you're not trolling me, here's the original image…

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

A friend of mine asked me to draw her. My hand slipped in all the worst places a hand can slip, but I think the final result could've been worse.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Was it the friend zone :ohdear: ?

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014

CloseFriend posted:

On the off-chance that you're not trolling me, here's the original image…

it was still racist to draw him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

donJonSwan posted:

Some quick line-art and graphic coloring on top of an even quicker ZBrush sculpt. Lots of fun, great way to work on both draftsmanship and 3D at the same time.

Cool poo poo. Did you do this after watching this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmS3qB_lXwU

• Locked thread