Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Something to consider re: the ATP is with the new FAA rules that take effect on 1 Aug, getting your ATP is now less $3K/weekend checkride and more like $10K+ worth of a mandatory non-waivable CTP course required before you can take the written, including 30 hours of ground school and a minimum of 10 hrs in a sim.

So unless you have plans to knock our your written in the next month, I'd increase the value of a USAF provided ATP considerably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I love my Kindle Paperwhite. Best money I spent in a long while.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

The reason I bought my Kindle was because it fit perfectly in the leg pocket.

B-b-but.... EMSEC! :qq:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You joke, but that was an actual issue for a while. There were multiple FCIFs/ORFs. The approved list hadn't been updated in so long there was poo poo like cassette players on it.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Rekinom posted:

650 hrs in 6 months is ok I guess, but it's not going to really make a difference unless you are seriously low time when you get out. Like, if you were going to VSP and get out 3 months after the deployment and it put you at like 3000 hours, then yes, go do the deployment. But if you're not getting out for years and years, you'll probably get to 3000+ regardless, so you're just rushing for no reason. The type rating is pretty much only useful if you plan on doing corporate flying. Airlines won't really care that you have a GLEX type. The ATPL is nice, but then again I'm the kind of person who will pay 3k and just take a weekend checkride rather than go be deployed for 6 drat months to get it.

That said, if I lived in Enid, was single, had nothing better to do, and hadn't been deployed in like 1.5-2 years I'd probably just do it to bank the extra cash.

I have about 1800TT (including student time) but only about ~500 of that is TPIC. I'd like to get to that magic 1000 TPIC number as fast as possible. I spoke a little about it and they said there are a lot of high time guys so not sure I'd be getting the A code on flights, which was not good news. The GLEX type rating is for opening doors mostly, I don't have my mind set on going airlines - if you get in with a corporations flight department, it's not a bad life.

I am going to take my ATP written later this month, I've been putting it off longer then I should.

Also you raise valid points on your last paragraph.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If your unit isn't putting you in the left seat to get you those hours, particularly when you've got high-hour guys in the crew to back you up, then what the gently caress.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

buddy got an LOA and is desperately trying to avoid a UIF because of he-said she-said bullshit and even the leadership went all "well we know he probably didn't say it but it's about the perception"

he was making fun of how doing the duck walk in physical therapy makes you look like you have to take a poo poo and the girl thought he said "looks like someone got raped in the bathroom"

lol

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Air Force is stupid

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Godholio posted:

If your unit isn't putting you in the left seat to get you those hours, particularly when you've got high-hour guys in the crew to back you up, then what the gently caress.

Right now I'm an instructor so I'm logging all multi engine turbine instructor time, I don't know anything about the E-11A unit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's fine, but there's no reason to do it differently when deployed. You still have to take care of your people, and that includes aircrew progression.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Godholio posted:

That's fine, but there's no reason to do it differently when deployed. You still have to take care of your people, and that includes aircrew progression.

It's not the job of the BACN unit to foster aircrew progression, it's their job to fly an operational deployed mission. The senior guy should get the A code, which is what xaar is looking for. Left seat time don't mean poo poo for turbine PIC.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

buddy got an LOA and is desperately trying to avoid a UIF because of he-said she-said bullshit and even the leadership went all "well we know he probably didn't say it but it's about the perception"

he was making fun of how doing the duck walk in physical therapy makes you look like you have to take a poo poo and the girl thought he said "looks like someone got raped in the bathroom"

lol

He is a complete doormat if he doesn't take that to an IG or a court martial or whatever. If nobody can prove he did it, it didn't happen. If I was him, I'd throw the leadership under the bus for a false accusation too.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Rekinom posted:

He is a complete doormat if he doesn't take that to an IG or a court martial or whatever. If nobody can prove he did it, it didn't happen. If I was him, I'd throw the leadership under the bus for a false accusation too.

Yeah if he didn't a) immediately go to the ADC after getting hit with the LOA, b) write a scathing rebuttal, and c) go to the IG if they left the LOA in his records after his rebuttal, he's a loving idiot that deserves his UIF.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Rekinom posted:

It's not the job of the BACN unit to foster aircrew progression, it's their job to fly an operational deployed mission.

That's a Winterfresh-quality copout for poor leadership. I'm familiar with BACN, and there's zero reason you can't do both. Operationally or regulatory.

quote:

Left seat time don't mean poo poo for turbine PIC.
I'll defer on that, but it seems strange.

quote:

Aaaand agreed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rekinom posted:

There was a TSgt witness who completely buddy hosed him by making statements like "I'm 80% sure he said that, and I'm 90% sure I counseled him for it"

But yeah he's made plenty of trips to the ADC

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rekinom posted:

It's not the job of the BACN unit to foster aircrew progression, it's their job to fly an operational deployed mission. The senior guy should get the A code, which is what xaar is looking for. Left seat time don't mean poo poo for turbine PIC.

please lets not justify lovely work enviroments

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

"I'm 90% sure I counseled him for it"

lol if he seriously said this in a formal setting, and double lol if the ADC who is involved didn't immediately start laughing and tell everyone to get the gently caress out if the proof of a counseling is "yeah I think I did it once upon a time but I don't actually have any written documentation."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If it ain't written down with his loving signature on it, it didn't happen. Jesus Christ.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Cutting 2-4 lines a day would solve many of the problems in the squadron. Shop heads are unable to get office days to prepare for TDYs, Mx can't get the lines, everyone's min crew rest, routine double-scheduling, scheduler-of-the-days are flying etc. Fewer lines mean less funding for the next fiscal year due to rules from high up, so leadership doesn't want to do it.

Anyone willing to review OPR bullets with me? PM

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 5, 2014

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Godholio posted:

I'll defer on that, but it seems strange.

In the Air Force, unlike the airlines, the A code doesn't always sit in the left seat (or potentially any seat if the crew is augmented. )

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Dominoes posted:

Cutting 2-4 lines a day would solve many of the problems in the squadron. Shop heads are unable to get office days to prepare for TDYs, Mx can't get the lines, everyone's min crew rest, routine double-scheduling, scheduler-of-the-days are flying etc. Fewer lines mean less funding for the next fiscal year due to rules from high up, so leadership doesn't want to do it.

Yeah we're pretty much killing ourselves with flying hours, and mx and ops are handcuffed together in a no-win situation where neither of us can volunteer to do less so we both have to volunteer to do more. The worst thing is that the only way to fix this problem is to fire all the people for whom this lovely system makes sense and then we'd have no HQ staff left!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

xaarman posted:

In the Air Force, unlike the airlines, the A code doesn't always sit in the left seat (or potentially any seat if the crew is augmented. )

That explains a lot.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
How much worse is the airforce after a year of being out?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Well they brought back TA and certain friday patches. On the other hand, AFPC hasn't been shut down and lined up against a wall with blindfolds, so I'm going with "still poo poo."

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Godholio posted:

Well they brought back TA and certain friday patches. On the other hand, AFPC hasn't been shut down and lined up against a wall with blindfolds, so I'm going with "still poo poo."

This is why you go around AFPC and find your own god drat assignment before they gently caress it up. :colbert: (if you seriously didn't know you could do this, ask me in a PM or something).

Side note: Is it true that EQUAL-Plus listings are actually selected from AFPC and the gaining unit has no say and who gets set there from the list of whoever applied? If that's the case, why the gently caress even have it or allow units to post them with requirements? :catstare:

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 5, 2014

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

whatspeakyou posted:

Side note: Is it true that EQUAL-Plus listings are actually selected from AFPC and the gaining unit has no say and who gets set there from the list of whoever applied? If that's the case, why the gently caress even have it or allow units to post them with requirements? :catstare:

:negative: its so stupid that it must be true

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

whatspeakyou posted:

This is why you go around AFPC and find your own god drat assignment before they gently caress it up. :colbert: (if you seriously didn't know you could do this, ask me in a PM or something).

He's not talking about assignments, he's talking about the poo poo-show that has been the latest round of force management programs.

If you haven't been following, among the many many cluster-fucks were people getting notified that they'd been approved for TERA...and then getting an "oops, just kidding, you're actually not free to retire" email a couple days later. That is a thing that really happened. At least the AF was pretty quick about declaring that anyone who got initially notified would be allowed to retire, but jesus christ, how do you gently caress something like that up.

EQUAL-Plus listings are (afaik) chosen by AFPC...but like you said the unit can include requirements when they send the vacancy to AFPC. So at least in theory, it's not like AFPC is just picking darts from the idiots who applied, in theory whoever AFPC selects should at least meet the minimum requirements set by the unit with the vacancy.

Of course in theory AFPC should be a competent well functioning organization.

PicnicBasket
Mar 21, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

Of course in theory AFPC should be a competent well functioning organization.

If that much were true, they'd at least be capable of not loving up some things. Whoever is responsible for AFPC must have given it to us as a giant "gently caress you"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We had a SAV a few weeks ago. Instead of the kind of questions you'd think they'd be asking they were asking about morale, and if we knew the wing's mission statement. It was odd.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Dominoes posted:

Welcome to the 7 stages of being a flyer. Right now you're somewhere between anger and bargaining.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I meant to ask, how would everyone's RAP/currency/etc look if they cut that many lines? I suspect not good. We sent in hundreds of RAP waivers every year, and that was before the 10% hours cut became an annual occurrence.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Godholio posted:

I meant to ask, how would everyone's RAP/currency/etc look if they cut that many lines? I suspect not good. We sent in hundreds of RAP waivers every year, and that was before the 10% hours cut became an annual occurrence.
RAP/CMR's part of the problem. That said, filling lines is usually the limfac, not RAP. RAP's more of an issue for guys at the OG/wing level, or if there's an exercise/TDY.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 6, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Shocking.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Feels good to be out.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Feels good to be out.

Feels drunk to be in.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

It's a weird reminder to see the different mindsets of military pilots vs non military pilots, re:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3541387&perpage=40&pagenumber=86#post431822954

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

xaarman posted:

It's a weird reminder to see the different mindsets of military pilots vs non military pilots, re:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3541387&perpage=40&pagenumber=86#post431822954

If you get a contract job with 650 hrs in type mostly SIC then you will have successfully hacked the matrix and I tip my hat to you.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Air Force is gay, pilots are gay, you're all gay, let's drink some soju.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Casimir Radon posted:

We had a SAV a few weeks ago. Instead of the kind of questions you'd think they'd be asking they were asking about morale, and if we knew the wing's mission statement. It was odd.

One of my friends got SAVed in June and written up for things like "why has this program that was created in November 2013 not had the mandatory annual inspection yet?" on three separate programs. One of the SMSgt inspectors was told by the O-6 commander that she was no longer able to come back to GK because she repeatedly harrassed airmen for disrespecting her by sitting down when she told them to show her things on their computers. Air Force.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wild T posted:

One of my friends got SAVed in June and written up for things like "why has this program that was created in November 2013 not had the mandatory annual inspection yet?" on three separate programs. One of the SMSgt inspectors was told by the O-6 commander that she was no longer able to come back to GK because she repeatedly harrassed airmen for disrespecting her by sitting down when she told them to show her things on their computers. Air Force.

thank you for reminding me that at least i don't have a MSgt that lovely running around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Wild T posted:

That SMSgt's head probably exploded when she saw how every other military involved with NATO AWACS did things.

I don't think I saw any of the Italians do one bit of work when they were at Elmo for a RF-A, and they comprised like a quarter of the mx package.

Which comprised like a total of 12 people, because who needs to do crazy things like fix broken planes when you're in Alaska in the summertime? Besides AWACS never breaks.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 10, 2014

• Locked thread