Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Larry Parrish posted:

pray for iraq 3

Operation EXTENDED WARRANTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cenen posted:

I guess he had like 6 LORs in a four month period.

That's not too hard. A couple of missed appointments, show up late to work, fall asleep in the shitter, gently caress up your CDCs, etc.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^ I know a guy who got 7 IVs during plain-Jane SV-80 SERE. He cried in the commandant's office and didn't get washed out. He also almost started a fire by using tupperware in the E-3 oven ("It says its microwave safe!"), got commander downgraded for almost putting two airplanes together, and finally got RIF'd after drawing his M9 during a disagreement with a SNCO in the desert.

Former AWACS wing commander getting nominated for a 4th star and PACAF/CC. She was a good one.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 3, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's probably because she has about as many hours on the jet as I do. She's definitely a career officer vs a career ABM. Great OG and WG/CC though. I hope she keeps climbing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I hate to be in the position of defending a general and patch wearer, but she's good people. The only wing commander we had at Tinker that was actually honest, even when the news was bad. Damned smart, personable, an actual leader capable of motivating people...basically what every AF O-6 and above thinks they are.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 3, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BACN seemed like a pretty sweet gig, honestly.

Edit: Bring a stack of books or load up an ereader. You're gonna spend about 600 of those hours using it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'd volunteer for a 365 to get out of Enid. I almost did it to get out of OKC.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The reason I bought my Kindle was because it fit perfectly in the leg pocket.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You joke, but that was an actual issue for a while. There were multiple FCIFs/ORFs. The approved list hadn't been updated in so long there was poo poo like cassette players on it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If your unit isn't putting you in the left seat to get you those hours, particularly when you've got high-hour guys in the crew to back you up, then what the gently caress.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's fine, but there's no reason to do it differently when deployed. You still have to take care of your people, and that includes aircrew progression.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Rekinom posted:

It's not the job of the BACN unit to foster aircrew progression, it's their job to fly an operational deployed mission.

That's a Winterfresh-quality copout for poor leadership. I'm familiar with BACN, and there's zero reason you can't do both. Operationally or regulatory.

quote:

Left seat time don't mean poo poo for turbine PIC.
I'll defer on that, but it seems strange.

quote:

He is a complete doormat if he doesn't take that to an IG or a court martial or whatever. If nobody can prove he did it, it didn't happen. If I was him, I'd throw the leadership under the bus for a false accusation too.

Aaaand agreed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If it ain't written down with his loving signature on it, it didn't happen. Jesus Christ.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

xaarman posted:

In the Air Force, unlike the airlines, the A code doesn't always sit in the left seat (or potentially any seat if the crew is augmented. )

That explains a lot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Well they brought back TA and certain friday patches. On the other hand, AFPC hasn't been shut down and lined up against a wall with blindfolds, so I'm going with "still poo poo."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I meant to ask, how would everyone's RAP/currency/etc look if they cut that many lines? I suspect not good. We sent in hundreds of RAP waivers every year, and that was before the 10% hours cut became an annual occurrence.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Shocking.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Ask for the policy letter where the SQ/CC is canceling leave. He's the only one who can do that.

Bingo. Sounds like you work for a future CSAF though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Unless things have changed, the "under 31" rule doesn't apply if you have ATC experience in the military. I know of one person who was over 40 when hired on, but that was several years ago. I don't know if there's a min age or not.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you get out without A-owing the AF any money or B-the AF owing you any money, call it a win.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Why the gently caress is everyone calling it the Buk? Putin hasn't conquered the world yet, you commie shits. It's an SA-11.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's a luck thing. I guess for once there's a good thing to come from finance being completely gutted.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TTPs for similar aircraft flying similar missions are as similar as you'd expect. There are absolutely joint exercises...I don't think any of my Red Flags had zero naval representation.

The Weapons School emphasizes Air Force assets because the AF will almost always have the preponderance of air assets. The Navy and Marines combined were a drop in the ATO bucket for OEF and OIF. They might own the show initially but eventually the US will get basing capability in the area and almost immediately outnumber the Navy's assets even with two carriers in the area.

Also, for most missions the AF has the more specialization. F-15s and F-22s will fly point before the 18s. For Day 1 strikes you're looking at bombers, not Hornets. SOF insertion? Probably the AF again. Tankers? AF. C2? One E-3 can handle the AOR of 2-3 E-2s as a pick-up mission.

Now, who is going to be the best qualified to plan those out? Navy planners, who probably only work with AF assets 2-3 days per year (not counting tankers), or up to 3 weeks if they attend a major exercise? Or the AF guys who do it all the time? Also an AF general will be the JFACC as soon as the AF outnumbers the Navy, so there's that.

Likewise, Navy exercises and NSAWC focus on naval assets.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 23, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

I get that. I guess what I was trying to say is that specifically in papers that deal with integration with Navy assets, a lot of what they are talking about isn't correct.

Ah. Honestly, from what I've seen in the 8th WPS (the C2 squadron of the Weapons School) the trend has finally caught on to send decent human beings who genuinely want to get this poo poo right and aren't afraid to learn. Try emailing them. If any of the wrong stuff was written by a C2 dude you can run the name by me...I know a lot of the guys who've gone through in the past couple of years. Hell, I instructed half of them, which is probably why they're getting poo poo wrong.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

I'll have to go back and look, but in general it's lots of small stuff spread out across squadrons and papers. The one I saw today that got me thinking about it was from a 15E guy, so I realize that he's kind of out of his element when he's talking about battle space management. Also, I doubt there is any resident USN knowledge out there at the Weapons School so it's probably just guys fumbling around through whatever pubs they can dig up on SIPR.

Truly I was just curious how much they teach you guys about how the Navy works given how many eggs are getting put in the Air-Sea Battle basket. I know from my side of the house, we get exactly zero training on how the Air Force does business, but the SWO community in general doesn't even pretend to try and teach real jointness until the senior O4, junior O5 level.

I can only speak to my career field, really, but it's not terribly in-depth. We'd get tactical-level stuff, what we need to know for the mission in question, and some generalities. IE, F-18 intercept timeline, their comm priorities, that kind of thing. Legit joint ops stuff is touched on in PME a little, but again, nothing in depth (it's a waste of time in that environment, anyway). The good stuff comes from actually talking to people from the other services and working with them overseas or in exercises. Although we used to send instructors to the NSAWC course, and they would be the resident experts on naval ops. But we're talking...maybe 3 or 4 people out of five squadrons. A couple of WTI grads, too. I don't recall any Navy folks at the WS any of the times I was there...it seems odd now that I think about it, because AF people teach at NSAWC. I know one that's there now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You've got the stink of both airframes on you. Don't try to hide it.

But yeah, I only did AWACS. However, the CRC (ground radar) guys bounce back and forth. A CRC is usually your second assignment after flying for a few years, then you get hosed and go back to Tinker.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There's a bit of red-headed stepchild syndrome, probably because ABM used to be where they reclassed fighter pilot washouts and there was a generation of rear end in a top hat Weapons School grads who liked pretending to be/imitating the annoying poo poo about fighter pilots.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You'll note that the two chill ABMs we've got here both got out. That's the tendency, and the poo poo attitude and good-old-boys bullshit was that generation of rear end in a top hat patches hooking up like-minded fuckwits. ABM patch with THREE loving DUIS on active duty made Lt Col! Give me a loving break. That group is all but gone now, I think they only have one or two left and they've probably topped out at O-5.

One of my favorite BS "moments" was at a Green Flag at Nellis. This was around 2009 or whatever, when the entire fleet was grounded because someone decided that Jeppesen plates or TOLD data or something was no good under certain conditions that apparently hadn't come up in thirty loving years. Naturally it was like 4pm on a Friday when they flipped the switch, so there was almost nobody working on the problem over the weekend. It took several days to get poo poo sorted, but our MCC (who fancied herself friends with Lori Robinson, the WG/CC at the time) was expecting a one-time waiver to fly home or a solution. So we went into crew rest at 7pm every night in anticipation of a green light to fly the exercise sortie and land back home. Naturally, that didn't happen and we didn't fly a single loving sortie for the exercise, nor did we get to go out after dark the whole time.

She's the only MCC I ever saw kick an AWO to the back of the jet. In the middle of one of the busiest OEF sorties I'd ever been on. He disagreed with her on something, and he was actually right. She also made the announcement that there's only one true ABM on the jet, and that's the MCC. And I'm pretty sure she had to sew two flight suits together to get it to fit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Rekinom posted:

drat dude, you really do have a hard time letting go of the pain from your past life.

It gave me PTSD.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

Since I've been on a grand high ripping on blue squares for being a writer, I'm reminded of the AWO in my squadron back in Alaska who actually published a book. It was some lovely sci-fi novel. What made it stand out is that he wrote another AWO's wife into the novel and had the main character (him) gently caress her a bunch of times. Godholio, you might know the guy.

:laffo: I need a name. I know most of the AWOs up there in that timeframe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ending on a high note, gentlemen. o7

• Locked thread