Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

This would be more appropriate if I was on active duty rolling in around 9:30 but, way to leave it to the Goat Locker to do your job. I am sure we had some underused Corpsmen, disgruntled SWOs, or other fellow intel weenie to do it. Anyway, got to finish my coffee and try not to screw up my summer session mid-terms today and tomorrow. Turn to and have a fine Navy day!

Also, below are the list of acceptable nobles, more will be added.

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

I move to add this noble in to the group:

Also lol getting inspected by the MED IG and Joint Commission, too loving hilarious watching everyone run around.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
We had MCPON visit our base the other day. It was all hands, so naturally I didn't go. My only regret is not getting to hear the stupid questions people asked.

edit: am I doing this right?

Sir Lucius fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 1, 2014

Boggers
Apr 15, 2010
Another more dubious anniversary - the US Navy banned alcohol 100 years ago today:

http://news.usni.org/2014/07/01/hundred-years-dry-u-s-navys-end-alcohol-sea

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thanks, Joe!

In case you hadn't heard, that's also the origin of the term "cup of joe" for cup of coffee.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also want to nominate John S. McCain Sr for cool noble. His family had a long history of attending West Point. He was afraid he wouldn't make it so took the exams for Annapolis as preps. When he got accepted there he said gently caress it and became a sailor. His career is filled with tales of how he was the man to emulate on the job, but be warned if you ever were with him off the clock. He was a sailor to the T and spent his liberty time in the appropriate fashion. During WWII they needed more men to command air squadrons at sea, so he left his surface job and got his wings. To this day he's the oldest and most senior person to pass flight training. He continued his hard drinking, partying, and loving up japs until the end of the war. Here he is with his son, the other admiral McCain. This is the last time they saw each other as Sr died shortly after.

Boggers
Apr 15, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thanks, Joe!

In case you hadn't heard, that's also the origin of the term "cup of joe" for cup of coffee.

According to the article, this is actually a myth.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Boggers posted:

But I saw it on AFN and AFN wouldn't lie to me, would they?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boggers posted:

They say it is probably and then offer an alternative with no evidence to support either. A cup of joe with be Daniels lasting legacy regardless of truth.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
So I applied for my G.I.Bill Benefits today, because I figured that giving the VA a 2 year "Heads up guys" to get my poo poo straightened out would be more then ample time for this to get back to me.

I'm hearing more and more about how the VA is absolutely horrible at processing ANYTHING, so here's hoping this takes a relatively shorter time then it would for my chit to get routed up.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TrialbyStone posted:

So I applied for my G.I.Bill Benefits today, because I figured that giving the VA a 2 year "Heads up guys" to get my poo poo straightened out would be more then ample time for this to get back to me.

I'm hearing more and more about how the VA is absolutely horrible at processing ANYTHING, so here's hoping this takes a relatively shorter time then it would for my chit to get routed up.

Oh poo poo, I just became eligible in March... I better do this now or I'm hosed (one year and a half from now)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just signed my contract for IT and I ship on November 13th for sunny Great Lakes! Just ask the oldest boot you ever seen if he has stairs in his house.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
How old are you and what are you coming in as (e-1,2,or 3)? There's this 32 year old e-1 in my class now and I have to wonder how hosed your life is if you join at that age at the lowest rank possible.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m47wk_Lu9fI

Please add to OP

Edit: Or this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eN3fxzn0ro

DustyNuts fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 2, 2014

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

LingcodKilla posted:

Just signed my contract for IT and I ship on November 13th for sunny Great Lakes! Just ask the oldest boot you ever seen if he has stairs in his house.

You're going to be a reservist, right?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

poopkitty posted:

You're going to be a reservist, right?

Yes, yes I am. Going in as an E3 at the tender age of 37.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

LingcodKilla posted:

:stare:

where did it all go wrong...

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

LingcodKilla posted:

LOL. I'll retire at a very young 38.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Gotta get the 8 kids on tricare

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

genderstomper58 posted:

:stare:

where did it all go wrong...

When graduated from police academy 8 years ago and I couldn't get hired because a shitbird army guy I though was a friend back stabbed me ( over not helping bang some sleaze) during backgrounds for almost three years before I figured out what was going on. Been stuck doing a job that pays the bills but has zero growth. I can't afford to quit and look for a new job because the twins came along a few years back.

Anyways after a bit a research and a lot of talking with people it would appear that the fastest and least expensive way to get retrained for an IT job is doing in through the reserve. Getting a security clearance is pretty huge in the Bay Area job market.

With my house almost being payed off being deployed with BAH is pretty sweet.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

That is a god drat horror movie.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

When graduated from police academy 8 years ago and I couldn't get hired because a shitbird army guy I though was a friend back stabbed me ( over not helping bang some sleaze) during backgrounds for almost three years before I figured out what was going on. Been stuck doing a job that pays the bills but has zero growth. I can't afford to quit and look for a new job because the twins came along a few years back.

Anyways after a bit a research and a lot of talking with people it would appear that the fastest and least expensive way to get retrained for an IT job is doing in through the reserve. Getting a security clearance is pretty huge in the Bay Area job market.

With my house almost being payed off being deployed with BAH is pretty sweet.

So how many army years do you have going in? How much do you have left until retirement?

I have a good friend of mine that's going to be 30-31 in boot camp soon.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Just turn your brain off for boot camp. I mean poo poo, I thought I was old when I shipped out, but you're going to be something special.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Sir Lucius posted:

Just turn your brain off for boot camp. I mean poo poo, I thought I was old when I shipped out, but you're going to be something special.

the DI's are gonna have brain embolisms calculating his grading scales for his PFT/PRT results.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

tuluk posted:

the DI's are gonna have brain embolisms calculating his grading scales for his PFT/PRT results.

I wouldn't be surprised. For a lot of people in the Navy, opening up the regs that govern things to actually read them is a real chore and they'd prefer listening to idiots instead of reading. At least for PRTs it is just a page that has a table on it.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
We have a reservist who is really close to 40 in class. Cool dude. Just ancient.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Laranzu posted:

We have a reservist who is really close to 40 in class. Cool dude. Just ancient.

Jesus dude I thought he was closer to 30. My age-dar is all off

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

So how many army years do you have going in? How much do you have left until retirement?

I have a good friend of mine that's going to be 30-31 in boot camp soon.

It's an eight year contract and I'm fairly sure I'm not going to resign but you never know.

I have a pretty drat physical job right now and I had planned to be a cop into my late 50s (barring injury). I'm at the max/lowest PRT scores due to my age and it's a joke. 15 minute mile and half, 27 push-ups and 47 sit-ups?

I've been trying to talk to fellows who have gone through boot as old I me and it's been pretty insightful. I'm in for interesting experience.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Welcome back to high school.

Edit: not meant to be snarky. I mean you'll be the literal adult in the room around a bunch of children who are on their first summer (in november) camp away from mommy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It will be like freaky Friday except ill e stuck in the same old body!

gently caress.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

It will be like freaky Friday except ill e stuck in the same old body!

gently caress.

We had a 35 year old in with us back in 2006. The RDCs will talk some poo poo to you, but for the most part they'll have plenty of dumbfuck 18 year olds to single out and you'll mostly get left alone.

Necrocult
Oct 18, 2010

Form Fitting
I had a 40 year old dude from Taiwan in my boot division. Motherfucker could run like the wind so all the rdc's did was talk poo poo about the rest of us because that dude was beast at everything. It was embarrassing.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

My RDCs would get pissy at us and our brother division because we'd workout when they weren't around. Chief walked in while we were taking turns holding the racks like benches, so he'd beat us and then laugh because it's what we wanted. Eventually they brought in other RDCs to beat us but they'd get bored so eventually our punishment became staring at the walls and pillars in complete silence. My buddy Zach would stand up during chow and steal the peanut butter off of the tables of other divisions and our Chiefs would laugh their asses off because the other recruits would be confused as hell as to what was going on. Kinda miss it.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Whenever our 34 year old dude would start getting beat we'd all take turns yelling "Don't hurt grandpa!"

This got all of us in trouble repeatedly but it was clearly worth it because the alternative was being bored.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I want to nominate the phantom shitter, making GBS threads everywhere always and no one knows who he is. An unnamed hero.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I want to nominate the phantom shitter, making GBS threads everywhere always and no one knows who he is. An unnamed hero.

Did he leave poo poo in soap boxes in your shower? Those were the best :allears:

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

orange juche posted:

Did he leave poo poo in soap boxes in your shower? Those were the best :allears:

Berthing 3's showers up in the angle irons above head height.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Also no one cares about your boot stories. The best stories are about mentally disabled CSs who get tricked into thinking loving a hooker's thighs was how sex is actually performed.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Also no one cares about your boot stories. The best stories are about mentally disabled CSs who get tricked into thinking loving a hooker's thighs was how sex is actually performed.
How else are you supposed to do it with her drat dick in the way? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Carlson was the best. There's also the time that all the CSes and cranks talked him into letting the biggest motherfucker in the kitchen punch him in the nuts for $50 and then everyone welched on the deal. He didn't rat people out, though. He went to doc saying his stomach hurt and HMC basically grilled him until they found out that he got hit in the nuts by someone. Everyone in the galley basically rolled on everyone else.

Mad Dragon posted:

How else are you supposed to do it with her drat dick in the way? :v:

This was actually a woman whore in Japan down in the honch. He was dropping hundreds a week there and she was just throwing some lube on her thighs and having him gently caress that. He didn't know any better and thought that was sex. Like I said, he was a special guy.

• Locked thread