Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Tavarin posted:

It's a story told by someone who is drunk. Why would you expect it to be super accurate?

Super accurate != implying the exact opposite of someone's defining trait in their legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Midnight City posted:

Uh, plenty of people probably care and there's really no reason they couldn't or even shouldn't have put at the end "oh by the way Schmelling was actively working against Hitler the whole time" and had Weird Al make a funny face about being betrayed or something.

Risking your life doing the right thing and then having a major television channel implying you were a nazi is a lovely thing to do, not sure why this needs explained.

Either way that isn't really relevant to the story at all, and I'm not going to go rewatch it to find out but I'm pretty sure they didn't call him a nazi, just a german dude who was a boxer that the government co-opted as a national symbol, who had his rear end beat by the boxer the US co-opted as a national symbol. If they outright said the dude was a nazi then yeah I guess that would be a bit hosed up, but even then I can't really find it in myself to get worked up about it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They didn't imply schmelling was a Nazi, just German.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Someone being literally drunk IRL when telling a story is probably the easiest and clearest way to establish that they're an unreliable narrator.

Also, yes, no one in the episode says that Schmelling was a Nazi, just that the two boxers were co-opted by their respective countries as symbols of their conflict in the form of a boxing match.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 5, 2014

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Midnight City posted:

Super accurate != implying the exact opposite of someone's defining trait in their legacy.

It's a comedy Central show. Are you his grandson or something?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

the girl playing Claudette Colvin was incredible and I hope she becomes a recurring cast member and Jordan Peele was incredible.

edit-
Morgan Murphy, the storyteller for Lewis v Schmeling was probably my least favorite drunk ever. she seems like she'd forget to mention that Schmeling did anything positive even if she was sober.

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 6, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

timp posted:

Huh...I'd never heard that story before.

Not a lot of people have. The Charleston Museum/Historic Charleston Foundation folks and their predecessors did a good job making sure of that.

They put a statue of him in a park next to the Citadel a few months back and it royally pissed off the white people there.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Bewildrbeast posted:

edit-
Morgan Murphy, the storyteller for Lewis v Schmeling was probably my least favorite drunk ever. she seems like she'd forget to mention that Schmeling did anything positive even if she was sober.

The story wasn't about schmeling so she doesn't have to go into anything positive he did. Also drunk.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Maybe I'm an unreliable narrator because I'm from Europe where history is from, but I don't automatically assume every German during world war 2 was a Nazi.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Don't eat Play-Doh Smurf dicks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The stuff with how crappy the statue effects were was pretty great.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Flaps him in the neck.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of weird that they had two different people play Pulitzer.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I love it when the storyteller's pets make it into the story, it's always magical.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Gif request: Hey. Blah blah. I got it.
(If it looks like poo poo, feel free to ignore it.)

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
Why isn't Drunk History on Hulu anymore? Its really bumming me out that I can't watch it.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
It's still on Amazon prime.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Gif request: Hey. Blah blah. I got it.
(If it looks like poo poo, feel free to ignore it.)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PopRocks posted:

Why isn't Drunk History on Hulu anymore? Its really bumming me out that I can't watch it.

Hulu is weird and sometimes has CC episodes ~30 days after the original air date. Might be the case this season but maybe not.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
That's a hell of a way to start the show.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Cracking up at the drunk rapping, oh my god

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Seeing Urkel caught me more off-guard than Weird Al as Hitler

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

neckbeard posted:

Seeing Urkel caught me more off-guard than Weird Al as Hitler

Haha, watching it DVRed and I just got to that part too.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

SgtSteel91 posted:

Cracking up at the drunk rapping, oh my god
"Yeah I can rap! Give me a beat!"

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
My absolute favorite moment from the entire series (at 2:04):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=d7UxQ9Z1wR8#t=124

The entire supporting cast is really consistently funny. I always recognize them but I don't actually know any of their names!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

This guy is in like every episode at least once, his name is Craig Cackowski and he's an amazing improv guy / comedic actor / voice actor and also just a super nice guy.

He and this frequent drunkard...

(Mark Gagliardi, also super talented and a very nice person)

along with Paget Brewster, who's getting drunk next week...

can all be seen monthly and heard weekly together in The Thrilling Adventure Hour.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Annakie posted:

along with Paget Brewster, who's getting drunk next week...

She's the strangest one for me. Did she get her start in stand up comedy or something? The only place I remember seeing her before this was on Criminal Minds. So it was really bizarre when she showed up last season on Drunk History.

Like, everyone else I recognize telling the drunk stories are stand up comedians. And then, BAM, Agent Prentiss, last seen serial killer hunter, getting drunk and showing off her shoe collection.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

thrawn527 posted:

She's the strangest one for me. Did she get her start in stand up comedy or something? The only place I remember seeing her before this was on Criminal Minds. So it was really bizarre when she showed up last season on Drunk History.

Like, everyone else I recognize telling the drunk stories are stand up comedians. And then, BAM, Agent Prentiss, last seen serial killer hunter, getting drunk and showing off her shoe collection.

Looks like someone didn't see Andy Richter Controls the Universe.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Tavarin posted:

Looks like someone didn't see Andy Richter Controls the Universe.

Well, to be fair, a lot of someones didn't see Andy Richter Controls the Universe.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

thrawn527 posted:

Well, to be fair, a lot of someones didn't see Andy Richter Controls the Universe.

Too true. :smith:

She seems to be a person who splits time between drama and comedy. She's especially good on the Thrilling Adventure Hour.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Tavarin posted:

Too true. :smith:

She seems to be a person who splits time between drama and comedy. She's especially good on the Thrilling Adventure Hour.

Don't forget that she was also BIRDGIRL!!! in the later seasons of Harvey Birdman, Attorney At Law.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"Holographic Piece of poo poo"

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
"Gonna punch you in the balls with this story!"
And we're already off to a great start :allears:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This story rules already.

MOTH

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
MOTH!

edit: poptart hat

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Sorry stovepipe. Gotta go icognito.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
But to himself because he's undercover

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Drunk History: MOTH

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
MOTH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound