Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
^^^drat, you beat me by a minute, but any chance I could convince you to take an SMG/tank hunter platoon? :ohdear:

TOVARISHCH COMARADES, reporting in. I signed up for an infantry platoon but I'm one of them types that's content wherever, really.

oh wait one of the platoons has flamethrowers attached?

1STCOMPANY, 3RD PLATOON SO HARD oh god oh god im close. yeah, baby. yeahhhh.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Put it this way: according to the Law of The Jungle, subsection III paragraph twelve, acebuckeye gets right of first refusal on that last rifle and flamethrower platoon and if not I'll take the first available SMG tank hunter platoon. And a remedial lesson on how to use tank hunter platoons in Combat Mission too since I've always been hot garbage at using them even in Barbarossa to Berlin.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

The Merry Marauder posted:

Not terribly. But if they're firing smoke missions, they're not harassing our fording process.

I'd personally urge a double mortar smoke mission timed so we can rush mounted across our primary ford. SMG infantry who wants to desant (hang on the loving tanks) welcome.

Okay cool, working on a post riffing off of Asehujiko's map (good work, btw!) and was gonna broach this because getting the SMG and AT infantry off the field and into the town or the german lines ASAP is going to be pretty freakin crucial.

If anything, could the rifle platoons consider detaching a scout to move into the town if we don't have a rifle platoon entering? Or at least find some good elevation local to the fighting to slap them on? Good recon as the situation develops past the second turn is going to change a lot about anything we're thinking right now.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 2, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Asehujiko posted:

I made a quick sketch of how I see the situation:

This is a good map! Some thoughts:

--There are three basic scenarios for the Hitlerite sneak attack and all of them favor a limited screening force as we move on the town (especially as dublish says, forest fortress is labeled with a big 'BOMBARD ME' sign). 1) The attack doesn't occur, or they pop smoke to cover their advance to defang our interdiction in which case, great, we covered a flank for cheap. 2) Its a probing attack, which is annoying since it'll scout us out some but its okay since we're mostly shifting away from that position anyway and by the time anything stealthy enough to get close gets close, we'll be mostly into the town I'd hope. or 3) They advance in force in which case HELL YEA comrades, they just advanced a platoon+ and armor trying to rush our position while we moved to objectives worth giving a poo poo about, even though it sucks for the rearguard who stayed behind.

I see it as a good staging point for reserves, or for a place from which to bombard and/or assault the German spawn immediately with our heavy tanks parallel to the TRICK SHOTS axis. If we aren't doing those, I don't see a dedicated force doing much there.

--I really hate all of our feasible crossings, but I hate the exposed one less. Worst case scenario, that at least can be screened with smoke. The worst case scenario in the marsh is that the lead vehicle gets stuck in front of the ford and its fifteen minutes before our first troops enter the town which is a thing I'd rather not contemplate. Have y'all seen Come and See? We're Soviets, come on now, you should go and see Come and See. Seen it yet? Okay, yeah, gently caress marshes. Marshes suck. The exposed crossing also has the benefit of putting us more central to the town averaging out the Germans' really safe crossing to the northwest.

--You label really good and realistic initial objectives in the town here, and I'm 100% on board with them. Clusterfuck is pretty aptly named, but it's also the focal point of the map. I have no reasonable solution to taking it right now, especially approaching from the relatively exposed eastern side, but it'll probably involve lots of arty and tank shells and jellied gasoline. If we can shut down the southernmost crossing, getting an AT platoon or or Rifle/Flamethrower platoon over the exposed crossing puts Clusterfuck into contention, but that's a high-risk high-reward plan that'll probably kill everyone involved if one of the prerequisites for the plan folds.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I believe this is still firmly the "spitballing" stage before the "planning" stage, so don't sweat it! This is the USSR: Where all may speak their minds without fear!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

RedFlag posted:

I'm gonna start chipping in on the pre-game by setting up an OPORD for dtkozl. Anyone up for labeling key terrain, buildings, and other features on the map? I can do it but I'll focus on this first and I'm not great with names (it'd all end up being greek mythology figures or something boring like that).

OPORD will follow the standard format, and I'll leave plenty of blanks to fill in.

As long as "clusterfuck" is the official designation of the block south of the rail station I'll be satistfied with the naming convention.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
It was not me who just sent an email regarding the R20 invite. It was some other willie. You should probably give him the URL anyway, I mean, what could go wrong?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
^^ Willie's Willies will ford the river atop fronds of puissant proletarian jism

Yeah Roll20 is, near as i can tell, a map with an attached chatroom that also lets you draw no fewer than one (1) dicks on it while hashing stuff out and listening to the Red Army Choir sing stuff on the jukebox. It's not really a replacement for posting orders in the thread or posting questions or proposing really dumb ideas that'll get everyone killed.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Marshes. What is it with Russians and ordering Russians to wade through loving marshes. :gonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1K98nceA20

Fine! Fine. I'll do it :(

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
ALRIGHT YOU DREGS, YOU HEARD THE MAN

2nd Company 3rd Platoon

Sounds like everyone's got a tank but us so deploy on the northernmost part of grid R12 or as close as we can get to it. Orient in a rough delta formation oriented north with the Tank Hunter squad taking point like so:

Keep at least 20 meters between squads. Move quick north-northeast to grid Q9. Cross the marsh at the least lovely most accessible point via Grid Q9. Upon reaching the south bank of Ford Pallet, SMG squads and HQ will hide go firm well within tree cover while the tank hunters move to the edge of the tree cover at the northwest edge of the southern bank hereish and attempt to establish the following sightline...

...in a good faith effort to spot the shitstorm of consequences 1st platoon may or may not be driving directly into at Cerulean, OP Evee and OP Diglett.

There, we'll hold up and await further marching orders as we begin the advance across Ford Pallet.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 4, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

brakeless posted:

To my fellow foot platoon leaders: I'm effectively calling dibs on crossing the ford first, so I'd appreciate it if the next platoon gives me a bit of a head start so we avoid bunching up per our commander's wishes.

Yeah, that's my general idea. Also holding up at the ford will give my tank hunters time to glass Diglett and Evee while resting up some while you proceed. I am expecting a Fun Time at the ford while hoping that doesn't happen.

If everyone (or just Herp or dkotzl) want me to graph out a plan for the entire phase 1, I'll write up the bits past that, but I can't imagine we'll move up there, move the trucks, scouts, and 2 SMG platoons in five minutes without it being a clusterfucky everyone-for-themselves mad dash.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I don't believe we'll do all this in 5 minutes either, we just haven't yet got the measure of our troops. However, I hope we do not encounter the krauts until we set up at those positions. It would be much appreciated to have it all graphed out.

Fair talk.

Willie Tomg posted:

ALRIGHT YOU DREGS, YOU HEARD THE MAN

2nd Company 3rd Platoon

Sounds like everyone's got a tank but us so deploy on the northernmost part of grid R12 or as close as we can get to it. Orient in a rough delta formation oriented north with the Tank Hunter squad taking point like so:

Keep at least 20 meters between squads. Move quick north-northeast to grid Q9. Cross the marsh at the least lovely most accessible point via Grid Q9. Upon reaching the south bank of Ford Pallet, SMG squads and HQ will hide go firm well within tree cover while the tank hunters move to the edge of the tree cover at the northwest edge of the southern bank hereish and attempt to establish the following sightline...

...in a good faith effort to spot the shitstorm of consequences 2nd platoon may or may not be driving directly into at Cerulean, OP Evee and OP Diglett.

There, we'll hold up and await further marching orders as we begin the advance across Ford Pallet.

Grey, the previous orders stand, however I'm continuing them per CO request.

1. When 2nd Platoon begins their advance over the ford, each SMG squad will advance to the edge of tree cover on the south bank of ford Pallet in preparation to advance. PLEASE MAINTAIN ~20M INTERVALS just in case the fascists get cheeky with mortars. If there's no local contact, we'll begin our advance when 2nd is almost finished crossing. If there *is* local contact poo poo done got hosed, so cross anyway while shooting and saying things that would be cool to have as last words.

2. We cross at Quick speed. May the God who is a fiction of the bourgeois have mercy on us all.

3. On dry land, we hastily and roughly reestablish the delta formation that was very carefully and artfully illustrated above, with the tank hunters on point. We spearhead into OP Bulbasaur alternating between Quick and Move depending on fatigue levels, erring on the side of not exhausting the troops before they start shooting. We will take cover behind the building and hold at Bulbasaur until HQ arrives, unless HQ is already there in which case we will congratulate them on the excellent plan of advancing the command element into unsecured territory while...

4. We Move shy of the field south of OP Diglett keeping to tree cover, send only the Tank Hunters into the small building as a scout element and prepare for the assault on the railyard.

Here's a map with the enumerated steps labeled on it. As per brakeless, yellow is quick movement and blue is normal movement. The red arrow is a reference to the previous image in the orders showing the tank hunters trying for a LoS across the river. The red hashmark along the movement path is the bit where we take cover behind the building and hold up waiting for HQ to get caught up if thats a thing we need to wait for. The end bit is the SMG squads and HQ in line formation in the treeline (maintaining distance intervals still!!) with the tank hunters in that hut all alone conducting recon by live bait.

ORDERS END (i hope)

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 4, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

dtkozl posted:

Why are you going slow in the river? That is the last place you want to be.

Something something fatigue, but when you put it like that... we walk plenty and just caught our breath a minute or two by that point. Let's see if we can't just change that reallll quick...

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Grey Hunter posted:

I have been asked to relay this message from the German commander.

NWS Memorize *this* penetration table, bratan.NWS NWS

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 5, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
HerpicleOmnicron5 - Red Army Humanitarian of the Year, 1944

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

tatankatonk posted:

What's the plan if the Germans don't care about being gamey and they shell our fords? Or will we deal with that later?

That wouldn't be gamey, that would be a good idea. They've got to be thinking about barraging the known fords on the map at least as hard as we are, maybe more since they really really don't want us reaching that rail station first and want to slow us down as much as possible.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
If being the good guy were easy, everyone would do it. :/

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

The Merry Marauder posted:

This is some Hitler in the Bunker stuff, Herpicle. You have one squad anywhere near the objective (and a tank hunter team on the E edge of it), the rest of 2nd platoon straggling across the L9 ford, one platoon spread across P6-7, and one in a woodline at P8. You yourself are nowhere near the objective.

Also, I gotta say this right now, that one squad? It's my platoon. The platoon that's supposed to be waiting on the south bank and covering the trucks and 2nd platoon. A squad/platoon that is very likely very very tired right now after a 200m dash in full kit the last of which was through neck-deep water.

I mean, it ain't the end of the world but holy moses this is not the time for the charge of the light ppsh brigade

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Davin Valkri posted:

Boy, am I glad I'm not in 2nd Company :lol:

It's liberating. Death is lighter than a feather, friend. :)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
oh for fucks sake i mixed up 2 and 1... :aaaaa:

e; Okay its bad, but not catastrophic yet. I just, uh... gotta improvise...

At least I'm not immobile in the middle of the river. :/

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 8, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Alright sorry to be multi chain posting but after watching the video again really looking at it there's some serious silver lining to this, even if we've got High Drama right now.

1. Thanks to upen and the t-70's, when they advanced they saw nobody similarly rushing to the town. Nobody. Not one. No scouts, nothing. That doesn't mean they're not there, but I'd think we'd at least have audio contacts or something. There's nothing. I think we're the first to the town. This is HUGE. Like, drama aside, I seriously think we got this simply because we siezed the initiative and now the germans are digging us out rather than vice versa, unless they have half a dozen tanks and an infantry platoons hidden somewhere very very clever.

2. Fatigue notwithstanding, and the fuckoff arty shell about fifty feet over my dudes' heads notwithstanding, there are worse positions. Not many, and most of them are located in hell and the ruins of stalingrad, but there's some upside here. Thanks to my spaceyness, we now have two platoons enroute to the town ready to reach the objective within roughly a minute of each other really really early. It all comes down to where those shells land. In either case, now is literally the condition under which dkotzl said to use the motherfucking Fast command, and it just so happens that running like a man runs from the cops after punching a firefighter moves really quickly toward achieving both platoon and battalion level objectives.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

uPen posted:

There is absolutely no way the Germans wouldn't get something in the town, letting us just set up in the objective for free would be insane. I bet they've got several tanks/trucks with a platoon or three of riders across Fuschia and moving into Jumpluff or Igglybuff. We've already seen a PzIV with 2(?) squads on it so there's probably another tank or two coming across at Viridian with the rest of that platoon.

Your first sentence is beyond correct, its 100% descriptive. The second sentence is pure supposition. This is an army of latter day volunteers to Fascism, insanity is 100% on the table here.

I think I've pretty much proven by now my brain works better with pretty pictures and bright colors than numbered tables with hyphens and forum names, so here's a visual aid to describe my thought process.

(I also want to say that it's the scouting info that your tank specifically that informs most of this, that was some BALLSY maneuvering and I'm unironically confident that it's given us the information to break this round wide open).

I done goofed. I now reside in The Fuckup Zone, which just so happens to be with my platoon strung out half of them on the north bank of the river and half of them IN the loving river. The rest of the batallion infantry is further back in The Fuckup Zone, where caution and maneuver is an option they can credibly take. This is actually a good thing, because of what you've found for us upen which was *nothing at all* at least in the town. 3rd Platoon is now ideally positioned to act as Retard Point Element for Ford Pallet which is very specifically where I did not want to be but if wishes were horses beggars would ride.

3rd Platoon is at a critical point where some dudes are probably gonna die. I can proceed forward as if we're fearing a force comp conjured from nothing and nowhere, going backwards in the fuckup zone, only to have to recross the fuckup zone dithering around in poop and tears and get more dudes killed, I can do that. Or I can proceed forward as if our light tanks advanced right to the objective, the objective we're all going towards, finding no incoming resistance, and get out of the fuckup zone as fast as possible.

There are two sets of two variables that predicate this very, very silly rolling with punches. The first concerns whether the bombardment lands at Cerulean or Pallet, the second concerns whether the germans are moving into the town.

The bombardment will
a) Hit Cerulean. Welp, gently caress those guys. Haha sorry, sorry, sorry. not sorry
b) Hit Pallet. THEN WHY THE gently caress WOULD I *THINK* ABOUT STAYING HERE? gently caress YOU GUYS!!

The Germans will
a) Dither and fart around outside the town. We have no reason whatsoever to not take as many uncontested objectives while they try to force a fight south of the river.
b) Proceed into the town. They'll open up either on you, upen, or the newly emplaced river turret. If they waste rounds on 3rd platoon then something far, far more dangerous will get a spot on them and probably kill them. In either case, 3rd's advance along the east edge of the map, then hooking roughly parallel to the rail line toward Diglett provides us with good positioning to advance, retreat, and support as we will. Whatever happens, you'd rather have infantry support than no infantry support, especially if dkotzl's (good, imo) response to potential shelling at Pallet keeps infantry reinforcement bottled up or diverted for X number of minutes more.

But I really can't let go of this: If they were sending point elements into the town, they'd meet at the rail yard which is roughly equidistant between the two spawns. They didn't. Sometimes the answer is simple. Sometimes the commander just goofs. The Fuckup Zone is a netural party in this war. :shobon:

\

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 9, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'VE GONE SANE IN A CRAZY WORLD, drat YOU ALL

No, I'm serious, I'm pretty sure we've got this as long as we don't run the T-70s into panzerschrecks that enter the town ~somehow~

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I really like that part in the context of this moment of this thread because what you don't see immediately before that selected clip in Generation Kill is the recon marines being paranoid as hell and begruding their orders to seemingly-stupidly advance before charging into what is, in fact, a crucial airfield that has been left deserted because the enemy was thoroughly in the Fuckup Zone and goofed, and it turns out the whole company was worrying over nothing.

Herp is definitely gonna shoot some poo poo anyway, though. Got to.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Odd question, but would ordering the squads in the river to move Fast, would they momentarily pause because of some kind of command lag? They're already moving quick, and pausing in the river might be worse than not moving as fast as possible through it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Three part plan this time

1. At Quick pace, move the hell out of the river. Once behind heavyish concealment, bear west and proceed toward OP Diglett at a normal Move pace.

2. At the turn, the Platoon HQ will remain behind for however long (probably no longer than a 30 seconds to a minute) to shepherd the stragglers last out of the river. The intent is to give morale support to potentially two squads which just took casualties. If they get on dry land with minimal drama, my Platoon Commander is obviously gonna be less concerned about damage control and more concerned about keeping them moving.

3. Regroup in the clearning East of OP Diglett. The tank hunters orient South-West in order to get visibility on the nearest known German ford as indicated by the red arrow.

The tank hunters take point, HQ goes in the middle, etc, etc.

ORDERS END

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
So everyone's clear that once we start knocking over objectives (the end of this orders phase, basically) we can expect this whole "no enemies" party to end pretty dramatically.

That can be a cool thing, since we're pretty well placed to receive them in town as long as the T-70s don't overextend as well as counter-counterattacking with whatever isn't over the river yet, but basically dtkozl's Phase 1 is gonna be either done or close to it by the end of this next 2 minutes.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

IIRC their orders were basically "wait to see how the bombardment goes this orders phase" since they were still on the south bank, yeah? It's just redlobster and me over the river for 2nd company.

I dont recall correctly, he had no orders. WHO WANTS TO COMMAND AN INFANTRY PLATOON

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 11, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Davin Valkri posted:

Didn't somebody say that artillery hitting the fords would only cause one or two casualties at most?

The war will be over by christmas, too! :downs:

3rd Platoon on the other hand has some ground to make up. They need to haul rear end to get there, and their angle is pretty much perfect for what I have in mind.

Can you clarify this at all, or do you prefer it as one of those things where if we don't know what we're doing then the enemy sure as hell won't? Either way, I'm down.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Look, none of my subordinates have complained yet. They are the only ones who I care about when it comes to understanding and executing my orders.

drat straight!

I don't know how you clownshoes poncy fuckin' schoolboys do it up there in 1st Company inbetween bouts of handholding and sobbing, but in 2nd we have this little thing called "chain of command"

Got it?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Is there a reasonable way for me to check on the fatigue of my squads? That is nontrivial information affecting the next orders phase. :/

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

dublish posted:

I've got one ready for Willie Tomg, but I'm stuck on the icon for it.

Any of the running dogs in this picture (im 3rd platoon by the way, but boy howdy am i the last person whose gonna judge you for mixing up 2nd Co Platoon numbers! e; or what a company and platoon is, even!)

Or the sitting dog in the bottom right. I like that dog, actually. That dog is cool as hell.

Jaguars! posted:

Or possibly a hallucinogenic mushroom.

Also acceptable! Your tag, your call, I trust you.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 14, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Also, all you guys own. :)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

dublish posted:

Is that a joke, or can you actually not tell the difference between a 2 and a 3?

It was a joke.

it sucked :(

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 14, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

duckfoot posted:

Is that any good?

Close enough for funk, amigo!

This is still the operating plan, move quick getting out of the ford, tank hunters watch southwest. All I care about this orders phase is getting my dudes to ring all over that clearing, not have them be completely exhausted, and be a single coherent group.

I put some lines on a map but alter them at will in favor of running less, if possible, as long as it gets 100% of my dudes there in 120 seconds.

If you could please just browse over my platoon so I can get a notion of the squads' fatigue levels at the end of this orders phase I'd appreciate it. :)

ORDERS END

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Actually, an end-of-phase tabbing through the units as you wrap up the video and say your so-longs would be nice as a regular thing. The #1 question on everyone's mind at the end of the updates is "where am I and where is everyone else" and while its possible to figure out since you give us the birdseye view half of us screw it up anyway. Being able to browse the end of the video and pausing when it gets to the relevant unit(s) would be neat, imo.

Please do not mention this tactic to the Germans if they have yet to mention something like it as well. THank you.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
^^^^^ agreed, a whole lot.

I feel like next turn is the one where we gotta poo poo or get off the pot re: assaulting somewheres. If 3rd platoon is too pooped out to fight, we can take overwatch at 2nd's position at Diglett or the clearing northeast of it and fall back into the woods when things get rowdy to take Graveller and/or Haunter. In either case, those tanks are coming, and some walls would be neat because what we got right now isn't cover from the south and west, its concealment. And that's not nothing! Concealment from tanks is fantastic! But they gotta move closer to us to be vulnerable and we've already butchered a platoon for no real return casualties today.

Plus, if they skirt around North and cut East along the rail line, it's gonna be real nice to greet anyone who hitched a ride on those incoming tanks with an occupation of both Flygon and Graveller while being behind a wall or structure that can at least cut the worst of their coax MGs while our other assets work their magic.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah, redlobster go ahead and dust us if want to and catch this in time to edit, you got there first and we're assembling into a decent semi-bounding overwatch position within our effective range in this clearing. Plus 1st is limping our way so giving them a secured point of advance would be courteous. Exhaustion permitting, we can take Graveller next phase. My tank hunters are gonna be watching that southwest vantage in a few seconds anyway.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 14, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

The Platoon will advance at Move pace generally along the indicated line, the intent for all to be staying behind tree cover and the berm of the railroad itself.

1. The red X denotes the large building. 3rd Squad, HQ, and the Tank Hunters will occupy the top floor of this building. 3rd will Hide, the tank hunters and HQ will not.

2. The red O denotes a really well covered side of barn between the trees and the railroad berm. 1st squad will occupy this forward position. They will Hide as well.

4. The crudely drawn exclamation mark denotes the forest south of Haunter. 2nd squad will occupy a position well within tree cover, just northwest of HQ's hardpoint in the building. They Will Hide As Well.

Well, I can't think of anything.

ORDERS END

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
See dtkozl?! I stayed out of the deathtrap barns. People really do read your infoposts! :shobon:

• Locked thread