Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This highlights the problems with NINE AXIS ALIGNMENT. The Dragon's motivation is to sleep on gold because it feels good on its scales. So it takes treasures from the weaker "lesser" creatures the same way humans take honey, fur, or meat from what we consider lesser creatures. But this somehow makes the Dragon capitol E Evil, aligned with the most vile forces in the cosmology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Fuschia tude posted:

So you've made fantasy Liberia?
No, just straight up fantasy America.

Edit: I see the problem, given traditional representations of Africans as being savage ape men. Better make sure I describe the ape men as being white furred.

ascendance fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 18, 2014

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

moths posted:

This highlights the problems with NINE AXIS ALIGNMENT. The Dragon's motivation is to sleep on gold because it feels good on its scales. So it takes treasures from the weaker "lesser" creatures the same way humans take honey, fur, or meat from what we consider lesser creatures. But this somehow makes the Dragon capitol E Evil, aligned with the most vile forces in the cosmology.
In my nine axis alignment system, unfettered capitalism is totally capital E Evil.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The problem with fantasy (and all current fiction) is the need to explain everything. An example (not D&D) are the aliens in the Metro 2033. They want to share and co-exist with humanity but their presence and attempts to communicate are an anathema to humans. So, the character (and player) is not able to know about the aliens, as a point in the story. The idea that players or the audience needs to know the orc life cycle or dragon reproduction feeds the need for media to consume but it is never truly enjoyable. Arousing curiosity in players is far more effective IMO in gameplay. Warhammer 40k is probably better at this than any other setting because mystery is baked into the setting throughout. That's why you see stuff like slenderman and SCP as an (over) reaction to constant lore bombs and explanations in sci-horror. People want monsters to be scary and mystery is apart of the fear. The old man keter could be a demon stealing sould or could be angel punishing sinners. You don't know, you only know he wants to hurt you and how.

Strolling up to an orc camp comes off as lifting the veil too high.

temple fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 18, 2014

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
If you think western fantasy explains too much, check out some anime. Attack on Titan is particularly bad at not explaining anything.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

moths posted:

I mean that the strength is that when different factions exist within the same species, the evil ones are physiologically identical to the good ones. GW Dark Elves are Romulans to their Vulcans, rather than D&D's Curse of Cain Lloth black-skinned evildoers.

This isn't to say WHF isn't without their share of evil nazi ratmen or vampires - just that there's no implied racial basis for alignment.

Just...uh...never look at how they describe any of the non-European human villains. Or rewrite those some. The whole thing with the Hung, the Arabians, etc is pretty bad.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
If you don't have baby dragons than you don't get this happening:

look at that smug fighter (like he did anything in the fight, it was all the wizard obviously)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

look at that smug fighter (like he did anything in the fight, it was all the wizard obviously)

I dunno man, that dragon's pretty cut up and has at least one arrow sticking out of it. I'm betting the two people with swords and torn pants actually fought it and Shortbow Goldenhair there contributed an arrow, while the wizard was comparing beards with warhammer guy in Leomund's Tiny Hut if you know what I mean.

Actually, I bet that's not even a dragon. Look at that tiny box of loot. Treasure type H, my arse.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 18, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

temple posted:

The problem with fantasy (and all current fiction) is the need to explain everything.
Someone hasn't read Malazan Book of the Fallen.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That's not a baby dragon it's an adult drake
/
:smaug:

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

temple posted:

The problem with fantasy (and all current fiction) is the need to explain everything.

Have you checked out Numenera? It's a lot like a Gene Wolfe and Lovecraft collaboration world-wise and prides itself on being weird as hell and unexplainable. "People can only assume" is an official explanation descriptor for many major facets of the world. If you like that stuff, it's very cool while also adaptable.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

Or Game of Thrones. O wait. Its like successful fantasy series have to preserve a sense of mystery and the fantastic.

Edit: Its like the best authors just completely disregard what the fans want, which is impossible amounts of exacting detail about stupid things.

ObMeiste
Oct 7, 2003

The Boss doesn't like you. Get out now or you'll have some real trouble.

Fuschia tude posted:

So you've made fantasy Liberia?

Fantasy Liberia is the new Fantasy Vietnam, calling it here.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

dwarf74 posted:

It's amazing how Erikson wrote 10,000 pages without explaining much.

Actually, isn't that series based on a D&D campaign? I'd be curious to see what he did with the Malazan soldier. Maybe the solution to fighters being underwhelming is to give them all grenades?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

It's amazing how Erikson wrote 10,000 pages without explaining much.

Actually, isn't that series based on a D&D campaign? I'd be curious to see what he did with the Malazan soldier. Maybe the solution to fighters being underwhelming is to give them all grenades?

It was GURPS.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ascendance posted:

Or Game of Thrones. O wait. Its like successful fantasy series have to preserve a sense of mystery and the fantastic.

Edit: Its like the best authors just completely disregard what the fans want, which is impossible amounts of exacting detail about stupid things.

The irony here is that GRRM is disregarding the fans' desire for a new installment of the story by releasing a history/atlas that will fulfill the fans' desire to have everything spelled out.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

ObMeiste posted:

Fantasy Liberia is the new Fantasy Vietnam, calling it here.
I'm actually running fantasy Afghanistan, with the PCs being Afghanis.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

if you want to play a demigod that's cool but its kind of obvious why 5e fighter was never going to be this.
Why is that obvious when there are demigod fighters in myth and folklore and media? Unless you're making a crack at Mike Mearls?

Really Pants posted:

What if your Fighter got brainsucked, but won some kind of opposed roll and took over the Intellect Devourer's old critter body? Would he be more effective?
Maybe all IDs are actually former adventurers. Like the ghosts in CRAWL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_3xrqjTyes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY0N12w3csI

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 18, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Andrast posted:

It was GURPS.
From what I understand it started as AD&D, but moved to GURPS.

I heard rumors that a d20 publisher was interested in licensing it, and I threw up a little in my mouth. Because nothing says Malazan like statting out Fiddler as Sapper 8/Bridgeburner 5/Veteran 8/Seer 2 or some other dumb poo poo d20 nonsense.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

goldjas posted:

It's weird that people attribute bosses with multiple phases to World of Warcraft, I remember running DND back in like high school before WoW even came out and running bosses with multiple phases, because I had already played other games over 10 years ago even then that had bosses with multiple phases. It's not a new concept.

In fact, I think some of the super old modules from the 70s had bosses with multiple phases. To the least, I know of a lot of NES games released in the 80s that had bosses with multiple bosses.
How many phases did the final boss of Chrono Trigger have again? FF6? FF7?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Jackard posted:

How many phases did the final boss of Chrono Trigger have again? FF6? FF7?
I don't remember Chrono Trigger's final fight with Lavos but Kefka had four. You climbed up the statue thing in three phases before fighting Angel Kefka at the very top.

EDIT: Having checked youtube, Lavos had three to five depending on how you want to score it when he 'changes attack modes'. But you started fighting the outer shell, moved to the outer core and then fought the final inner core weird looking thing with his bits.

NorgLyle fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 18, 2014

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

mastershakeman posted:

This is probably a tangent but I'd play the poo poo out of a 'bringing guns to a macuahuitl fight' musketeer fighter. Roll in all conquistador style with black powder bombs, early firearms, steel helm, breastplate, and sword, hell yes.

I doubt you'd ever see something like that done well just because it's right at the unholy intersection of 'Not giving mundanes nice things', 'ew guns in DnD are icky', and 'It doesn't -feel- like a real DnD fighter anymore'.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Crasical posted:

This is probably a tangent but I'd play the poo poo out of a 'bringing guns to a macuahuitl fight' musketeer fighter. Roll in all conquistador style with black powder bombs, early firearms, steel helm, breastplate, and sword, hell yes.

I doubt you'd ever see something like that done well just because it's right at the unholy intersection of 'Not giving mundanes nice things', 'ew guns in DnD are icky', and 'It doesn't -feel- like a real DnD fighter anymore'.
You can do that in Warhammer, but I have some bad news about those guys with the macuahuitls...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

dwarf74 posted:

From what I understand it started as AD&D, but moved to GURPS.

I heard rumors that a d20 publisher was interested in licensing it, and I threw up a little in my mouth. Because nothing says Malazan like statting out Fiddler as Sapper 8/Bridgeburner 5/Veteran 8/Seer 2 or some other dumb poo poo d20 nonsense.

Well, apparently he rolled out a large part of the first book and apparently even the end of the tenth, which is weird. So it'd be interesting to see the original AD&D character sheet.

Malazan sappers are pretty unique in fantasy as far as I know - tinker gnomes/goblins are similar with their explosives, but those are usually used comically instead of what Erikson does.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

You can do that in Warhammer, but I have some bad news about those guys with the macuahuitls...
they're lizardmen or Amazons?

With all the Malazan discussion, I have actually included in my game most of the sapper explosives. Characters can get both Cussers and the big explosives. I didn't include the plastic explosive or the burners.

ascendance fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 19, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

Maybe the solution to fighters being underwhelming is to give them all grenades?

I could get behind this. No matter how complex or unintuitive a class is, give them some grenades and the players will always know what to do with them.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I could get behind this. No matter how complex or unintuitive a class is, give them some grenades and the players will always know what to do with them.

A good idea.

I can't see any tabletop gamer having trouble figuring out what to do with a big bag of explosives.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

AlphaDog posted:

A good idea.

I can't see any tabletop gamer having trouble figuring out what to do with a big bag of explosives.

An even if they do, whatever they end up doing will probably be hilarious.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Did you know 3.5 lets clerics make magic grenades using gems and Glyph of Warding??

One time a pickpocket took off with our bag of sonic moonstones... shouted the command word after him and the shockwave shattered every window in town.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

Have you checked out Numenera? It's a lot like a Gene Wolfe and Lovecraft collaboration world-wise and prides itself on being weird as hell and unexplainable. "People can only assume" is an official explanation descriptor for many major facets of the world. If you like that stuff, it's very cool while also adaptable.

Numenera goes the other way too far. Like, it says "There were eight previous worlds; one of them was psychic, one was bio-tech, one was hardtech, and I dunno, make up some more poo poo." And that is almost literally it.

It's one of the loving stupid things that book did. It has a lovely Lonely Planet guide to the world, describing, say, the salt-worshipping cult and its leader in detail, but it can't even get Eberron-smart and tell you what cool ways PCs might interact with that cult, whether the cult could be good or evil or gray, or what secret stuff the cult has or may have. The book doesn't say anything about how the mysteries of the cult might fit in with the mysteries of the world, and it doesn't have fun even hinting at possibilities. It leaves everything, every single thing, unexplainable, promises the players that some things might get explained at least a little, and offers the GM no help at all.

The theme of the game is supposed to be discovery and the game does nothing to make things discovered cool or to make the act of discovery cool.

Sorry if I'm coming off hostile. I love almost all the stuff Monte Cook has done for Dungeons and Dragons. But Numenera is watery poo poo in almost every capacity.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Numenera is possibly the worst game I have ever seen for caster supremacy. Its like, at Rank 5, the fighters get +2 to damage, and the casters get control all machines, or create an illusion several miles in size.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
I think it's level two that casters get Hold Person. Except in this system that means that they can then cast that spell for free, at will and without limit. Level two. At the last level, wizards get Move Mountain and Super Teleport while fighters get Leap Attack.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

AlphaDog posted:

A good idea.

In the case of D&D, probably bitch about the fact that anyone can have a bag of grenades, so the Wizard should have one too.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

thespaceinvader posted:

In the case of D&D, probably bitch about the fact that anyone can have a bag of grenades, so the Wizard should have one too.

Worse, they'll get some spell that makes them better at using grenades than the fighter.

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

Worse, they'll get some spell that makes them better at using grenades than the fighter.

This literally happened in a Zeitgeist game I've been running, PCs bought grenades and mage hand shenanigans ensued.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've been playing 7th Sea as a bomb-tossing Porte mage, and can vouch for the pure joy that is magical bomb-tossing shenanigans.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Ratoslov posted:

They already have one: Mage Hand.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Dart posted:

This literally happened in a Zeitgeist game I've been running, PCs bought grenades and mage hand shenanigans ensued.
Actually with the way Paizo nerfed hand grenades it is far better to chuck em without mage hand.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

MadScientistWorking posted:

Actually with the way Paizo nerfed hand grenades it is far better to chuck em without mage hand.
Are you still able to grab handfuls of gem grenades and fling them every which way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

AlphaDog posted:

Looks like I'm going to be playing this again in the next month or so, with a DM I trust not to run a shitshow.

In the opinion of this thread, how do I build the most fun bard? I'm thinking of going Valour.

Or maybe a Moon Druid. I haven't done any reading on Druid yet though. e: Same question for that, what's the best way to build a fun druid? Wild Shape?

We have a bard at our table that really enjoys playing an all-purpose character (he's a half-elf). But it seems like the class has a lot of fun more focused options out of the gate, especially if you don't mind picking human variant to get that starting feat.

Dual-wielding is very effective and powerful until higher levels. If you think it's going to take your group a long time to get through the first 10 levels, then I would strongly suggest dual-wielding and starting with the feat. Moving 30 feet and attacking with 2 rapiers in the same turn at first level is so refreshing, especially if you come from a Pathfinder background.

Another option is to pick Spell Sniper and Eldritch Blast. You'll have a powerful cantrip that will scale up throughout the life of the character. If you want to go all crazy, by level 8 you could multi-class into Warlock (for added umf to your Eldritch Blast) and combine it with Sentinel and War Caster for extra fun, not to mention cool flavor.

You could also make a strength-based bard that focuses on grappling. For the first few levels you won't be as effective though, so watch out if you go this route.

Edit:

The more I think about it, I would go totally go with option 3. You could be like a traveling performing luchadore. I would take College of Lore, to take Enlarge (to grapple super large dudes) and something Mage Armor-y (this way you can remain unarmored in style). You bard performance skills could be like wrestling and epithets. You would probably want Tavern Brawler and Grappler for your first feats. Remember to boost Althetics with Expertise at 3rd. You could eventually multi-class into Barbarian for some extra Con AC and hulk powers, but you'd be giving up spells. Also this is not a joke character. You may have to play a bit carefully with him at earlier levels, but once you hit level 6 you'll become a monster. You can completely shut down primary threats (grappling is super sticky and very powerful in this game) and provide the support of a full caster.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 20, 2014