Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
In case you didn't want to bother with the other thread here are some quotes from Mearls.

quote:

@rjfTrebor : can cantrips with attack rolls be used with the extra attack mechanic?
@mikemearls : no, the benefit from extra attack applies when you use the attack action

quote:

@bodieh : are there any options for an equivalent of using acrobatics to move through an opponent?
@mikemearls : it's up to the DM and how the player uses the environment

‏@Strange_Bundle : Unclear on investigation vs. perception, and a few other things. Otherwise one of my new favorite DnD editions. Good work all!
@mikemearls : investigation = do you see something. investigation = can you interpret a clue to deduce its meaning
@Strange_Bundle : First one is perception, I assume. Go ahead and delete/resend if you wanna. It's the spot/search dichotomy, I gather.
@mikemearls : illusions are a good example. wisdom (perception) let's you spot it. Int lets you deduce that it's an illusion.

@intensewiz : So will the feats option be legal for organized play or will it be mandatory to use the ability score increase? Thanks!
@mikemearls : OP will allow feats

quote:

@wax_eagle : Question about Divine Intervention, is it *supposed* to say percentile? Or d20? Going from 10% up to 19% to auto success is odd?
@mikemearls : when you hit level 20, you get a direct line to the gods.

@T_Strube : who wrote the lost mine of phandelver and who did the maps?
@mikemearls : rich baker wrote the adventure, Chris Perkins polished it, @schley did the cartography

@JonathanBolding : make Crawford get a twitter.
@mikemearls : oh man, don't think that would go well
@JonathanBolding : What, he shouldn't be harassed and bothered 24/7 about dnd too?
@mikemearls : Jeremy would go all gandalf vs. wormtongue on like the second dude to say something stupid to him

quote:

@zamubafoo : So what happened to martial dice anyways? I truly hope they at least make it into the DMG as an optional rule
@mikemearls : PHB

@Danny2Chins : Hey Mike but are spellcasters ever able to swap out or add cantrips to their spellbooks if they didnt start out with them?
@mikemearls : most casters gain more cantrips - DM can let you make swaps

@Ettin64 : Was damage on a miss replaced with rerolling damage dice, or has it just been moved out of Basic?
@mikemearls : replaced - caused too much confusion (poisoned weapon is a good example)

quote:

@TheOzymandiasII : Love the Warlock. Usually stuck as healer. Any way to get best of both worlds? Or not in their purview? #warlockobsessed
@mikemearls : not in core, sorry, though I think high level warlocks can pick spells from other classes
‏@TheOzymandiasII : no worries. They will find a new one. I will have my Pact.
@TheOzymandiasII : and if you're up to being even awesomer and answering 2: Blade Pact need an arcane focus like Hexblade? Or call it whenever?
@mikemearls : can't recall off top of my head

@mikemearls : True stories of fifth edition - the overall project, the game, the playtest, etc was codenamed Anduril. obvious ref for Tolkien geeks.
@phildack : says something about in-house view of 4E too? The blade that was broken & reforged.
@mikemearls : nope - stuff like PDFs getting pulled, magazines going all digital, pr plan, etc. I think 4e was hurt by all the stuff around it

@mikemearls : Game was code named Iowa by Rich Baker, drawing from the (modified) quote from Field of Dreams - if you build it, they will come.

quote:

@SamSykesSwears : They discontinued tapatillo doritos?! What the **** is even the point of living now
@mikemearls : only the hope that they will return can sustain us

@nerdvana : Congrats on #DnDBasic launch today. Really feels polished. More backgrounds in PHb?
@mikemearls : yes - glad you liked it

@CarlTorvik : Noticed Basic Rules mention multiclassing, but requires access to the PHB use it. Seems oddly incomplete/ flawed. L&L article?
@mikemearls : reference is there so if you use basic and friend uses PHB, you know what key options refer to

quote:

@Danny2Chins : G8t job on .pdf, sorry for bothering you again. Is it true stats including racial bonuses cannot be above 18 at lvl1?
@mikemearls : max is 20

@wotc_rodney : No, we really did go to White Castle. And it was worth it.
@mikemearls : I liked White Castle! Especially the people watching. Steak n' Shake and my GI tract had serious issues..

@Bulletpointe : Is Fighter the only class that gets Extra Attacks or do Paladins, Rangers, and Barbarians get that distinction too?
@mikemearls : they get it, too

quote:

@seanbonney : Can a wizard Burning Hands himself? His hands clearly aren't affected, but what about his feet? #dnd
@mikemearls : nope - point of origin isn't in area. Wiz would have to want to immolate self

@Bulletpointe : Action Surge + Extra Attack means double attacks, IE 3 normal attacks + AS equals six attacks, yes?
@mikemearls : yes

@Celestian_GC : Is the text in the Basic DND PDF supposed to be mangled? I am trying to pass it through a audio reader but the OCR is corrupted.
@mikemearls : weird - I'll check on that Monday. I know there are also copy/paste issues. Might be how PDF was built

quote:

@mikemearls : This beer is afraid of fireworks. Better keep it safe in my tummy. #Happy4thofJuly

@mikemearls : The folks at the Tome Show were kind enough to invite me on their show - http://www.thetomeshow.com/e/mike-mearls-on-5e-dd-tome-239/

@mikemearls : Every once in a while, I have to remember to thank @DelveRPG for dragging me out to see Ronnie James Dio live in concert.

@mikemearls : As a fan of Fabian Barthez, I mourn the fall of Les Bleus. They looked so dominant in the group stage. C'est la guerre.

quote:

@dd_stevenson : Sorry, I've got to ask: why isn't monte cook in basic's credits?
@mikemearls : sorry, confused - he's there
@dd_stevenson : Sorry. I meant: as a 5E guy. Further dev section refers only to past editions. Right?
@mikemearls : it's not that cut and dried. We made best fit based on contributions people made. It was a long process with a lot of people.
@mikemearls : I haven't had anyone listed in the credits drop me a line about it
@mikemearls : he is listed - I just double checked
@mikemearls : if monte has any issues with the credits, he should drop me an email

quote:

@pukunui81 : You don't proficiency to use thieves' tools in general, but you do need it to pick locks? #dnd #amiright
@mikemearls : DM's call, depends on lock and other factors

@Abstruse : With Meteor Swarm...how close do the four meteors have to be to one another? Anywhere in the spell's range?
@mikemearls : anywhere in range
@Abstruse : Related, can all four meteors strike the same spot for 160d6 damage in a 20ft radius?
@mikemearls : don't believe they stack - but that's not an official answer. Can't remember design intent
@Abstruse : They don't stack. Says so clearly in the spell description and I was drunk when I read it ^_^;;
@mikemearls : best way to read rules, if you're a DM

@Abstruse : Speaking of...do you know if there are rules about podcasts and D&D material?
@Abstruse : Like say if a podcast *cough* http://gamerstavern.org *cough* wanted to record a playthru of the Starter Set using Basic D&D?
@mikemearls : that should be cool
@Abstruse : Who can make that "should be" become a "is definitely"? Please don't say Hasbro PR...they're the reason we haven't talked.
@Abstruse : The hurdles to interview you for AICN were more than my colleagues there go through for Spielberg, Del Toro, Tarantino, etc.
@mikemearls : I'll check on Monday, but I'm nearly 100% certain we're cool with streaming game sessions

quote:

@Danny2Chins : Especially with the Realms, it seems like only a few cities get alot of coverage. Maybe they could be digital resources 4 sale?
@mikemearls : sorry, can't comment on future stuff. There are a lot of FR books on http://dndclassics.com that have details on cities
@mikemearls : that said, I love city books!

@A_real_geek : What about Read Magic. Seems it’s missing from Basic. Is it not needed to read scrolls?
@mikemearls : not needed - it was a spell wizards had to take, so we moved away from it
@A_real_geek : So any character can “read” which spell is on a scroll? Or any character which can cast that type of spell?
@mikemearls : I think you need to have the spell on your class list to know what it is

quote:

@MWDuo : Question for you @mikemearls. Is choosing a subrace required or optional?. Not 100% clear
@mikemearls : it's required - you're a step behind without one

@nperkins : Do 1st level characters get their Hit Die back after a long rest or do they have to rest two days in a row?
@mikemearls : they get it back - believe it should be minimum 1 with long rest
@nperkins : thanks for the answer. Running Phandelver in a few hours ... I am incredibly impressed with the adventure.
@mikemearls : thanks! Rich Baker and Chris Perkins did a great job with

@JonathanBolding : We'll be livestreaming @TheEscapistMag's playthrough of the D&D Starter Set this coming week.

quote:

Mike Mearls: Regarding Potent Cantrip - we'll add cantrips that can benefit from it to Basic D&D.

quote:

@mikemearls Q: What happens if a creature is invisible but not hidden?
@mikemearls Sorry, to clarify, do you have to guess which square the invisible creature is in, or do you just attack with disadvantage?
@CyberDaveMil attack with disadvantage, unless target is hiding. Then you need to guess.

quote:

@mikemearls Q: What happens if a creature is invisible but not hidden?
@mikemearls Sorry, to clarify, do you have to guess which square the invisible creature is in, or do you just attack with disadvantage?
@CyberDaveMil attack with disadvantage, unless target is hiding. Then you need to guess.
@CyberDaveMil you know it's space but can't see it. If using minis, mark its pos on the map.
@mikemearls Thanks! One more very quick question if you do not mind: in that case, what is the benefit of the rogue's blindsense?
@mikemearls To clarify, I am assuming "blindsense" lets you "see" invisible creatures within 10 feet, right?
@CyberDaveMil main benefit is revealing hidden creatures. Invisibility detection is small benefit if creature isn't trying to hide
@CyberDaveMil nope, just detect

quote:

@mattstaggs : Feats. Can just one player in a group use them and others not w/out it becoming a balance issue or does everyone have to?
@mikemearls : it's designed to work that way - some with feats, so e without

@mikemearls : Regarding Potent Cantrip - we'll add cantrips that can benefit from it to Basic D&D

@newbiedm : mikemearls I'm also surprised at no mention of optional tactical maps at all, and the idea of tokens coins or minis to represent characters
@mikemearls : really wanted to focus on imagination and roleplay - it's what makes the rpg distinct

quote:

@Danubus43 : Can we get a few monsters added to basic set? No gaming store near here carrying Starter set and friend gets his on 22nd.
@mikemearls : sorry, but we're doing all that work right now. They'll be there soon!

@newbiedm : if looking at it from prism of someone really new, no prior experience playing dnd, i found the lack of session example weird.
@mikemearls : we felt it would best to tackle that through a how to play video
@TorgHacker : Yeah, if they're not mentioned in the Starter Set, I think that's a bit of a oversight.
@mikemearls : trick is - do people see set first, or see video first? We get a lot of views on the PAX vids, for instance

@JXPrime : I only ever read the 4e books, but it seems like maps/squares are ideal for D&D, why the shift to and then shift away?
@mikemearls : we had feedback that people felt they had to spend $$$ on tiles or minis before they could play, turned newbies away

quote:

@SymphFan : For 2weapon fighting, do you get at most 1 bonus hit a turn even if you have Extra Attacks from the fighter? (Uses Bonus action)
@mikemearls : that's correct. Since it uses your onus action, you can only use it once

@mikemearls : Regarding Potent Cantrip - we'll add cantrips that can benefit from it to Basic D&D
@redcometcasval : it seems like it should do half damage on a missed attack as well.
@mikemearls : yeah, that's what it was, but that would limit abilities that modded cantrips
@mikemearls : damage on a miss tripped lots of groups. For instance, if my Cantrip also pushes does that apply with dmg on miss?
@redcometcasval : how is that any different than the current way with saves? It would just do damage, no additional effect.
@mikemearls : saves consistently work that way - pattern is throughout the game

@ham2anv : What about rituals?
@mikemearls : there's a few in there - tried to keep them slim for complexity reasons
@ham2anv : I did a search for "ritual" and the only spell I found was spi"ritual" weapon.
@mikemearls : try the printer friendly version - standard version has some formatting issues. Take a peek at identify, for instance

quote:

@mikemearls : Really nice breakdown of Basic D&D compared to playtest - http://harbinger-of-doom.blogspot.com/2014/07/d-basic-races-and-classes.html
@Grand_DM : Nice. I noticed Ray of enfeeblement did not make the cut. PHB?
@mikemearls : yup!

@newbiedm : think we'll see some of the stuff tossed aside in the playtest make an appearance as options, or unearthed arcana somewhere?
@mikemearls : potentially, at least in spirit

@blackwarder : if a stonskined wizard is taking damage should he make a concentration check?
@mikemearls : yes, unless spell says otherwise
@blackwarder : so is it intended to be cast on the fighter and not on the wizard?
@mikemearls : that's probably your best use for it

quote:

@Robotdjuret : Curious about the dwarves, armor and magic bit. How did that balance in playtest? Sounds pretty munchkinable.
@mikemearls : it actually doesn't play as strong as you think - eases reliance on buffs for AC, but bonus hp is probably better long term
@mikemearls : d6 HD is still a big weakness.
@Robotdjuret Cool! I always play by the book ‘til something proves broken. Just curious. Will there be a DMG discussion abt low magic games?
@mikemearls : yes - just finished it up this week

@Abstruse : New complaint. "The new edition is extra-boring because they only included the iconic classes/races." So githyanki should've been core?
@mikemearls : dammit I knew we should've put the giff in basic

@jasonpesch : So why the switch of Mtn and Hill Dwarf stats?
@mikemearls : driven by story

@pokereleran : seems like a lot of people are upset that there are now 6 saves but really only 3 are used. Plans to address this in the PHB?
@mikemearls : the saves are a DM tool as much as anything. That said, we handed out skill proficiencies knowing there is a disparity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Some more quotes if you don't visit the other thread.

quote:

@redcometcasval : That makes sense. I still don't like that the Evoker has an ability that does absolutely nothing as of right now.
@mikemearls : that makes two of us

@psikerlord : Can you tell us if there a feat buffing concentration in PHB?
@mikemearls : Don't believe so. Concentration is pretty key to balance - we'll avoid making it something you can ignore.
@psikerlord : hmm a shame IMO, guess self buffing ain't for straight wizards in 5e
@mikemearls : It's tricky to pull off - you basically need to rely on one buff at a time.

quote:

@CHoffos : Question Mike. Tiamat will be fought in the Finale of Tyranny of Dragons Rise of Tiamat correct?
@mikemearls : if your characters play their cards right, or wrong depending on how you look at it

@CHoffos : 2nd Question will Monsters with the same CR ever have diffrent XP values or will it be like the starter were they are the same
@mikemearls : believe equal cr means equal xp

@CHoffos : One more question will alerts be sent out when Basic D&D is updated.
@mikemearls : we'll have a news item on the site

quote:

@Plaguescarred : Does Empowered Evocation let you add your INT mod to every magic missiles?
@mikemearls : nope, just per target. Even though missiles are separate, it's technically one damage roll per target, not missile
@Plaguescarred : Ok thanks
@ritorix : So if you split the missiles to 3 different targets, it would get INT mod to each.
@mikemearls : Correct. Basically, it's gain +Int mod once per creature affected by the spell.

@Plaguescarred : Do you use the Use an Object action to drink potion, expand rod/wand/staff/ring charges? Ref rogue's Cunning Action + Fast Hand.
@mikemearls : items specify the actions needed to use them. Believe potion is an action
@Plaguescarred : I know it use an action. The question is, do you use the Use an Object action while doing so.
@mikemearls : I think so

@pukunui81 : What is a "divination card"? (Trinket #16) #DnD5e
@mikemearls : a card from a tarot deck or something similar

Dang it!

quote:

@Khanyoudigit1 : Text for blindsense says they "perceive" w/o seeing. I take it "perceive" and "see" are mechanically identical.
@mikemearls : basically

@monstermanual : Would it be easy to level up Hoard of the Dragon Queen for 5th level, post-Phandelver PCs? @mikemearls
@mikemearls : it's episodic, so you can start the campaign at the half way point, summarize what came before

@FoldableHuman : Do the starter set monsters use the most recent monster math or an old version due to printing deadlines, and what's changed?
@mikemearls : most recent math
@FoldableHuman : Does that mean CR 20 creatures have ~500 HP?
@mikemearls : sounds in the ballpark, but I don't have an MM manuscript handy
@FoldableHuman : Fighter DPR caps out around 45 w/o magic items. Is 12% HP/char/round the anticipated sweet spot, or are magic items assumed?
@FoldableHuman : (We've been making graphs)
@mikemearls : no magic items assume. @wotc_rodney would know more, but he's deep into the MM today

quote:

@Morrus : GODDAMMIT! There's a really obvious typo near the front of my playtest document. I checked that infinity plus one times!
@mikemearls : I'm pretty sure that every time you review a doc, the universe secretly adds a typo to it

@dungeonbastard : Just invented a new term for #DnD 5e: Disadvanrage. That's when you roll with advantage and still miss.

@Morrus : This is RIDICULOUSLY good. Monster ENCyclopedia: Aarakocra http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?356456-Monster-ENCyclopedia-Aarakocra … via @Morrus

quote:

@MWDuo : A wizard cannot cast more than 1 spell that requires concentration w/o the 1st spell ending. Why no buff stacking? @mikemearls
@mikemearls : a lot of balance to the table, nerfs alpha striking to some extent

@rdonoghue : Delighted and unsurprised to see @mikemearls being grown up about stuff.
@mikemearls : thanks!
@rdonoghue : I am possibly somewhat meaner on the topic of how skills are structured in the starter set, so it balances out.
@mikemearls : it was a pretty interesting read. Not sure if I should talk design intent or let you finish reading
@rdonoghue : Definitely let me finish, as I am entirely happy to be wrong along the way.

@SarahDarkmagic : There are huge blindspots when it comes to gender in the Starter Set adventure.
@mikemearls : Art or text? Or both?

quote:

@vikke064 : Why was "Shocking grasp" changed from a save? Also ruined my concept for a wizard using shocking grasp+sculpt spell...
@mikemearls : Sorry, no real insight into that.

@vikke064 : I have found at least one missing word in the Basic pdf. Any place to report them in a way that is easy for devs to handle?
@mikemearls : Not yet - hold on to it for now. And thanks for noting it!

@mikemearls : Another raft of rules options and modules for the DMG sent downriver to @gregbilsland - time for a cold drink and some fun in the sun.

quote:

@jurph : I love the new 5e rules. Wife was sad to see no paladin option - can I assume it's in the PHB with ranger, sorc, etc.?
@mikemearls : Correct!

@ETallitnics : Good day Mr. Mearls! Does the Thrown property satisfy the Rogue's Sneak Attack requirement of Ranged Weapon? #Thanks
@mikemearls : Yes, at least that is the intent, both for melee and ranged sneak attacks.

quote:

@Plaguescarred : Thrown weapon like handaxe is listed as melee weapon can you still Sneak Attack with it even if its not a ranged or finesse?
@mikemearls : yes, as it is a ranged weapon since it's thrown
@WolfHunter83 : You have said many times that Magic Items are optional. Why then the Rogue has the "Use Magic Devise" Feature?
@mikemearls : basically it's not powerful enough that not using it puts the rogue behind.

quote:

@MerricB : Concentration mechanic is really interesting - lots of effects I wasn't initially aware of. Want to see it in play! #dnd5e
mikemearls : I have to admit it's my favorite new rule. Cleans up stacking, makes lockdown effects and buffs much trickier to manage
@MerricB : And provides no end of amusement to the DM when a red dragon breathes on a group using a fly spell? ;)
@minipete : yup, we definitely had talks on that part of the fly/concentration mechanic...

‏@MerricB : How goes work on the Monster Manual? Can you give us any indication of how many monsters will be included? #dnd
@mikemearls : little too early for that - doing final fit and making final playtest changes

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
More tweets

quote:

@Plaguescarred : Can a rogue sneak attack with a net even if it deals no damage?
@mikemearls : No, sneak attack is additional damage.

@Plaguescarred : Can a halfling use a dwarf as a mount if willing?
@mikemearls : sounds fun... sure!

@TheModernScipio : Delighted by DnD basic, but saddened by the lack of damage on a miss. Any chance of it showing up in the PHB/DMG?
@mikemearls : alas, no. it caused a lot of questions in playtest. lots liked it, lots were confused.
@mikemearls : for instance, stuff like poisoned weapons, or smite spells, got kind of messy with it

quote:

@Plaguescarred : When you crit, do youalso roll all extra damage like Sneak Attack/Divine Strike again as well? Can seems like a lot
@mikemearls : yes - reroll all

@ZerounTheQuick : so...now my elf wizard loses 4 languages(1 sage & 3 Int mod) but can relearn for 1000 GP & 1000 days...no free Int mod language?
@mikemearls : yeah, it cheapened getting languages from backgrounds

@mikemearls : Tiamat Tuesdays: Tiers of Tiamat / Kobold Press http://www.koboldpress.com/k/front-page18252.php#.U7w81tOJT24.twitter

quote:

@Hadan_Ashcroft : Rogue: Fast Hands (Use an Object) so every round I can drink a potion, use a scroll or wand as a bonus action?
@mikemearls : nope - use an object does not refer to magic items. i made an earlier tweet that was in error.
@mikemearls : magic items are separate.

@Plaguescarred : Can a rogue sneak attack with a net even if it deals no damage?
@mikemearls : No, sneak attack is additional damage.
@Hadan_Ashcroft : Why? This rule only limits players into just attacking. I can use a net for 0 damage or my bow for d8+5d6.. er I attack
@mikemearls : a sneak attack is *extra* damage, needs initial damage to sit on top of. DM can rule otherwise, but that's intent

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Even more tweets if you don't visit the other thread, also I don't think anything is actually repeated, though one thing is mentioned twice using different wording.

quote:

@s_grindeland : Liked playtest Greataxe critting for more damage vs Greatsword as more reliable damage. Now only flavor & gp favor the Greataxe
@wotc_rodney : Also anyone that gets to roll one extra die on crits will favor the greataxe (like barbarians).
‏@s_grindeland : touché salesman - touché
@GX_Sigma : Wait, is that a feat or something? Fighters don't get that, right?
@wotc_rodney : Barbarian class feature.

quote:

@Brail4 : Elf Trance says, 'semi-conscious',how aware are they during trance?
@mikemearls : my call - treat them as sleeping

@Plaguescarred : Do thrown weapons coutn as both melee and ranged at all time or just ranged when thrown?
@mikemearls : my call would be count as both melee and ranged for purposes of qualifying for benefits

@Plaguescarred : Things like caltrop/ball bearings ref to moving at half speed how do you do that? Treating each 5' as 10 like difficult terain?
@mikemearls : yes, essentially pay an extra 1' per 1' moved

quote:

@Plaguescarred : Doffing armor says it can take half time with help, could a shield be doffed as a bonus action rather than an action with help?
@mikemearls : Don't see why not - that'd be more of a DM ruling thing, though

@Hadan_Ashcroft : Why 5e experience table so weird? between 10-11 (takes 21000) and 11-12 (takes only 15000).
@mikemearls : People stop playing at 10 - it's a weird divot, but leveling speeds up at 10+ to pull people through those doldrums

@Hadan_Ashcroft : "at least 1 hour of walking, fighting, ..." Long Rest interrupted by any combat or only combat that lasts more than an hour?
@mikemearls : Must last 1+ hours to break it

quote:

@rhykker : Would love for you to check out our #DnD livestream social experiment; viewers control the PC! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrwuLrpbY0M&list=UURl31PWkfF0a3j3hiDRaCGA
@mikemearls : interesting! I'll give it a watch later tonight.

@jephlewis : There's an alpha of D&D 5e's PHB floating around. Not sharing the link because reasons, but figured @mikemearls would want to know. #dnd5e
@mikemearls : Thanks! Info passed along.

‏@MarianoFranzese : overchannel allows a wizard to maximize cantrip's damage without damage, correct? #dnd5e
@mikemearls : rule as written, correct. However, i think it's an oversight. I'd have cantrips increase damage wiz takes by 1d12
@MarianoFranzese : thanks so much! Will be planned a correction to deny the use with cantrip?
@mikemearls : we're collecting rules questions now - not sure what the plan will be. That's Crawford's call to make.

quote:

@obsid : Can a someone use the "Hide" action in half cover, or three quarter cover? (in addition to total cover & heavily obscured)
@mikemearls : DM call - can the creature duck down behind the cover?

@obsid : a person is hiding with 30+ stealth, and moves to half cover or 3/4 cover, or a lightly obscured area can they stay hidden?
@mikemearls : same as below answer - a bit situational dependent. in general i'd allow it.

@mikemearls : Level 10 - 11 XP: It's by design. Data shows campaigns stop at 10, we're trying to speed up 10+ a bit so groups can reach 20 in a campaign
@mikemearls : Part of thinking behind that is it looks like campaign length might be dictated by how long the group can consistently meet.
@mikemearls : Interestingly enough, groups seemed to want to level much faster than we expected, and campaigns were shorter than we expected, too.

@PunPunKobold : I made a homebrew setup for 4e that lasted 10 levels but still gave you paragon and epic choices. Any info on condensing 5e?
@mikemearls : there'll be a quick progression XP table in the DMG
@Garmelbon : Will there be a table that allows for slower progression in the DMG as well?
@mikemearls : Yes

@SwampRob : My group has been playing since 1e, and we level up roughly every 3 - 4 sessions, or about once per month. There's no hurry.
@mikemearls : a lot of gamers are in college or high school - the average lengths seem to match up with semesters and school years

quote:

@FoldableHuman : Are Concentration save DCs supposed to become literally impossible? http://i.imgur.com/iafx6WJ.png
@mikemearls : actually, yes, depending on the critter. shutting down buffs/control spells is a big hazard at high levels.
@mikemearls : wizards have potential winning moves that need a LOT of work to use correctly.

@CHoffos : Is it possible for you to tell us any of the monsters that will be in Basic next month. Or at least how many dragons are in it.
@mikemearls : Definitely one dragon, several dozen critters

@ChameleonX4d : Is Eldritch Knight Fighter in PHB? Does it get actual spells/spell slots? Is it restricted to melee like the 4e Swordmage?
@mikemearls : In PHB, gets spell slots, focuses on a couple schools of magic

quote:

@sevensideddie : How are Long Rest interruptions meant to work? The land is in confusion & dismay! http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?730649-5e-So-if-a-long-rest-is-interrupted-you-start-all-overhttp://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/42123/does-a-short-combat-or-casting-one-spell-interrupt-a-long-rest
@mikemearls : interruption needs to be a full hour. Testers: "We rest 7 hours, a kobold knocks on the door, and now we have to start over?
@sevensideddie : Oh. But that means combat will never interrupt rest, since a 600-round combat is unheard of. Why list it at all then?
@mikemearls : there could be cases where it's valid - fight starts, now you need to leave the dungeon
@sevensideddie : Ah, so it’s meant to be fairly rare, more “we’ve given up resting for now,” not just attacks on the camp.
@mikemearls : exactly

@oguzcanayverdi : Quick rule question: Doesn't proficiency in Deception make proficiency with the disguise kit obsolete? How does this work?
@mikemearls : Disguise kit is used to build a visual disguise, so it would come into play vs. Intelligence checks

@JRutterbush : Rogue can use Strength-based thrown weapons for SA, but not other light weapons. Any reason light weapons aren't on their list?
@mikemearls : can't remember off the top of my head. in general, sneak attacking with any d6 or smaller melee weapon is OK

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
A few more tweets.

quote:

@dr_hobo_jones : for the champions expanded crit range, are 18-19 automatically a hit? Or are they only crit if attack hits?
@mikemearls : believe you get the auto hit and double damage
@dr_hobo_jones : sweet

@Hadan_Ashcroft : this makes no sense at all. We're trying to speed leveling up 10+. WHAT? From level 10 to 11 is a bigger gap not less. See OP
@mikemearls : the break may have been 11 - 12, sorry not looking at table, just drawing on design intent.
@mikemearls : XP needed should level off, increase as lower % of total at 10/11+

@grobolom : if you want people to play past level 10, wouldn't you want to speed up levels 1-10 instead?
@mikemearls : It's a little complex, since we don't have full data or complete insight
@mikemearls : we sped up 1 - 3, keep 4 - 10 about the same, tried to put 11+ on a faster schedule
@mikemearls : do people stop because of time, or because of complexity? If time, solved. If complexity,3-10 still satisfies

quote:

@Spam_On_Maui : Will any of the books have help/advice for escaping an older edition? I've got a campaign in 3.x I'd like to port...
@mikemearls : yes, we'll have conversion guides

quote:

@JRutterbush : handaxes and ranged attacks... "my call would be count as both melee and ranged for purposes of qualifying for benefits"
@JRutterbush : Wouldn't that mean that Archer Fighters could get +2 to melee attacks with a handaxe (or other thrown weapon)?
@mikemearls : As written, yes, but it would be better for that ability to say +2 to ranged attacks and also capture spells, which feels right
@mikemearls : technically, you could clobber someone over the head with a crossbow (improvised weapon) and get that bonus
@mikemearls : in my game, I'd restrict it to ranged attacks

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
And again more tweets:

quote:

@Brail4 : Magic missile on one target: (3d4+3) or (3d4+1) ?
@mikemearls : +3
@Brail4 : Sorry to bug you more but..EmpEvoc +int mod,if thats on one target,is that still +intmod or +intmodX3?
@mikemearls : empowered evocation applies only once

@Omgdestroyed : Burning Hands starts out at much higher damage (3d6) vs. Thunderwave (2d8). Again, intended?
@mikemearls : yes - thunder wave also pushes
@Omgdestroyed : Isn't it weird for Thunderwave to win over Burning Hands at later slots, while also having an arguably better additional effect
@mikemearls : it's not ideal, but works out in the key case of low level

@Omgdestroyed : Heal replaces Cure Wounds completely when gained: Ranged, maximum and much larger hp regained, cures afflictions etc. Intended?
@mikemearls : yes, but keep in mind it needs a higher minimum slot level

quote:

@Omgdestroyed : Also noticed that Thunderwave gains +d8/spell level, while Burning Hands only gains +d6/spell level. Thunderwave wins later on.
@mikemearls : yes, it's a little weird but judged to be easier than swapping die types at higher levels

@Omgdestroyed : Magic Missile, three missiles, three targets: Separate damage rolls, or once for all of them? What about a 2-1 missile split?
@mikemearls : one damage roll per target

@Gyor1 : will Planetouched be in the MM or DMG?
@mikemearls : don't believe either, but they are on the list for future

quote:

@Omgdestroyed : Thanks for the answer. Really impressed with Basic so far. Will the additional content for Basic release same day as PH does?

@blackwarder : where can we expect to get more flashed out interaction rules?
@mikemearls : dmg

@Abstruse : Now that the game's out, what's the official position on Actual Play podcasts?
@mikemearls : go for it!

quote:

@s_grindeland : Monsters w/ multiple melee reach get AoO from furthest? Ogre's large & has only 5' melee reach; AoO @ 5' reach?#DnD
@mikemearls : in general, use shortest

quote:

@Sword_of_Spirit : When planetouched come out sometime in the future, will we have the planescape/planetouched style tieflings?
@mikemearls : too early to say, but would not surprise me

@jrhyne1976 : Disengage no longer includes text that U move while disengaging. So does the action Disengage still allow movement?
@mikemearls : @Wizards_DnD when you disengage, you don't provoke for the rest of your turn. You use your normal movement

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
And more tweets:

quote:

@Acr0ssTh3P0nd : I want my PCs to have at least a 16 in their main stat (point buy) even if they dont get a racial bonus to that stat. How to do?
@mikemearls : I'd let them set one stat to 16 to start, then give the point buy budget less the cost of a 15.
@vikke064 : I would have loved the point buy to include 16. Why was that removed? Would costing 2 points more than 15 work?
@mikemearls : IIRC, point buy models the most common outcomes of 4d6, drop lowest.

@AlessandroVio11 : Since you are allowing different kinds of drow characters, will the deities Eilistraee and Vhaeraun appear in any core book?
@mikemearls : Sorry, can't say yet.

@JonathanBolding : Man, we did livestreamed D&D 5e on Thursday and it was just crippling for me to rewatch
@mikemearls : every GM should tape themselves and watch - you wince, but you also improve

quote:

@mikemearls : Stan Shinn's D&D 1e to 5e Combat Tracker: http://youtu.be/lLWm8hX-bg4 via @YouTube

@jimlhopper : Is that conversion info in the basic set?
@mikemearls : it's fan made, but we'll have conversion guides
@limpin_jezus : Will we have to wait for the DMG?
@mikemearls : it's a scheduling issue - no date yet

@jrhyne1976 : also, the green dragon in starter set has no resistance to magic?
@mikemearls : don't think so - it's a little on the weak end for a dragon, not legendary

@jrhyne1976 : using the black dragon in GODS Castle, has magic resistance. Does that have effect w spells that roll an attack instead of save?
@mikemearls : nope - those spells create a physical object that you then hurl/magically direct at a foe

quote:

@gregbilsland : Pretty handy reference for #dnd 5e. MT @ritorix: I created a "low ink" version of my #DnD player reference sheet. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7n5bpadgZz4cUFDZ0stLTRyRk0/

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
And a few more tweets:

quote:

@ChameleonX4d : Is Eldritch Knight Fighter in PHB? Does it get actual spells/spell slots? Is it restricted to melee like the 4e Swordmage?
@mikemearls : In PHB, gets spell slots, focuses on a couple schools of magic
@ChameleonX4d : focus as in bonus for using (like wizard) or as in restricted spell list?
@mikemearls : restricted list, I believe

@thalion94598 : When do you think you'll start releasing the "How to Play" videos?
@mikemearls : Not sure - we have a bit of a traffic jam going right now with respect to projects.

@Mostlyjoe : will there be psionics sooner than later for Dark Sun/Eberron fans?
@mikemearls : sorry, can't say either way

@mikemearls : It's here!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

RPZip posted:

Yeah, I got it as a slightly belated birthday present in the mail today. I'm going to run it on the forums, I think, just not sure in what format or how I should do applications since I want to use the pregens.

Man if you are going to run the Starter Set on the forums as a PbP I would be up for any of the pregens. I just want to try it out.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Gharbad the Weak posted:

The playtest actually had a thing where high level monks could potentially spend a ki to force an enemy to become vulnerable to blunt damage, then another ki to grab on and automatically hit with every attack. I hope that stays in, that's a silly silly thing.

Sadly that is gone. Pretty much all of the old elemental subclass options are gone. Now instead you get to pick various Elemental Disciplines. You start with 2, one of which is pre-picked. You get 3 more by 17th level. They mostly cast spells, at the initial level the spell is available, by expending ki points. At 5th level you can improve the level the spell is cast at by 1 per additional ki point you spend. Some of them aren't spells, but most of them are. So it is kind of like the Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster, only without actual spellslots.

That said the third option for Monk is the Shadow Monk, which gets a few stealth themed spells that it can cast for 3 ki points, the ability to step into one shadow and teleport to another shadow they can see as a bonus action, can become invisible in dim light or worse, and can eventually use a reaction to attack a creature within 5 feet of them that was just hit. Also all Monks at 14th level become Proficient in all Saves, and can spend 1 ki point to reroll a save.

Generic Octopus posted:

A worse Defender Aura.

Also, does Ki reset on short rest? Sorry if that was mentioned somewhere.

Yeah it takes a 1 hour meditation to regain ki, which can be done as part of a short or long rest. They also seem to get a lot more ki points than I remember, starting at 2 and getting 20 eventually. At level 20 they can use an action to regain 1 ki as well, so a 20th level monk will have 20 ki before each fight so long as they get 2 minutes of spending actions.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Speaking of tweets:

quote:

@doug_justice : I'm running the LMoP (loving it!) and the Bugbear picked up a greatsword. With his Brute ability, would he do 3d6 or 4d6?
@mikemearls : 3d6

@Hadan_Ashcroft : DnD 5e Stealth: Can I move out of cover and still gain advantage for having stealth or as soon as I move I am seen?
@mikemearls : DM's call. Typically no, unless a creature is looking away from you or otherwise wouldn't see you.

@DaveTheGame : I wonder if @mikemearls remembers this conversation, in which I will take credit for Advantage/Disadvantage: https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=6963408603037048958&postID=1738878152049218005
@mikemearls : wow, that's a blast from the past. Rare instance of past me looking smart after the fact.

quote:

@khelthros : The overchannel ability for wizards. Can it be used to max cantrip damage? At no cost as well, since it's a 0 level spell?
@mikemearls : as written, yes, but i'd house rule it to increase the damage by 1d12
@khelthros : I see... Wizards have insane damage (Meteor Swarm). Will other classes, like Fighters, be able to keep up?
@mikemearls : yes - compare meteor swarm's 40d6 to 8 attacks from a fighter using action surge. Fighter can easily get up to 140 damage
@khelthros : Thank you for answering. I'm excited to play, but worried that wizards will steal the show.Just noticed wizards cast less spells

@Brail4 : Are you allowed to say,will all of the spell schools have an Arcane Tradition in the phb?
@mikemearls : yes, each traditional school gets one

@MisterDaedalus : So are you guys doing a different subscription service for D&D 5e? Want to know whether I should keep paying DDI.
@mikemearls : it's separate - follow @DnDMorningstar for more info

quote:

@basmith7 : any plans to release a hard copy of the basic rules in the future?
@mikemearls : not yet.

@A_real_geek : Can you crit with a spell (assuming it has an attack-roll)? Rules seems to indicate that you can. #dnd
@mikemearls : yes, you can

quote:

@GameCrunchEma : Unarmed Strike: Shouldn't it be a light weapon? (one-two punch, you don't have to be a monk for that I guess). Just curious.
@mikemearls : it became default, which felt wrong for non-monks

@chimerasame : Can a low-init character ready an action, then take that action if legit triggered by a high-init character in the next round?

@Ooze : Something I didnt understood about Inspiration rule: Why would I give my Inspiration to other PC if the GM could do the same?
@Ooze : I mean, since they don't stack, the better option would be tip the DM to give the PC an Inspiration instead I give up mine.
@Ooze : Or I miss something?
@mikemearls : you might give it at a dramatic moment or when the player needs to make a key role
@mikemearls : idea is that good rp helps entire table

quote:

@WolfHunter83 : In the Monster Manual or in the DMG, can we expect to see rules for Fiend/demonic and spiritic possession, for horror campaign?
@mikemearls : can't remember off the top of my head. sorry!

@wordsncode : Will monsters in the MM have a proficiency bonus? in LMoP it looks like most have a prof-bon of 2. #guessing#DnD5e
@mikemearls : yes, they have one based on their CR.

@aideddorg : Why official Character Sheet does have a space to put Inspiration value if rules says you have it or not, so no value ?
@mikemearls : it's like a check box - i put a d20 there to mark when I have it.

quote:

@eerongal : hiding: attacking w/ ranged it says you give away your location, does this cancel hiding? Doesn't say you are "seen" or "heard"
@mikemearls : Yes, others are aware of you

@mrlong78 : Page 90: Faeire Fire
@mikemearls : in the queue of fixes!

@notBowen : Any ETA on PDFs for the Starter Set pregens? At least I think you guys said you intended to put them out there.
@mikemearls : I'll check this afternoon - I thought they were going up this week.

@CHoffos : I like to use art to make tokens. so will the art from the stater set be uploaded on the D&D site?
@mikemearls : sorry, don't know for sure. will check around.

quote:

@mikemearls : Hey everyone, looks like I've been answering some rules questions with an outdated version of Basic D&D. Corrections to follow.
@mikemearls : Barbarians no longer lose their rage abilities for one week after eating a meal using a fork, spoon, or knife.
@mikemearls : It is no longer legal in OP to attack bard player characters on sight.
@mikemearls : Druid players are no longer required to bring living animals to the table to represent beast forms they want to transform into.
@mikemearls : Paladins no longer receive XP penalties for, and I quote "making with the sexy times."
@mikemearls : The latest revisions to the spells chapter means that the spells no longer, in fact, work in real life.
@mikemearls : Please change the damage for "A withering critique of an opponent's rapping ability" from 3d12 psychic damage to 2d6 cold damage.
@mikemearls : Last but not least, you no longer need to "bust out real karate moves" on anyone at the table to gain bonus damage on a critical hit.
@mikemearls : Thanks for being understanding, and sorry for those oversights. I have updated my files to the latest versions.

quote:

@smokekodiak : Will there be boons and other non-magic item rewards in DMG?
@mikemearls : I believe so. I know some rules were drafted, but not sure how they worked out.

@ETallitnics : Good Morning Mr. Mearls! Can you confirm that this example of Sneak Attack is correct please?
http://community.wizards.com/comment/50897521#comment-50897521 … Thank you!
@mikemearls : Looks correct to me.
@ETallitnics : Sorry, to be clear, your confirmation includes the Cleric's Divine Strike? Either way thank you for your time.
@mikemearls : divine strike specifies *your* turn, so you wouldn't get it on an oppy

@Brail4 : Will Tensers Disk be in phb or do I need to convince DM to houserule it in somehow? I miss my disk :[
@mikemearls : It's there!

@wachunga : which classes made it in the upcoming PHB? I haven't seen this confirmed yet.
@mikemearls : Barbarian, bard, cleric, druid, fighter, monk, paladin, ranger, rogue, sorcerer, warlock, wizard

quote:

@Celestian_GC : So THACO is an option in the PHB? The real question, is it included in the adventures stat blocks? #adnd
@mikemearls : it's in the DMG

quote:

@Fjw1970 : When you attack while hidden are you still hidden or do you have to use the hide action to re-hide?
@wotc_rodney : Basic Rules, page 73: If you are hidden...when you make an attack, you give away your location when the attack hits or misses.
@Fjw1970 : So when you give away your location you are no longer hidden and you would have to take the hide action to hide again. Correct?
@wotc_rodney : Correct!

‏@seanbonney : Climber's Kit not a #dnd5e tool? Why not add to STR(Athletics) or DEX(Acrobatics) when doing rope work?
@wotc_rodney : B/c we don't want tools to overlap with skills. On a given task, we try to make sure there's 1 way to get prof bonus
@seanbonney : Still confused. Doesn't the Disguise Kit tool overlap with CHA (Deception)?
@wotc_rodney : Not necessarily. Making a disguise and bluffing someone are two different things.
@wotc_rodney : For example, I might create disguises for all of my party members to make them look like soldiers.
@wotc_rodney : That would pass a visual test, but if someone started questioning me, I'd need to make Charisma (Deception) checks
@seanbonney : What is check for "visual test"? Disguise maker rolling CHA (Persuasion) + Pro Bonus vs viewer's passive Percep?
@wotc_rodney : It largely depends on the situation, but in most cases I'd say it's likely a contest against Int (Investigation).
‏@wotc_rodney : But a lot of that is going to depend on the situation at hand, so the DM has to decide what's most appropriate

quote:

@MrMattFree : Hit dice question! Basic rules say you get half your HD back at a long rest but doesn't say round up. What does a 1st lvl do?
@mikemearls : should be minimum 1.

@jimmyjimjam01 : Are the pregen character sheets from the D&D starter box going to be released online this week?
@mikemearls : they should be released soon - i know it's on the schedule.

@AirPower25 : quick Q. If I have reach (10 ft), do I only get an opportunity attack if enemy moves to 15 ft?
@mikemearls : yes, you attack when they leave your reach

@redcometcasval : What are the odds of things like Draconian being in that big crate of monsters you talked about earlier this week?
@mikemearls : not too high - a little too closely tied to one setting

@Kynewulf74 : With kender in the DMG and references to Dragonlance in the Basic rules, will Draconians be in the MM?
@mikemearls : not a high chance - a little too tightly tied to one setting

@mikemearls : ICv2 - Jim Zub on the New 'D&D' Series http://icv2.com/articles/news/29095.html#.U8i-1R_1r3Y.twitter

quote:

@dndiy_ft : Quick question for you: at 1st level, if you take a long rest. Do you regain 1 HD back or none(from rounding down of .5)? thx!
@mikemearls : you get 1 - should be min. 1 for long rest

@diversionArch : Mike, in the new MM will stat blocks include minimum spell info to run it, or will we have to reference elsewhere for the spell?
@mikemearls : it looks like you'll have to reference spell, but we are sticking to simple options

@Callan_s : Hi! How does the term 'per turn' work? Could a PC who can make an attack 'per turn' make an attack on everyone elses turn?
@mikemearls : yes, though you'd still need to use your action or reaction

quote:

@Gyor1 : just reread ur LL on Tieflings, it appear u chose a different direction. Love 5e Tiefling, but curious as to why?
@mikemearls : can't remember exactly why - think we looked at another option for a general, plane-touched race

@Brail4 : what would the action sequence be like for sheathing one weapon,drawing another,and attacking?Is that all 1 action?
@mikemearls : yeah - the intent is to avoid punishing players for that stuff by charging an action

@ZerounTheQuick : 2wf clarification: can only use 2wf to attack one creature since bonus action w/action, or can attack 2 diff. Enemies with 2wf?
@mikemearls : can attack two targets

quote:

@Brail4 : Are feats going to be the only way to gain weapon/armor profs?Or can you train like with tools?
@mikemearls : think training is an option DMs can use, but not assumed

@vikke064 : Is there anything decided about skill system versions for the DMG, e.g. similar to 3.x skill points? Houserules on the way...
@mikemearls : option in dmg

@thalion94598 : Will there be henchmen and hireling rules in the PHB or DMG?
@mikemearls : dmg

quote:

@mpetruzz : Can you dash with both your action and bonus action? @Wizards_DnD @mikemearls Only if you're wearing red?
@mikemearls : believe you can

@Sam_Urfer : Any chance the Goliaths made into MM/DMG?
@mikemearls : gith in mm, goliaths not in core

@twetzel2k : are the #dndstarterset rules any different than the basic pdf? Have read that page to page, want to save time.
@mikemearls : nope, same rules

quote:

@Brail4 : CunningAction for dash,dash,move would be 30+30+30 right? (assuming 30 move speed) Or have I got my math wrong?
@mikemearls : believe that's correct

@DrDragonlance : Hi Mike, is there a save versus the Sleep spell?
@mikemearls : nope

@dromaskald : A DM judges it easy
For the monk, not the paladin PC
To climb up a wall
With no armor at all:
May she give Pally a diff'rent DC?
@mikemearls : yes - it's all in the DM's hands

@ianjg2002 : when will Dragon be ready for 5e? I have got some killer ideas to submit.
@mikemearls : no news yet, sorry

quote:

@MerricB : G'day,Mike! Are we going to be able to charge into combat in the full rules? Curious why it isn't in Basic #dnd
@ObsidianCrane : most likely only as a feat as in play test. I'm ok with that in truth.
@mikemearls : @MerricB yeah - the 3e and 4e rules made charging worth a separate rule. Oppy atk and move rules make it easy to spam charge

@SnarkKnight1 : What would be examples of Strength, Intelligence, or Charisma saving throws?
@mikemearls : Strength save - resist a gust of wind or push effect
mikemearls : Int save - psionics when we do it
@mikemearls : charisma - possession
@mikemearls : I think this is an area where we will see more as designers get more used to the edition

@Omgdestroyed : RAW, Wizards have to reprepare a whole new list of spells, using time for spells that were on the previous list, too. Intended?
@mikemearls : nope, not intent, just spend time on changes

quote:

@Omgdestroyed : Any chance of a glimpse/preview of the Wizard's Abjuration Tradition? Very broad school, very interested in how you handle that.
@mikemearls : it works well as a defensive wizard. Swordmage = abjurer + fighter

@Omgdestroyed : Also, Circle of Power (Paladin spell) from the playtest seemed like it would fit Abjurers/any Wizard perfectly. Changed in PHB?
@mikemearls : no - trying to carve out some unique spells for paladins. Rangers bards

@jaceimba : Does a rogue get more than 1 reaction during the first round with thief's reflexes?
@mikemearls : kind of - you get your reaction back when your turn starts. You can't accumulate more than 1
@jaceimba : So it breaks the once per round rule of reaction as long as you use one reaction before your second turn during the first round?
@mikemearls : correct!

@jaceimba : Is the RAI for characters to have only 1 reaction per round?It's under 'Ready' but not in the Reaction section of the rule.
@mikemearls : yes, that is rule as intended

quote:

@yusakuasano : Hey Mike. Any chance to see muls in DMG? Or have to wait sthing for Dark Sun?
@mikemearls : sorry, not until dark sun

@allforjury : In Re: wizards cantrips Via elf racial ability. If one takes Shocking Grasp does the damage go up with Level? @mikemearls
@mikemearls : yes, it goes up

@MonumentGames : what is the purpose of the light property on hand crossbows as Two Weapon Fighting rules specify only melee weapons can be used?
@mikemearls : it might come into play with other abilities or DM rulings. For instance, tight passage where non-light weapons have disad.

quote:

@jrhyne1976 : Can spells affect somebody underwater? Like if something is hiding underwater, can a Ray of Frost effect it? If so, penalties?
@mikemearls : DM can grant disadvantage for cloudy water, etc, but no standard rule

@Silent0siris : Anyone know if the Basic Rules will get some monster stat blocks before September? @mikemearls?
@mikemearls : yes - august

@hewwagner : Can the wizard have the thaumaturgy cantrip? I feel like a lot of its powers are things that Gandalf does, at least in the films
‏@mikemearls : if you house rule that, won't affect balance

quote:

@Spam_On_Maui : Will the PHB have enough info to rescue me from PF? @_@ Help!
@mikemearls : hopefully yes! =)

@Brail4 : what would the action sequence be like for sheathing one weapon,drawing another,and attacking?Is that all 1 action?
@mikemearls : yeah - the intent is to avoid punishing players for that stuff by charging an action
@vikke064 : In http://media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/DnDBasicRules(PrinterFriendly).pdf#page=70 … it seems you only get strictly one interaction, either sheathing or drawing a weapon.
@mikemearls : DM is free to make a call, based on the situation

@ETallitnics : Good evening! Concerning weapons with the Reach property: Opportunity Attacks are provoked at 5' or 10' or both? #Thanks
@mikemearls : 10 feet

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

neonchameleon posted:

Why? Why do you think they are inevitable?

Seriously, I'm currently designing a 4e retroclone. Look at all the classes please, and find me any lackluster powers. And if I agree with you I will beef them up or take them out. (This isn't the same as boring powers - some of the powers are deliberately boring because not everyone likes moving parts).

Balancing five chains of powers means balancing all the moving parts against each other. It's both hideous and confining.

Actually is there a thread for your retroclone? Or a thread where people are making retroclones and yours can be talked about?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I am thinking I might houserule that feature to either give them on at the start of each of their turns, or maybe just give them their full number of dice when they roll initiative instead of 1 and without requiring them to be out of them for it to trigger.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I remember when a 12th level Monk could teleport their speed at will as their move, that was nice. And back then if you got to 20th level your capstone was setting all your stats to 20. Which was kind of weird and made you spending any of your attribute boosts on actually increasing your stats a bad idea if you had any chance of reaching 20th level.

Back in the playtest some classes and subclasses had capstones or high level abilities that basically replenished one or two of their points every round if they had none, or perhaps period even if they had some. This lets Monks at 20th just spam their ki points and the Battlemaster or whatever it is/was called could at that point just keep using maneuvers. This hardly seemed broken, and if anything seemed like it might not be enough. But now every instance of that I can find seems to have been nerfed to pretty much utter uselessness.

The only thing that I can think of that was buffed was apparently the Warlock between the Alpha and the PHB, because apparently in the Alpha their spell slots were daily with their level 20 feature allowing them to replenish their slots 1/day after a short rest. But now their slots are refreshed after a short rest and the level 20 feature allows them to 1/day replenish them after 1 minute.

Also the Evoker high level feature that adds Int to damage on evocation spells is only once per target, but it seems nothing like that effects the Warlock Invocation that adds Cha to Eldritch Blast damage doesn't have that restriction. Then again Eldritch Blast can only hit up to 4 times and is just a cantrip while the Evoker feature works on all evocation spells.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Tell me about it. Playtest Monk at high levels could grab a guy, inflict bludgeon vulnerability, then auto-hit like four times while his fist was on fire.

Also I preferred something like this to the spellcasting Elemental monk we eventually got.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Huh, this is an interesting build someone has.

quote:

Why play a Blade Pact Warlock?

The Polelocke - Level 5 Human Warlock:
-Blade Pact: Form a Glaive/Halberd/Pike (congrats, you're proficient with it)
-War Caster Feat (Human Variant): Adv on Conc Checks, Cast while Wielding Weapons, Replace an opportunity attack with a spell that targets a single creature.
-Polearm Master Feat (Level 4): Can use the haft as a 1d4 melee weapon as a bonus action, enemies who enter your reach grant an opportunity attack.
-Invocations: Agonizing Blast (Cha to Eldritch Blast); Repelling Blast (Eldritch Blast knocks target 10 feet away); Thirsting Blade (two attacks);

Now you have a character with reach attacks who can also hit with the Haft of his Polearm for a 1d4 weapon damage melee attack (nothing says that attack doesn't get your strength bonus).

And now for the juicy part, when someone enters your reach (in addition to leaving your reach) you get to make an Opportunity Attack against them. With Warcaster you can instead cast a spell that takes a single action - which will likely be Eldritch Blast (this is a Reach weapon, so when he enters your range he isn't within 5 feet of you, so no disadvantage). So you get to hit him up to twice for 1d10+Cha and potentially knock him back 20 feet away from you. The enemy is now hurting, up to 25 feet away, and may not be able to even get to you without using his action to dash. And this isn't even on your turn.

Technically you can do this from level 4, but only with 1 Blast/Attack. And it just gets better at higher levels. Once you get Thirsting Blade to add your Cha to your pact weapon's damage that means that you're attacking 2x for 1d10+cha+str and 1x for 1d4+cha+str in addition to having devastating opportunity attacks.

Pick whatever Patron you wish. My suggestion is Fiend for the extra staying power it's features provide and it gives you some much needed AoE options with your spells.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?357844-Why-play-a-pact-blade-warlock#ixzz39mN1ZqxV

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I am running two 5e games on the forums, though they are not fully updated to the PHB yet and are using adventures from the playtest.

In fact one of those games could still really use another 4th level character if someone was interested and could post frequently.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

slydingdoor posted:

Monks get 4 attacks 5 times between any rest at level 5, 6 levels/one whole 'tier of play' before a dual wielding fighter. After that they can dip Warlock 2 for practically permanent Mage Armor (should put you at 20 AC), another Invocation such as 120 ft magic darkness-proof darkvision, and 2 uses every rest of the spell Hex.

Pick a target within 90 ft as a bonus action, give them disadvantage on checks to one ability score and deal 1d6 necrotic damage whenever you hit them. Which you can do 4 times.

Just don't lose concentration on it.

Either or. Also I don't think monk unarmed strikes are finesse anymore, so no sneak attacking with them. As if anyone would multiclass rogue monk anyway though.

Hmm Monk/Warlock does indeed seem cool, though might want some more Monk levels for some at will teleport that Warlocks in this edition don't get. I think the Shadow Monk's ability to teleport from shadow to shadow was at will.

Also why would you want Mage Armor on a Monk? Doesn't it still not stack with the Wis to AC?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So Fighter doesn't really live up to a lot of legendary heroes, but if we were to try and create a subclass specifically to emulate some of those things, perhaps not as powerful as slashing mountains but great leaping and various other heroic things how would you go about it?

Maybe a subclass that gets a bunch of spells, both concentration and otherwise, as permanent "non-magial" effects. Like maybe permanently under the effect of Jump at 3rd or something, or maybe just double then triple, quadruple, etc jumping distance at various levels in addition to other effects.

Maybe get Longstider, or Expeditious Retreat, or better yet Haste, as a permanent effect at some point to just be faster than others. Maybe something to deal double damage to objects.

Perhaps something like Stoneskin, basically resistance to physical non magic damage.

Perhaps something that doubles, eventually tripling, and more, carrying capacity. Would be nice if there was some way to lift or punch a river to redirect it, but not seeing a passive buff spell for that.

Maybe a capstone of permanent Foresight? Which is certainly powerful but not blasting huge spells kind of thing and can still feel like just exceptional prowess and skill instead of just casting spells.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So yeah came across an interesting multiclass combo on the WotC forums:

quote:

Champion Fighter 7/Bard 2

Remarkable Athele gives you half your proficiency bonus, rounded UP, to any Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution check you make that doesn't already use your proficiency bonus. Bard's Jack of All Trades gives you half of your proficiency bonus, rounded DOWN, to ANY ability check that doesn't already include it.

Here is what this does. For any Str, Dex, or Con check, the rounding up and down even out and you ALWAYS end up with your precise proficiency bonus if you don't already add your proficiency bonus to the roll. And, if I am reading this right, ANY Str, Dex, or Con check works even if no existing skill proficiency applies. Int, Wis and Con still get your proficiency bonus rounded down, so that's +2 to +3 to any of those (level 9 is +4 prof, half is +2, you don't get +3 til character level 17).

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
That isn't what it is doing. It has two separate features that work similarly, but not exactly the same, that add half of proficiency bonus to checks that don't get proficiency bonus. Neither feature will add to a skill or save that you are actually proficient in, but when both features work, which is only for the physical stats, they add together to basically be equivalent to having proficiency even though you don't actually have proficiency.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

LongDarkNight posted:

Alpha playtest DMG doesn't have anything about DM advice. I figure they'll just copy/paste the 3.0 DMG section and call it a day.

Oh man you got to see the Alpha DMG as well? Did the alpha have rules for playing as monsters as the preview for the actual DMG had listed?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Some people on RPG.net have been working on trying to make a more worthy fighter class. One person had this as a brief idea, obviously it would have more options if they finish it up but it looks kind of interesting.

Yakk;18240363 posted:

Talents Known

code:
         0    1    2    3    4    5    6
  1      1
  2      2
  3      3    
  4      2    1
  5      2    2
  6      2    3
  7      2    2    1
  8      2    2    2
  9      2    2    3
 10      2    2    2    1
 11      2    2    2    2
 12      2    2    2    3
 13      2    2    2    2    1
 14      2    2    2    2    2
 15      2    2    2    2    3
 16      2    2    2    2    2    1
 17      2    2    2    2    2    2
 18      2    2    2    2    2    3
 19      2    2    2    2    2    2    1
 20      2    2    2    2    2    2    2
At each level you either learn a new Talent, or upgrade a low level one. When you reach level 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 or 18, you pick a talent of your highest level, and learn it at the next level up.

Sample Talent ideas:
Leap: You can jump 2/3/5/10/20/50/100 times farther than normal. If you spend an action to jump, this can exceed your normal speed. You can melee attack after using an action to jump as a bonus action, dealing an extra (ability leveld12) damage if the attack hits.

Strength: You have advantage on Strength checks to lift, push or pull, or to resist same. You can carry (ability level+character level/2, round up)*2 times more weight than normal. If you fail a Strength saving throw and have your second wind available, you can reroll the save. If the reroll fails, you lose your second wind and the save succeeds. Your current and maximum strength increases by (ability level*2).

Leadership: A follower is any ally who acknowledges you as their leader. Once per round as a reaction you can add d3/d4/d6/d8/d10/d12/d20 to a failed check or save a follower who can see or hear you makes: if the check still fails, you regain your reaction. Your followers have advantage on all saves against fear or effects (such as charm) that would promote disloyalty to you. Others can feel your leadership, and may want to follow you.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah I'm not sure the Monk qualifies as a Glass Cannon, especially at low levels. They aren't that much lower HP than any other class, except a Barbarian. But more importantly their damage is absolutely terrible. Any class with Fighting Style can select Two Weapon Fighting and do at least that much damage, if not more. Yes with ki points you can get another negligible attack, but after 1st level the others have resources they can spend to up their damage as well. And they aren't using a d4 weapon for like 6 levels.

Still have no clue why they felt the need to lower the Monk's damage at all levels.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Man I haven't been posting much in this thread recently, had to go back more than 20 pages to find my last post. About those houserules, not sure if that means the Fighter automatically gets all 3 archetypes, or if those changes are only if they don't pick the Eldritch Knight archetype.

Going back to trying to improve the fighter I am trying to find all the mentions I had about trying to improve it in this thread, which includes a quote from someone on another forum with a real neat idea that I wish they had finished.

Ryuujin posted:

So Fighter doesn't really live up to a lot of legendary heroes, but if we were to try and create a subclass specifically to emulate some of those things, perhaps not as powerful as slashing mountains but great leaping and various other heroic things how would you go about it?

Maybe a subclass that gets a bunch of spells, both concentration and otherwise, as permanent "non-magial" effects. Like maybe permanently under the effect of Jump at 3rd or something, or maybe just double then triple, quadruple, etc jumping distance at various levels in addition to other effects.

Maybe get Longstider, or Expeditious Retreat, or better yet Haste, as a permanent effect at some point to just be faster than others. Maybe something to deal double damage to objects.

Perhaps something like Stoneskin, basically resistance to physical non magic damage.

Perhaps something that doubles, eventually tripling, and more, carrying capacity. Would be nice if there was some way to lift or punch a river to redirect it, but not seeing a passive buff spell for that.

Maybe a capstone of permanent Foresight? Which is certainly powerful but not blasting huge spells kind of thing and can still feel like just exceptional prowess and skill instead of just casting spells.

Seems it was just the one post after all. Still got some stuff from another topic on RPG.net:

Yakk;18240363 posted:

Talents Known

code:
         0    1    2    3    4    5    6
  1      1
  2      2
  3      3    
  4      2    1
  5      2    2
  6      2    3
  7      2    2    1
  8      2    2    2
  9      2    2    3
 10      2    2    2    1
 11      2    2    2    2
 12      2    2    2    3
 13      2    2    2    2    1
 14      2    2    2    2    2
 15      2    2    2    2    3
 16      2    2    2    2    2    1
 17      2    2    2    2    2    2
 18      2    2    2    2    2    3
 19      2    2    2    2    2    2    1
 20      2    2    2    2    2    2    2
At each level you either learn a new Talent, or upgrade a low level one. When you reach level 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 or 18, you pick a talent of your highest level, and learn it at the next level up.

Sample Talent ideas:
Leap: You can jump 2/3/5/10/20/50/100 times farther than normal. If you spend an action to jump, this can exceed your normal speed. You can melee attack after using an action to jump as a bonus action, dealing an extra (ability leveld12) damage if the attack hits.

Strength: You have advantage on Strength checks to lift, push or pull, or to resist same. You can carry (ability level+character level/2, round up)*2 times more weight than normal. If you fail a Strength saving throw and have your second wind available, you can reroll the save. If the reroll fails, you lose your second wind and the save succeeds. Your current and maximum strength increases by (ability level*2).

Leadership: A follower is any ally who acknowledges you as their leader. Once per round as a reaction you can add d3/d4/d6/d8/d10/d12/d20 to a failed check or save a follower who can see or hear you makes: if the check still fails, you regain your reaction. Your followers have advantage on all saves against fear or effects (such as charm) that would promote disloyalty to you. Others can feel your leadership, and may want to follow you.

Pretty much everything Yakk was doing sounded better than my idea, but isn't remotely complete as it needs a lot more options to fill all those choices as it levels. But if Yakk ever finished that just going off of the samples I would certainly want to play it.

Yakk posted:

It was stolen from the pre-Greyhawk thief I read about. Basically they used the M-U spell table, and instead of spells you learned Thief Talents. These talents where simply things you could do (like pick locks) automatically without a check.

I'm a bit leery about "per day". I'd rather just make the class awesome.

You'll notice I tied something to Second Wind: that is one mechanic for "can only use rarely".

Crits are another one. If the character crits on an increasing range, being able to use an ability when you crit is good.

The downside to "crit" feeding ablities is that they are mechanics, not mythic talents. I want to aim for mythic talents. Few mythic heros have "does double damage on a crit", while they do have "extremely strong".

Now, "extremely strong" can be split between multiple talents -- the above is lift. You could imagine other ones.

Ryuujin posted:

Like I said I like the way it looks and would like to see you expand it. What kind of chasis is it on? The current fighter? Something else? And this is just a base ability rather than something gained from a subclass right? What kind of subclasses would it have?

Briefly I had the idea of something like the Dungeoncrasher fighter, basically doing extra damage if you smash people into walls and stuff, but I had also thought what if the character also got that extra damage when attacking an object, to represent their greater ability to break through things. Would be nice for better ways to break bonds, then again a Worthy Fighter picking Strength as one of their level 6 abilities would potentially have 32 Strength which might give them a pretty good chance of breaking things anyway.

Still like the idea of a fighter eventually getting something equivalent to permanent Foresight, but that might actually be straight broken. And would really prefer the mythic abilities not being in terms of spells.

Yakk posted:

Because I think pure combat attributes are a bad idea -- we should instead grant the character awesome abilities that can be used in combat, which would grant both combat utility *and* non-combat utility -- here is an attempt at a list:

Lifting, Jumping, Leadership, Deciept, Impenetrability, Senses, Reflexes, Grip, Throwing Arm, Endurance, Running, Swinging/Tumbling, Tactics, Strategy, Morale, Grit, Gusto, Practice, Analyze, Stubbornness, Luck...

These are taken from the mythic (non-spellcaster) heros I'm aware of. Can you think of others?

Adding "extra damage" is easy.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Strength of Many it got brought up in my recruit, and I think in here, but does the Fighter houserule that gives it Champion and Battlemaster features at 3rd level mean that the Fighter ends up with all 3 archetypes? Or does taking that mean not getting the choice of Archetype at 3rd level, and thus no Eldritch Knight?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
How would that work? Are you casting the Eldritch Blast in addition to the attack, or instead of it? Are you hitting and then shooting all your Eldritch Blasts into whoever you hit? Does that somehow cancel out the disadvantage for firing them at something within 5'? Or just using the Pact Blade in place of an Arcane Focus? How does that interact with Thirsting Blade? Do you now get to attack twice with each attack releasing a full set of Eldritch Blasts? How does Agonizing Blast and Lifedrinker interact? What about Repelling Blast or Eldritch Spear?

The Warlock in the playtest, years ago now, had Eldritch Blast as an option, still pretty sure it didn't get it automatically, but I believe it did something like 3d6 at 1st level and 4d6 at 3rd level, the playtest at that time only went to level 5 but it presumably would have gone up to 5d6 at 6th level, and so on. It was an at will invocation, one of only two at the time. Of course this was back when cantrips didn't scale and Magic Missile was a cantrip that did 1d4+1 damage, no attack roll or save.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So on another forum the topic of the Intellect Devourer came up, with some thinking its perfectly fine and not somehow a save or die. Others of course thought differently. But the biggest thing that came up is that they could not find any rules for what happens when a stat reaches 0, just what modifier is used or if checks using that stat auto fail or what. So not only is the Intellect Devourer a terrible save or die at CR 2, with a number of ways to get its attack off before anyone is aware of it, but it also tries to impose a condition that the rules don't account for.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Can't say for sure yet, also no idea if Ritorix is changing things. But so far we dealt with a bunch of cultists, first by disguising ourselves as cultists, then by taking some out in the smoke of their own attempt to burn a stone building.

Then we sent out a champion to fight the Half-Dragon leading the cultist attack, who at least had a good portrait. But completely and totally stomped the Paladin we sent out in a single round. Haven't gotten much further than that so no idea how good or bad it really is.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
What does CTR+SHIFT+8 do? Rerolling stats until you get a real good array is pretty classic for Baldur's Gate though. Although it might drive you crazy when you keep doing it and then accidentally go to far by clicking reroll when a good stat array came up.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Wow that sounds like it sucks right now, hoping it gets better. And as far as I can tell I have not gotten an invitation yet. And I entered the same day it went up, then again thousands of people probably did too.

EDIT: Just checked my emails again and well it looks like I just got in.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 1, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So yeah looking to level up a Warlock, and trying to figure out if the Chain Pact plus Voice of the Chain Master invocation means he can look through his imp's eyes without using an action/being blind, or if he would still follow the rules for Find Familiar where it takes an action and causes him to be blind during the use only with the expanded range of Voice of the Chain Master.

Basically I wanted to cast Darkness and then cast spells, I could do this with either Devil's Sight, or possibly by looking through the Imp's eyes, since it has Devil's Sight. But wasn't sure if the second would work.

So what does everyone think?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Warlocks are a little squishier, especially with poor armor choices. I actually tried out the Spellsniper + Eldritch Spear combo, and it didn't do a lot of good. Yes I was initially able to attack from far away without any reasonable retaliation, others could try but at disadvantage. But the problem comes up when terrain features force you to close just so you can actually see your target. Yes I ignore anything short of full cover, but I still have to be able to see my target.

So you get closer so that you can actually see some enemies, then one of them steals an ally's horse, rushes toward you as they try to escape, until they are in longbow range and shoot you with two arrows on their turn. Then they threaten to shoot your dying body again if your allies don't let them escape.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well there actually is a thread for discussing play experience, though it may be more geared toward PbP play since PBP is in its title. It is in The Game Room and is stickied so it should not be hard to find if you have actual play experience you want to talk about.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
And Pathfinder still doesn't have an official martial shapeshifter, you know a class that is actually better than a Druid at shapeshifting but gets no spells. Despite how many people were asking for one when they were talking about the, at the time, future supplement that was all around building new classes that were a mashup of two others.

There have been some 3rd party ones, but they are either worse than the Druid at shapeshifting, while also not having spellcasting, or have some other things tacked on that are completely and utterly broken in all likelihood beyond even 9th level Wizard and Cleric spellcasting would be.

That is another thing I was disappointed with in 5e. The Druid path that focuses on Wild Shape wasn't strong enough on wild shaping and still has way too much spellcasting baggage for the kind of thing I wanted to see. And at least at the moment no other class gets anything like Wild Shape. Also I am super disappointed that Wild Shape is strictly weaker than spells that the Druid, and Wizard, get. Even the Warlock can get a once per day that can have better forms, though that spell has the restriction of losing class features when it is cast on you.

I really wish there were more subclasses, and I REALLY wish that the subclasses changed more about their classes than they do. Most of the subclasses feel like afterthoughts that have little effect on the class. And the Fighter ones in particular seem disappointing.

Which reminds me how I wish the one Fighter talent idea someone had on the RPG.net forums had actually gotten fully fleshed out because I actually liked the ideas they were having. Also wish I, with some help, had finished fleshing out that one idea for a Fighter subclass I had. Where they would basically gain permanent buffs that were kind of like various spell buffs.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

I guess that is kind of clever since it seems to just take whoever clicked on it to their own member info. Not that it really answers the question. Of course polisurgist linking to Ferrinus's member info didn't really answer the question either.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The Combat Dice did not get refreshed at the start of your turn, this was a common misconception. They got refreshed at the start of every turn. So if you used them to add damage or perform a maneuver on your turn they would refresh in time for you to use them to reduce damage from an enemy's attack on their turn.

Those two things are some of the nice things fighters once had, that was then given to pretty much everyone, and then eventually faded out. Admittedly at the time no one had extra attacks. Though the fighter could get a maneuver to attack everyone adjacent by spending their dice, and the monk who was the only other class with maneuvers that used those dice could flurry to give up a die or two to make up to 2 or 3 total attacks, unlike anyone else.

Also in a late playtest packet, like the last couple public playtests, the Fighter looked a lot like this except it got its second crit expansion at like level 7. Also in that packet the Fighter got special crit riders, doing a dot or knocking people prone or something on a crit.

Another packet, back when subclasses were introduced, had the Knight subclass for the fighter which got some charisma stuff, and eventually got a couple low level fighters to follow it around.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Peas and Rice posted:

I think this is the heart of it for me. Since I pretty much skipped 4e entirely and no one in our group wants to run it, we're fine going straight to 5e, and the 5e rules are what I wanted 3.P to be.

E: There aren't any online character creators yet, are there. Sigh.

There is kind of one. The Dungeonscape thing that is supposed to be a character builder, and eventually some other stuff. It is in Beta right now though, a closed Beta so not everyone has gotten access. Perhaps someone has a link to the thing where you can sign up. It wasn't all that great yet the last time I used it.

I hope it actually gets to be as good as the old 4e Offline Builder, and it would be nice if it could export a file that could be inputted into something like Orokos for all the character sheet viewing and dice rolling needs like the 4e character builder's exports can.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well the talk of the Ravenloft campaign earlier gave me a terrible idea. There was that Grim Requiem game for 2e, where you played as undead. And now I am trying something stupid. I am going to try and convert Grim Requiem to 5e and try and run it on the forums.

And here it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Huh playing around with Dungeonscape again, still not seeing an option to choose Expertise for a Rogue or Bard. But when picking a Rogue with the Criminal background it had me pick an extra skill after picking the 4 skills for the Rogue. I think this was to make up for both Rogue and Criminal getting Thieves' Tools proficiency.